What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Personal Finance Advice and Education! (1 Viewer)

I got the Boglehead book, 2014 version.

Not too far in, maybe 60 pages just talking about the different types of investments and stuff.

They seem to be pimping Vanguard pretty hard obviously. For anyone who has read the book, is this just going to be a 300 page version of saying "invest in Vanguard"?
Jack Bogle created Vanguard, but I didn't see the book as overly selling vanguard. Best financial book I have read, and I have read a lot.

Not too far in, maybe 60 pages just talking about the different types of investments and stuff.

They seem to be pimping Vanguard pretty hard obviously. For anyone who has read the book, is this just going to be a 300 page version of saying "invest in Vanguard"?
Jack Bogle created Vanguard, but I didn't see the book as overly selling vanguard. Best financial book I have read, and I have read a lot.
Yeah, it's not like he is saying "BUY VANGUARD BUY VANGUARD", but at the end of just about each section it says something along the lines of "and Vanguard offers low costs on this type of managed fund", or something similar.

I was just prepared for the last chapter of the book to tell me step by step which Vanguards to invest in at each age :D

I do appreciate their super low management fees though

It appears this book pimps index funds rather rigorously.

It also seems like these would be right up my alley since I am definitely of the "set it and forget it" mentality.

At 35 I presume many of you would agree to invest most/all of my 403-B contributions into index funds, and probably the more risky of the Vanguard index funds, for example the "Vanguard Institutional Index Fund Institutional Shares" I mentioned earlier??

Yeah, it's not like he is saying "BUY VANGUARD BUY VANGUARD", but at the end of just about each section it says something along the lines of "and Vanguard offers low costs on this type of managed fund", or something similar.

I was just prepared for the last chapter of the book to tell me step by step which Vanguards to invest in at each age :D

Schwab, state street, and ishares all have great low cost index etfs that the bogleheads would generally approve of

The whole cross examining your wife over her spending is weird. Worse yet is this monthly "defend our purchases" session you all talk about.

Sounds dreadful.

The whole cross examining your wife over her spending is weird. Worse yet is this monthly "defend our purchases" session you all talk about.

The

Sounds dreadful.
Otis you'd be as miserable in my life as I would be with your debt load. If I had your income I'd be retiring by 48. But I definitely don't long for lawyer hours.

Spoke to a financial planner today (CFP, fee based).

Fees seemed a bit high...

$1000 dollars for an initial meeting that I'd have to wait 2 weeks on while he researches my w2s, bank statements, tax returns, investments, savings, monthly expenses, etc.

From there it's $5000 per year. Which I realize includes Tax Prep, and on going planning, but I'm not sure I make enough money to justify that cost. Then again, I have enough money currently in stock options that a fee/% based guy may make a killing if those are reinvested and do well.

From guys who know these things (Dr D) does 5k per year seem a bit steep? His office is in one of the most affluent areas in the state, and that may be a big reason (he's used to dealing with bigger bucks?)

Wanted to get a sanity check on those types of fees.
That seems extremely high IMO. Mine is about $1000/year. I initially went filled out a packet with all of that info and they input it all in to generate a report and that drove our conversation from there. I use Ameriprise FWIW.
Is this worth doing? $1000 seems like a lot of scratch, but I imagine someone like me is surely better off letting a pro handle all this.

The

Sounds dreadful.
Otis you'd be as miserable in my life as I would be with your debt load. If I had your income I'd be retiring by 48. But I definitely don't long for lawyer hours.
This last part is true too. My work-life balance is also dreadful.

I'm also about 60 pages in and that's also the general vibe I've gotten. Not that it's a bad thing as I think that's a great investment option for us mid-30s folks.

