What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick the Crop of New HOF Quarterbacks (1 Viewer)

Chase Stuart said:
craxie said:
let's compare Rivers' career average vs Bledsoe's best year (any year)

Rivers / Bledsoe

cmp%: 62.3 / 61.5 (2002)

td%: 5.5 / 5.4 (1997)

int%: 2.5 / 2.4 (1996, 2000)

Y/A: 7.5 / 7.6 (1998)

Rate: 92.9 / 87.7 (1997)

ANY/A: 6.2 / 5.6 (1998)

so if you cherry pick Bledsoe's career bests from across 4 different years, he still isn't as good as Rivers' career average

doesn't look like HOF material to me

(the same thing happens with earlier quarterbacks, but they played in a different era. Bledsoe played in the modern era and thus has no excuse)
No one has been a bigger hater of Bledsoe than me, but Bledsoe didn't play in the same era as Rivers. Things move pretty quickly in the NFL. The late '90s was noticeably, even if not significantly, different than now for QBs.
Marino was 10 years before Bledsoe, let's see how he doesRivers / Marino

cmp%: 62.3 / 64.2 (1984)

td%: 5.5 / 8.5 (1984)

int%: 2.5 / 2.0 (1983, 1997)

Y/A: 7.5 / 9.0 (1984)

Rate: 92.9 / 108.9 (1984)

ANY/A: 6.2 / 8.1 (1984)

now that's the sort of domination you expect from a HOF QB

again, Marino was 10 years before Bledsoe, so the 'different eras' excuse for Bledsoe just doesn't really hold water

Last edited by a moderator:
IN

Favre

Peyton

Brady

Warner

McNabb - he needs to shed the choke label, but he's well on his way to doing just that. but will it be in philly?

Brees - i see no reason the ridiculous #'s don't keep coming.

Rivers & Cutler - young, talented, have moxie, have a lot of players already in place on their teams, and are already starting up the Manning/Brady type feud. I think this will be fun to watch.

Eli - 1 ring already, he's on a team that will win plenty of games, and he's going to be around for a long while. i still don't think he's reached the next level and probably never will, but he's durable and good enough to rack up stats

Rodgers - just saw something from him this year, from his first game when he had that qb sneak and did the lambeau leap.

OUT

Chandelier - you don't get into the hall with a nickname like that

Testaverde - definition of compiler

Bledsoe - overall #'s are there, went to one (well 2 technically) SB's, but he's had so many more mediocre seasons than good ones. (but I forgot he threw for 4400 yards with the Bills)

Collins - 55% career completion %, so no.

Brunell - In his best year (statistically) he still threw more int's than td's

Culpepper - he's going to get ignored for having a great WR and never winning anything

Garcia - if it weren't for the "lost years" in detroit and cleveland i might feel differently

Bulger - one excellent 16 game season and a bunch of crap otherwise

Palmer - even if he comes back healthy, that team has a long way to go to get the offense to the point where he can put up those kinds of #'s again

Romo - i see disaster coming

Young - it actually took me awhile to figure out you meant vince. so no.

McNair - this is where it starts to get really tough. I admired him as much as anyone as a player. When healthy and in his prime I'm not sure there are many QBs I'd rather have leading my team. But I'm not sure all the voters will see it the same way, and there isn't enough "factual" evidence to put him in.

Cunningham - its a shame, but I'm not sure he'll ever get credit for changing the way the position was played. Had as much raw talent as anyone, I loved watching him in those pro bowl competitions.

Gannon - His years in Oakland were amazing. What's weird is, if that's all there was, I'd have an easier time putting him in because you could understand why his overall #'s were so low.

Roethlisberger - he should be in for the same reason as Eli, but I'm not sure he stays healthy enough to make it that long.

Green - I have to admit, his #'s are impressive. The guy played in two of the most dominating offenses this decade. But at the time, I thought the players around him made him better, not vice versa and I still believe that.

