What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PDSL 2 Discussion Thread (3 Viewers)

TE has a difficult learning curve in the NFL...
True. But, from a fantasy standpoint, I think it's actually more difficult to make an impact (relative to the veteran field at large) as a rookie WR than a TE.

I was all set to take Mike Evans in the 9th round as my WR3, until PFR informed me that if I wanted Evans to put up high-end WR3 numbers for me ... he'd have to deliver the 10th-best fantasy season ever by a rookie WR.

Gonna get stuck with one kicker but I couldn't pass on Amaro. Prater should be OK to go solo at kicker. Feeling good about my squad.
I had been looking to take Amaro for a few rounds, but kept going back to the "rookie TEs don't usually do much" thoughts.

IIRC, didn't Reed have one of the best rookie seasons for a TE with 45/499/3? Or was he just on pace to have one of the best rookie seasons?

Gonna get stuck with one kicker but I couldn't pass on Amaro. Prater should be OK to go solo at kicker. Feeling good about my squad.
I had been looking to take Amaro for a few rounds, but kept going back to the "rookie TEs don't usually do much" thoughts.

IIRC, didn't Reed have one of the best rookie seasons for a TE with 45/499/3? Or was he just on pace to have one of the best rookie seasons?
We've long since gotten passed the point where a drafted TE will have an impact and are now in the "serviceable" area. Ertz and Eifert finished in the 23rd to 26th range last year and they were drafted into some horrible situations. Amaro was the 30th TE off the board.

We've long since gotten passed the point where a drafted TE will have an impact and are now in the "serviceable" area. Ertz and Eifert finished in the 23rd to 26th range last year and they were drafted into some horrible situations. Amaro was the 30th TE off the board.
Good point. I wouldn't put Amaro on par with Eifert, but on the right team he could have value.

Yeah, I should have waited to pick until the schedule came out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worked out nice for me as my QB1, QB2, TE1, and only kicker shared a bye. Rolled the dice on Cassel and beefed up TE with Lewis. Probably still toast.

i would agree that maybe we should take a look at the release of the schedule in the future....stopping the draft at the end of a round or something at least to keep the playing field as even as possible even this late in the draft.....

with bye weeks such huge part of these survivor leagues the schedule release can be a game changer even late in the game......as evidenced....

Pictus Cat said:
5.16 Pictus Cat Kaepernick, Colin SFO QB (8)

7.16 Pictus Cat Bradford, Sam STL QB (4)

10.01 Pictus Cat Manziel, Johnny ROOK QB

Two with a job. Kaps crime details seem a little goofy. I'm taking the under on missing any time because of it...I also drafted Hernandez in last years SSL. Added Johnny Football My 3rd QB has upside and could crack in a few weeks.

3.16 Pictus Cat Mathews, Ryan SDC RB (9)

6.01 Pictus Cat Bell, Joique DET RB (10)

8.01 Pictus Cat Thomas, Pierre NOS RB (6)

18.01 Pictus Cat Seastrunk, Lache FA RB ®

Mathews has a hold of the job. The other RBs in SDs stables are a concern for some fantasy owners, but the flip side is motivation for Mathews. Color me half full. Bell will produce some stats with the upside of who gets hurt first in DET. Pierre may find some more targets vacated by Sproles.

1.16 Pictus Cat Jones, Julio ATL WR (9)

2.01 Pictus Cat Marshall, Brandon CHI WR (9)

9.16 Pictus Cat Steve Johnson WR BUF (9)

13.16 Pictus Cat Nate Washington WR TEN (9)

14.01 Pictus Cat Vincent Brown WR SD (10)

17.16 Pictus Cat Moore, Lance PIT WR (12)

Julio becomes a bigger part of the offense as the aged fade. Cutler telegraphs his passes, so he requires WRs that can bail him out. Enter the beast. Waiting for Johnson to break out as the #1 in Buffalo. At least they are trying to add more weapons to get some defensive focus off him.

4.01 Pictus Cat Pitta, Dennis BAL TE (11)

11.16 Pictus Cat Wright, Timothy TB TE (7)

Productive TE with more weapons on offense to get him more on an island.

15.16 Nick Novak PK SDC (9)

12.01 Pictus Cat Denver Broncos DST (4)

16.01 Pictus Cat Philadelphia Eagles DST (7)

RB cerebrus, QB and TE should churn mid #s. Tonight's schedule may sway which way I go from here.
No prizes for making it to week 9.

i would agree that maybe we should take a look at the release of the schedule in the future....stopping the draft at the end of a round or something at least to keep the playing field as even as possible even this late in the draft.....

with bye weeks such huge part of these survivor leagues the schedule release can be a game changer even late in the game......as evidenced....
My vote would be that we start future PDSLs the morning after the schedule comes out, assuming the NFL maintains the 2-week gap in between that and the draft.

Put a 4-hour clock on everyone from the get-go and there's no reason you can't get through 20 rounds in 14 days. Plus there's already enough randomness inherent in a fantasy draft conducted 5 months before the season opener ... is it really necessary to add in one more random element in the bye weeks?

Food for thought ...

No prizes for making it to week 9.
If it makes you feel any better, I was in the same situation in last year's PDSLs, except I think it was all 5 of my RBs that shared a week 9 bye. I remember Ref commenting, "strange things happen, you only have to beat one other guy, plus you never know, you could win immunity Week 8 ..." which I found comical since I had about 4 WRs on bye that week.

Brees wound up going ape#### for me week 8, and I won immunity from week 9 by like 0.7 points, and survived to finish 4th. So, yeah, you never know ...

My vote would be that we start future PDSLs the morning after the schedule comes out, assuming the NFL maintains the 2-week gap in between that and the draft.

