What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Paging Willis McGahee..... (1 Viewer)

Steel Town

Footballguy
What the hell happened to this guy yesterday? Reportedly, he was healthy and ready to go....but didn't even see the field. Did Harbaugh catch him in bed with his wife? Given the performance of Ray Rice, I am beginning to think Willis may be worthless to fantasy owners in the weeks ahead. Anyone have perspective on what unfolded yesterday?

What the hell happened to this guy yesterday? Reportedly, he was healthy and ready to go....but didn't even see the field. Did Harbaugh catch him in bed with his wife? Given the performance of Ray Rice, I am beginning to think Willis may be worthless to fantasy owners in the weeks ahead. Anyone have perspective on what unfolded yesterday?
The 27 carry performance the week before must have been heavy burden for him. Looked like he could have played, the reason he was dressed for game, but most likely was the emergency plan. If McGahee is healthy enough to start a game...he should be fine. Problem now is that we've seen his coach dress him and give no indication that he wasn't going to play beforehand, but not use him. Maybe it's all the years of dealing with Skeletor, but that could be a bad sign in getting a feel for what to expect.

I just picked up Rice as a FA in my league!

I thought i was dreaming.

Im kinda curious what Raven homers think as well!

The Ravens are pretty committed to the 3-headed monster at RB. Willis was nicked and didn't practice much this week so Harbaugh simply let Rice go all the way. But it wouldn't surprise me the least little bit to see the roles flip flopped at some point in the near future. Harbaugh doesn't give a hoot about our fantasy teams. He'll go with whoever has the best chance at being successful on any given play.

The Ravens are pretty committed to the 3-headed monster at RB. Willis was nicked and didn't practice much this week so Harbaugh simply let Rice go all the way. But it wouldn't surprise me the least little bit to see the roles flip flopped at some point in the near future. Harbaugh doesn't give a hoot about our fantasy teams. He'll go with whoever has the best chance at being successful on any given play.
:lmao: It'll be interesting to see where this goes next year.

The more I see this mess the more I want to stay away....until 2009 when Willis is gone and Rice gets a full workload each week.

1) Off season surgery

2) Banged up all year

3) Didn't practice much this week

4) Two guys behind him on the depth chart who have been playing well

5) Listed as questionable as late as Friday

I don't care what the news was Sunday morning, starting Willis was a terrible fantasy coaching decision.

Then why not say so right before the game. It won't affect preparation at all. :blackdot:

Then why not say so right before the game. It won't affect preparation at all. :moneybag:
'Cuz I think that Harbaugh doesn't really decide most games until they actually start. I know that sounds crazy but I think if Rice and/or McClain had gotten off to a rocky start yesterday, then Willis would have been given a chance. Maybe sometimes they wanna see the defensive package before deciding. I just think he's making the call on the fly from game to game.

I don't see it that way. In games Willis was healthy McClain got very limited touches and had pretty much been supplanted by Rice as the change of pace back. But even Rice was not more than a third down/change of pace back in games Willis was healthy. Basically up until this week it was Willis job and looked nothing like a 3 headed monster. Now, I'd say a healthy Willis will make this a two headed monster with Rice. Mclain if all but fazed out when Willis is healthy going back to his FB role and getting just a few carries a game.Going forward I'd say McClain has no fantasy value in games Willis is healthy. In games Willis is hurt McClain has limited fantasy value because he has obviously taken a back seat to Rice. My guess is it's the Rice and Mcghaee show from this point forward. I'd rather have Rice due to better health and he in PPR leagues he is catching more passes than Willis but I expect Willis to get the bulk of the goal line work. So in my opinion it's not a two headed monster, not a 3 headed monster.