Cunningham - its a shame, but I'm not sure he'll ever get credit for changing the way the position was played. Had as much raw talent as anyone, I loved watching him in those pro bowl competitions.
Cunningham may have been one of the most mis-used/abused QB's of all time. Buddy Ryan built a superb defense. On offense, it was like he threw a bunch of trash out there and told Randall..."go win it for me". The team offensive structure and philosophy was terrible.Randall Cunningham is probably my favorite player of all time, but I don't think he was used well enough or long enough to warrant serious HOF consideration

Cunningham may have been one of the most mis-used/abused QB's of all time. Buddy Ryan built a superb defense. On offense, it was like he threw a bunch of trash out there and told Randall..."go win it for me". The team offensive structure and philosophy was terrible.Randall Cunningham is probably my favorite player of all time, but I don't think he was used well enough or long enough to warrant serious HOF consideration
:link: Loved watching Cunningham play. Not HOF-worthy, but made watching Eagles games a delight for many years.

dgreen said:
David Yudkin said:
After Aikman, Moon, Manning, Brady, and Favre, what 7 other guys seem HOF worthy?
I see no reason to name 7 and try to get to 12 with this group. To get to 10, I'd say Warner, McNabb, Brees, Roth, and either Matt Ryan or someone who has yet to enter the league or step into a starting role.Warner and McNabb would bring the 1990s count up to 9.
:link: QB is already ridiculously over-represented in the HoF. Really.Favre, Manning are in.Brady may just need to resume his career at an acceptable level, and he may not even need that, honestly, since he got hurt and has had some very nice seasons, and is the face of the Patriots.Warner is interesting, strange career. He started late, was awesome, then bounced around a bit, and is back to being really good again. If the Cards win the Super Bowl - I think he's a lock. Not sure I agree with it, but he was the best QB in the game for a 3 year stretch.Brees/McNabb have a real chance, but need to do more. Right now, neither is on track to get in without improving performance in my mind.Other QB's are too young.If there are just 1-2 QB's who excel over the last bit of the decade, I'd be fine with just adding Manning/Favre/Brady, and those 2 guys.

Comparing the QB class of 2004

By Aaron Schatz

Football Outsiders

Because Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger were chosen together at the top of the 2004 draft, they will always be compared to each other. With all three leading their teams to the playoffs and taking the field this weekend, we wanted to look at their career paths -- by looking at the most similar quarterbacks in recent NFL history.

To do that, we're using similarity scores, an idea first introduced by Bill James to compare baseball players to other baseball players from the past. They aren't a perfect measurement by any means -- because similarity scores compare standard statistics like yards and touchdowns, they are subject to all kinds of biases from strength of schedule to the quality of each player's offensive line. Nevertheless, they're fun to play with and they tell you a little bit about whether a player is good, bad, or just unique. You can find the equations for Football Outsiders similarity scores here. The most recent season is listed, but comparisons are based on three-year career spans. Of course, since there are only so many successful quarterbacks around age 27, many of the same players show up as similar for more than one player.

Note that we only compare players since 1978, the year passing rules were liberalized, and the strike years of 1982 and 1987 are pro-rated to 16 games.

Eli Manning

Player Age/Exp. Comp. Pct. PaYd PaTD INT Yds/Att. 3rd Yr. Sim Avg. Sim

Eli Manning

NYG (2008) 27/5 60.3% 3238 21 10 6.76 -- --

Jim Zorn

SEA (1980) 27/5 56.6% 3346 17 20 6.86 818 804

Aaron Brooks

NO (2003) 27/5 59.1% 3546 24 8 6.85 845 804

Tom Brady

NE (2004) 27/5 60.8% 3692 28 14 7.79 812 804

Jim Kelly

BUF (1988) 28/5 59.5% 3380 15 17 7.48 823 802

Ken O'Brien

NYJ (1987) 27/5 59.5% 3595 17 11 6.86 869 788

Tommy Kramer

MIN (1982) 27/6 57.1% 3621 27 21 6.61 738 762

Tony Eason

NE (1986) 27/4 61.6% 3328 19 10 7.43 852 756

Jim Everett

LARM (1991) 28/6 56.5% 3438 11 20 7.02 782 749

If you forget for a moment that Jim Zorn is now head coach of the Redskins, you might think it is strange that a big-name first overall pick comes out most similar to an undrafted kid from Cal-Poly Pomona. The good news for Manning is that they were most similar in their third and fourth seasons, not their fifth. Manning in 2008 took the big step forward in accuracy that Zorn didn't take until his sixth season in 1981.