Put a 4-hour clock on everyone from the get-go and there's no reason you can't get through 20 rounds in 14 days. Plus there's already enough randomness inherent in a fantasy draft conducted 5 months before the season opener ... is it really necessary to add in one more random element in the bye weeks?

Food for thought ...
Was thinking the exact same thing

Food for thought ...
Not convinced 4 hour clock will have that big an effect. Most people pick well within that timeframe as it is so only will have occasional time savings unless you think it inherently will make those that tend to take longer (in the 2-4 hour range) to pick quicker. Certainly can't hurt to try but I'd rather have the last few rounds with the new schedule info out than the last few rounds with the NFL draft having already started.

Food for thought ...
The reality is that it isn't that big of a deal if you drafted well everywhere else. the ytd point totals generally align with the survival rate.

Total Points Survivor for WSL & PDSL? Just through bye weeks?

PS: Winning is fun, but that is not the only reason we do this. The discussion and practice are more valuable.

QB - Rivers (10), Schaub (5)

RB - Gio/BJGE (4), Hyde (?), Anderson (4)

WR - Gordon (4), Harvin (4), Sanders (4), Maclin (7), Kearse (4), Woods (9)

TE - Rudolph (10), Graham (10)

PK - Vinny (10), Brown (8)

DEF - Rams (4), Raiders (5)

I'm ####ed week 4. Not only do I have no players, it's an early week.

The only good thing is a lot of teams are off that week.

Watch Arizona draft Hyde. Which, come to think of it, actually is a really good fit. :bag:

we probably should have finished the round at least...
I would go the other way. Start draft a little earlier to ensure it is complete prior to the schedule coming out. Regardless, the schedule being known by round 17 and later isn't going to help anybody......usually scraps left by then anyway.

Red

How do feel about M Brown's prospects with a healthy Pitta, SSmith, TSmith and others? Is Flacco's pie big enough?
Well, this is a fair question. Brown's numbers last year came when Jones was out, and the running game was substandard for the Ravens last year. Smith will take the two spot, but Brown has WR3 and his game is a bit different. If his game has gained from last year's experience, he should still get 3 - 4 receptions per game with a fairly high average considering Smith, Smith, Pitta and Daniels will take a lot of coverage, and Rice has to be accounted for.

I was aware of Steve Smith's move to the Ravens, but like Homer Simpson, I was thinking "The internet, is that still around?" Brown will be the first to benefit from any injury I would think. You guys are right, he is not going to be as much an impact as I was initially thinking.

"Mathews has a hold of the job. The other RBs in SDs stables are a concern for some fantasy owners, but the flip side is motivation for Mathews. Color me half full. Bell will produce some stats with the upside of who gets hurt first in DET. Pierre may find some more targets vacated by Sproles."

This quote by Pictus Cat made me smile with fond memories of the board mantra based upon Shanny using everything to motivate Tatum Bell.

Anyone else think of Tatum with this line?

5.06 Matt Ryan - 9

6.11 Jay Cutler - 9

3.06 Andre Ellington - 4

4.11 Ben Tate - 4

11.06 Chris Ivory - 11

19.06 Jordan Todman - 11

1.06 Calvin Johnson - 9

2.11 Alshon Jeffry - 9

8.11 Rueben Randle - 8

10.11 Justin Hunter - 9

13.06 Jeremy Kerley - 11

18.11 Andre Roberts - 10

7.06 Delanie Walker - 9

9.06 Dwayne Allen - 10

12.11 Jermaine Gresham - 4

15.06 Dan Bailey - 11

16.11 Caleb Sturgis - 5

14.11 Packers Def - 9

17.06 Atlanta Def - 9
I felt really good up until the schedule drop, it would be hard to hand pick a worse schedule setup. Too many gaps to fill in with only 2 rounds to go so I just stuck with the plan and will go with RB/RB to close the draft. On the plus side, if I make it to week 8 I'll have a 1 in 9 shot at winning the immunity.

Roberts will be on my late target list every draft this year. Situation hasn't changed a whole lot from Arizona, but Griffin inspires me a lot more than Palmer. The straw grasping at RB starts with Todman and will finish with someone who doesn't have a week 4 or 11 bye week.

Food for thought ...
The reality is that it isn't that big of a deal if you drafted well everywhere else. the ytd point totals generally align with the survival rate.
I knew someone would say this.... "draft well early" etc....but let's be honest....even you admit it had a pretty big impact on your turn....

we probably should have finished the round at least...
I would go the other way. Start draft a little earlier to ensure it is complete prior to the schedule coming out. Regardless, the schedule being known by round 17 and later isn't going to help anybody......usually scraps left by then anyway.
I agree about going the other way and being done earlier.....that is my thought....

but disagree with the last part.....granted you aren't going to neccessarily find a stud late, but from a strategy point of view it can be a game changer.....ask Bass after Cassell saves his bacon in week 4...doubt he was on his radar

also the timing is an issue as some owners will have more picks then others to allow for bye week adjustments....

5.06 Matt Ryan - 9

6.11 Jay Cutler - 9

3.06 Andre Ellington - 4

4.11 Ben Tate - 4

11.06 Chris Ivory - 11

19.06 Jordan Todman - 11

1.06 Calvin Johnson - 9

2.11 Alshon Jeffry - 9

8.11 Rueben Randle - 8

10.11 Justin Hunter - 9

13.06 Jeremy Kerley - 11

18.11 Andre Roberts - 10

7.06 Delanie Walker - 9

9.06 Dwayne Allen - 10

12.11 Jermaine Gresham - 4

15.06 Dan Bailey - 11

16.11 Caleb Sturgis - 5

14.11 Packers Def - 9

17.06 Atlanta Def - 9
I felt really good up until the schedule drop, it would be hard to hand pick a worse schedule setup. Too many gaps to fill in with only 2 rounds to go so I just stuck with the plan and will go with RB/RB to close the draft. On the plus side, if I make it to week 8 I'll have a 1 in 9 shot at winning the immunity.

Roberts will be on my late target list every draft this year. Situation hasn't changed a whole lot from Arizona, but Griffin inspires me a lot more than Palmer. The straw grasping at RB starts with Todman and will finish with someone who doesn't have a week 4 or 11 bye week.
brutal

1.07 Eddie Lacy, RB Packers - Wish Calvin had fallen, of course. Missed by one pick. Love this kid. APOROY, and Coach has been outspoken on Team expecting him to be every down RB in 2014. Did great job carrying load in 2013, w/ no real durability issues. Managed 35 receptions, 1400+ total yards and 11 TD while establishing himself last year. Although there are plenty of mouths to feed in GB, it's still an extremely prolific offense, and with an established role, I'm thinking he's going to up those #'s to 48/1600/12, and I didn't see another RB available that I thought could as likely generate those #'s between the combination of their own talent and the offense they were working within.

2.10 Julius Thomas, TE Broncos - I consider OJT to be a Tier-1 player at his position, none of my Tier-1 guys were left at QB and WR...what's it going to be like in Denver, sans Decker, is the big question. Probably worthy to wonder what the passing game is going to look like sans Moreno as well? Still very prolific, I think that's a sure bet. In transition, I'd like to think Manning will lean on what he knows and trusts, and that's the Thomas' and Welker. I don't think Ball is anywhere near the threat out of the backfield Moreno was, and I don't think enough of Emmanuel Sanders to assume he's going to get a Decker-size piece of the pie, even if he doesn't get hurt. Building on 2013 even modestly, that's a nice piece to build a foundation on in TE2PPR.
3.07 Keenan Allen, WR Chargers - Tough run to watch coming into my 3rd Rounder. Thought one of Nelson, Cobb, Fitzgerald, would fall to me, didn't...while I was pondering the 'usual suspects' group, when I came across K.A, due to the fact that his name kept coming up when I was researching my 1st round pick of Eddie Lacy, with all the 2013 Rookie hype. Have to admit I didn't know as much about him, as I didn't have him on any Teams last year, so I took the opportunity to take a closer look. From the highlights, I didn't realized he had the size he does. Resurgent season by Rivers, probably will see some regression overall in the passing stats this year, but I like the direction I think this kid is headed in, and his place in the offense.

4.10 T.Y. Hilton, WR Colts - Another young'un for me here. Usually I'm more of a vet guy. Adding Nicks to the mix makes for a lot of guys looking for targets, but I like Hilton's potential in a PPR scheme. Doesn't have the size I usually prefer, but some of the other guys available at this point didn't either. Think he has more upside than the veteran names, think he has the potential to post remarkably consistent #'s week in/week out. I like the QB, the offense, and his place in it. Think he has it in him to post a high-teens, low-20's type of season ranking, with a lean to the higher end of that in PPR, I'll take that out of WR2 at 4.10 in a 16 Teamer/PPR.
5.07 Robert Griffin III, QB Redskins -

6.10 Toby Gerhardt, RB Jaguars -

More to follow...
Wanted to let some events unfold before commenting about Griffin/Gerhardt, and the picks that potentially followed...

Griffin III - I felt pretty good as 5.07 arrived, as I wasn't enamored with any of the players selected after I took Hilton at 4.10...as the draft unfolded, I thought I'd be able to wait until Rd 6 to take my 1st QB, but when Brady and Ryan went at 5.04 and 5.06, I figured I'd better move on one, or be left holding my sack. QB at 5.10 was going to cost me an RB2 or WR3. Felt WR was much deeper, so I wasn't as worried about losing ground there. I opted for Griffin because (and I know this may sound silly), I wanted a QB that could supplement the position that taking a QB earlier than I had planned, would effect. I sometimes shy away so hard from Redskins, being a fan, I sometimes hurt myself, but 2014 Griffin feels different. Feeling optimistic about the regime change, and moves that have been made so far, especially the Roberts/Jackson signing and development of Morris and Reed. I think I'm getting the QB that may approach expectations. That means a passing QB that can accumulate RB stats. Good thing I did what I did, because my original plan had me taking Rivers as the lead in a tandem of lesser QB's, and he wound up going 3 picks later.

Gerhardt - Edelman, Gore, Colston and Floyd, I'd have taken any of them if they'd fallen to 6.10. I really hope I don't regret passing on Sproles here, but I really thought I could nab him at 7.07. I don't think there's anything super special about Gerhardt, but I do think he can do everything well enough to be a solid RB2 in a 16-teamer. I'd lost out on all candidates I felt were WR2's that I could have drafted as my WR3, so I went RB figuring I needed to fill in a remaining starter, and Gerhardt's upside at RB2 was better than bona fide WR3's, of which there were plenty remaining.

7.07: Joe Flacco, QB Ravens - Stinkin Ref stunk me with Sproles, and stank me with Terrance Williams, who I would have taken here had he fallen. Pretty nonplussed with the remaining candidates at RB. WR still a pretty deep pool. One QB remaining in my Top 16, figured I'd rather have him supplementing Griffin, and standing in, in case of injury, than allowing one of the Teams with no QB a shot at a QB1, even a low-ranking one. High on the prospects of the Ravens O this year, think Flacco may have his share of weeks logging starter minutes for me - if he's not, then Griff is doing what I expected him to do, and playing out of his mind.

8.10: Jarrett Boykin, WR Packers - Boldin, Bowe, Pierre Thomas gone, and Golden Tate drop, drop, dropping...missed him by one pick. Though he would have made a legit WR3 on his own, without requiring upside...but I will gladly take Boykin as the lead in a committee, and still feel strong at WR3. Think he's more complete than his predecessor, and if an injury strikes, he's a WR1. Packer offense is plenty prolific, and if bye weeks cooperate, I'm only down one of my WR3's when I'm down my RB1.

9.07: Markus Wheaton, WR Steelers - I had a short list of guys I'd have liked to pair with Boykin, and Randle and Stills were the 1st 2 on the list, but Wheaton was a close 3rd. Looking forward to his contributions this season, sans broken finger(s)...he's got the skills, and bringing in a big WR via the draft doesn't affect his expected role in the offense. Additions brought in to play slot, and challenge for a roster spot, but I don't think they're there to challenge for the starting spot opposite Antonio Brown. Like the looks of the running game, and I think that may make for even more opps for the WR.
10.10: DeAngelo Williams, RB Panthers - Really like the Sankey kid, and thought he'd fall to me here. I'm a complete slut for DA Williams, He's one of those guys I've developed a complex about similar to Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football. He just has so much potential, but it may go completely unrealized. Even if he starts generating stats, he's not a special PPR type. RB2 is definitely a soft spot for me, but you have to be soft somewhere, I guess. Have some plans to address that, we'll see how it works out.

11.07: Dex McCluster, RB/WR Titans - Shouldn't this guy be listed as a RB? I waited until Chris Johnson was officially gone before pulling the trigger, and I fully expect Titans to address RB in the Draft, but this guy has real potential. Biggest issue is that if he gets the touches, how long can he stay healthy? I think the Titans will get him in the mix enough, but, ultimately, just how special is the Titans aggregate offense going to be? There's the rub. Really though James Jones or Steve Smith would fall to me, and once they were off the board, I flirted with the idea of pairing up DAW and Johnny Stewart, but it wasn't to be. Given Gerhardt and DAW, if McC winds up listed as RB, he might crack the starting lineup. and that's not necessarily a good thing, just fallout from PPR. If he remains a WR, I probably drafted him too early. Really hope passing on Blount was a good idea, I really like that guy, and his situation in Pittsburgh.

12.10: Roy Helu, RB Redskins - not saying Helu is Gio Bernard, or Alfred Morris is BJGE, but what if Jay Gruden starts toying around with his shiny new pieces and sees some things he likes? Some insurance if McC remains listed as WR. Finally a piece of my RB2BC I'm excited about. PPR hound. Stay healthy, Helu! Lots of potential here if you do!

13.07: D/ST Patriots - The Patriots seem to run in cycles. I'm gambling that based on recent seasons, this is an 'up' year for the Pats D - I think there are plenty of guys motivated to make a name for themselves in this crew. I want an aggressive D. I also want a D paired up with an offense that can force the opponents' offense to take risks. I think this is a year B&B apply some heat, and most opponents are going to be playing from behind. Broadway sniped me on Kerley. Had he made it one more pick, I would have waited a round on D/ST to add him to my RB3BC. Really started loving that kid last year. Seems like the kind of playmaker that could riff with Vick.
14.10: Mychal Rivera, TE Raiders - Hadn't touched TE since Round 2 (Orange Julius). I don't think I fared too badly, though. I'm tremendously high on OJT, and I DID land him, despite the high price tag. However, the flip side of taking a TE that early is having to make up ground filling in starters, and it's ballsy to imagine taking TE2 any time in the first half of the draft while doing so, especially when #2 QB's seem to always have that first half run, which you have to account for. Which, of course is where everyone else is taking their TE1, or those who don't emphasize the position are taking a tandem, which eats up a lot of higher-tier TE2's...but I'm pleased to have waited until R14 and wound up with Rivera. What a time to be an Oakland fan: Hello Schaub, MJD and James Jones! On the one hand, there's legitimate proven risk getting involved with such a malleable situation, but Rivera not only has the skills, but now has the on-field, live bullets experience in the offense, and if the other pieces are contributing, he's going to see some real space in the seams. Schaub could wind up really feeding him, and I think there's plenty of upside there. He could very realistically wind up on the low end of Top 16. Given the TE's that were selected in the four or so rounds beforehand, when I could have realistically started to address TE2 were I so inclined, I don't think I missed out on much for having waited.

15.07: Mason Crosby, PK Packers - Packers PK, enough said. Got a guy I wanted in the early stages of the initial PK run, at the right spot without sacrificing anything.

16.10: Harry Douglas, WR Falcons - I think Harry Douglass really stepped up and proved his worth last year, and he'll follow it up with a quality season in 2014. He's always been a tough little guy, stays healthy and finds ways to get open, and got a HUGE benefit last year with Julio Jones out, logging a ton of starter minutes and developing a nice rapport with Matt Ryan. Julio is back, but now Tony G rides off into the sunset. I came into this draft with Douglass as a late round target and was surprised he lasted this long. In a perfect world, I actually wanted to land both Douglass and Jaquizz Rodgers, but missed Quizz by 4 picks in the 12th. Think they're both going to see a lot of looks in the 2014 Falcons O...he's my WR5 or 6, depending on what happens with McCluster's designation. I think he has a ton of value in that role.

17.07: Mike Nugent, PK Bengals - The Douglass pick at 16.10 had it's fallout - lots of D/ST2 and PK2 off the board between that pick and this one. With the pickings getting slim, figured I'd grab PK2 while I at least had SOME choice remaining in whom I selected. I've had Nugent as a PK2 on Dynasty Teams for a while now, and know what I'm getting. Bengals have been on the rise for a several seasons now, from a PK scoring perspective, scored a whopping 52 TD last year, which will probably regress. I'm spending way too much space on PK2.

