What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phenoms going under (3 Viewers)

Prize money is held securely in Phenom Enterprises, LLC business accounts with Wells Fargo and Paypal. You can trust that prize payouts are made quickly and in full at the completion of the fantasy season.

It's not enough money for Mike to leave the country and forever be an ex-patriot. So he pays back dynasty deposits, NBA and NHL leagues, which isn't his core business anyway. I don't know where he's getting the 20-40 percent number from, but I'm guessing it's more like 10-20 percent. The software development story is a sham. Notice the timing comes just days before he's supposed to be processing some heavy payouts. He had a great reputation and no one could see this coming. I don't buy his story, his excuse, his apology. He should be investigated by the FBI. His Facebook and twitter accounts are dead. He could easily be lying about returning any funds. It's just his word which isn't worth much, now that his reputation is shot.
Mike has been an honest and good commish for too long. He put his heart and soul into it and wanted it to succeed.

I think it is a royal ####up on his part rather than a scam.
:goodposting:

Yes he ####ed up royally, but this wasn't some kid that joined the forums 5 minutes ago posting a bunch of leagues. From $200k to 630K+ is just awful however you want to slice it. There's no way people will ever be understand or believe that. Simply inexcusable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine how negative his PayPal account is going to be when all the chargebacks come filing in. Ultimately, PayPal is going to get screwed as this jackass doesn't have enough money to refund.
I'm not an PayPal expert by any means, but I thought it was something like 45 (maybe 90 days) that you could dispute things. One of the reasons I'll only use LeagueSafe.
Thats just PayPal. If you paid via credit card you go to them to file the chargeback. You have to dispute with your card issuer.
Can we go more in depth here? I paid by PayPal and the card linked is my bank credit/debit card. What can I do?

First time poster here.. When I first got the email, this was the first site that was talking about what happened..

I will be the first to admit, I had serious cash with Mike and leagues..

Since 2008 I have spent over $10,000, never had an issue.. What makes things worse is all the people I brought into phenoms, thinking this was as safe as it comes..

After hours of searching, there are three things that have become abundantly clear..

1.) I think the chances of anyone getting anything more that $.10 on the dollar are minimal

2.) I am not sure michael zangrilli is his real name

3.) His LLC in the state of Utah has expired, more of an ominous sign than anything

In the end, I am heart broken, not because of the money, but because of the community we are losing.. I have truly enjoyed the competition with the guys and the keeper/dynasty leagues that I have spent years on are gone, in a heartbeat

At first I tried to convince myself this was the most unconventional screwed up way to try to sell his company or try to take 40% (rather than 10) and when he refunds 60% of the money we are all relieved rather than pissed.. But the more research I did (and I have a pretty expensive computer/law background) the more I am convinced "Mike" is gone in the wind, and we will never hear from him again..

I know how much time and effort go into dynasty leagues. Can't you guys who have dyno leagues at Phenoms simply transfer all of the data over to another site?

See my earlier post--we should all be calling the police/authorities. The sooner and the more people that do that, the sooner we get Mike locked up and possibly get some cash back.

Not in anywhere near as bad of shape as a lot of you but I tried dynasty for the first time this year on Phenoms and really disappointed I won't get to experience a 2nd season. Had some great keeps. Hope I get my deposit back
Right. Can you imagine building a team for years...then...poof! Dynasty football is dead to me now.
It's not the fault of dynasty football - it's the fault of a thief.

See my earlier post--we should all be calling the police/authorities. The sooner and the more people that do that, the sooner we get Mike locked up and possibly get some cash back.
I don't know the law like you do but posting someone's "home address" in a thread where people may have implied threatening behavior seems unwise.

I'm posting it so people can report him to the authorities and they know who to go after. No other reason (certainly not advocating threatening/unlawful behavior).

I don't know the law like you do but posting someone's "home address" in a thread where people may have implied threatening behavior seems unwise.
there is ZERO chance that is his home address...

He has gone to great lengths to erase all traces/signs of his existence..

Has anyone met "mike" or know anyone who knows him in real life?

I know how much time and effort go into dynasty leagues. Can't you guys who have dyno leagues at Phenoms simply transfer all of the data over to another site?
Exactly what I said on the previous page, this sucks royally, but some of these leagues can be saved and all that time and passion invested, salvaged.

Of course, we already have a lawyer posting his personal information and wanting him locked up. Why don't you calm down? Maybe he honestly screwed up and will do his best to pay out what he can.