As for the rest of this group, I don't know if Giants fans would be more scared by the presence of Aaron Brooks or excited by the presence of Tom Brady. Brooks has remarkably similar numbers to Manning and would rank first if not for his rushing totals. Like Manning, he really improved his accuracy in his fifth season, with his completion rate going from 54 percent to 59 percent and his interceptions dropping from 15 to 8. Unfortunately, this was a one-year fluke. Giants fans hope the same isn't true about Manning. Meanwhile, don't get too excited by seeing Tom Brady's name on this list. The overall shape of Brady's numbers are similar to those of Manning's, but he was better in every category, particularly interceptions.

Philip Rivers

Philip Rivers

SD (2008) 27/5 65.3% 4009 34 11 8.39 -- --

Tom Brady

NE (2005) 28/6 63.0% 4110 26 14 7.75 826 818

Drew Brees

NO (2006) 27/6 64.3% 4418 26 11 7.97 817 809

Carson Palmer

CIN (2006) 27/4 62.3% 4035 28 13 7.76 852 772

Brett Favre

GB (1995) 26/5 63.0% 4413 38 13 7.74 771 756

Joe Montana

SF (1983) 27/5 64.5% 3910 26 12 7.59 832 753

Ken O'Brien

NYJ (1987) 27/5 59.5% 3595 17 11 6.86 699 750

Jim Kelly

BUF (1988) 28/5 59.5% 3380 15 17 7.48 654 727

Peyton Manning

IND (2003) 27/6 67.0% 4267 29 10 7.54 813 726

Rivers had a spectacular season in 2008, and thus the players with the most similar careers are also spectacular. (You'll notice it is tough to find other players with more than eight yards per attempt.) The player on this list coming off the worst season was Jim Kelly, and he's in the Hall of Fame -- plus his good 1986 and 1987 are a lot more similar to Rivers than his mediocre 1988. Looking at this list, it is tough to see Rivers taking a downturn in 2009, as long as he can stay away from Kimo Von Oelhoffen.

Ben Roethlisberger

Ben Roethlisberger

PIT (2008) 26/5 59.9% 3301 17 15 7.04 -- --

Ken O'Brien

NYJ (1987) 27/5 59.5% 3595 17 11 6.86 873 803

Jim Kelly

BUF (1988) 28/5 59.5% 3380 15 17 7.48 895 802

Troy Aikman

DAL (1992) 26/4 63.8% 3445 23 14 7.28 863 769

Jim Zorn

SEA (1980) 27/5 56.6% 3346 17 20 6.86 864 767

Matt Hasselbeck

SEA (2004) 29/6 58.9% 3382 22 15 7.14 850 751

Tom Brady

NE (2003) 26/4 60.0% 3620 23 12 6.86 858 751

Brian Griese

DEN (2001) 26/4 61.0% 2827 23 19 6.27 782 750

Neil Lomax

STL (1985) 26/5 56.3% 3214 18 12 6.82 895 749

Wow, Big Ben sure has taken a roller-coaster ride over the past five seasons, hasn't he? 2006 was a big drop from his first two seasons, but he had his best year in 2007, then fell back to earth again this season. As a result, most of the players who are similar over a three-year period are mostly similar in years one and three of that period. The good news is that most of these players were more accurate the following season, with Ken O'Brien a big exception -- he fell to a 56 percent completion rate in 1988 before rebounding to 60 percent in 1989.