18.10: D/ST Redskins - Landed the Pats at D/ST10, in R13 - thought that was good value. Passed on D/ST2 to land 2 upside players and 2 PK in the next 4 rounds, and can't say I came out any worse for wear than if I'd selected any of the previous dozen or so D/ST selected. The DSJax aquisition has changed my thinking about all aspects of the 2014 Redskins, and I purposefully try to stay pessimistic about them as a fan, but I think they all have draft position upside at this point. When I took the 'skins D here, there were only 2 choices left: Redskins or Jaguars. That's shocking to me. Lucky me, I think. At that point, the only other team without a D/ST2 was Mr Irrelevant, and he had 2 picks before I picked again. Such a disparity in my mind between the 2 remaining picks, I had to do it, but it wound up costing me some guys I wanted in the last rounds.

19.07: LaMichael James, RB ??? - So, surprisingly there's still several players out there I'd consider putting on my Roster and getting some real mileage out of. Right after I took D/ST Redskins, the 1st of them went to Broadway G - Andre Roberts. Then Andrew Quarless, and Marcedes Lewis. Feeling just a little unsettled about how McCluster is going to be designated - RB or WR...didn't want to have only 4 RB on the roster. Nothing exciting available, so decided to take a longshot flyer here with a guy I'm personally high on. Think James is a player with tremendous potential, on the wrong team, miscast in the wrong offense. I don't think there's any way he stays with the 9'ers, and almost anywhere else is an improvement. If he winds up with the right coach, in the right offense, I think there's plenty of upside there. A spike here and there from a late round pick is a nice thing to have in this format.

20.10: ?????? - Well, PK and D/ST is covered, but I still have targets at all 4 other positions, and feel they all could use addressing. Surprisingly, I think this is going to be a tough choice.

PS: Winning is fun, but that is not the only reason we do this. The discussion and practice are more valuable.
I think turning one or both of these leagues into a total points survivor is a great idea. At least until you have 4 teams left which would take us out the other side of the bye weeks ... at which point you could reset the finalists to zero and use the same mechanism the survivors use already.

I think turning one or both of these leagues into a total points survivor is a great idea. At least until you have 4 teams left which would take us out the other side of the bye weeks ... at which point you could reset the finalists to zero and use the same mechanism the survivors use already.
Or just have two champions.

QB - Cam Newton - 12

Eli Manning - 8

RB - Demarco Murray - 11

Steven Ridley - 10

Bishop Sankey - ?

Tre Mason - ?

WR - Vincent Jackson - 7

Victor Cruz - 8

Reggie Wayne - 10

Da'Rick Rogers - 10

Chris Givens - 4

Andre Caldwell - 4

Mohamed Sanu - 4

TE - Rob Gronkowski - 10

Travis Kelce - 6

Brent Celek - 7

DEF - Tampa Bay - 7

Houston - 10

K - Shane Graham - 6

Robbie Gould - 9

Pictus Cat said:
Stinkin Ref said:
Pictus Cat said:

wait....wat....?.... ;)
My goal is to represent myself with a reasonable effort. I put FF on par with Texas Hold'em as far as skill vs luck.
We gave your Capri sun and orange slice to your mom she'll meet you in the parking lot soccer boy.......

Pictus Cat said:
Stinkin Ref said:
Pictus Cat said:

wait....wat....?.... ;)
My goal is to represent myself with a reasonable effort. I put FF on par with Texas Hold'em as far as skill vs luck.
We gave your Capri sun and orange slice to your mom she'll meet you in the parking lot soccer boy.......
lol, great way to start my day.

QB - Cam Newton - 12

Eli Manning - 8

RB - Demarco Murray - 11

Steven Ridley - 10

Bishop Sankey - ?

Tre Mason - ?

WR - Vincent Jackson - 7

Victor Cruz - 8

Reggie Wayne - 10

Da'Rick Rogers - 10

Chris Givens - 4

Andre Caldwell - 4

Mohamed Sanu - 4

TE - Rob Gronkowski - 10

Travis Kelce - 6

Brent Celek - 7

DEF - Tampa Bay - 7

Houston - 10

K - Shane Graham - 6

Robbie Gould - 9
Really curious why you decided to triple up at TE with a stud like Gronk up top. If you're that worried about his availability early on, then was it really worth spending a 1st-rounder on him in the first place? And if not, and Gronk's in there beasting it from Week 1, how many weeks do you even expect your TE2 to count for you, much less a TE3?

Especially with 2 rooks among your 4 RBs, seems to me adding a 5th RB would have been a no-brainer there.

QB - Cam Newton - 12

Eli Manning - 8

RB - Demarco Murray - 11

Steven Ridley - 10

Bishop Sankey - ?

Tre Mason - ?

WR - Vincent Jackson - 7

Victor Cruz - 8

Reggie Wayne - 10

Da'Rick Rogers - 10

Chris Givens - 4

Andre Caldwell - 4

Mohamed Sanu - 4

TE - Rob Gronkowski - 10

Travis Kelce - 6

Brent Celek - 7

DEF - Tampa Bay - 7

Houston - 10

K - Shane Graham - 6

Robbie Gould - 9
Really curious why you decided to triple up at TE with a stud like Gronk up top. If you're that worried about his availability early on, then was it really worth spending a 1st-rounder on him in the first place? And if not, and Gronk's in there beasting it from Week 1, how many weeks do you even expect your TE2 to count for you, much less a TE3?

