What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Police shot a man 20 times in his back yard, thinking he had a gun. It was a cellphone (1 Viewer)

What was the guy doing in his own back yard in the first place?  Sounds like he had it coming.
He wasn't in his own backyard....He was in his grandmothers back yard after running away from the police...She was the one to say he was in his own backyard of course she didn't even know it was him till later..She said she began to suspect the police description of a dead person in her yard was a member of the family.

He wasn't in his own backyard....He was in his grandmothers back yard after running away from the police...She was the one to say he was in his own backyard of course she didn't even know it was him till later..She said she began to suspect the police description of a dead person in her yard was a member of the family.
He lived there. 

Without much evidence, I’d say the police made a huge mistake that cost this man his life. 

The commentary mentioning the guy was in his own backyard is just political bs. While maybe factually true, it wasn’t as if they guy was chillin in the yard and they rushed in and killed him. He was chased and ran home, where he was ultimately killed. 

The people who protest on the freeways are some of the most selfish __________ in the world.  Every day people (including other minorities) are prevented from getting to their jobs and businesses who have nothing to do with this incident suffer financially. gtfo the road.

The people who protest on the freeways are some of the most selfish __________ in the world.  Every day people (including other minorities) are prevented from getting to their jobs and businesses who have nothing to do with this incident suffer financially. gtfo the road.
Hang in there

Haven't seen it here, and wondering if i read it correctly elsewhere...

But I swear that when I first heard of this story, it was reported that someone was breaking into cars in the neighborhood, and this guy was running from the police and hopping over fences and running through backyards until he reached his grandmother's house. And then once there is when the cops shot him.

It certainly appears to be an overreaction to the crime, but if this guy is resisting arrest and running from the cops... cops are going to have an itchy trigger finger, no?

Though I rarely agree with this particular poster, I do this time. He failed to mention that it can also impede emergency transport like ambulances or people needing to get to a hospital. I am in favor of public protests but surely there is a way to do so that does not have such a negative effect? 

But I swear that when I first heard of this story, it was reported that someone was breaking into cars in the neighborhood, and this guy was running from the police and hopping over fences and running through backyards until he reached his grandmother's house. And then once there is when the cops shot him.

It certainly appears to be an overreaction to the crime, but if this guy is resisting arrest and running from the cops... cops are going to have an itchy trigger finger, no?
I've read that multiple places.   But doesn't fit the agenda of this particular forum.

No. Or at least they shouldn’t. Police officers are not supposed to act like you and me. Because they have the legal right to use deadly force if necessary, they are trained what to do in these situations. If they react with “itchy trigger fingers”, then there is something wrong with the training. 

I've read that multiple places.   But doesn't fit the agenda of this particular forum.
If you think there’s a valid argument to make, feel free to make it. But stop whining about this forum’s supposed “agenda”. It’s not true and it makes you sound like a wimp. 

No. Or at least they shouldn’t. Police officers are not supposed to act like you and me. Because they have the legal right to use deadly force if necessary, they are trained what to do in these situations. If they react with “itchy trigger fingers”, then there is something wrong with the training. 
It's night, it's dark, guy committing crimes and running from the cops, you see an object in his hands, adrenaline is on tilt...

Not saying what is right or what is wrong. I'm just saying that I can understand how something like this might happen. If I'm running after a criminal, and I see an object in his hand, I'm going to make sure that I'm not the one who is going to die.

I don't. That's why I used the word "presume".
I presume this as well since modern cities are not dark at night.  I have always been able to see and cops are not particularly difficult to identify, what with their marked cars and uniforms.  Funny, we all understand that five year olds in inner cities can spot unmarked cop cars and plain clothed cops in an instance, but when folks want to argue the other side they think experienced criminals running from the cops when caught in criminal acts might have some doubt as to their provenance.  

Can I prove knowledge to the satisfaction of someone who insists nothing can be known, of course not, at least not to the point they will admit it.  Do I know for myself and for reasonable people what the victim in this case knew, absolutely.

