What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pats Had a New Deal with Logan Mankins (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
Schefter is reporting that the Pats and Mankins had reached a contract agreement but the team requested a public apology and the deal fell through.

Two weeks before they had quarterback Tom Brady under contract, the New England Patriots nearly re-signed Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins.But at the last moment, just when both sides thought there would be a deal, talks collapsed over an apology, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation.About two weeks ago, Mankins and his agent Frank Bauer arrived at the Patriots training facility in Foxboro, Mass., with both sides intending and believing they would be able to hammer out a long-term deal similar to the seven-year, $56.7 million contract that Pro Bowl guard Jahri Evans signed with New Orleans in the spring.Shortly before the deal could be consummated, the Patriots asked Mankins to apologize to Patriots owner Robert Kraft for comments he made in June, questioning the New England owner's integrity. Mankins did. He called Kraft, apologized and explained why he spoke out in the way he did. It was a nice conversation and it paved the way for Mankins' long-term deal to be consummated.Then, about 90 minutes later, just before finalizing the deal, the Patriots requested Mankins issue a public apology. Not only did Mankins refuse, but he became offended, according to sources. The optimism that had been built, the momentum that the talks had generated, completed collapsed -- and even regressed.Now Mankins no longer wants to play in New England, the Patriots may be forced to trade him, and there is no resolution is in sight -- despite the fact that one was so close so recently.Mankins, a two-time Pro Bowler, would have been an unrestricted free agent under the rules of the last collective bargaining agreement. However, when the owners opted out of the deal, triggering 2010's uncapped year, only players with six years in the NFL gained unrestricted status.Mankins has refused to sign his $3.26 million tender offer from the Patriots.A trade will not be easy. Any interested team would have to satisfy the Patriots' and Mankins' wishes for compensation. One might be easy; two would be extremely difficult.The two sides went from the brink of a deal to being at the brink of Mankins’ career in New England.

"yeah you already apologized in person but now we want you to apologize in public to cement the fact that you were the bad guy here ... now please sign"

I don't think it was telling him he had to apologize publicly that did it. They told him he then would have to kneel and kiss the feet of Tom Brady. That's when he was all "F that"!

Now Mankins no longer wants to play in New England,

but for real this time!!!!
Both sides are acting like little children.

The Patriots are being pety in demanding a public apology after Mankins already apologized to Kraft in private.

Mankins should have kept his mouth shut and not have embarrassed himself by calling the team and ownership out in public. There is never anything to gain by negotiating in public.

Now the Pat's don't have Mankins on the field and Mankins doesn't have financial security for his family. Both sides come out looking like morons.

Louisville Slugger said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

The Patriots are being pety in demanding a public apology after Mankins already apologized to Kraft in private.

Mankins should have kept his mouth shut and not have embarrassed himself by calling the team and ownership out in public. There is never anything to gain by negotiating in public.

Now the Pat's don't have Mankins on the field and Mankins doesn't have financial security for his family. Both sides come out looking like morons.
Perhaps Mankins should have kept his mouth shut in this case but there's often a lot to gain by negotiating in public. Public perception matters and if it didn't, the Pats wouldn't have demanded a public apology after they had a private one.

Louisville Slugger said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

I'm pretty sure Mankins has made enough money to be financially secure. He doesn't seem like they type to go waste it on "bling" :2cents:

Louisville Slugger said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

I'm pretty sure Mankins has made enough money to be financially secure. He doesn't seem like they type to go waste it on "bling" :2cents:
Mankins has played for 5 years and made $6.4 million. I'm not sure that would make him financially secure . . . certainly well off, but I doubt he would be considered set for life.

Louisville Slugger said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

Mankins has played for 5 years and made $6.4 million. I'm not sure that would make him financially secure . . . certainly well off, but I doubt he would be considered set for life.
seriously?

Louisville Slugger said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

I'm pretty sure Mankins has made enough money to be financially secure. He doesn't seem like they type to go waste it on "bling" :(
I don't know how you spend your money, but I can somehow stretch out 60% of 6.4 million over the course of a lifetime. I guess I wouldn't order cheese on my whoppers, but I could make it work.

I'm calling shenanigans on this. You can't get Pats management to tell you what color the sky is on a clear day. Now they are going to force Logan into a press conference where he will grovel publically? I'm not buying it. If it was up to the Patriots there would be no communications with the press at all. This picture don't fit.

Louisville Slugger said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

I'm pretty sure Mankins has made enough money to be financially secure. He doesn't seem like they type to go waste it on "bling" :(
seriously?
Compared to getting a $50 million deal with $30 million guaranteed, no.

Louisville Slugger said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

Perhaps Mankins should have kept his mouth shut in this case but there's often a lot to gain by negotiating in public. Public perception matters and if it didn't, the Pats wouldn't have demanded a public apology after they had a private one.
Public perception is important, but negotiating in public is usually a bad idea. Because public perception is so important, using that "nuclear" option causes a lot of lingering bad feelings. It's hard to let bygones be bygones when it's recorded or printed and brought up frequently.I think the only thing you gain by negotiating in public is a fresh start somewhere else because it's a good way to burn bridges. In this case it's clear that Mankins got to Kraft.

