What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Playoffs Thread - New York Giants V New England (1 Viewer)

LMAO at Tiki Barber on SNY saying what a loyal organization the Giants are, after he threw them under the bus.
They win the year after he retires healthy and still able to play but he was above the whole thing. He comes crawling back and can't get a sniff from anyone in camps and the Giants win another Super Bowl.

What a run. 14 games in, whod'a thunk it. But this franchise has found a way to put enough pieces together from coaching to the QB to defense to position for a run. In '86 they dominated, but '90 and these last two have been some great runs and good karma. They make it happen. Hard to argue with Eli's place amongst QBs right now, and from his draft class. He finds a way to win... and has done so repeatedly.

Needless to say, an ecstatic Giants fan here.

Overall, I'd have to say this was a pretty well officiated game. There weren't really any completely blown calls, and the ones that really were game changers they made the right call I thought. A couple that were judgment calls, but I'd give the refs a B+ for tonight.

Twitter @twitter

In the final three minutes of the Super Bowl tonight, there were an average of 10,000 Tweets per second.

Good game giants, hate to see everything collapse in the fourth for the pats like that, but here's my question:Witth 19 seconds on the clock, the pats spike it. It runs down to 17, which is understandable. But the next play is a 12 men on the field penalty. And afterwards, there are 9 seconds left on the clock.If that's the rule, then why not put 53 men and all your cheerleaders on the field every play in the final two minutes and just concede five yards at a time?
I've actually been saying for years that teams should do this and brought it up again with my wife when it happened here.There are actually tons of little ways to abuse the rules like this.
I was debating it when it happened today. It does lessen the chances of the offense gaining significant yards. It also means the offense automatically gets another play even if you have a play like a sack or interception that would have ended the game.The "put 53 men on the field" angle is ridiculous. They would probably be called for a palpably unfair act and the ref would be in his power to penalize the defense in any fashion he deemed warranted up to and including a touchdown.But putting 12 men on the field in that exact situation... yes, it's a smart play. I don't think that's a big deal though. There are plenty of other smart penalties that can and are committed in games that I don't think anything needs to be done about either.
Ok, correction. It wouldn't be a palpably unfair act. It would be rule 12-3-2 (which is right before the palpably unfair act rule):
FOULS TO PREVENT SCOREArticle 2 The defense shall not commit successive or continued fouls to prevent a score.Penalty: For continuous fouls to prevent a score: If the violation is repeated after a warning, thescore involved is awarded to the offensive team.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a life long Patriots fan, let me get in line to congradulate the Giants. One of the best late season runs in recent memory. They just won one of the closest super bowls since Rams-Titans (that I can think of). Nobody can say Eli isn't one of the best now.

What a run. 14 games in, whod'a thunk it. But this franchise has found a way to put enough pieces together from coaching to the QB to defense to position for a run. In '86 they dominated, but '90 and these last two have been some great runs and good karma. They make it happen. Hard to argue with Eli's place amongst QBs right now, and from his draft class. He finds a way to win... and has done so repeatedly.Needless to say, an ecstatic Giants fan here.
In the same boat. Never thought they had a chance this year, but Coughlin and Co. kept proving me wrong. This team plays with more heart and toughness than any team I know of, and that goes straight back to Coach Coughlin. Combine that with Eli's simple refusal to lose, and the receiving corps stellar ability to come up with the big catch when needed, and I'm one happy boy right now.

All those years with Patriot fans hating on Peyton and it was Eli that drove the stake into their hearts twice now. Seems like they hated the wrong Manning.

Im happy with the year the pats had. This was one of the worst teams to surround brady, and the gem of the season, gronk, got hurt the game before the superbowl. Brady carried this team to a lead in the final minutes of the superbowl, and made good passes that would have iced the game, just like in the afccg in 2006. The haters can enjoy tapdancing on the grave, but brady has shown everyone what a gamer he is. Im just sad they couldn't win it for myra.
Not tonight Fred. i dont' disagree with you but lets give the NYG props. They earned it.

BB blew off reporters after the game...maybe they should at least make him wait a year before he is elected to he HoF so he isn't 1st ballot.

All those years with Patriot fans hating on Peyton and it was Eli that drove the stake into their hearts twice now. Seems like they hated the wrong Manning.
Pats fans will refer to him as Eli "F :censored: ng" Manning for the next several decades.