Agreed. I know that's not the intent when posting that address (and who knows how legit that address actually is), but that could get this thread shut down. So if people want this to be the place where they organize, etc. that address should probably be deleted.

I can't imagine how negative his PayPal account is going to be when all the chargebacks come filing in. Ultimately, PayPal is going to get screwed as this jackass doesn't have enough money to refund.
I'm not an PayPal expert by any means, but I thought it was something like 45 (maybe 90 days) that you could dispute things. One of the reasons I'll only use LeagueSafe.
Thats just PayPal. If you paid via credit card you go to them to file the chargeback. You have to dispute with your card issuer.
Can we go more in depth here? I paid by PayPal and the card linked is my bank credit/debit card. What can I do?
You need to call your bank and file a dispute. Give them all the information you can. This is our only chance at getting our money back. We aren't guaranteed any monies if we win. Direct your bank to this forum. Take screenshots. Lastly if dispute fails, we sue.

Wow, that address is close to where I work. Doubt that is his real address... kind of recall that neighborhood is pretty run down.

Unfortunately the most alarming thing I read here is that this originates in Utah. Utah, especially the Salt Lake Valley, has long been a hotbed for con artists. Without sounding too offensive, there is a dominant faith out here that requires one to believe a LOT... sadly this same kind of trust makes the region very attractive to con's. Dime a dozen out here (but not saying this is absolutely the case).

Curiosity makes me wanna take a little drive tomorrow.

I'm posting it so people can report him to the authorities and they know who to go after. No other reason (certainly not advocating threatening/unlawful behavior).
It doesn't matter why you post it. It's still a pretty uncool thing to do.

It's public record anyway (you can lookup his business in the Utah corporation directory). I'm not posting anything confidential.

Unfortunately the most alarming thing I read here is that this originates in Utah. Utah, especially the Salt Lake Valley, has long been a hotbed for con artists. Without sounding too offensive, there is a dominant faith out here that requires one to believe a LOT... sadly this same kind of trust makes the region very attractive to con's. Dime a dozen out here (but not saying this is absolutely the case).
Mormons don't play fantasy football. I know they don't dance.

Wow, that address is close to where I work. Doubt that is his real address... kind of recall that neighborhood is pretty run down.

Curiosity makes me wanna take a little drive tomorrow.
I asked Mike a few years ago if that was his work address, and he told me it was his condo. I looked on Google maps and felt sorry for him. Oof.

Lol, not jumping to conclusions and acting like a dbag lawyer makes me "Mike"...
It was a joke. But, you are an infrequent poster who's been here for a long time and comes gliding into this thread out of nowhere like someone shined the bat-signal...Also, nice to know that people who just want the money they're owed are "dbags".

They don't gamble, true... but they love fantasy football as much as the next guy/girl.

How do you not question things when the project runs over budget by, say... the cost of a nice house in San Francisco?

How do you not question things when the project runs over budget by, say... the cost of a nice house in San Francisco?
Excellent point. And if the OP's story was true, NO WAY would actual dollar amounts be disclosed in that fashion.

They don't gamble, true... but they love fantasy football as much as the next guy/girl.
It was a Cheers joke.

It was a Cheers joke.
Ugh, missed it. Sorry man. :whoosh:

This is Mike:

Unlucky said:
I didn't see your message board post until today on the league website. However, at the time of the draft, the illegal roster was corrected. So, the owner had a legal roster. Secondly, had he gotten 0 points from those picks, he still would have won. Thirdly, I made similar corrections in other playoff league drafts where illegal picks were made. Unfortunately, due to the flex spots, the computer software allowed illegal picks in the first place as it improperly enforced the roster requirements. I'll listen to all arguments and consider rule changes related to this.MikeCommissioner, Phenoms FF
So he last posted November 14th. About a month ago. And he's IN Tim's FFA league??

Unlucky said:
Just taking a look in the rear-view mirror. How's it going back there, suckers?

There is no one that would love to believe this was a "bad" business move more than me..

If it were he would have not deleted every social account, let his LLC expire, and set up Omega playoff leagues when he knew 100% he would not be able to pay..

This has all the signs of a guy who realized he could steal almost a million dollars and decided that was what he was going to do..

Too many red flags and lies to believe this was a "mistake"…

Also, as far as I can tell, besides social accounts, there are no state/public records of a michael b. zangrilli.. So theres that..

Mike was still starting new leagues in September:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=713411

Unlucky said:
Tonight's leagues start fresh, not counting week 1. Get a new start with another league after all we've learned from week 1. These are the last football leagues offered at Phenoms for the regular season, but NBA and Playoff MLB leagues will be opening later this week for signups. Look for some big things later this season for Playoff NFL leagues!

Join a league tonight: https://www.phenomsff.com/leagues/all-lgs.php

ALPHA 278: $50 live auction at 9 ET, 12 teams, H2H, PPR, 1-Flex, BB, Trading

ALPHA 279: $50 live draft at 9 ET, 12 teams, H2H, PPR, 1-Flex, BB, Trading

PSI 102: $500 live Draft-N-Go at 9 ET, 12 teams, PPR, 1-Flex, No moves/lineups/trades - just your best players count - 7 people interested so far!

PSI 103: $50 live Auction-N-Go at 9 ET, 10 teams, PPR, DEEP lineups, no moves/lineups/trades - popular deep auction format

Thanks for a great football draft and auction season!
Unlucky said:
One measly game has been played, but there are 255 games left in the fantasy football season. For the regular leagues drafting tonight and tomorrow, Thursday game will NOT count since you can't submit your lineup with those players. For the PSI 96 Draft-N-Go tonight and the Draft-N-Go and Auction-N-Go leagues tomorrow, Thursdays game WILL count. Lineups aren't submitted in those leagues as your best possible lineup is taken after all games have been played.

I don't anticipate adding any more leagues beyond what is listed. Don't delay in locking up your spot as I can't guarantee adding more leagues. Let's get these filled up and then kick back and relax on Sunday!

Join a league: https://www.phenomsff.com/leagues/all-lgs.php

Friday Night:

ALPHA 235: $50 draft at 8 PM ET, 12 teams, H2H, PPR, 1-Flex, BB, Trading

DELTA 85: $100 Dynasty draft at 9 PM ET, 12 teams, H2H, PPR, 1-Flex, BB, Trading

ALPHA 271: $50 auction at 9:30 PM ET, 12 teams, H2H, PPR, 2-Flex, BB, Trading

PSI 96: $50 Draft-N-Go at 9:30 PM ET, 12 teams, PPR, 1-Flex (no moves, no submitting lineups - Thursday game counts)

ALPHA 236: $50 draft at 10 PM ET, 12 teams, H2H, PPR, 1-Flex, BB, Trading

BETA 112: $100 draft at 10:30 PM ET, 12 teams, VIC, PPR, 1-Flex, BB, Trading

Saturday afternoon's 2 PM $50 draft is almost full, and there is a lot of interest in the $200 draft-n-go at 2 PM ET Saturday as well.

I just want someone to buy me some damn roses!

I think posting his personal information and wanting Mike thrown in jail before we know all of the facts and how this will play out is what makes him a dbag lawyer. I don't post much, but I'm a regular reader of the forum (don't know why that matters anyway). I'm a regular customer of phenoms so it's natural for me to post about it.

thetman, you are crazy. I am basing everything on Mike's own words. By his own admission he used player funds that should have been segregated for business purposes (and that's if you believe his account). If I did that as a lawyer I would be automatically disbarred. You never ever touch client funds for business/unrelated purposes. That is the cardinal sin.

I think posting his personal information and wanting Mike thrown in jail before we know all of the facts and how this will play out is what makes him a dbag lawyer. I don't post much, but I'm a regular reader of the forum (don't know why that matters anyway). I'm a regular customer of phenoms so it's natural for me to post about it.
Still a joke, man.

You don't think it's suspicious that he let his business license expire and was opening new leagues in September after he obviously knew the ship was going down and wasn't finding investors? This didn't happen in the last three months.

I have even tried looking up every person who has been "socially" associated with him and cross referenced that with every Facebook/LinkedIn/myspace/google account there is..

So far, 0 results..

There is just no reasonable explanation for this in 2014 if he was truly trying to do the right thing...

He is now a ghost

If this was indeed a long con to gain trust and steal a significant amount of money, how in the world would he get away with it? Easy enough to trace the person who controls his PayPal account. Unless the plan is to live on the beach in South America for the rest of his life.

If this was indeed a long con to gain trust and steal a significant amount of money, how in the world would he get away with it? Easy enough to trace the person who controls his PayPal account. Unless the plan is to live on the beach in South America for the rest of his life.
Seems like that name is associated with nothing but Phenoms. Google it. Only things that come up are this thread and some obituaries.

Users who are viewing this thread