O'Brien shows up on the similarity lists for all three quarterbacks but it's actually a bit stunning how similar he is to Roethlisberger. Both players had stats that bounced all over the place from season to season. Both players were first-round picks from smaller schools (O'Brien went to Division II UC Davis, Roethlisberger to D1-A midmajor Miami of Ohio) and were primarily known for their arm strength. Both players took a ton of sacks -- O'Brien was sacked roughly 50 times per year, Roethlisberger 46. The major difference between them might be their teammates -- unlike Roethlisberger, O'Brien couldn't depend on a top defense that would help win games year after year.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=381...&type=story

Warner is a lock, IMO..McNabb won't get in, he's been hurt an awful lot, and generally doesn't have the stats..if you let McNabb in,then you must include Phil Simms, a two-time SB winner, 1 time SB MVP..IMO, Simms >> McNabbHarry Carson took forever to get in, and he was a perennial pro-bowl selection..Art Monk took forever to get in,and he was WAY better than McNabb is/was..
I personally thing Simms should be in. He did not put up great stats in those Giant offenses, but he did make plays when they needed them and he won games. He also never had a top flight wr to throw to.

Warner is a lock, IMO..McNabb won't get in, he's been hurt an awful lot, and generally doesn't have the stats..if you let McNabb in,then you must include Phil Simms, a two-time SB winner, 1 time SB MVP..IMO, Simms >> McNabbHarry Carson took forever to get in, and he was a perennial pro-bowl selection..Art Monk took forever to get in,and he was WAY better than McNabb is/was..
I personally thing Simms should be in. He did not put up great stats in those Giant offenses, but he did make plays when they needed them and he won games. He also never had a top flight wr to throw to.
Simms led a team best known for their defense. He never really put up huge numbers and won 1 or 2 SBs depending upon how you look at it (technically Hostettler won the second one).Simms ranked Top 5 in completions once, yardage twice, TD once, passer rating three times, and YPA three times in 14 years (not counting 1982 when he didn't play with a knee injury).While he may have been efficient and did not turn the ball over, I never once thought of him as having a WOW factor or anything much more than a game manager.He played lights out against DEN in his one SB appearance, but overall his passer rating in the post season was a so-so 77 in 10 games played.

Simms led a team best known for their defense. He never really put up huge numbers and won 1 or 2 SBs depending upon how you look at it (technically Hostettler won the second one).Simms ranked Top 5 in completions once, yardage twice, TD once, passer rating three times, and YPA three times in 14 years (not counting 1982 when he didn't play with a knee injury).While he may have been efficient and did not turn the ball over, I never once thought of him as having a WOW factor or anything much more than a game manager.He played lights out against DEN in his one SB appearance, but overall his passer rating in the post season was a so-so 77 in 10 games played.
He was also a bit...statuesque in the pocket. Terrible comparison for McNabb.Art Monk? And you want to classify McNabb as a compiler?

He was also a bit...statuesque in the pocket. Terrible comparison for McNabb.Art Monk? And you want to classify McNabb as a compiler?
Once again . . . I have not made any indication at all that McNabb has been a compiler. I haven't said that and I don't think that. I think his year end stats make him look like a compiler because he's missed time in so many seasons.I quite often indicated for years that Monk was a compiler and I wouldn't have voted for him. I can see a case that Monk played on mulitple SB winning teams (which IMO was his best attribute), but I still feel there was only a brief period where he was the most vital WR on his own team. Hats off to him for making it in, but I don't think he was a slam dunk candidate by any stretch. I wouldn't lose sleep over his inclusion or not either way.

Once again . . . I have not made any indication at all that McNabb has been a compiler. I haven't said that and I don't think that. I think his year end stats make him look like a compiler because he's missed time in so many seasons.I quite often indicated for years that Monk was a compiler and I wouldn't have voted for him. I can see a case that Monk played on mulitple SB winning teams (which IMO was his best attribute), but I still feel there was only a brief period where he was the most vital WR on his own team. Hats off to him for making it in, but I don't think he was a slam dunk candidate by any stretch. I wouldn't lose sleep over his inclusion or not either way.
That part of my post wasn't meant for you DY :goodposting:I agree with you about Monk. Never thought he was anything but borderline, at best, for HOF. Most Redskins fans will disagree with us though.

