What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portland, Oregon (1 Viewer)

4 days at home and 1 day in the office so pretty good work situation

Where is the office? 

Portland has the typical bad traffic coming into the city on all arteries during the morning rush and back out during the afternoon rush. The worst is probably is probably I-5 heading north or south during the afternoon rush hour.  Honestly, traffic can be bad for sections at a time, but it doesn't take long to get outside of the downtown and take side streets if you live in Portland general. I live up north by St. Johns and really like it up here. Still fairly quiet and it's easy to access most of the city except it does take a while to get down to the SE part.

I haven't spent much time in the SW and I know a lot of people like the SE (Division and Hawthorne streets), but that is probably the most gentrified area of the city. I'm a fan of anything along the entire north side of Portland from St. Johns all the way over to 82nd street or so. I guess it will all depend on your budget. 

Where is the office? 

Portland has the typical bad traffic coming into the city on all arteries during the morning rush and back out during the afternoon rush. The worst is probably is probably I-5 heading north or south during the afternoon rush hour.  Honestly, traffic can be bad for sections at a time, but it doesn't take long to get outside of the downtown and take side streets if you live in Portland general. I live up north by St. Johns and really like it up here. Still fairly quiet and it's easy to access most of the city except it does take a while to get down to the SE part.

I haven't spent much time in the SW and I know a lot of people like the SE (Division and Hawthorne streets), but that is probably the most gentrified area of the city. I'm a fan of anything along the entire north side of Portland from St. Johns all the way over to 82nd street or so. I guess it will all depend on your budget. 

Thanks for the info.  Appreciated :)   This is the kind of information I'm looking for.  We are undecided on where we would live.  Online I have heard good things about moreland but it's online so people tend to just complain and it's hard to put together a true story on anything.  In our trips there we certainly like the hawthorne area for visiting anyway but have no idea what it would be like to live there.  We don't want people breaking into our car every night 

The job is downtown for that one day a week commute.  

I also really like Arbor Lodge, Kenton and Overlook. Any of the neighborhoods in the general vicinity of the Adidas HQ. 

Thanks for the tips.  Money isn't much of an issue for us really...we aren't millionaires but can afford 700k for a place

This is the kind of info I'm happy to get.  We like laurelhurst for sure but we have never lived there and usually with that kind of commercial activity comes alot of homelessness and petty crime.  

Have a really good job offer which would move the family to Portland.  Anyone live there that can give me some in depth analysis?  We are actually already on the west coast but I'm wondering about really good neighborhoods for family.  We have been there a number of times but mostly we hang out in the all the typical places.  Is traffic a nightmare in any particular direction?  Areas to avoid?  Any other helpful tips?  

The offer is great but I'm on the fence.  I also have another offer that would take us to Vancouver Canada but the cost of living is off the charts

Happy to field any questions you might have.  Moved to the area in 1996 and have zero intentions of living anywhere else despite the grim pictures you might see on the news or hear in the PSF.  

Father of 5 who are either in or graduated from the Beaverton School District.  Very pleased, especially with the High School.  I bought my first home in 2001 - a little ranch burger in a great neighborhood nestled in the armpit of HWY 26 and 217.  I loved the neighborhood so much that I bought the house two doors down in 2015 when my wife was pregnant with twins.  Much larger house that needed a LOT of updating, but absolutely no regrets.  

Absent traffic, I am 9 minutes from downtown.  With traffic, no-telling and yes, traffic can be frustrating.  However, I am a mile's walk to the Beaverton Transit Center, so I can take the light rail downtown, to the airport and many points in between.  In fact, 95% of the time, I walk to the Transit Center, hop on a train for a 17 minute commute to Tualatin and walk 1.5 miles to my office from there.  Much better for my blood pressure than sitting on 217 in mind-numbing traffic.  

