What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peppers signs tender (1 Viewer)

VaCatFan

Footballguy
For those interested:

Peppers signs offer sheet, to play for Panthers

The Panthers announced this afternoon that defensive end Julius Peppers signed his offer sheet and will play for the team this season. A conference call has been scheduled for this afternoon.

Peppers' agent, Carl Carey, told the Observer that : "Julius is more than satisfied with the outcome and is prepared and ready to play football."

Carey said a statement from Peppers was forthcoming in which Peppers said he'd had "positive and productive" conversations with the Panthers and that he was "optimistic" about the upcoming season.

Peppers will be perhaps the highest paid player in the league with a contract that could pay him up to $19.183 million this season. He has a guaranteed $16.683 million base salary -- the amount of his offer sheet as a franchise free agent, plus an incentive of $1.5 million if he makes the Pro Bowl and $250,000 per each playoff win up to and including the Super Bowl.

The incentives carry over from Peppers' contract from last season

More on this soon.

-- Charles Chandler

By comparison, the 12 LB the Patriots have rostered (who were thought to be in trade talks with the Panthers) will see a total of $10.5 million this year.

what are the chances that he remains a Panther after this season is over?
Not good. I see him doing the exact samething Albert Haynesworth did in Tenn. In a way I'm glad he signed, b/c he MUST now play his butt off again this year for the Cats to get the big contract next year. If he does not play big this year, he will lose some serious money in 2010. Also, don't forget about who the Panthers drafted in the 2nd round this year. All signs point to Pepp leaving next year. Frankly, I'm ready for him to move on to some other team. He's made it clear he does not want to be in Carolina and there are a lot of people sick of seeing him take plays off, get blocked by a single running back, and teams like the Giants running all day on his side of the defensive line for 200+ yards. I'm a huge Panthers fan, but I have a bad feeling this year for the Cats. they really did nothing to improve their team, and they lost a lot of depth through FA. Here's to hoping I'm wrong... :popcorn:

By comparison, the 12 LB the Patriots have rostered (who were thought to be in trade talks with the Panthers) will see a total of $10.5 million this year.
Call me when they start allowing 10 guys to play the same DE position. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about time Pep signed on the dotted line. It did kind of come out of nowhere though. Still, I can't complain.

Hurney made no promises to Carey, Peppers' agent, that we would not place the tag on him in 2010 if the situation arose. If you ask me, a trade could be on the horizon as we approach training camp for a DE needy team. If a team doesn't bite, we'll be happy to hold onto him.

According to today's reports, they are now talking about a long term contract. they have about three weeks to do that, so we'll know by then.

Interesting that he signed the tender before camp. Many players in the past have waited to sign the tender until right before the season - therefore missing camp but not being subjected to fines for doing so.

Signing early may be a way of showing that Peppers wants to make sure he has a great year so he can get a big $$$ long term deal. Of course, it could be that he signed it with the idea that he may be traded -- and a team that trades for him would need him to sign the tender.

According to today's reports, they are now talking about a long term contract. they have about three weeks to do that, so we'll know by then.
He's spending quite a bit of time and money building his place at The Peninsula for someone wanting to get out of town so badly...

Users who are viewing this thread