David Yudkin said:
Marvelous said:
I just remember watching so many of the Giant/Redskin games in the 80s. They were always close games that came down to the end of the 4th quarter. And in so many of them, Simms would make the clutch throw to keep a drive alive and eventually to win the game.

While I don't think of Bledsoe as a HOFer, he at least has some redeeming qualities . . .Top 10 in completions 9 timesTop 10 in passing yardage 7 timesTop 10 in passing TD 7 timesTop 10 in YPA 5 timesTop 10 in passer rating 3 times5th all-time in completions8th all-time in passing yardage13th all-time in passing TD14th all-time in passing yds/gmHelped get NE to 2 Super Bowls (with Brady obvioulsy much more of a factor in the 2nd one)Played on 6 times that made the playoffsClearly he had the knack for coming up small in big situations which could kill his chances right there and his playoff totals won't help either, but I wonder if when the dust clears that voters at some point might think that it's harder than it looks to get to nearly 45,000 passing yards.And for those saying he's Vinny Testaverde redux, Blesdoe put up similar or better numbers in 40 fewer games. Again, I wouldn't vote for Bledsoe but I wonder if some people will.
I agree. Bledsoe will be given a very good measure of consideration at some point.

If I get a vote, it's to remove Aikman from the Hall as he was the most overrated QB in history. Yeah he came up big in the playoffs/Super Bowl. But when he didn't have a dynasty team around him, he was as mediocre as Kerry Collins. A great QB makes the most of any team he's on, not just the powerhouse ones.
:rolleyes: Sure, it's "Hall of Fame"...not "Hall of Stats". However, the guy topped 20 TD's in a season one measly time in his career. ONE. This is with the NFL's career rushing leader (Smith), a HOF WR (Irvin) and very good TE (Novacek) for much of his career. Heck, the guy never even topped 3500 yards in a season. In the NFL last year alone, 10 QB's topped 3500 yards passing and guys like Romo and Schaub would have eclipsed 3500 yards w/o injuries. Aikman had a QB rating of 90+ in only two seasons. Nine QB's topped a 90+ QB rating last year.The ring is king. There's no doubt about it. However, there are 20+ full time starters on NFL teams and Aikman was merely a game manager...not a HOF'er.

I can't see seven of those guys making it. I'll go with:

Warner

McNabb

McNair

Cunningham

Roethlisberger

I really enjoyed Gannon and Garcia's guts and willingness to run for 8 yards on 3rd and 7, but I don't put them in the HOF at all.

Bledsoe and Testaverde seem like hollow stats to me.

The main thing this thread has reminded me of is how low the Shark Pool sets its HOF standard. Guys like Bledsoe, Simms, Cunningham, and many others named in this thread should not and will not make the HOF.

I don't particuarly care for the grouping by decade approach. It encourages inclusion of marginal candidates when discussing the current decade. We won't know whether any of the players who entered the league within the last 5 years or so (at least) will merit HOF induction for many years.

The main thing this thread has reminded me of is how low the Shark Pool sets its HOF standard. Guys like Bledsoe, Simms, Cunningham, and many others named in this thread should not and will not make the HOF.I don't particuarly care for the grouping by decade approach. It encourages inclusion of marginal candidates when discussing the current decade. We won't know whether any of the players who entered the league within the last 5 years or so (at least) will merit HOF induction for many years.
Actually, it's how low the Hall sets its QB standard. Vastly over-represented, but I'm hoping we have VERY few QB's going in over the next decade - just Favre would be fine.

The main thing this thread has reminded me of is how low the Shark Pool sets its HOF standard. Guys like Bledsoe, Simms, Cunningham, and many others named in this thread should not and will not make the HOF.I don't particuarly care for the grouping by decade approach. It encourages inclusion of marginal candidates when discussing the current decade. We won't know whether any of the players who entered the league within the last 5 years or so (at least) will merit HOF induction for many years.
I disagree with the last part. If guys from the last 5 years haven't shown much by now they pretty much won't be around long enough to build a body of work impressive enough to merit consideration. I agree that the guys in the first group are not the best candidates, but at least it gets us some dialogue about players that are not discussed very often on the boards. I can't even remember the last time Cunningham's name came up.I'm curious why you don't like the decades approach. Are you suggesting that the voting patterns up until now will suddenly change?