Yes, traffic is bad here.  It is NOTHING like Seattle or the Bay Area or LA or San Diego or pick a name of another city in the US.  It's just a small city which never planned on having this many people move here.  Plus, there's not a whole lot of room for building more roads unless you want to sacrifice some of the natural beauty this city has in droves.  Blessedly, we have options - bike lanes abound and I'd rank the public transportation here as excellent, clean and mostly safe (though you gotta look out and be aware in certain areas).  So for a guy that can go 4 days at home and 1 in the office, the aggravation you'd experience commuting by car would be minimal.  

I've never felt the need to avoid any areas though some might give me pause if I'm leaving a car unattended.  Having lived in Dallas and Jackson, MS and marrying a woman from Detroit, I laugh at anybody saying Portland has some sketchy neighborhoods.  Even the sketchy parts have houses where people take pride in their little kingdoms.  Plus, some of these areas might have hidden treasure of dining or drinking or stripping so no need to really be fearful.  There isn't an 8-Mile here.  

That said, downtown has been scarred recently.  Boarded up windows and vacant storefronts are a sad reminder of what was once an amazing, clean, vibrant and SAFE downtown area.  I worked downtown 8 years and loved it.  Sadly, the homeless camps, graffiti, vandalism, destruction and chaos have marred an otherwise wonderful place to be.  My hope is it gets back, but we need different city leadership - I'll save further political rants for another forum.

If you are an outdoors person, well.....this is the best place in the country to live.  From my driveway, I'm an hour and small change to the coast.  I'm also an hour and small change from Mt. Hood and smaller car trips take you to the Columbia River Gorge, Coastal Mountains, Willamette Valley Wine Country, white water rafting, fly fishing, paddle boarding, camping, hiking, biking, berry picking, zip-lining just to name a few.  When it was 115 degrees here, my family was sitting in the Kilchis River with temps in the low 80s just 70 minutes from my house in Beaverton.  You can escape the heat here - can't do that in too many places of this fine country.  Good luck escaping 115 in Texas.  

As far as where to live?  Well, I'm biased.  I'm all for fungster, hippy-dippy, cool sections of SE Portland or NE Portland or perhaps NW Portland - but to visit, not live.  That's a personal preference.  I like bigger streets with elbow room.  I like sidewalks for my kids.  I like having an HOA that prevents people from parking RVs or boats in their driveways or in front of their houses.  I like an HOA that holds homeowners accountable and won't let them put appliances in their yards or let weeds ruin curb appeal.  I don't want neighbors with chickens or goats or unicorns or dingos.  Rat and coyote problems are bad enough without Hipster Farmer Franny building a chicken coop behind my fence.  I don't like driving residential neighborhoods with my head on a swivel looking out for militant bikers who dare you to hit them.  I don't like tiny little streets with parked cars on both sides forcing you to play chicken with oncoming drivers or scared to death that a child or pet will dart out behind a car.  I like our neighborhood because all the homes were built in the mid 60s and the mature vegetation and trees offer shade in the summer.  It's also closed to thru traffic, so it feels safe, despite being a football field away from busy 217.  

And it also used to be that Beaverton was the boring, sterile suburb where people from Nike, Intel and Tek called home.  It was a land of chain restaurants situated in mundane strip malls with a bedtime of 9pm.  But a funny thing has happened - Beaverton is blowing up!  From my house with a walk of a mile or less, I have BG Food Cartel with 30 different food carts and a giant beer garden.  Downtown Beaverton has been completely overhauled and includes Ex Novo, Bigs Chicken, Syndicate Wine Bar, Decarli Italian and more.  Burmese food with robots that bring out your meal, Korean food, incredible Ramen and coming soon, my favorite brewery on the planet:  Breakside  There are dive bars, tap houses, an incredible bowling alley with great food and beer, all the cool fast food joints (Shake Shack opened less than a mile from my house this summer, son worked there, terrific burgers!) and of course, strp clubs.  You can (and I have) hit 2 pretty solid peeler joints by foot or via a $6 Uber ride.  You can Google Beaverton strip clubs for more.  

Anyhow, there you go.  Would have responded earlier but I got a time out for pointing out that a certain pillow salesmen was once a user of a variation of cocaine popular in the 1980s.  PM me with any further questions, happy to assist anytime.  