What's sad is they probably would have gotten a partial retraction anyway. When asked about his earlier comments he likely would have said "I don't feel that way" or "things were said that got out of hand" and defended Kraft's integrity. It probably wouldn't have been a full-on apology, but he would have made it clear that he doesn't really question their integrity. The difference between that and a formal apology is what kept that deal from happening. Weird.

:shrug:I don't get it. Its ok for Makins to slam Krafty Bob & Pats in public but he can't issue a public apology
Exactly :rolleyes: It's a shame, but Mankins was originally offered a good (not great) deal and he had no business saying the nasty things he did. He shouldv'e been a man about it and apoligized; sucks for the Pats, sucks for Mankins.

Trash on your boss in public, apologize about it in public. Seems reasonable to me. :thumbdown:

Pretty sure whatever leverage Mankins had is gone after this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schefter is reporting that the Pats and Mankins had reached a contract agreement but the team requested a public apology and the deal fell through.

Two weeks before they had quarterback Tom Brady under contract, the New England Patriots nearly re-signed Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins.But at the last moment, just when both sides thought there would be a deal, talks collapsed over an apology, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation.About two weeks ago, Mankins and his agent Frank Bauer arrived at the Patriots training facility in Foxboro, Mass., with both sides intending and believing they would be able to hammer out a long-term deal similar to the seven-year, $56.7 million contract that Pro Bowl guard Jahri Evans signed with New Orleans in the spring.Shortly before the deal could be consummated, the Patriots asked Mankins to apologize to Patriots owner Robert Kraft for comments he made in June, questioning the New England owner's integrity. Mankins did. He called Kraft, apologized and explained why he spoke out in the way he did. It was a nice conversation and it paved the way for Mankins' long-term deal to be consummated.Then, about 90 minutes later, just before finalizing the deal, the Patriots requested Mankins issue a public apology. Not only did Mankins refuse, but he became offended, according to sources. The optimism that had been built, the momentum that the talks had generated, completed collapsed -- and even regressed.Now Mankins no longer wants to play in New England, the Patriots may be forced to trade him, and there is no resolution is in sight -- despite the fact that one was so close so recently.Mankins, a two-time Pro Bowler, would have been an unrestricted free agent under the rules of the last collective bargaining agreement. However, when the owners opted out of the deal, triggering 2010's uncapped year, only players with six years in the NFL gained unrestricted status.Mankins has refused to sign his $3.26 million tender offer from the Patriots.A trade will not be easy. Any interested team would have to satisfy the Patriots' and Mankins' wishes for compensation. One might be easy; two would be extremely difficult.The two sides went from the brink of a deal to being at the brink of Mankins’ career in New England.
Foolish pride. What should have happened.Kraft: Night of the apology, you might feel a slight sting. That's pride ####in' with you. #### pride! Pride only hurts, it never helps. You fight through that ####. 'Cause a year from now, when you kicking it in the Caribbean, you gonna say to yourself, "Mr. Kraft was right."Logan: I got no problem with that, Mr. Kraft

I fault the Patriots here.

NFL Front Offices should understand clearly the personalities of football players. You hear them talk about how difficult it is to play under contracts they don't feel are fair. How do you think Mankins would have felt after being forced to publicly apologize?

Right or not...poor management skills to treat a valuable resource in a way you should know will not be taken well.

David Yudkin said:
UraMoMo said:
Colts need to swoop in and sign him, they're in desperate need of an O line.
They can't sign him. They would have to trade for him, and that isn't going to happen.
Hi David,Why do you think that? Do you think they're not willing to trade him at all? Or just not to the Colts?J

David Yudkin said:
UraMoMo said:
They can't sign him. They would have to trade for him, and that isn't going to happen.
Hi David,Why do you think that? Do you think they're not willing to trade him at all? Or just not to the Colts?J

Also David,

What's the local feeling about this story now that it's public? I'd suspect the reaction is different as they looked so good yesterday but still wondering what the local take on it was.

J

;)I don't get it. Its ok for Makins to slam Krafty Bob & Pats in public but he can't issue a public apology
:thumbup: Yes, pride goeth before the fall or something like that. I'm convinced that more often than not money grubbing wormtongue agents are ceaselessly whispering into these guys ears. To the point where they convince a player where NOT making any money, not being with your teammates, is the way to go. Mankind and Vincent Jackson probably fall into this category. I don't buy this story as it's layed out, it's not coming from Bob Kraft and if he did want a public apology so be it. Humble yourself, show some respect, make your millions, and BE THERE ON SUNDAYS. period.

David Yudkin said:
UraMoMo said:
The Pats wouldn't trade him to the Jets, COlts, Dolphins, etc. They would be willing to trade him, but not to a direct competitor.

gump said:
I fault the Patriots here.NFL Front Offices should understand clearly the personalities of football players. You hear them talk about how difficult it is to play under contracts they don't feel are fair. How do you think Mankins would have felt after being forced to publicly apologize?Right or not...poor management skills to treat a valuable resource in a way you should know will not be taken well.
I think the Patriots are just being consistent. Treat the organization with respect, report to camp and keep your mouth shut about contract negotiations (Brady, Wilfork, Gostkowski, Banta-Cain, Neal, Bodden) and you'll be treated fairly. Act like a petulant child like Mankins and you'll be treated like one.

Users who are viewing this thread