While I don't think of Bledsoe as a HOFer, he at least has some redeeming qualities . . .Top 10 in completions 9 timesTop 10 in passing yardage 7 timesTop 10 in passing TD 7 timesTop 10 in YPA 5 timesTop 10 in passer rating 3 times5th all-time in completions8th all-time in passing yardage13th all-time in passing TD14th all-time in passing yds/gmHelped get NE to 2 Super Bowls (with Brady obvioulsy much more of a factor in the 2nd one)Played on 6 times that made the playoffsClearly he had the knack for coming up small in big situations which could kill his chances right there and his playoff totals won't help either, but I wonder if when the dust clears that voters at some point might think that it's harder than it looks to get to nearly 45,000 passing yards.And for those saying he's Vinny Testaverde redux, Blesdoe put up similar or better numbers in 40 fewer games. Again, I wouldn't vote for Bledsoe but I wonder if some people will.
Bledsoe is an obvious compiler that wasn't very good for very long. Bledsoe ranks below Vinny on my career list, because Bledsoe never had any season like Testaverde did in '96 or '98. While you note that Vinny had more games, they've got the same number of career attempts. I think it's also a bit easier to write off Testaverde's bad early years in Tampa Bay, since they were so bad even Steve Young looked terrible there. It's easy to look at a year like '96 for Bledsoe and think wow, what a year. 4,000 yards, 27 TD, 15 INT. But dig a little deeper. Bledsoe led the league in attempts. Mark Brunell and Testaverde passed for more yards, despite significantly fewer throws. Brett Favre and Testaverde passed for more TD. Yards per pass attempt? Bledsoe wasn't in the top ten that year. Touchdowns per pass attempt? Also not top ten.Bledsoe threw a lot of passes. That's his greatest claim to fame. He ranked in the top three in pass attempts six times, finishing first in '94-'95'-96. But he was never great. His '96 season was good, but it still wasn't as good as Favre, Testaverde, Brunell, Young, Marino or Elway in '96. And that's Bledsoe's problem. Look at his career numbers, and they're impressive. But he did it without any impressive season. Testaverde's in a very similar boat, and he's an odd case because he was the opposite of Bledsoe -- he started his career terribly and then turned it around. But show me any time when Bledsoe ever looked on the same planet as Testaverde in '98, and he wasn't even as good as Testaverde in '96 and probably not as good as Vinny in '95.Three times in his career he ranked in the top ten in a season in QB Rating, and never in the top five. He never averaged more than 5.6 adjusted net yards per pass attempt in any season in his career. He's far from HOF material in my book. As a guy who likes to use stats to rank QBs, Bledsoe's infuriating because people use him as an example of why you can't use stats, when really, he's an example of why people just use the wrong stats.
Terrific post. Sums up Drew's career quite accurately. He posessed an incredibly strong arm, yet had virtually ZERO pocket presence at all, took FAR too many sacks many years due to his mindnumbing tendency to hold the ball, waiting for receivers to get open, getting strip sacked on the blind side, etc... Watching Bledsoe for many years was incredibly frustrating. The guy could make every throw on the field, but often stupidly forced the ball into double coverage, almost trying to throw the ball THROUGH a defender.

Eli Manning?
:banned: He's been a below-average NFL QB for his whole career until December of 2007. Since when is below-average good enough to get in the Hall of Fame?