I don't see it that way. In games Willis was healthy McClain got very limited touches and had pretty much been supplanted by Rice as the change of pace back. But even Rice was not more than a third down/change of pace back in games Willis was healthy. Basically up until this week it was Willis job and looked nothing like a 3 headed monster. Now, I'd say a healthy Willis will make this a two headed monster with Rice. Mclain if all but fazed out when Willis is healthy going back to his FB role and getting just a few carries a game.Going forward I'd say McClain has no fantasy value in games Willis is healthy. In games Willis is hurt McClain has limited fantasy value because he has obviously taken a back seat to Rice. My guess is it's the Rice and Mcghaee show from this point forward. I'd rather have Rice due to better health and he in PPR leagues he is catching more passes than Willis but I expect Willis to get the bulk of the goal line work. So in my opinion it's not a two headed monster, not a 3 headed monster.
I went back and checked the boxscores. Except for weeks 3 and 4, where McClain got more carries, Willis has been getting about 60% of the load when he's ready to play. I think I'd agree that he's the main guy when he's 100%. But I watch every one of their games and I swear that I have no idea from week to week who to expect to line up in the backfield, or how often. And I still believe that Harbaugh is making a lot of his playing decisions on ingame instincts.

I agree that McGahee will get most of the carries when he's healthy, but I also believe this is his last year in Baltimore. Rice is more suited for Harbaugh's offense.

According to the nfl.com gamebook, he did play (he is listed as a substitute, not a "did not play"). That fact makes the difference between a win or a loss in one league, because we have a "backup" rule that if your starter doesn't see the field, a designated backup in switched in (his was D. Ward). We use nfl.com gamebooks at the official record, and it shows he did see the field.

I agree that McGahee will get most of the carries when he's healthy, but I also believe this is his last year in Baltimore. Rice is more suited for Harbaugh's offense.
:lmao: I think what's happening is what the Ravens wanted to happen all along. As a Rice owner in dynasty and a McGahee owner in redraft - even though it's been incredibly frustrating - I applaud the way Harbaugh has handled this. They aren't handing Rice anything. Character building and all that there stuff...

:lmao: :lmao: :pickle: You beat me to it. People just looking at stats were thinking McClain was the man for the first 3/4 weeks. If you watched the games, you'd see that McGahee was the man anytime he was healthy. He's been very unlucky this year or he's just a *uss, but whenever he's "healthy" he is the feature back.

You could be right that yesterday's performance will make Rice/McGahee a 2 headed monster, but I'd bet it goes back to the split we saw week 8 where rice had 11 touches. There's no reason not to assume a healthy Willis would have had a similar day had he been given the work.

I went back and checked the boxscores. Except for weeks 3 and 4, where McClain got more carries, Willis has been getting about 60% of the load when he's ready to play. I think I'd agree that he's the main guy when he's 100%. But I watch every one of their games and I swear that I have no idea from week to week who to expect to line up in the backfield, or how often. And I still believe that Harbaugh is making a lot of his playing decisions on ingame instincts.
box scores are misleading, as is "healthy".....He was healthy going in to the game where he got gouged in the eye twice at the goal line. That week it was ALL willis, then he got gouged, came out, tried to come back, couldn't, came back later, got gouged again. Could have easily had 100 and 3tds with no eye problems that game. Instead, McClain looked to be the man.

According to the nfl.com gamebook, he did play (he is listed as a substitute, not a "did not play"). That fact makes the difference between a win or a loss in one league, because we have a "backup" rule that if your starter doesn't see the field, a designated backup in switched in (his was D. Ward). We use nfl.com gamebooks at the official record, and it shows he did see the field.
I'm pretty sure he did not see the field. I don't know if you can trust the gamebook completely, that's put together for the media.I find it hard to believe that All 53 guys minus the Backup QB play every week. :coffee:I mean Harbaugh said this
Rice’s backup was regular starter Willis McGahee, who suited up but was hobbled all last week by an ankle injury. The Ravens were hoping to keep McGahee on the sidelines while Rice carried the workload."We kind of put him in the emergency back mode this week," head coach John Harbaugh said. "I thought Willis did a great job all week of getting that thing right. He was banged up. When we came back Wednesday and Thursday, he really couldn't practice at all."He could've gone to if we needed him, and he wanted to go. But Ray Rice and Le'Ron McClain did a tremendous job."
So I don't see how he came in for a couple plays to block