It's a mindset that can be applied at any brokerage. I use Schwab, but follow the Bogleheads' guidance. It's splitting hairs, but Schwab is just as cheap, maybe a tad cheaper on ETF fees. Really personal preference at that point, but the methodology that the Bogleheads preach is applicable anywhere and :moneybag:

I rely on index funds heavily but I do have some individual stocks. I mostly buy individual stocks now on the accumulation of dividends from existing stocks and funds. For the most part, I have made out well with my individual stock picks post 2008 when I had a catastrophic wipe out of a large part of my portfolio with a past employer that I heavily invested in their stocks failed and went bankrupt. I am just about now healed up from the money I lost with that. Other than that only one other stock pick I have made has been a loser. I sold a few positions a while back but BAC, IRBT and FSLR have all done well for me.

I'm also about 60 pages in and that's also the general vibe I've gotten. Not that it's a bad thing as I think that's a great investment option for us mid-30s folks.
Read the chapter on Insurance near the end. And read about Asset Allocation.

Main points I took from the book: Don't time the market, seek low fees, practice proper asset allocation, rebalance on occasion, and insure your future earnings capacity (disability insurance). And be cognizant of taxes. Set, forget, have a nice life.

Spoke to a financial planner today (CFP, fee based).

Fees seemed a bit high...

$1000 dollars for an initial meeting that I'd have to wait 2 weeks on while he researches my w2s, bank statements, tax returns, investments, savings, monthly expenses, etc.

From there it's $5000 per year. Which I realize includes Tax Prep, and on going planning, but I'm not sure I make enough money to justify that cost. Then again, I have enough money currently in stock options that a fee/% based guy may make a killing if those are reinvested and do well.

From guys who know these things (Dr D) does 5k per year seem a bit steep? His office is in one of the most affluent areas in the state, and that may be a big reason (he's used to dealing with bigger bucks?)

Wanted to get a sanity check on those types of fees.
That seems extremely high IMO. Mine is about $1000/year. I initially went filled out a packet with all of that info and they input it all in to generate a report and that drove our conversation from there. I use Ameriprise FWIW.
Is this worth doing? $1000 seems like a lot of scratch, but I imagine someone like me is surely better off letting a pro handle all this.
You've spent $1000 on far worse things GB

It does seem odd that they say over and over that past performace is no indicator of the future, yet all their advice is based on past performance:))

Granted its 100 years worth, but just a little funny. Funny enough for me to piggyback it anyway. Switched to vanguard index fund already.

I've gone the Vanguard route due to my aunt setting it up a long time ago. The sad thing is that no one, myself included, added money into it for a long time. She started it when I was a teenager and added some money but stopped at a certain point, no idea why. I finally took it over a few years ago even though I could have taken it over before that time. Since, I have added to the fund she set up, added another fund and added a couple of stocks.

I'm not into trading as much as some in "the stock thread" but branching out into a couple stocks for this years contribution was done. My initial fund grew based on the dividends but 2008 hurt and since no one added money, not much compounded over that time. The fund I added is growth due to dividends as well but slightly different. The stocks I added also have a dividend but since I do not own many shares of those, those dividends are minimal for now.

A few years ago I told people to buy AAPL... it was around $500. Then, AAPL fell to under $400 (maybe $350 or so). And, you'll have to do the math as to what one of those shares would be worth now but guess how much money I have put into AAPL... sure enough... $0. Thought about using my $5,500 contribution all into AAPL this year but went with the other two stocks I did buy. Will AAPL keep biting me even though I keep buying their products? We'll see.

Question:

Currently have a ROTH IRA.

Maxed out 2014 and put in a portion for 2015 already. File single, so my MAGI is $114,000 to qualify. Currently I do not exceed this, but it's very possible I will by the end of the year. What happens to my ROTH contributions for this year if this happens and I wasn't expecting it? Should I not put in anymore for 2015 if I'm not 100% sure?
not good, if there's a risk you're going to be close i wouldn't contribute until you file your taxes, which gives you until april 15, 2016.

You'll get penalized and have to go through a bunch of paperwork and it will make your taxes harder.

Any year i thought i'd be close or over, i just waited.