In their short careers, Big Ben has been a considerably better QB than Eli.
Manning's doing just fine. He already has a ring (as a huge underdog) and his numbers are the result of being in one of teh league's toughest defensive divisions. If Eli keeps improving at the rate that he's been improving over teh last two years, he's going to be a very good QB for a very long time. (and I'm a Eagles fan, so I'd actually like to be wrong about this)

If I get a vote, it's to remove Aikman from the Hall as he was the most overrated QB in history. Yeah he came up big in the playoffs/Super Bowl. But when he didn't have a dynasty team around him, he was as mediocre as Kerry Collins. A great QB makes the most of any team he's on, not just the powerhouse ones.
:goodposting: Sure, it's "Hall of Fame"...not "Hall of Stats". However, the guy topped 20 TD's in a season one measly time in his career. ONE. This is with the NFL's career rushing leader (Smith), a HOF WR (Irvin) and very good TE (Novacek) for much of his career. Heck, the guy never even topped 3500 yards in a season. In the NFL last year alone, 10 QB's topped 3500 yards passing and guys like Romo and Schaub would have eclipsed 3500 yards w/o injuries. Aikman had a QB rating of 90+ in only two seasons. Nine QB's topped a 90+ QB rating last year.The ring is king. There's no doubt about it. However, there are 20+ full time starters on NFL teams and Aikman was merely a game manager...not a HOF'er.
Where does Aikman's individual post-season success factor into this?Aikman's average statistics are also a bit better than you give him credit for, but it's worth noting that he also was competing with Marino, Elway, Montana and Young during the prime years of his career. That's one of the reasons his ranks don't always look terrific.That said, he was top 5 in adjusted net yards per pass from '92 to '95 and then again in '98. Without his playoff performances he's not a HOFer, but he was fantastic in the post-season and that's certainly valuable.

:shrug: Sure, it's "Hall of Fame"...not "Hall of Stats". However, the guy topped 20 TD's in a season one measly time in his career. ONE. This is with the NFL's career rushing leader (Smith), a HOF WR (Irvin) and very good TE (Novacek) for much of his career. Heck, the guy never even topped 3500 yards in a season. In the NFL last year alone, 10 QB's topped 3500 yards passing and guys like Romo and Schaub would have eclipsed 3500 yards w/o injuries. Aikman had a QB rating of 90+ in only two seasons. Nine QB's topped a 90+ QB rating last year.

The ring is king. There's no doubt about it. However, there are 20+ full time starters on NFL teams and Aikman was merely a game manager...not a HOF'er.
Where does Aikman's individual post-season success factor into this?Aikman's average statistics are also a bit better than you give him credit for, but it's worth noting that he also was competing with Marino, Elway, Montana and Young during the prime years of his career. That's one of the reasons his ranks don't always look terrific.

That said, he was top 5 in adjusted net yards per pass from '92 to '95 and then again in '98. Without his playoff performances he's not a HOFer, but he was fantastic in the post-season and that's certainly valuable.
;) Aikman was a great quarterback who did a very good job during the Cowboys' dominant stretch.

A lot of folks like to point out how awesome the talent around him was, but there are many, many quarterbacks who could have screwed up with that cast. There vwere a lot of low-character players in that clubhouse (Newton, Irvin, to name a few) and Aikman held tehm together and won with them. Also, peopel like to point out how Emmitt is the top RB of all-time, but I think anyone who knows football knows where Smith ranks among the Peytons, Browns, Campbells, Dickersons, and Simpsons of the NFL. Aikman hugely added to the value of both him and Irvin.

:shrug: Sure, it's "Hall of Fame"...not "Hall of Stats". However, the guy topped 20 TD's in a season one measly time in his career. ONE. This is with the NFL's career rushing leader (Smith), a HOF WR (Irvin) and very good TE (Novacek) for much of his career. Heck, the guy never even topped 3500 yards in a season. In the NFL last year alone, 10 QB's topped 3500 yards passing and guys like Romo and Schaub would have eclipsed 3500 yards w/o injuries. Aikman had a QB rating of 90+ in only two seasons. Nine QB's topped a 90+ QB rating last year.