What is McGahee's contract status with BALT? Given the large number of injuries he has sustained this year, what is the chance that he is traded or released during the offseason? We saw it with Alexander and Rudi this past year, although both of those guys had a longer track record of being ineffective even when healthy. McGahee still seems effective for the most part. Will cost and injury unreliability really lead to BALT getting rid of him?

What is McGahee's contract status with BALT? Given the large number of injuries he has sustained this year, what is the chance that he is traded or released during the offseason? We saw it with Alexander and Rudi this past year, although both of those guys had a longer track record of being ineffective even when healthy. McGahee still seems effective for the most part. Will cost and injury unreliability really lead to BALT getting rid of him?
I may be wrong, but I thought I remember something about 7yr, 40M he signed last year.

I'm pretty sure he did not see the field. I don't know if you can trust the gamebook completely, that's put together for the media.I find it hard to believe that All 53 guys minus the Backup QB play every week. :2cents:I mean Harbaugh said this
Rice’s backup was regular starter Willis McGahee, who suited up but was hobbled all last week by an ankle injury. The Ravens were hoping to keep McGahee on the sidelines while Rice carried the workload."We kind of put him in the emergency back mode this week," head coach John Harbaugh said. "I thought Willis did a great job all week of getting that thing right. He was banged up. When we came back Wednesday and Thursday, he really couldn't practice at all."He could've gone to if we needed him, and he wanted to go. But Ray Rice and Le'Ron McClain did a tremendous job."
So I don't see how he came in for a couple plays to block
SO HOW IN THE WORLD DOES CHRIS MORTENSON COME ON AND SAY MCGAHEE WILL BE STARTING? This guy is officially a hack.BTW, I am a Rice owner, but wtf?

Last edited by a moderator:
They probably figured they could beat Cleveland with Rice and McClain, so why not let McGahee get 100%. They've got some tough games down the stretch (Philly, NYG, Wash, Pitt, Dal, Jax)

So, McGahee is still not practicing? How does that happen? He was dressed and ready to go last week....doesn't play, but is still questionable...I don't get it.

RB McGahee Limited, Looks Good

Aaron Wilson, Carroll County Times - [Full Article]

Ravens RB Willis McGahee, who was held out last week with an ankle injury, practiced on a limited basis Wednesday and got a good review from HC John Harbaugh. "Willis looked good, it's the ankle more than the knee," Harbaugh said. "The knee is feeling really good, he says, and he's working the ankle back. So, this should be a good week for him."

They probably figured they could beat Cleveland with Rice and McClain, so why not let McGahee get 100%. They've got some tough games down the stretch (Philly, NYG, Wash, Pitt, Dal, Jax)
That logic doesn't make sense, because Rice > McGhaee, and I always say play your best players.

Couple of things from the local talk show circuits in Bmore (take it for what it is worth):

Willis practiced all week with the team taking just as many snaps as Rice did during practice prior to the Cleveland game, this came from Ray Rice yesterday on 105.7 The Fan

Speculation on the same show was that Willis has been dinged/hurt and the Cleveland game was used as his bye-week since the hurricane screwed the Ravens out of a mid-season bye week.

According to Rice and McClain, all three backs are very close to being healthy.

The Ravens may continue to feature two backs until all three are healthy. This mean Willis and Rice if McClain gets dinged.

It is a tough read. When the Ravens have been successful, the back getting the touches in the third and fourth quarter is the one that ends up with the best numbers. Baltimore has dominated time of possession and run with success in the third and fourth quarters. It is a game-time feel, what back is the freshest, what back is having the most success, that guys gets the rock when the Ravens are beating down the tired defense and holding the ball for 7+ minutes.

