What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Physics and astronomy thread (3 Viewers)

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/astronomers-set-a-new-galaxy-distance-record

An international team of astronomers, led by Yale University and the University of California scientists, pushed back the cosmic frontier of galaxy exploration to a time when the universe was only 5 percent of its present age of 13.8 billion years. The team discovered an exceptionally luminous galaxy more than 13 billion years in the past and determined its exact distance from Earth using the combined data from NASA’s Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes, and the Keck I 10-meter telescope at the W. M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii. These observations confirmed it to be the most distant galaxy currently measured, setting a new record. The galaxy existed so long ago, it appears to be only about 100 million years old.

Season 6 of Through The Wormwhole is on. Episode 2 was on time as the 4th dimension with all the cutting edge theories about how time works. In one clip a scientist actually claims to have proof of a communication back in time. One of the best episodes and I've seen every one at least three times.

Season 6 of Through The Wormwhole is on. Episode 2 was on time as the 4th dimension with all the cutting edge theories about how time works. In one clip a scientist actually claims to have proof of a communication back in time. One of the best episodes and I've seen every one at least three times.
Woah, didn't think this was coming back. One of my favorite shows...Thx!

Scientists may have discovered two supermassive black holes orbiting each other in a death spiral. The cool thing is that the computer model suggests they could collide and merge within the next 21 years. If so it would be an incredible opportunity to study such a freak occurrence.
Ok, so the galaxy is 10.5 billion light years away but they think they will collide within the next 21 years? Does that mean they may have collided 10.5B-21 years ago, or that they will collide in the next 21 years but we won't be able to see it for another 10.5 billion years? Explain it to me like I'm 10. Then do it again like I'm 5.

Given what we know about Quantam Entanglement this doesn't seem that out there.
Not at all, but it hurts my head to think about it.
It is a mind bender.
mind bottling, imo.

It is a mind bender.
mind bottling, imo.
In the quantum state, it can be both mind bottling AND a mind bender.

It is a mind bender.
mind bottling, imo.
seems half of one, six dozen of the other.

It is a mind bender.
mind bottling, imo.
seems half of one, six dozen of the other.
You just don't get physics, you Luddite. <_<

I've been pondering this for a few years. The implications are mind-blowing. There's a lot of crazy conclusions one can jump to from here.
After learning this, I've decided I can wait to start pondering it for a few years.

cool NOVA on right now about Hubble's 25th anniversary
Can't wait to see what the James Webb telescope can do. I know it has a shield to keep light away but I wonder what it would take to have a telescope orbit around the moon or if its plausible. Having that dark side with nearly no light penetrating the mirrors, I wonder what that could do.

Can't wait to see what the James Webb telescope can do. I know it has a shield to keep light away but I wonder what it would take to have a telescope orbit around the moon or if its plausible. Having that dark side with nearly no light penetrating the mirrors, I wonder what that could do.
the JWST has amazing potential, but putting it out at the earth-sun L2 point is dangerous. Is it even possible to service it out there?

the JWST has amazing potential, but putting it out at the earth-sun L2 point is dangerous. Is it even possible to service it out there?
No servicing possible. They have one shot at it so no contact lenses this time around.

No servicing possible. They have one shot at it so no contact lenses this time around.
shoot for the stars

Can someone explain to me how last night I could see both Jupiter (which if farther from the sun than us) as well as Venus (which is closer to the sun than us) at the same time? I mean, it was in the evening, when North America was facing away from the sun, but we could see a planet that is closer to it, and only a few degrees away from a planet much, much farther away?

That kinda blew my mind a little bit.

Can someone explain to me how last night I could see both Jupiter (which if farther from the sun than us) as well as Venus (which is closer to the sun than us) at the same time? I mean, it was in the evening, when North America was facing away from the sun, but we could see a planet that is closer to it, and only a few degrees away from a planet much, much farther away?

Was one very low in the sky?
They both were, as they were very close to each other. I guess I just don't understand how these two objects, which are extremely far apart, and where one is much closer to a set point (the sun) and the other is so far away from that same point can seem so close together. Moreover, since Venus is closer to the sun, how/why we're able to see it at night when our "back is to the sun" is kinda odd to me as well.

Anyway, the two are suppose to be extremely close together (from our perspective) over the next few weeks. Give it a look. Apparently they will look closer together in the sky to us than the distance across the moon seems.

Venus would be close behind us and appear to be off to the side of the sun. Jupiter would be off in the same direction and visible, but would not have yet fully "made the turn" coming out from behind the sun so to speak.

Here, you can see the current planet positions at this page: http://www.theplanetstoday.com/

Edit to add Venus could also be more on the backside of the sun at the same time Jupiter was would be another way.

Last edited by a moderator:
... ...

.. ..

. ........... .

. .. .. .

. . ..... . .

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

. . . S . . .

. E . . . .

. . . . . .

. . ..V.. . .

. .. .. .

. ........... .

.. .J

... ...

(image not to scale)

Venus would be close behind us and appear to be off to the side of the sun. Jupiter would be off in the same direction and visible, but would not have yet fully "made the turn" coming out from behind the sun so to speak.

Here, you can see the current planet positions at this page: http://www.theplanetstoday.com/

Edit to add Venus could also be more on the backside of the sun at the same time Jupiter was would be another way.
Exactly what I needed to see to visualize this. One of the "sliders" on that page allows you to set the orbital distance to it's proper scale. I guess that's what was throwing me off a bit as we're much, much , much closer to Venus than to Jupiter.

July 1st (night of June 30th) Venus and Jupiter will be the closest in the sky they've been in a very long time. I've got the date marked on my calendar to watch.

CBusAlex said:
............... ... ... .. .. . ........... . . .. .. . . . ..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S . . . . E . . . . . . . . . . . . ..V.. . . . .. .. . . ........... . .. .J ... ... ...............(image not to scale)
Yeah, it can only happen when one or both are low in the sky, and only close to sunset. It can't be in the middle of the night, IIRC.
That's what I wasn't able to visualize. "At night", Venus would be "at our back".

So sad we didn't build this. Really has us taking a backseat to Europe. Such a shame shortsighted won the day.

Anyway a 70% increase in energy is pretty impressive. Can't wait to see what they find this time.
You said it. It's one of the coolest things on the planet right now. And we are sending all of our greatest minds over there. I'm not sure if it's tourist friendly, but I'd love to see it in person with my son.

Users who are viewing this thread