I'm watching Brandon Jacobs give a bizarrely Garnett-esque on-field interview.

Good for him. Love it.

Now that the tension has died down, Brady's safety was terrible. He needed to step up and around and throw it towards a receiver on the sideline and they're not going to call that. That game was strange. Very disjointed and ugly looking. No flow or rhythm to it, and a lot of points and plays left out there.

Overall, I'd have to say this was a pretty well officiated game. There weren't really any completely blown calls, and the ones that really were game changers they made the right call I thought. A couple that were judgment calls, but I'd give the refs a B+ for tonight.
overall, yes i agree. but the glaring error that could have easily cost the Giants this game was the non-call on a clear pass interference play that would have put the Giants in first and ten almost in field goal range, down by 2 with about 5 minutes left. critical non-call and i am just glad that justice prevailed. congrats to the Giants and their fans on a great late-season run. they were clearly the better team out there tonight.

Patriots WRs dropping Bradys passes have been the story of the 4th quarter.
Let's not absolve Brady here. Some of those throws we not very good.
And there was the safety. He could have gotten out of the endzone by running to the right.
At least outside of the tackles before dumping it.
That was a total ##### move. I couldn't believe a professional QB would act like such a ######.

And there was the safety. He could have gotten out of the endzone by running to the right.
That was a total ##### move. I couldn't believe a professional QB would act like such a ######.
Lets take it easy on Tommy here, he had help. The last three plays that mattered was the welker drop with 3:50 left. Branch drop on the cross with :55 seconds. Hernandez drop with :45 sec. After the sack that they counldn't take they picked up the first down with ~:30 sec left. Granted the safety was bad and the sack was worse, but the three drops in a row killed them. First and ten from the Giants 40 with :30 and a To left is miles different then :30 with no TO from the Pats 35.And if Welker caught the first one.... well then it was game over.

Lets take it easy on Tommy here, he had help. The last three plays that mattered was the welker drop with 3:50 left. Branch drop on the cross with :55 seconds. Hernandez drop with :45 sec. After the sack that they counldn't take they picked up the first down with ~:30 sec left. Granted the safety was bad and the sack was worse, but the three drops in a row killed them. First and ten from the Giants 40 with :30 and a To left is miles different then :30 with no TO from the Pats 35.And if Welker caught the first one.... well then it was game over.
Lot of drops. No vertical threat. Gronk hurt. Bad confluence of all sorts of things for the Patriots.

Dont' gimme that. A QB is like the President. You get the credit and you get the blame. Don't like it? Tough ####. Brady sucked the big one on his FIRST play and spotted the Giants 2 points plus a possession. You think the Pats could use an extra possession at the end of the game? I ####### think so!! Dude played like a girl tonight. That's that.

So, does Vegas win or lose on the:

Safety = 1st score?

NY Giants Defense = 1st score?

Giants covering?

Other prop bets?

What a run. 14 games in, whod'a thunk it. But this franchise has found a way to put enough pieces together from coaching to the QB to defense to position for a run. In '86 they dominated, but '90 and these last two have been some great runs and good karma. They make it happen. Hard to argue with Eli's place amongst QBs right now, and from his draft class. He finds a way to win... and has done so repeatedly.Needless to say, an ecstatic Giants fan here.
Hey - I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

Lets take it easy on Tommy here, he had help. The last three plays that mattered was the welker drop with 3:50 left. Branch drop on the cross with :55 seconds. Hernandez drop with :45 sec. After the sack that they counldn't take they picked up the first down with ~:30 sec left. Granted the safety was bad and the sack was worse, but the three drops in a row killed them. First and ten from the Giants 40 with :30 and a To left is miles different then :30 with no TO from the Pats 35.

And if Welker caught the first one.... well then it was game over.
You can't blame Branch for the play at :55. It's up to the QB to get the ball to the receiver without a defender tipping it first. Kenny Phillips deflected the ball before it got to Branch. Just watch how the ball is a perfect spiral until it gets to Phillips after which it is tumbling in the air.

I never noticed the chick flashing her middle finger during the halftime show. Though I did notice a weird distorted imaged thing which happened right after it which I guess was maybe a too-slow attempt to stop the bird from hitting the airwaves?