Especially with 2 rooks among your 4 RBs, seems to me adding a 5th RB would have been a no-brainer there.
if he wanted Gronk, probably had to pull the trigger where he did.....and with the possibility of him maybe missing a few games, giving yourself a couple other options to score might not be a bad idea to try and help you "survive" until Gronk gets healthy and you start reaping the rewards....Gronk can be that type of difference maker in these that it is almost like protecting your investment...

whether Gronk is worth it or not may be a different discussion....IMO he is not in this survivor format.....

QB - Cam Newton - 12

Eli Manning - 8

RB - Demarco Murray - 11

Steven Ridley - 10

Bishop Sankey - ?

Tre Mason - ?

WR - Vincent Jackson - 7

Victor Cruz - 8

Reggie Wayne - 10

Da'Rick Rogers - 10

Chris Givens - 4

Andre Caldwell - 4

Mohamed Sanu - 4

TE - Rob Gronkowski - 10

Travis Kelce - 6

Brent Celek - 7

DEF - Tampa Bay - 7

Houston - 10

K - Shane Graham - 6

Robbie Gould - 9

if he wanted Gronk, probably had to pull the trigger where he did.....and with the possibility of him maybe missing a few games, giving yourself a couple other options to score might not be a bad idea to try and help you "survive" until Gronk gets healthy and you start reaping the rewards....Gronk can be that type of difference maker in these that it is almost like protecting your investment...

whether Gronk is worth it or not may be a different discussion....IMO he is not in this survivor format.....
I took Gronk as well and seriously considered rolling three deep but ultimately made the decision that having 5th running back (bolden backing up Vereen) outweighed having a TEBC until Gronk was healthy. May have been a really bad decision..we'll see.

I actually was surprised to see Keller on the list of available players in the 20th. He is being looked at by NE, and others and Miami is saying they may re-sign him after his agent said he is good to go.

Hopefully, Dr. James Andrews is his agent. Even so, if he returns after a few weeks of regular play - worst case scenario if he is active this year, and I am still in the running, could be a point earner some weeks.

Stinkin Ref said:
Pictus Cat said:

wait....wat....?.... ;)
Practice for SSL where it counts. LOL

QB - Cam Newton - 12

Eli Manning - 8

RB - Demarco Murray - 11

Steven Ridley - 10

Bishop Sankey - ?

Tre Mason - ?

WR - Vincent Jackson - 7

Victor Cruz - 8

Reggie Wayne - 10

Da'Rick Rogers - 10

Chris Givens - 4

Andre Caldwell - 4

Mohamed Sanu - 4

TE - Rob Gronkowski - 10

Travis Kelce - 6

Brent Celek - 7

DEF - Tampa Bay - 7

Houston - 10

K - Shane Graham - 6

Robbie Gould - 9

I actually drafted Gronk in the Pre-Carl period, when he took Demaryius Thomas. Looking back and forward, it worked out better for me that he, well, was Carl. I am uncertain about Gronk, but the NE passing game will rely upon him quite a bit. His health and maturity are the real issues.

QB - Cam Newton - 12

Eli Manning - 8

RB - Demarco Murray - 11

Steven Ridley - 10

Bishop Sankey - ?

Tre Mason - ?

WR - Vincent Jackson - 7

Victor Cruz - 8

Reggie Wayne - 10

Da'Rick Rogers - 10

Chris Givens - 4

Andre Caldwell - 4

Mohamed Sanu - 4

TE - Rob Gronkowski - 10

Travis Kelce - 6

Brent Celek - 7

DEF - Tampa Bay - 7

Houston - 10

K - Shane Graham - 6

Robbie Gould - 9

I've been distracted this week (on "vacation" , cleaning out my dad's house getting it ready to sell). I took Aaron Hernandez in SSL last year and didn't back him up until late which led to an early elimination. Several people were saying Gronk is going to be put on the PUP list, plus he has a propensity to get injured, so I thought some insurance at TE would be better than a shot in the dark at RB in round 20. Plus some of the targets that I had been looking at earlier were taken just before I was going to take them.

Maybe in hind sight I should have taken another RB, but with 2 of the top rookies hopefully at least one of them will be very productive.

...and in the 20th, I drafted: Joseph Morgan, WR Saints. Going into 2013, until his untimely training camp ACL injury, there was much talk of Morgan logging plenty of snaps/game for the Saints. With the departure of Lance Moore, there's a hole to fill - I'm not saying Morgan fills that hole, because he's no Lance Moore, but I am saying that without Moore, and Sproles, the complexion of the Saints offense is going to change a little, and Morgan is unique to the Saints WR group. Unless he has a setback, I think Morgan winds up being the #3 WR on an offense with no shortage of targets. Colston is aging, but his role is defined. Stills is definitely coming on, and should assume a bigger role, but again, he and Morgan are very different. Meachem doesn't concern me, and Toon, if anything is more suited to be Colston's direct backup than to have his own role. Saints badly need speed at WR, and if Morgan is completely healed, he's the fastest guy on the field now. In a format like this, a Devery Henderson type is a great late-round add. That's what I think we see out of Mr. Morgan in 2014.

I was looking at QB, WR and TE after my 19th Rounder. Toon, Sanu and Keller were all on my list, as were others who will remain nameless since they haven't been picked yet.

1st time in a while I've participated in an SL before the Draft, (last few years I've done SSL only), think I fared OK. As I type this, this will be the 1st time I look at the byes, and how they impact my team.

Griffin/10, Flacco/11 - dodged the bye. Two very different QB's which will hopefully be complimentary. Rededication of Ray Rice, healthy Pitta and addition of S.Smith has me optimistic about Flacco.