The ring is king. There's no doubt about it. However, there are 20+ full time starters on NFL teams and Aikman was merely a game manager...not a HOF'er.
Where does Aikman's individual post-season success factor into this?Aikman's average statistics are also a bit better than you give him credit for, but it's worth noting that he also was competing with Marino, Elway, Montana and Young during the prime years of his career. That's one of the reasons his ranks don't always look terrific.

That said, he was top 5 in adjusted net yards per pass from '92 to '95 and then again in '98. Without his playoff performances he's not a HOFer, but he was fantastic in the post-season and that's certainly valuable.
;) Aikman was a great quarterback who did a very good job during the Cowboys' dominant stretch.

A lot of folks like to point out how awesome the talent around him was, but there are many, many quarterbacks who could have screwed up with that cast. There vwere a lot of low-character players in that clubhouse (Newton, Irvin, to name a few) and Aikman held tehm together and won with them. Also, peopel like to point out how Emmitt is the top RB of all-time, but I think anyone who knows football knows where Smith ranks among the Peytons, Browns, Campbells, Dickersons, and Simpsons of the NFL. Aikman hugely added to the value of both him and Irvin.
I don't think anyone ranks Aikman higher on the all time QB list than they rank Emmit on the all time RB list.

I don't think anyone ranks Aikman higher on the all time QB list than they rank Emmit on the all time RB list.
I don't think so either, but he's definitely a deserving Hall of Famer.

David Yudkin said:
Just Win Baby said:
I disagree with the last part. If guys from the last 5 years haven't shown much by now they pretty much won't be around long enough to build a body of work impressive enough to merit consideration. I agree that the guys in the first group are not the best candidates, but at least it gets us some dialogue about players that are not discussed very often on the boards. I can't even remember the last time Cunningham's name came up.I'm curious why you don't like the decades approach. Are you suggesting that the voting patterns up until now will suddenly change?
What I'm saying is that if 10-12 QBs make it who played at least one season between 2000 and 2009, we likely cannot accurately identify at least a few of them, because they have likely been starting for only a few seasons or less. Thus, because the point of the thread is to come up with 10-12 names, people start bringing up a lot of players who are not worthy.Also, I do think it's very possible voting patterns will change. For one thing, decades obviously have nothing to do with the process, so dividing up the inductees this way is arbitrary. And, while there were 5 such periods in a row with 10-12 QBs, that's still only a sample size of 5. Finally, it is certainly possible that the number of HOF worthy QBs will fluctuate at times... it wouldn't be surprising (to me) to see a down decade for HOF QBs, especially since there are two factors in play for that - the quality of the QBs and the subjective assessments of the voters.

David Yudkin said:
Just Win Baby said:
What I'm saying is that if 10-12 QBs make it who played at least one season between 2000 and 2009, we likely cannot accurately identify at least a few of them, because they have likely been starting for only a few seasons or less. Thus, because the point of the thread is to come up with 10-12 names, people start bringing up a lot of players who are not worthy.Also, I do think it's very possible voting patterns will change. For one thing, decades obviously have nothing to do with the process, so dividing up the inductees this way is arbitrary. And, while there were 5 such periods in a row with 10-12 QBs, that's still only a sample size of 5. Finally, it is certainly possible that the number of HOF worthy QBs will fluctuate at times... it wouldn't be surprising (to me) to see a down decade for HOF QBs, especially since there are two factors in play for that - the quality of the QBs and the subjective assessments of the voters.
I think you are being a bit too literally. It's an open forum discussion. Could there be fewer than the typically 10-12? Sure. But it's a theoretical discussion. IF THE HOF TREND CONTINUES . . . then who MIGHT make it.Given that we know two guys already (Aikman and Moon) and Favre, Manning, and Brady seem like they are going to make it, to ask for 5-7 other maybes gives us somehting to talk about.As already outlined, yes, there are some guys that played in the last year or two (or may enter the league this year), but it seems to me that there are a handful of guys in the running (Warner, McNabb, Brees, Rivers, etc.) that don't make this a totally pointless exercise.Tell you what. To make it more concrete, I'll make a thread just for the 90s since we know who the options are . . .

Users who are viewing this thread