Question:

Maxed out 2014 and put in a portion for 2015 already. File single, so my MAGI is $114,000 to qualify. Currently I do not exceed this, but it's very possible I will by the end of the year. What happens to my ROTH contributions for this year if this happens and I wasn't expecting it? Should I not put in anymore for 2015 if I'm not 100% sure?
for what it's worth:

In 2015, the AGI phase-out range for taxpayers making contributions to a Roth IRA is $183,000 to $193,000 for married couples filing jointly, up from $181,000 to $191,000 in 2014. For singles and heads of household, the income phase-out range is $116,000 to $131,000, up from $114,000 to $129,000.

you're ok to contribute SOMETHING to your roth if you'll be under 131K

when you hit 116K the amount you can contribute just begins to back off of the $5500.. the calculation is some weird math. I remember one year being in that in between zone and i was able to contribute like about 2/3rds the max.

That was stupid because i should've just gone backdoor and gotten the full amount.

Question:

for what it's worth:

In 2015, the AGI phase-out range for taxpayers making contributions to a Roth IRA is $183,000 to $193,000 for married couples filing jointly, up from $181,000 to $191,000 in 2014. For singles and heads of household, the income phase-out range is $116,000 to $131,000, up from $114,000 to $129,000.

when you hit 116K the amount you can contribute just begins to back off of the $5500.. the calculation is some weird math. I remember one year being in that in between zone and i was able to contribute like about 2/3rds the max.

That was stupid because i should've just gone backdoor and gotten the full amount.
Thanks for the INFO. I emailed my accountant to give him a heads up. I did $3k for 2015. I can easily find $2500 to dump in if I'm not going to exceed the 116k.
Thanks for the info, I was going to ask the same thing. The issue for me is that it is probably only this year that the AGI is an issue due to stock options. Next year I should be easily under.

Question:

for what it's worth:

Thanks for the INFO. I emailed my accountant to give him a heads up. I did $3k for 2015. I can easily find $2500 to dump in if I'm not going to exceed the 116k.
You can try to contribute to an HSA/Traditional 401k/Traditional IRA to lower your income as well, if you're able to. I plan to do this when I get initially close to the threshold, start shifting around the %'s from Roth 401k to Traditional as I hit the cusp to allow me to keep pounding the Roth IRA for as long as I can.

If i have a 403-b through fidelity with target date funds and vanguard index funds, would it even make sense to bother with any other retirement things like roths or anything else?

what do you mean am i eligible?

Yes i am maxing employer contributions

..................also, ideally, I don't plan to play the stock market at all (individual stocks that is).

I did finish that Bogleheads book (nice read) and I definitely appreciate the how and why it's a good idea for someone like me to NOT play the stock market :yes: and to stick with target date funds and index funds.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have plenty of time to withdraw earnings and contributions if you over fund or have a higher than expected income. The IRS typically gives you until October 15th to remove without penalty.

I always recommend with the target date funds that you go to the next iteration beyond your retirement. If you are going to retire in 2028, don't get the 2030 fund but get the 2035 or even the 2040. Generally those funds are a bit conservative IMO, so I'd go ten years out and have more money in stocks.

I've had Vanguard since 1998 btw, love them. Their customer service is top notch too in my experience, my comparisons are Fidelity and ETrade who ok to horrific.

I always recommend with the target date funds that you go to the next iteration beyond your retirement. If you are going to retire in 2028, don't get the 2030 fund but get the 2035 or even the 2040. Generally those funds are a bit conservative IMO, so I'd go ten years out and have more money in stocks.

I've had Vanguard since 1998 btw, love them. Their customer service is top notch too in my experience, my comparisons are Fidelity and ETrade who ok to horrific.
If you're going with target date funds, sure. But why go with those funds instead of controlling your own balance?