Lacy/9, Gerhardt/11, DA Williams/12, Helu/10, LM James/8 - I expect big things from Helu on the PPR end, to supplement lack of PPR from Gerhardt and DA Willy. LMJ is a complete wild card, but you have to have a few of those on a 20-man roster.

RB/WR: McCluster/9 - If he's a RB, that group goes from decent to good, and makes LMJ a true flyer, and that's what I'd prefer. If he's a WR, Joe Morgan becomes a flyer, and that's a nice flyer to have...

K Allen/10 , Hilton/10 , Boykin/9 , Wheaton/12 , Douglas/9 , Joe Morgan/6 - can't afford to have 2 committee positions, and with an RB2BC already, it's prudent for me to be concerned that I'm sporting a WR3BC as well, but I don't think I am, as in my opinion, Boykin/Wheaton is my WR3AB, while Douglas, Morgan, and possibly McCluster are depth.

OJT/4 , Rivera/5 - Glad I avoided the bye week mess here. Like this tandem, OJT is a beast, and Rivera is underrated. If I'm right, I think I'm one of the leading TE scorers every week. If I'm not, well, it's always a risky move taking a TE early.

Crosby/9, Nugent/4 - Kickers are kickers, but Crosby kicks for a lights-out offense and Cincinnati generates a lot of opportunities for kickers, surprisingly enough.

Patriots/10 , Redskins/10 - screwed on the byes, but I think these D's complement each other the way my QB's do

OK, so...no D/ST in Week 10. That's not good. I can see being down a position early on, but with only 7 Teams remaining, that's going to be tough to dodge. Not down too many guys in Week 9, so immunity is a possibility, and it looks like I'll need it because now I see that I'm also down Griffin, Helu, Allen and Hilton. That's tough.

I think I can make it to week 9 with little trouble, Week 10 with a some luck, and Week 10 is going to be a beeyotch. If I somehow survive, I think I'm a tough out, but it's a mighty big if. I'll be playing a short hand in Week 9 trying for a Week 10 immunity. Long shot, at best.

Great draft. Good Luck to all!

QB
4.15 - Nick Foles, PHI (QB6) [7]
8.15 - Michael Vick, NYJ (QB26) [11]

RB
1.02 - Jamaal Charles, KC (RB2) [6]
2.15 - Reggie Bush, DET (RB15) [9]
9.02 - Maurice Jones-Drew, OAK (RB36) [5]
12.15 - Jeremy Hill, ROOK (RB55) [?]
17.02 - Andre Brown, HOU (RB65) [10]

WR
3.02 - Jordy Nelson, GB (WR11) [9]
5.02 - Kendall Wright, TEN (WR25) [9]
10.15 - Rod Streater, OAK (WR58) [8]
11.02 - Jerrel Jernigan, NYG (WR60) [5]
14.15 - Brandin Cooks, ROOK (WR79) [?]
19.02 - Brandon Gibson, MIA (WR94) [5]

TE
6.15 - Martellus Bennett, CHI (TE14) [9]
7.02 - Charles Clay, MIA (TE15) [5]
18.15 - Andrew Quarless, GB (TE33) [9]

ST
15.02 - Steven Hauschka, SEA (K3) [4]
16.15 - Dan Carpenter, BUF (K22) [9]
13.02 - Cardinals, ARZ (D9) [4]
20.15 - Jaguars, JAX (D32) [11]

QB: My green-tinted glasses may be coloring this view, but I think this could compete for the highest-scoring QB tandem in PDSL2. I want me some Eagles in every fantasy draft this year, as Chip Kelly should continue to amass piles of fantasy points for his skill positions, starting with Foles. Vick is the perfect backup for a best-ball league - he'll put up a handful of pedestrian performances, then explode for 35-40 points without warning. Plus the Eagles' early bye means he might actually still be healthy to fill in when I need him most! :clap:

RB: Another strong grouping. Charles was a no-brainer at 1.02 and could easily lead the league in VBD again this year. Expecting a point drop-off from Bush as he cedes some RB touches to Bell, but his big-play ability and pass chops should still deliver value at RB15. Couldn't pass up MJD in the 9th; timeshare or no, he'll get most of the short-yardage work and should be a top-end RB3. Hill is one of the few true power backs in this year's draft - not a buyer in dynasty, but think he has GL-back potential in redraft. And Foster has a lot of miles on the odometer, so Brown should see the field quite a bit and has the talent to be the workhorse if Foster goes down.

WR: Part conscious decision and part being on the bad side of runs, but this is my obvious weak spot and one where I'll need some breakouts to compete. Happy with my top 2: Jordy might be my WR1 in every league this year if he stays at this price - he offers consistency plus top-5 upside. Wright seems undervalued this year due to 2013's low TD count, and I'll be shocked if he doesn't outperform WR25. After that, bleh. Jones may get more red-zone looks but I like Streater to emerge as Oakland's WR1 ... which is like being the tallest midget at the circus, but whatever. Jernigan and Cooks are two of another type I target in best-ball - straight burners with home-run ability who can score fantasy points in bunches. Finally, Gibson went 5 rounds later than in WSL and I'm not sure why; it's not as if Miami's going to draft Watkins or Mike Wallace is going to morph into Megatron.

TE: My TEBC decision was basically made once I passed on Cameron and Witten at the 2/3 turn, and my 1/2 here were IMO clearly the last potential TE1-caliber guys in the stable. I've never owned Bennett anywhere - to me he's basically JAG - but he is reliable and I'll take a ho-hum, 60/650/6-type season. Meanwhile Clay is young, fast, talented, and still learning his craft ... higher risk but much higher reward. Could have gone without a third TE, but it was inexplicable that a likely starter on one of the best offenses in football in Quarless was still sitting there in the 18th. All together, I expect top-half performance most weeks at the very reasonable cost of a 6th, a 7th, and a throwaway pick.