'RC94 said:
'Koya said:
Cleared some out, try now.

:unsure: Anyone else read the game thread at the Red Sox & Boston sportsfans' site Sons of Sam Horn? Here's a link starting at the page where the Pats are rolling along toward victory... until the Welker missed catch. Good commentary.

'RC94 said:
'Koya said:
Cleared some out, try now.
It's still saying you cannot receive new messages. I'm not sure what the problem is.

:unsure: Anyone else read the game thread at the Red Sox & Boston sportsfans' site Sons of Sam Horn? Here's a link starting at the page where the Pats are rolling along toward victory... until the Welker missed catch. Good commentary.
Not dealing with the deepest of gene pools up there. It's 10X worse when the Yanks beat the Sox, on a random Tuesday in July. At least you've learned new ways to use the F word. First time in the history of the English Language the F word was used in the 3rd Person was on that site.Proud that Eli is the Boogie-Man for an entire generation of Bostonians!

Whew, that kind of partisanship would wear me out. I really liked reading the anguish from those Boston people, though.

Whew, that kind of partisanship would wear me out. I really liked reading the anguish from those Boston people, though.
Schuadenfraude at its finest.
I think the finest would have been reading a Yankees board after blowing that 3-0 lead in the World Series.

Giants unsung hero of the game was Punter Steve Weatherford. Pinned the Patriots deep on multiple occassions. Could've had another downed inside the 5 if the Giants coverage player didn't overrun it.

Nobody's talked about it but in a closely fought game taht came down to the wire, Weatherford had about as much impact as a punter can have short of a fake that nets a big first down.

Weatherford also matched SF's punter in the NFC title game despite the miserable weather and this being labelled as an advantage for SF going into the game.

Giants better re-sign him.

Giants unsung hero of the game was Punter Steve Weatherford. Pinned the Patriots deep on multiple occassions. Could've had another downed inside the 5 if the Giants coverage player didn't overrun it. Nobody's talked about it but in a closely fought game taht came down to the wire, Weatherford had about as much impact as a punter can have short of a fake that nets a big first down.Weatherford also matched SF's punter in the NFC title game despite the miserable weather and this being labelled as an advantage for SF going into the game. Giants better re-sign him.
One of the areas of this game that seems to be getting overlooked is how tough the Pats starting field position was for pretty much the whole game and Weatherford was a very big part of it...

Giants unsung hero of the game was Punter Steve Weatherford. Pinned the Patriots deep on multiple occassions. Could've had another downed inside the 5 if the Giants coverage player didn't overrun it. Nobody's talked about it but in a closely fought game taht came down to the wire, Weatherford had about as much impact as a punter can have short of a fake that nets a big first down.Weatherford also matched SF's punter in the NFC title game despite the miserable weather and this being labelled as an advantage for SF going into the game. Giants better re-sign him.
Reports say he was offered a 3 year deal today. Conflicting reports about whether he accepted. Beat writer Mike Garafolo seems confident that a deal will get done.

Weatherford spoke of his desire today to remain with this team for the rest of his career. I think it gets done.

Giants unsung hero of the game was Punter Steve Weatherford. Pinned the Patriots deep on multiple occassions. Could've had another downed inside the 5 if the Giants coverage player didn't overrun it.

Nobody's talked about it but in a closely fought game taht came down to the wire, Weatherford had about as much impact as a punter can have short of a fake that nets a big first down.

Weatherford also matched SF's punter in the NFC title game despite the miserable weather and this being labelled as an advantage for SF going into the game.

Giants better re-sign him.
Weatherford spoke of his desire today to remain with this team for the rest of his career. I think it gets done.
Signed a 3 year deal... Reese isn't wasting any time.Edit to add: Not sure he's signed... yet. Now I'm hearing it may only be an offer at this point.

The funniest part to me was a guy going "Cmon Myra" like some magic spirit is going to win the football game for them. Yo, the hag is dead. The only thing she does now is decompose.

Does anyone have or could point me to the Patriots Radio broadcast of the Super Bowl? I understand the color guy makes a complete ### of himself calling out Eli all game long and I just want to hear it for myself.

The funniest part to me was a guy going "Cmon Myra" like some magic spirit is going to win the football game for them. Yo, the hag is dead. The only thing she does now is decompose.
:thumbdown:

Users who are viewing this thread