The coaching staff realizes that this team is in the hunt for a playoff spot, therefore, they're looking at having Willis fresh and healthy for the second half run as Flacco progresses. They haven't lost much with McClain and Rice in his place.

Lorenzo Neal is a beast and always has produced successful HB's behind his blocking.

McClain will continue to get short yardage and goal line carries until his legs AND arms fall off, he is a the short-yardage/goal-line guy. With TE Wilcox still out, there is no other TD vulture on this team.

Look at Cam Cameron's record with RBs and how they're used. The OC is dictating the rotation, not Harbaugh.

All the RBs are getting along well, learning from Willis and Neal who have been very giving with passing along their knowledge of the game/situations/blitz reads, etc. Baltimore is actually playing like a team for the first time...ever. Defensive guys and Offensive guys are talking and encouraging each other, unlike the Billick era.

It's a three headed RBBC that will be dominated by two backs each game until all three are healthy, then who knows what the split will be.

There is a murmor in the press that Harbaugh doesn't like Willis (and CB MacCallister). Speculation has been that both of these guys are riding the pine because they don't buy into Harbaugh's idea of what the team should be. Some have speculated that McGahee, MacCallister, Stover, Gregg, Heap, and one or two of the combination of Suggs, Lewis and Bart Scott won't be back next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some have speculated that McGahee, MacCallister, Stover, Gregg, Heap, and one or two of the combination of Suggs, Lewis and Bart Scott won't be back next year.
The Ravens owner recently said they have been talking to Lewis about extending his contract, and if he becomes a free agent they would actively pursue him.

(unwelcomed)GUEST said:
McClain will continue to get short yardage and goal line carries until his legs AND arms fall off, he is a the short-yardage/goal-line guy. With TE Wilcox still out, there is no other TD vulture on this team..
I don't buy this at all. Willis has pretty much got all the goal line looks when he's been healthy. For instance in the Cleveland game earlier this year Willis pulled himself twice due to his eye and both times McClain punched it in. Before this past weeks game Willis was pretty much getting all the goal line looks. I've said it mulitiple times on here but in goal line formations when Willis is healthy he lines up at RB while McClain lines up at FB. I do think McClain will get some looks but not enough to make him starter worthy. I think, so long as Willis stays healthy, it's a two headed monster with him and Rice but McClain is all but out of the picture and pretty had been for awhile until Willis did not play last week.

(unwelcomed)GUEST said:
McClain will continue to get short yardage and goal line carries until his legs AND arms fall off, he is a the short-yardage/goal-line guy. With TE Wilcox still out, there is no other TD vulture on this team..
I don't buy this at all. Willis has pretty much got all the goal line looks when he's been healthy. For instance in the Cleveland game earlier this year Willis pulled himself twice due to his eye and both times McClain punched it in. Before this past weeks game Willis was pretty much getting all the goal line looks. I've said it mulitiple times on here but in goal line formations when Willis is healthy he lines up at RB while McClain lines up at FB. I do think McClain will get some looks but not enough to make him starter worthy. I think, so long as Willis stays healthy, it's a two headed monster with him and Rice but McClain is all but out of the picture and pretty had been for awhile until Willis did not play last week.
menobrown and I have both been arguing this for weeks. Willis has been treated as the feature back each and every time he's been healthy. Problem is, that hasn't happened very often so it's misleading.

I had planned on it, I figured either way he would get touches and would be productive against the Texans, but I was able to get Mewelde Moore back after I dropped him earlier this week so I will avoid the Ravens again. I still think Rice will have a good week, regardless.

This is driving me crazy who to start.

Rice probably the safest ploy in PPR, Willis the gamble because IF FIT "Shakes Head" could run all over Houston for a monster score.

So would you guys start Ray Rice this Sunday now that McGahee is probable?
Great performance last week + young guy + new regime doesn't seem to love McGahee = hard to take him off the field. At worst he'll split time, but I don't see him taking a back seat to Willis unless the guy really underperforms and McGahee shines in the early going.

So would you guys start Ray Rice this Sunday now that McGahee is probable?
Great performance last week + young guy + new regime doesn't seem to love McGahee = hard to take him off the field. At worst he'll split time, but I don't see him taking a back seat to Willis unless the guy really underperforms and McGahee shines in the early going.
I'm not sure I agree with this - seems it's a full blown RBBC when all are healthy.:pagingravnzfan:He should have a little more insight here.

Couple of things from the local talk show circuits in Bmore (take it for what it is worth):Willis practiced all week with the team taking just as many snaps as Rice did during practice prior to the Cleveland game, this came from Ray Rice yesterday on 105.7 The FanSpeculation on the same show was that Willis has been dinged/hurt and the Cleveland game was used as his bye-week since the hurricane screwed the Ravens out of a mid-season bye week.According to Rice and McClain, all three backs are very close to being healthy.The Ravens may continue to feature two backs until all three are healthy. This mean Willis and Rice if McClain gets dinged.It is a tough read. When the Ravens have been successful, the back getting the touches in the third and fourth quarter is the one that ends up with the best numbers. Baltimore has dominated time of possession and run with success in the third and fourth quarters. It is a game-time feel, what back is the freshest, what back is having the most success, that guys gets the rock when the Ravens are beating down the tired defense and holding the ball for 7+ minutes.The coaching staff realizes that this team is in the hunt for a playoff spot, therefore, they're looking at having Willis fresh and healthy for the second half run as Flacco progresses. They haven't lost much with McClain and Rice in his place.Lorenzo Neal is a beast and always has produced successful HB's behind his blocking. McClain will continue to get short yardage and goal line carries until his legs AND arms fall off, he is a the short-yardage/goal-line guy. With TE Wilcox still out, there is no other TD vulture on this team.Look at Cam Cameron's record with RBs and how they're used. The OC is dictating the rotation, not Harbaugh.All the RBs are getting along well, learning from Willis and Neal who have been very giving with passing along their knowledge of the game/situations/blitz reads, etc. Baltimore is actually playing like a team for the first time...ever. Defensive guys and Offensive guys are talking and encouraging each other, unlike the Billick era.It's a three headed RBBC that will be dominated by two backs each game until all three are healthy, then who knows what the split will be.There is a murmor in the press that Harbaugh doesn't like Willis (and CB MacCallister). Speculation has been that both of these guys are riding the pine because they don't buy into Harbaugh's idea of what the team should be. Some have speculated that McGahee, MacCallister, Stover, Gregg, Heap, and one or two of the combination of Suggs, Lewis and Bart Scott won't be back next year.
:thumbup:This is some nice solid info that skims down the speculation a bit.

Rice is the safe play, especially in PPR.

Last week was an anomaly with Flacco throwing that much. The recipe for Baltimore down the stretch is simple - play good defense and run the ball 40+ times. That includes short passes to Rice.

Harbaugh thinks Rice is his big play back. McGahee is still the feature guy as mentioned earlier when full strength, but that's a diminished label because Rice has shown too much to limit his touches.

Cameron is calling the show on offense. Harbaugh pretty much defers to him and doesn't interfere. Seems to be working.

When healthy I'd expect 15-20 touches for McGahee, 10-15 for Rice and 5-10 for McClain. That's a big range when pieced all together (30-45) but I'm reasonably confident that'd be the plan. McClain only gets short / GL touches but he's a force inside and does that job well.

This week? I'd lean towards Rice over McGahee just because McGahee hasn't shown he's 100%. It's a good matchup with the Texans losing Zach Diles.

Neither MacGahee, McClain nor Rice are listed on the injury report and all three practiced throughout the week. IMHO this is time to start MacGahee. I'm trying to catch updates on the local radio programs, they're talking about McAllister's move to IR right now.

Users who are viewing this thread