Happy to field any questions you might have.  Moved to the area in 1996 and have zero intentions of living anywhere else despite the grim pictures you might see on the news or hear in the PSF.  

Father of 5 who are either in or graduated from the Beaverton School District.  Very pleased, especially with the High School.  I bought my first home in 2001 - a little ranch burger in a great neighborhood nestled in the armpit of HWY 26 and 217.  I loved the neighborhood so much that I bought the house two doors down in 2015 when my wife was pregnant with twins.  Much larger house that needed a LOT of updating, but absolutely no regrets.  

Absent traffic, I am 9 minutes from downtown.  With traffic, no-telling and yes, traffic can be frustrating.  However, I am a mile's walk to the Beaverton Transit Center, so I can take the light rail downtown, to the airport and many points in between.  In fact, 95% of the time, I walk to the Transit Center, hop on a train for a 17 minute commute to Tualatin and walk 1.5 miles to my office from there.  Much better for my blood pressure than sitting on 217 in mind-numbing traffic.  

Yes, traffic is bad here.  It is NOTHING like Seattle or the Bay Area or LA or San Diego or pick a name of another city in the US.  It's just a small city which never planned on having this many people move here.  Plus, there's not a whole lot of room for building more roads unless you want to sacrifice some of the natural beauty this city has in droves.  Blessedly, we have options - bike lanes abound and I'd rank the public transportation here as excellent, clean and mostly safe (though you gotta look out and be aware in certain areas).  So for a guy that can go 4 days at home and 1 in the office, the aggravation you'd experience commuting by car would be minimal.  

I've never felt the need to avoid any areas though some might give me pause if I'm leaving a car unattended.  Having lived in Dallas and Jackson, MS and marrying a woman from Detroit, I laugh at anybody saying Portland has some sketchy neighborhoods.  Even the sketchy parts have houses where people take pride in their little kingdoms.  Plus, some of these areas might have hidden treasure of dining or drinking or stripping so no need to really be fearful.  There isn't an 8-Mile here.  

That said, downtown has been scarred recently.  Boarded up windows and vacant storefronts are a sad reminder of what was once an amazing, clean, vibrant and SAFE downtown area.  I worked downtown 8 years and loved it.  Sadly, the homeless camps, graffiti, vandalism, destruction and chaos have marred an otherwise wonderful place to be.  My hope is it gets back, but we need different city leadership - I'll save further political rants for another forum.

If you are an outdoors person, well.....this is the best place in the country to live.  From my driveway, I'm an hour and small change to the coast.  I'm also an hour and small change from Mt. Hood and smaller car trips take you to the Columbia River Gorge, Coastal Mountains, Willamette Valley Wine Country, white water rafting, fly fishing, paddle boarding, camping, hiking, biking, berry picking, zip-lining just to name a few.  When it was 115 degrees here, my family was sitting in the Kilchis River with temps in the low 80s just 70 minutes from my house in Beaverton.  You can escape the heat here - can't do that in too many places of this fine country.  Good luck escaping 115 in Texas.  

As far as where to live?  Well, I'm biased.  I'm all for fungster, hippy-dippy, cool sections of SE Portland or NE Portland or perhaps NW Portland - but to visit, not live.  That's a personal preference.  I like bigger streets with elbow room.  I like sidewalks for my kids.  I like having an HOA that prevents people from parking RVs or boats in their driveways or in front of their houses.  I like an HOA that holds homeowners accountable and won't let them put appliances in their yards or let weeds ruin curb appeal.  I don't want neighbors with chickens or goats or unicorns or dingos.  Rat and coyote problems are bad enough without Hipster Farmer Franny building a chicken coop behind my fence.  I don't like driving residential neighborhoods with my head on a swivel looking out for militant bikers who dare you to hit them.  I don't like tiny little streets with parked cars on both sides forcing you to play chicken with oncoming drivers or scared to death that a child or pet will dart out behind a car.  I like our neighborhood because all the homes were built in the mid 60s and the mature vegetation and trees offer shade in the summer.  It's also closed to thru traffic, so it feels safe, despite being a football field away from busy 217.  

And it also used to be that Beaverton was the boring, sterile suburb where people from Nike, Intel and Tek called home.  It was a land of chain restaurants situated in mundane strip malls with a bedtime of 9pm.  But a funny thing has happened - Beaverton is blowing up!  From my house with a walk of a mile or less, I have BG Food Cartel with 30 different food carts and a giant beer garden.  Downtown Beaverton has been completely overhauled and includes Ex Novo, Bigs Chicken, Syndicate Wine Bar, Decarli Italian and more.  Burmese food with robots that bring out your meal, Korean food, incredible Ramen and coming soon, my favorite brewery on the planet:  Breakside  There are dive bars, tap houses, an incredible bowling alley with great food and beer, all the cool fast food joints (Shake Shack opened less than a mile from my house this summer, son worked there, terrific burgers!) and of course, strp clubs.  You can (and I have) hit 2 pretty solid peeler joints by foot or via a $6 Uber ride.  You can Google Beaverton strip clubs for more.  

Anyhow, there you go.  Would have responded earlier but I got a time out for pointing out that a certain pillow salesmen was once a user of a variation of cocaine popular in the 1980s.  PM me with any further questions, happy to assist anytime.  

Thanks for this and thanks for the invitation to pm you

We are actually really looking at Beaverton.  Schools matter for us and you make it sound delightful!

Really appreciate your effort responding

One of my company’s offices is in Beaverton. Have a coworker that loves it out there. I have enjoyed Ex Novo as well.  :thumbup:

Thanks for this and thanks for the invitation to pm you

We are actually really looking at Beaverton.  Schools matter for us and you make it sound delightful!

Really appreciate your effort responding
I'll give you my contact info so you can reach me when I get another time out from here.

I grew up pretty close to you in the West Hills between Beaverton and Portland, but haven't been back to that part of the metro in a long, long time (parents moved to Sherwood a few years back).  Beaverton Mall, Wonderland $.05 arcade, and using my fake ID to check out ladies night at a long gone bar and grill on Cedar Hills Blvd were about all it had to offer back then.  Sounds like the sleepy little suburb has grown up and I should check it out again!

I grew up pretty close to you in the West Hills between Beaverton and Portland, but haven't been back to that part of the metro in a long, long time (parents moved to Sherwood a few years back).  Beaverton Mall, Wonderland $.05 arcade, and using my fake ID to check out ladies night at a long gone bar and grill on Cedar Hills Blvd were about all it had to offer back then.  Sounds like the sleepy little suburb has grown up and I should check it out again!

Ha!  Yeah, the Black Angus on Cedar Hills was about as hopping as it got.  Coach's Bar and Grill (still going strong!), Bleachers, Tilikum and Ichabod's were also in the mix if you wanted to second-hand smoke a pack of Marlboros, play some Keno and drink on the cheap.  Upscale dining included McCormicks and Schmidt's, Tony Roma's Ribs, Hall Street Grill....all gone now, but certainly not missed.  The options we have available to us now are enough to keep me out of downtown unless I'm really craving something like Ringside Steakhouse or some other legendary joint.  The thing is though, now that I'm older, I like convenience.  I don't want to stress to find parking, the wait times for trendy places downtown are ridiculous, I don't want to worry about leaving my car - all things that seemed easier when I was younger and downtown wasn't so messy.  But with Beaverton booming, this is terrific for an aging Malaise!

Breakside makes delicious beer.....I first had one of their IPA's years ago while staying at Imperial River Company (had it on tap) in Maupin.   It became of my go-to's from that moment on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha!  Yeah, the Black Angus on Cedar Hills was about as hopping as it got.  Coach's Bar and Grill (still going strong!), Bleachers, Tilikum and Ichabod's were also in the mix if you wanted to second-hand smoke a pack of Marlboros, play some Keno and drink on the cheap.  Upscale dining included McCormicks and Schmidt's, Tony Roma's Ribs, Hall Street Grill....all gone now, but certainly not missed.  The options we have available to us now are enough to keep me out of downtown unless I'm really craving something like Ringside Steakhouse or some other legendary joint.  The thing is though, now that I'm older, I like convenience.  I don't want to stress to find parking, the wait times for trendy places downtown are ridiculous, I don't want to worry about leaving my car - all things that seemed easier when I was younger and downtown wasn't so messy.  But with Beaverton booming, this is terrific for an aging Malaise!

It was a Black Angus!   I remember when Bleacher's first opened, I may have been served there underage and after hours on more than one occasion.  Dublin Pub was one of the few local places I ever went to once I actually turned 21, other than that I was typically down in NW at the Gypsy or over at the Lotus downtown when I came back to town.  The Pearl wasn't a thing yet, just a couple of microbreweries and a lots of warehouses, and you could sit next to a sportswriter in town covering the '92 NBA finals and enjoy some harmless visual stimuli at French's or Mary's.

Obviously that area has grown and changed so much, as evidenced by the 4-5 homes now sitting on the property I grew up on, as has the whole metro area.  I've often said if Portland was as cool back in '96 as it is now I probably never would have moved to San Francisco.  But I wanted to live in a real city in my 20s, and back then it just wasn't that.

Breakside makes delicious beer.....I first had one of their IPA's years ago while staying at Imperial River Company (had it on tap) in Maupin.   It became of my go-to's from that moment on.
Their Liquid Sunshine Pilsner (not sure if they still bottle those) were just the epitome of the perfect summertime beer.

It was a Black Angus!   I remember when Bleacher's first opened, I may have been served there underage and after hours on more than one occasion.  Dublin Pub was one of the few local places I ever went to once I actually turned 21, other than that I was typically down in NW at the Gypsy or over at the Lotus downtown when I came back to town.  The Pearl wasn't a thing yet, just a couple of microbreweries and a lots of warehouses, and you could sit next to a sportswriter in town covering the '92 NBA finals and enjoy some harmless visual stimuli at French's or Mary's.

Obviously that area has grown and changed so much, as evidenced by the 4-5 homes now sitting on the property I grew up on, as has the whole metro area.  I've often said if Portland was as cool back in '96 as it is now I probably never would have moved to San Francisco.  But I wanted to live in a real city in my 20s, and back then it just wasn't that.
Boy, did our ships cross paths, albeit in slightly different 90's years.  I went to the Lotus so much I was a VIP there and never had to pay cover.  That's where I met my first wife.  Gypsy with the retro Playboy pinball machine and giant punch bowl drinks - LOVED that spot!  And the boutique movie theater across the street?  Must have seen a dozen or more indie films there.  

Dublin Pub still going strong - saw the Crazy 8's there a handful of years ago and they rocked it hard.  

You wouldn't recognize the Pearl.  Nor many of the areas around it - there's a place called Slabtown now that was all warehouse/industry/trucking.   

Hell, even Hillsboro has some really cool spots and the Hops games are awesome.  

Ha!  This is me.  10 years ago this would have been a no brainer but now I'm a family man and most often than not asleep by 10pm at the latest.  I also like ease of access and I don't want everyone up in my grill constantly.  I don't want to live beside kids who spend all night smoking weed in the backyard (I used to do it so I'm no disparaging them in anyway).  Just want some peace and quiet with the easy ability to pretend i'm 30 again if i want too.

Sounds like beaverton may be for us.  

I was born in Eugene and spent most of my adult life in Portland. I got burnt out on it and recently moved. I can vouch it's a nice place and my entire family is still there. With that being said and the fact that you have children there are a couple other places I would recommend with in commuting distance. Beaverton, Wilsonville, Lake Oswego, Oregon City, Sherwood, and Camas WA in no particular order. If you have to commute into downtown for work choose the other relocation offer.

I was born in Eugene and spent most of my adult life in Portland. I got burnt out on it and recently moved. I can vouch it's a nice place and my entire family is still there. With that being said and the fact that you have children there are a couple other places I would recommend with in commuting distance. Beaverton, Wilsonville, Lake Oswego, Oregon City, Sherwood, and Camas WA in no particular order. If you have to commute into downtown for work choose the other relocation offer.

You folks that grow up in Oregon that think the city of Portland is untenable should really give downtown Detroit, Cleveland, Omaha, Amarillo or Jackson Miss a shot and report back. 

This is a fantastic city to live in compared to other cities in this nation. 

You folks that grow up in Oregon that think the city of Portland is untenable should really give downtown Detroit, Cleveland, Omaha, Amarillo or Jackson Miss a shot and report back. 

Oregon is mostly rural....so yes, for most of us who didn't grow in concrete jungles,  we don't know how relatively good we may have it.

Ive been to Cleveland and Omaha.  It wasn't so much the cities themselves that I disliked but the flat, featureless landscape......I  would never move to those places on purpose.  My policy is nothing east of the Rockies.......I wish we had a quota out here cuz I like my low population density😀

I am sure you're right in comparison.  The problem for most of us that grew up in Oregon, I think, is that we remember what Portland used to be.  So you're comparing it to places that are much worse, and we're comparing it to itself when it was much better.  And what it is now makes us sad.

My comment is in regards to the school system not the city.

Currently living close to Jackson...that place is wild.

Cleveland? How the heck did Cleveland get here. I've visited Cleveland a bunch of times. Cleveland was beautiful compared to Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford, CT, three #### cities in a rich state. Perhaps, as facook pointed out, the people of Oregon have had quite enough of Portland's excesses. My close collegiate buddy, who moved to Portland right away after college and went to Lewis and Clark law school in Oregon, thinks Portland is still great, but has also gone to #### in certain ways, too.

There's room for both, and politics would not cover his estimation of it (he's a Green Party guy who just hates meth heads breaking into his car and taking it for joyrides). No, I do not know where he specifically lives. All I get are bits and pieces of updates. Still digs Portland, says it is not the same city it was. He has several children and a long-time girlfriend (they're a couple and all the children are joint issue).

I know a couple that just moved there. They were immediately embroiled in the Antifa/Proud Boys fight last week. I'm wondering if certain people's politics on this board aren't covering their PR for the city. By almost all accounts of the locals besides those that run hot left, the city isn't the same.

Getting "aggressively panhandled" or living without police protection or a viable mayor and court system will sour some folk on living in an area with their families. Law and order is just that. Some people can depend on the safety net that is goodwill during the anarchic; others have little taste for it.

That's not to tell anybody how to feel about Portland. I've lived in two cities like Portland. Springfield, MA and Washington, DC during the second Marion Barry reign. There were police in certain areas, but certainly not in others, and in places where policing was sporadic or erratic, the cities took on a mean, playground bully vibe. I've been mugged on those streets. One mugging will change the way one feels about a city. The threat of mugging makes it more a cautionary tale than a place to enjoy a few good bohemian pops.

If that be politics, make the most of it.

I am sure you're right in comparison.  The problem for most of us that grew up in Oregon, I think, is that we remember what Portland used to be.  So you're comparing it to places that are much worse, and we're comparing it to itself when it was much better.  And what it is now makes us sad.
It's not any better in the bigger towns down I5 either......homeless, drugs, crime......it's pretty out of control.  I remember when seeing someone doing drugs out in the open was not so common.  I see it daily now......I see so many strung out people on the streets....it's sad.

I guess I'm assuming if it's that bad here, it's prolly worse in the places like SF, Detroit, etc..

I have to agree.  Only been here a year, and with the pandemic/protests/etc it was a really down year for Portland, and I love it.  I can only imagine once things get closer to normal.  

Well what are your options for a mid to large size city that you'd like to comp?  Seattle?  Hard pass for me.   Bay Area, which I love?  You can't live there.  San Diego, perhaps the greatest US city to relax in?  Can't afford that.  Austin?  Too hot.  Chicago?  Too cold.  New York?  Fogettaboutit.  