ST: Hauschka's clearly among the elite, while Buffalo just gave Carpenter an above-market extension; you don't do that with a guy you're planning to toss aside in TC. Arizona faces a murderer's row of offenses in 2014, but I'm OK rolling with them on talent alone since we're not docked for points and yards against. And I can confidently state that the Jags will outperform their draft position this season ... thanks to everyone for deciding not to roll with 3 D/STs on your roster. :thumbup:

Overall: Compared to this squad, my WSL team looks like it was drafted by a drunk monkey. Feels to me like average to above-average everywhere but WR, and I think a lot of my back-half picks fit this specific format well. But I'll have to dodge some week 5 and 9 bye issues and probably need a couple of my low-percentage WRs to really step up if I hope to be around at the end.

The Jordan Matthews pick was a mistake.

Not that it was an error, but a pick made in a rush and not what I wanted to do there. Frankly, I forgot that I took Wilson in the 19th.

Almost certainly a wasted pick. But, lets see how this pans out.

...and in the 20th, I drafted: Joseph Morgan, WR Saints. Going into 2013, until his untimely training camp ACL injury, there was much talk of Morgan logging plenty of snaps/game for the Saints. With the departure of Lance Moore, there's a hole to fill - I'm not saying Morgan fills that hole, because he's no Lance Moore, but I am saying that without Moore, and Sproles, the complexion of the Saints offense is going to change a little, and Morgan is unique to the Saints WR group. Unless he has a setback, I think Morgan winds up being the #3 WR on an offense with no shortage of targets. Colston is aging, but his role is defined. Stills is definitely coming on, and should assume a bigger role, but again, he and Morgan are very different. Meachem doesn't concern me, and Toon, if anything is more suited to be Colston's direct backup than to have his own role. Saints badly need speed at WR, and if Morgan is completely healed, he's the fastest guy on the field now. In a format like this, a Devery Henderson type is a great late-round add. That's what I think we see out of Mr. Morgan in 2014.

I was looking at QB, WR and TE after my 19th Rounder. Toon, Sanu and Keller were all on my list, as were others who will remain nameless since they haven't been picked yet.

1st time in a while I've participated in an SL before the Draft, (last few years I've done SSL only), think I fared OK. As I type this, this will be the 1st time I look at the byes, and how they impact my team.

Griffin/10, Flacco/11 - dodged the bye. Two very different QB's which will hopefully be complimentary. Rededication of Ray Rice, healthy Pitta and addition of S.Smith has me optimistic about Flacco.

Lacy/9, Gerhardt/11, DA Williams/12, Helu/10, LM James/8 - I expect big things from Helu on the PPR end, to supplement lack of PPR from Gerhardt and DA Willy. LMJ is a complete wild card, but you have to have a few of those on a 20-man roster.

RB/WR: McCluster/9 - If he's a RB, that group goes from decent to good, and makes LMJ a true flyer, and that's what I'd prefer. If he's a WR, Joe Morgan becomes a flyer, and that's a nice flyer to have...

K Allen/10 , Hilton/10 , Boykin/9 , Wheaton/12 , Douglas/9 , Joe Morgan/6 - can't afford to have 2 committee positions, and with an RB2BC already, it's prudent for me to be concerned that I'm sporting a WR3BC as well, but I don't think I am, as in my opinion, Boykin/Wheaton is my WR3AB, while Douglas, Morgan, and possibly McCluster are depth.

OJT/4 , Rivera/5 - Glad I avoided the bye week mess here. Like this tandem, OJT is a beast, and Rivera is underrated. If I'm right, I think I'm one of the leading TE scorers every week. If I'm not, well, it's always a risky move taking a TE early.

Crosby/9, Nugent/4 - Kickers are kickers, but Crosby kicks for a lights-out offense and Cincinnati generates a lot of opportunities for kickers, surprisingly enough.

Patriots/10 , Redskins/10 - screwed on the byes, but I think these D's complement each other the way my QB's do

OK, so...no D/ST in Week 10. That's not good. I can see being down a position early on, but with only 7 Teams remaining, that's going to be tough to dodge. Not down too many guys in Week 9, so immunity is a possibility, and it looks like I'll need it because now I see that I'm also down Griffin, Helu, Allen and Hilton. That's tough.

I think I can make it to week 9 with little trouble, Week 10 with a some luck, and Week 10 is going to be a beeyotch. If I somehow survive, I think I'm a tough out, but it's a mighty big if. I'll be playing a short hand in Week 9 trying for a Week 10 immunity. Long shot, at best.

I went back and looked at all the teams without a QB last year. They were no more likely to get eliminated taking a zero at QB then the field. Basically missing a defense for a week isn't that big off a deal.

ST: Hauschka's clearly among the elite, while Buffalo just gave Carpenter an above-market extension; you don't do that with a guy you're planning to toss aside in TC. Arizona faces a murderer's row of offenses in 2014, but I'm OK rolling with them on talent alone since we're not docked for points and yards against. And I can confidently state that the Jags will outperform their draft position this season ... thanks to everyone for deciding not to roll with 3 D/STs on your roster. :thumbup:
That's exactly how I feel about both the Rams and Raiders D/ST.

I find myself cheering for the Rams due to Fisher.

I went back and looked at all the teams without a QB last year. They were no more likely to get eliminated taking a zero at QB then the field. Basically missing a defense for a week isn't that big off a deal.
I've always thought one-week without is less of an issue than having a hedge on bad weeks. IOW, I'd be okay with my K or D sharing a bye, but wouldn't want to roll with one.

Users who are viewing this thread