Those going for the uncertainty of identity angle have to sell that the ex-con, in the act of committing crimes and so on the lookout for cops could flee uniformed officers arriving in marked cars in a city with lights, and then presume that those men had at their disposal a chopper to light the scene while just being officious intermeddlers and not law enforcement.  Play the fool if one must. I cannot prove that someone was aware of something, but I can treat their assertions, or anybody else's, that lack of awareness under these circumstances, as foolish and they, themselves as fools.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the guy may have just been walking down the street when 2 men running at him in the dark.
No. Helicopter patrol was watching the suspect the whole time. They knew it was him. Foot patrol cops see him (and the suspect sees that the cops see him) and chase him into the backyard. Cops tell him to put his hands up. Suspect shows his hands with an object in one of them. Then suspect proceeds to approach the cops. One of the cops yells "Gun, gun, gun!" Game over.

It's messed up for sure. But how about not committing crimes and then running from the cops?

No. Helicopter patrol was watching the suspect the whole time. They knew it was him. Foot patrol cops see him (and the suspect sees that the cops see him) and chase him into the backyard. Cops tell him to put his hands up. Suspect shows his hands with an object in one of them. Then suspect proceeds to approach the cops. One of the cops yells "Gun, gun, gun!" Game over.

It's messed up for sure. But how about not committing crimes and then running from the cops?
How about cops NOT killing people?  Running from cops, in any scenario, is not punishable by death.  Ever.

FWIW, the first accounts I heard and read gave these same details.

From what I know about this case so far, the cop(s) will not stand trial. The "something in his hand" detail is going to end up being exculpatory, for right or wrong. Police are not obligated to get a positive ID on the object in hand -- again, for right or wrong. Poor lighting, it being night out, etc. will be extenuating factors.

I simply refuse to be upset when criminals get shot by police during the act of committing crimes. You have to know that is one of the possible outcomes. 
That's all well and good but it avoids the fact that the line is so much thinner for people of color than white people. And that many people are getting shot committing no crimes at all. 

Jackstraw said:
That's all well and good but it avoids the fact that the line is so much thinner for people of color than white people. And that many people are getting shot committing no crimes at all. 
I do understand your point. And I am not condoning the systemic racism, but all the more reason to not be stupid if you are of color.

Tom Skerritt said:

Resisting arrest isn't a fatal decision (or shouldn't be). That's what tasers are for. Once they see a "gun", sure. But before that, running away from police with no sighted weapon to that point is what tasers, dogs, whatever besides lethal force are for.

Resisting arrest isn't a fatal decision (or shouldn't be). That's what tasers are for. Once they see a "gun", sure. But before that, running away from police with no sighted weapon to that point is what tasers, dogs, whatever besides lethal force are for.
Of course. But that's not what we have here. If police see what appears to be a weapon, they won't hesitate to use deadly force. 

If this guy wasnt out committing crimes and running from the police, he would likely still be alive. 

Cjw_55106 said:
Yes, skin color is the only difference in the two stories. 
Save your breath. He already made a dumb comparison like this earlier in the thread when he stated that the austin bomber being white made the comments in the media different than they would ever have been for a black man. Then when comments very similar about a black man that allegedly killed 4 people in Tampa were shown he just ignored it and carried on. 

Of course. But that's not what we have here. If police see what appears to be a weapon, they won't hesitate to use deadly force. 

If this guy wasnt out committing crimes and running from the police, he would likely still be alive. 
We don't actually know this to be true yet. If there is one thing I have learned a lot from these situations is that unfortunately sometimes some really inaccurate 911 calls can lead to these things escalating. 

We don't actually know this to be true yet. If there is one thing I have learned a lot from these situations is that unfortunately sometimes some really inaccurate 911 calls can lead to these things escalating. 
:Caller: Is this 911?  Yes, well I would like to report a black person out at night. 

:911 Operator:  Do you have armed neighborhood watch?

:Caller: Not that I am aware of.

:911 Operator:  Then we will send over  some hard, pipe-hitting ni...,  I mean we will send some officers immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread