What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patrick Stewart will star in new Star Trek TV series as Jean-Luc Picard (2 Viewers)

It was lying around in the glass box last episode: the golem. I think it's an entirely biological body, no android parts at all... Dr. Soong Jr. was going to use it for an android but managed to put Picard's mind in it instead.

Or whatever. Who cares. This thing sucked.
Yea I know but I guess it molds to look exactly like he did before? What's the point then? I'd want a hot new body if I was being transferred to an Android. 

But yes that is besides the point. This show was awful. 

And, for at least the second time in my memory, Trek has again found a practical cure for "death" by putting Picards mind in the golem (plus, also, apparently invented a magic wand that can restitch metal and fool an entire fleet and do literally anything you can imagine) and I'm sure neither will ever be spoken of again. 

I hate when Trek solves a problem with some magic out of nowhere that it then forgets about. The worst offender of following their own continuity. 
OMG the magic wand. That was even more ridiculous than the magic rewind device from the first episode that showed past events based on molecules. I was just laughing at the absurdity of it. 

Got a two month free trial of Paramount+ to give these Trek shows a try.

For this show, I overpaid. It doesn't just miss the mark - it's flat out bad.

And...Profanity in Star Trek? More than the colorful metaphor type? Yuck.

I hope Discovery is better...

I'm trying to power through discovery... it's okay.  Expect more profanity.

Discovery is horrible.

The best elements of Discovery are Jason Issacs in S1 and Anson Mount in S2, but since they are both straight white males, they needed to be put on the backburner for wokeism. The show pushes inclusiveness then they kick off the brown guy and then kick off the actress with the real life eating disorder.

The productions values are top notch and clearly there is a large budget to support the show, the writing is just ugly though.

The real missed opportunity was Lower Decks. If that was live action and treated as a legitimate drama, that would have been interesting. Seeing the people who struggle at the fringes of Star Fleet to just get by on a day to day basis.

Discovery is horrible.

The best elements of Discovery are Jason Issacs in S1 and Anson Mount in S2, but since they are both straight white males, they needed to be put on the backburner for wokeism. The show pushes inclusiveness then they kick off the brown guy and then kick off the actress with the real life eating disorder
Yeah, I'm seeing these elements already.

Who knew even Klingons were racist amongst themselves?

That near final shot in Picard was absurd too - "Oh shoot! We haven't had any same sexness in our show. Quick! Show a same sex couple holding hands!"

Guess I'll just return to my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Dufresne said:
Yeah, I'm seeing these elements already.

Who knew even Klingons were racist amongst themselves?

That near final shot in Picard was absurd too - "Oh shoot! We haven't had any same sexness in our show. Quick! Show a same sex couple holding hands!"

Guess I'll just return to my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica.

I agree with everyone here.  I really want to like Disco, Picard, etc, but they just suuuuck... Why does each season have to have a "big bad" overarching storyline?  It's like they do not trust their world building at this point to let the crew just "live" in it.  They made a big move to go to the 29th century and "the burn" itself was an interesting enough storyline until they maguffined their way out of it. Now you have a whole new galaxy with some really cool tech to boot, so lets go back to a "universal crisis issue" and bounce off of there.  SUXOR!

Maybe Picard with Q coming back may be interesting.   I doubt it.

Tried to make it through Discovery a few months ago… it’s so, so bad. Beyond terrible and non-sensical writing, Michael Burnham is an even more massive Mary Sue than Rey in the SW new trilogy. Absolutely hilarious they pulled an Andromeda in season 3 too, IMO. I feel like I could write pages and pages on how bad it is but there’s tons of rants all over the internet that can explain better than I can.

Picard was majorly disappointing as well. Lower Decks on the other hand is actually pretty good, although the animated, sarcastic, irreverent, sci-fi show trope is getting a little stale IMO.

Episode 1 s2 is out. I liked it. Q, 7 of 9, The Brog, Guinan.
well, I liked where they were going, but the "big explosion" (18 hours earlier) style nonsense made me really question if I wanted to invest in this again.  I guess there has to be a "big event" to get a 90 year old former starfleet captain away from his winery in France (and maybe DISCO hogging the "big bad" made this feel like a retread), but I'm like "okay this season will be another big circle jerk to end up right where we started.  I hope I'm wrong. (to be fair, everyone other than PS seemed to be on an interesting trajectory.  I'd almost prefer they kill off PS at some point and move on with the rest of the cast.)

.  I hope I'm wrong. (to be fair, everyone other than PS seemed to be on an interesting trajectory.  I'd almost prefer they kill off PS at some point and move on with the rest of the cast
You make a good point. PS wasn't what made the first episode enjoyable. 

My favorite thing about Discovery is they'll create some tension like "Engineering!  We need 30 more seconds of shields or we're all going to die!  Get on that now!"  They'll then cut to engineering where they're all standing around making sad faces and talking about their feelings for five solid minutes.

I finished watching season 1 of Picard over the weekend. It has all the problems already mentioned up thread, but my main problems with it haven't been mentioned yet (I don't think).

1) Patrick Stewart isn't very good in this. He's pretty much a caricature of the character from TNG series throughout. Tough to watch.

2) And this is the bigger issue for me. The basic premise and the plot points that flow from it are idiotic. There are many facets to the idiocy. Like you can manufacture high resolution "offspring" of Data - including behavior - from a single Data molecule. Sure. The main idiocy I couldn't shake throughout was the non-sensical bungling of this anti-synthetics cabal. Apparently they've existed for centuries (millennia?), and have infiltrated Star Fleet for decades (centuries?) but rather than just offing Data years ago, or offing Soong even more years ago, they decide to wait until nearly too late to figure out where this galaxy's (quadrant's?) post human synths are being produced and living to go into genocide mode. And, maybe instead of enacting an elaborate plot involving surrounding a suspected synth working on a Borg cube to see if she's a synth and then tricking her into exposing the location of synthville (along with hunting down and killing her sister in a prior feeble attempt to stop the synths), maybe just get it from the Daystrom institute doctor who they know has been travelling back and forth to the synth workshop planet. Even better, just track that guy directly. I mean, Picard and friends figured out where he was in about 5 minutes. Barring that, when they get Allison Pill to help out, instead of instructing her to extract the location from that guy (because they're lovers and he'd trust her, maybe even take her there and get inside the place so she can sabotage from there) they instruct her to just flat out kill him. There's more stuff like that, but its just a whole lot of stupid.

Season 2 is worse than season 1 so far. They have zero original ideas. They're leaning on a mash up of time travel and alternate universe to drive this season. I absolutely hate both of those as plot devices almost every time someone tries to employ them. I don't have confidence this will be one of the very few times someone uses them effectively.

I tried to get into Picard but couldn't get through season 1. Just didn't dig it.

But, while it seems most of the folks here who hated Picard also hated Discovery, I actually liked Discovery very much (especially season 1). And Below Decks was a pretty good show to watch with my teenager. So I'll likely get Paramount+ for a month pretty soon just to see those two. I can't imagine giving Picard another chance, though. I'm out.

Q accidentally creates a future where humanity is space nazis. They went back in time to 2024 to fix it. So now they can write every single political sledge hammer trope lazy hack writers have opined (climate, immigration, racism, vaccine chips, etc) because "hey it's not the future now we can jam this stuff in there." They're just going all out. Can't wait for "Trump" to show up and be the reason for the fascist future. 

Again not watching just seeing people review it.

Commercials showed a bunch of Time Travel and alternate/mirror universe stuff so I didn’t even bother. Trek has beat that particular horse to death so much I wasn’t interested.

Even rehashing plot points from old TNG episodes. I was wondering if Picard would just say "Your subconscious has been repeatedly making explicit references to the number 15. This reminds me of the time that Data did the same thing with the number 3..."

Hell even Q flat out called out an episode by title: "Picard, this is so Yesterday's Enterprise of you" when discussing changing the timeline :lmao:

OK, this latest episode... what if Soong's plan worked? Not the first one, the backup plan? I almost wish it had, just for the scene that would follow...

"OK Mr. Q., I did what you wanted, Renee's not going on that rocket. Now give me the stuff to cure my daughter."

"Sure, sure, of course... you did the job? You sure she's not going up?"

"Definitely not. She and that Picard of yours aren't going anywhere. I killed them."

"Oh, joyous! I must hear this. I've been trying to kill Picard for so long, please, tell me, how was my foe, my nemesis, finally vanquished? How did the insufferable Jean-Luc Picard finally meet defeat and death by the machinations of Q?"

"I hit him with my car."

"Excuse me?"

"I hit him with my car."

"You hit him with your car? Jean-Luc Picard? I moved entire planets trying to kill this man. I forced him to bear the suffering of the entire human race to destroy his soul. Once, I actually did kill him, just so I could go into his afterlife and bring him back and torment him again. And you hit him with your car? That's it? No final coup de grace? No pithy last words? No final moment of realization that he was bested by Q? You just kneecapped him with a Tesla? That's how Jean-Luc Picard met his end?"

This show isn't just bad. It's stupid. Which is a real slap in the face to the franchise.

Allison Pill singing an ez listening jazz version of Shadows of The Night. That actually happened. Like 5 minutes of show time for that. And that may not even have been the worst part of that particular episode.

It's a hate watch for me now. I hope the "creative team" never get to work on anything produced for public consumption again.

This show isn't just bad. It's stupid. Which is a real slap in the face to the franchise.

Allison Pill singing an ez listening jazz version of Shadows of The Night. That actually happened. Like 5 minutes of show time for that. And that may not even have been the worst part of that particular episode.

It's a hate watch for me now. I hope the "creative team" never get to work on anything produced for public consumption again.
I haven't felt the desire to watch more than the first episode or two and I seem to be one of the few that actually didn't hate the first season

Users who are viewing this thread