With TSP and two Roth IRAs (not adding to but not closing my Roth IRA from before TSP had a Roth) it's easier to know my balance by not using target date funds. Plus (and I could be wrong) don't the target date funds have slightly higher expense ratios?

Question for you married investors. How much do you and you SO discuss investment? Especially when it comes to individual stock purchases

Wife and I had an argument two weeks ago because I wanted to buy in with the company I work for. Her reasons were irrational, but it derailed the process.

Stock moved from $4.90 to 7.80 over the past 10 days. (its high was $8.61) Next time, I will ask for forgiveness, instead of asking for permission.

Question for you married investors. How much do you and you SO discuss investment? Especially when it comes to individual stock purchases

Wife and I had an argument two weeks ago because I wanted to buy in with the company I work for. Her reasons were irrational, but it derailed the process.

Stock moved from $4.90 to 7.80 over the past 10 days. (its high was $8.61) Next time, I will ask for forgiveness, instead of asking for permission.
Something tells me you wouldn't be giving her 'credit' if it went the other way...

I personally agree with your wife, your 'wealth' is already concentrated in your company (simply by your employment), why would you want to further concentrate it there? If you get a discount maybe, but I would then look to unload those stocks and diversify

If you're going with target date funds, sure. But why go with those funds instead of controlling your own balance?
Because people don't want to do that. It's hard enough to get people to invest in the first place, target date funds are completely fine for these people. Vanguard's target date funds have expense ratios of about .17

Question:

My gf is finally opening her 401k through work. They match up to a certain amount, right? It's through Fidelity. What should I advise her to do with this money? Any funds through Fidelity that you recommend?

It think she said her company will match up to 3k/year.
401K funds are specific to each company, you would have to ask her for a list (be sure to include expense ratios). Generally, I am going to advise index funds with the lowest expense ratio.

She has to take the match - that is free money. To do otherwise would be crazy. Beyond that, I would advise her to be putting at least 10 and more like 15% of her salary away for retirement. As I like to think about, Old Wilked would want Young Wilked to do it... Let compound interest work for you, not against you

Something tells me you wouldn't be giving her 'credit' if it went the other way...

I personally agree with your wife, your 'wealth' is already concentrated in your company (simply by your employment), why would you want to further concentrate it there? If you get a discount maybe, but I would then look to unload those stocks and diversify
Better question would be did you have knowledge that wasn't available to the public? Was this insider trading? :popcorn:
Wilked - Fair point. I've owned GM and AIG back in the day. So, I admit when I pick a dog.

Bucky - Not really. Our company came out of some large capital expenditures the last two years. (new corporate office and new distribution center) We also just hired a new CEO a few months ago. Also, our e-commerce is getting ready to roll out in June.

Five year low was $2.50 (last Dec). Five year high was $22.22 (Apr 2012). When I looked at everything, I felt it was time to bounce.

Question:

My gf is finally opening her 401k through work. They match up to a certain amount, right? It's through Fidelity. What should I advise her to do with this money? Any funds through Fidelity that you recommend?

It think she said her company will match up to 3k/year.
It is up to the company. It is possible a company can offer a 401k but not match anything. She will need to check it out on her own.

Usually there are a select number of choices offered through the 401k but if they are giving full access to Fidelity pretty much everything is open.

Unless you think the company is super undervalued (whether from inside knowledge or not), I agree it is best to avoid.

Something tells me you wouldn't be giving her 'credit' if it went the other way...I personally agree with your wife, your 'wealth' is already concentrated in your company (simply by your employment), why would you want to further concentrate it there? If you get a discount maybe, but I would then look to unload those stocks and diversify
Better question would be did you have knowledge that wasn't available to the public? Was this insider trading? :popcorn:
Five year low was $2.50 (last Dec). Five year high was $22.22 (Apr 2012). When I looked at everything, I felt it was time to bounce.
Is that you Jim Cramer? ;-)I continue to side with your wife...

