What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (1 Viewer)

I use rechargable batteries. If anyone is around when i go to plug them into the outlet, I hold the charger filled with batteries in my hands and look at them with a pained expression on my face and lament, "You know, every couple of days, I just need to recharge my batteries." Always gotten a laugh.
;)
Well it works better when I can deadpan it while holding a charger and batteries in my hand than it does when I type it out on the internet.

I use rechargable batteries. If anyone is around when i go to plug them into the outlet, I hold the charger filled with batteries in my hands and look at them with a pained expression on my face and lament, "You know, every couple of days, I just need to recharge my batteries." Always gotten a laugh.
;)
Well it works better when I can deadpan it while holding a charger and batteries in my hand than it does when I type it out on the internet.
:goodposting:

:loco:
:excited:
He's still serious. :no:

:)
Always getting a laugh doesn't count if you're the one laughing, Shecky.

:lmao:
Always getting a laugh doesn't count if you're the one laughing, Shecky.
:lmao:

"Of late." As in: "The Patriots have done a poor job of late of getting Moss involved."

Is "of late" ever superior to "lately"? And yet, I swear that over the past couple months, I've seen "of late" at least 10 times more often than I've seen "lately" in fantasy football contexts.

It's not quite as bad as always utilizing "utilize" instead of "use" (which is also very common in fantasy football contexts), but it's getting there.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Of late." As in: "The Patriots have done a poor job of late of getting Moss involved."

Is "of late" ever superior to "lately"? And yet, I swear that over the past couple months, I've seen "of late" at least 10 times more often than I've seen "lately" in fantasy football contexts.

It's not quite as bad as always utilizing "utilize" instead of "use" (which is also very common in fantasy football contexts), but it's getting there.
I use "as of late"

Making everyone's name plural

"Brandon Marshall proved this week that he should be considered one of the greats alongside the Randy Mosses, the Larry Fitzgeralds, the Reggie Waynes."

I'm sure it's been mentioned a few times, but I heard the word "vet" - as in "vetted" or "vetting it out" - for the first time this year, and I'm sick of it now.

Ball security..

"Adrian Peterson has had a problem with ball security"... :unsure:
I prefer the old fashion term jock strap, but to each their own. In my mind, though, those rascals can never have too much security. If I was foolsih enough to shop on black friday i would wear a cup for ball security. Those bargain hunters are ruthless. That's right, not a single Ruth among them.

I'm sure it's been mentioned a few times, but I heard the word "vet" - as in "vetted" or "vetting it out" - for the first time this year, and I'm sick of it now.
YES!I never heard this term a day in my life until last year or so. Then, I heard it everywhere. Is this a new term or has it always been there, lying dormant and just waiting for some pretentious crew to pick it up and whitewash the world with it?

YES!I never heard this term a day in my life until last year or so. Then, I heard it everywhere. Is this a new term or has it always been there, lying dormant and just waiting for some pretentious crew to pick it up and whitewash the world with it?
Always been there; it's just now the latest vogue buzzword.

This one has to have been mentioned before and if it hasn't, It'll be a surprise to me. This has to stop. Immediately.

I saw a commercial for that new movie with Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin and some hag. The narrator said "It's LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY". I hate that. It's not creative at all, it's trite, it's painful to hear regarding any movie, let alone one that won't be watched by anybody under 40. Just irks the hell out of me.

This one has to have been mentioned before and if it hasn't, It'll be a surprise to me. This has to stop. Immediately.I saw a commercial for that new movie with Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin and some hag. The narrator said "It's LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY". I hate that. It's not creative at all, it's trite, it's painful to hear regarding any movie, let alone one that won't be watched by anybody under 40. Just irks the hell out of me.
LOL

This one has to have been mentioned before and if it hasn't, It'll be a surprise to me. This has to stop. Immediately.I saw a commercial for that new movie with Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin and some hag. The narrator said "It's LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY". I hate that. It's not creative at all, it's trite, it's painful to hear regarding any movie, let alone one that won't be watched by anybody under 40. Just irks the hell out of me.
LOL
FUNNY!

"He has trust issues"

"She has daddy issues"

There's just one issue in each case. He doesn't trust people. She has a poor relationship with her father.

"you do the math" and "it is what it is" and "with that said" needs to go.

i also agree with the previous mention of vetting.

"double down"

Please stop this now.
So what should I say to the dealer when I get 11? :moneybag:
You don't need to say anything, sport. Put your money out there; the dealer will probably know you're not splitting 11.
He might know it, but why should the phrase be retired when it's exactly what should be said, chief?
No need to say "home run" any more either. Just say "Full count to Pujols...swings...and he gets to go home."

Users who are viewing this thread