To your first question, I tell her what we did. Her eyes gloss over and she understands nothing about finance. But this has been our norm since marriage, I deal with finances, she makes more of the daily decisions with the kids (what doctor to see, whether to get a flu shot, etc.) We ask the other but 99% of the time we just agree with what the other has done.

For your specific question, what you call probably irrational, most of us would find highly rational. Putting some money in your company is fine but not too much.

If you need to ask your wife for forgiveness, don't do it.

So I just fully funded my Roth for 2014 and 2015. For 2016 is it better to fully fund the ROTH ASAP or near the deadline (April 2017)?

Probably best to come up with some sort of agreement ($ wise or % of portfolio wise) that you can do more speculative investing with, just like you would if you were going to a casino and only one of you was gambling. If you can't even agree on that, best to avoid it all together.

So I just fully funded my Roth for 2014 and 2015. For 2016 is it better to fully fund the ROTH ASAP or near the deadline (April 2017)?
In general the most important variable that controls returns is exposure to the market. So, statistically, money in sooner is better.

Wait, we can fund 2016 now? Or is this after April 15th? I didn't think that window was open right now.

To your first question, I tell her what we did. Her eyes gloss over and she understands nothing about finance. But this has been our norm since marriage, I deal with finances, she makes more of the daily decisions with the kids (what doctor to see, whether to get a flu shot, etc.) We ask the other but 99% of the time we just agree with what the other has done.

For your specific question, what you call probably irrational, most of us would find highly rational. Putting some money in your company is fine but not too much.

If you need to ask your wife for forgiveness, don't do it.
Just to clarify, the irrational part is her saying I didn't fully support her place of work. (the post office) Because I pay some of our bills online.

Ultimately, I asked if we could buy stock in the Post Office, would she feel it's a good investment. She agreed it wasn't. But I still didn't win anything.

This guy's like the anti-Eminence. Remember when 16 was stressing about girls and money?

Now he's fully funding IRAs. Way to go.

Sand said:
No. 16 said:
In general the most important variable that controls returns is exposure to the market. So, statistically, money in sooner is better.
True, although some would argue for dollar cost averaging.

KCitons said:
Just to clarify, the irrational part is her saying I didn't fully support her place of work. (the post office) Because I pay some of our bills online.

Ultimately, I asked if we could buy stock in the Post Office, would she feel it's a good investment. She agreed it wasn't. But I still didn't win anything.
yeah, that's nutty. Sorry man, you married a woman.

Gawain said:
No. 16 said:
This guy's like the anti-Eminence. Remember when 16 was stressing about girls and money?

It is called growing up. Most of us do it eventually.

Gawain said:
No. 16 said:

It is called growing up. Most of us do it eventually.
Us meaning footballguys, maybe. We're a self selected population though.

IIRC, it's about 50% of all workers that even fund any retirement plan.

Those that fund an IRA is even lower.

I think taking financial control of your life is a lot more impressive than merely growing up.

ETA: I would never wait until the 2016 deadline. I'd either front-load for more exposure or DCA one a month. I currently put in 1300 Jan 1 and 350 a month.

Mario Kart said:
No. 16 said:
Wait, we can fund 2016 now? Or is this after April 15th? I didn't think that window was open right now.
Was just asking for future use.

Question for you married investors. How much do you and you SO discuss investment?
At first I really tried to be very transparent and engage with her about the investing and the money... wanted to get her into the investing so that I had someone to bounce things off of.

Ultimately she basically told me just to handle the investments myself... She was satisfied as long as she had the password to the Mint account.

So now I just choose whatever is the best play for us.

Question for you married investors. How much do you and you SO discuss investment?
At first I really tried to be very transparent and engage with her about the investing and the money... wanted to get her into the investing so that I had someone to bounce things off of.

Ultimately she basically told me just to handle the investments myself... She was satisfied as long as she had the password to the Mint account.

So now I just choose whatever is the best play for us.
Pretty similar answer for me.

Users who are viewing this thread