I can only think back to 1996 and agree that the downtown area has come under a major funk, but you don't HAVE to go downtown, you know.  Plus, downtown has also expanded majorly to include some really neat features - Slabtown, the Pearl, the renovated Timbers/Thorns stadium - which is fabulous and accessible by light rail - Zidell Yards where the concerts on the Willamette have migrated.  Take away the homeless crisis (which plagues EVERY west coast city) and the donkey brains that riot/protest/fight and the city is still pretty f'n cool.  

So when exactly do you pinpoint the halcyon days of downtown Portland to be?  I'm on year 26 here and I still don't envision living anywhere else, despite the problems that plague us.  I can't imagine Portland in the 80s was the picture of Utopia....I've seen the episodes of Cops that were filmed here.  

My comment is in regards to the school system not the city.

Currently living close to Jackson...that place is wild.

Beaverton school system is fine by us.  Oldest just got a near full-ride to UO with nothing but public schooling through BHS.  You're not really going to try and tell me the public school system in Mississippi is better. I lived there - I am prepared to do battle.  :boxing:

Cleveland? How the heck did Cleveland get here. I've visited Cleveland a bunch of times. Cleveland was beautiful compared to Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford, CT, three #### cities in a rich state.
I was just spinning a wheel and it got spit out.  Let us PLEASE not forget one of the biggest factors influencing my reasoning - WEATHER.  Dude, I hate, despise and abhor the bitter cold and while I do have Cleveland on a bucket list for the Rock and Roll HOF and partying in the Flats I won't be there in the winter time, sir.  Same for Detroit.  I really enjoy Michigan and have spent gobs of time on here saying nothing but nice platitudes about the state.....but not in the winter.   Having been there thrice in the throws of Michigan cold, I say 'nay' and have told my wife if she ever wanted to move back, it'll be without me; at least for 4 months out of the year.

Rare is the day Portland dips below 32.  Give me 40s, grey and light rain all day long.  I dig the gloom and do just enough self medicating to muddle through.

I was just spinning a wheel and it got spit out.  Let us PLEASE not forget one of the biggest factors influencing my reasoning - WEATHER.  Dude, I hate, despise and abhor the bitter cold and while I do have Cleveland on a bucket list for the Rock and Roll HOF and partying in the Flats I won't be there in the winter time, sir.  Same for Detroit.  I really enjoy Michigan and have spent gobs of time on here saying nothing but nice platitudes about the state.....but not in the winter.   Having been there thrice in the throws of Michigan cold, I say 'nay' and have told my wife if she ever wanted to move back, it'll be without me; at least for 4 months out of the year.

Rare is the day Portland dips below 32.  Give me 40s, grey and light rain all day long.  I dig the gloom and do just enough self medicating to muddle through.

Sure thing. Fair enough. Cleveland's rents are soooo cheap because nobody wants to live there, really. The city is indeed sort of dying and hoping for a steel belt renaissance, which isn't likely to happen. I feel bad for it. It's likely to have dying problems of boarded up businesses and buildings (and therefore, squatters and the like) and other issues that accompany dying cities.

By the way, my above musings about Portland should be taken with a grain of salt. They are purely secondhand. I was just wondering if those bullish on Portland might not be colored by an overall worldview.

I'm going to bow out and let the experts have their say, really. GM, you sound like you know the city really, really well. Kudos and best of luck there!

I've been here 5.5 years now and one of the things I've noticed that even during the rainy season, it doesn't rain all day. I'd bet 75% of the days during the rainy season see some spots of sun and nice weather. I can count on two hands the number of times I've played disc golf in shorts and a t-shirt in Jan/Feb. It's simply amazing.

Well what are your options for a mid to large size city that you'd like to comp?  Seattle?  Hard pass for me.   Bay Area, which I love?  You can't live there.  San Diego, perhaps the greatest US city to relax in?  Can't afford that.  Austin?  Too hot.  Chicago?  Too cold.  New York?  Fogettaboutit.  

I can only think back to 1996 and agree that the downtown area has come under a major funk, but you don't HAVE to go downtown, you know.  Plus, downtown has also expanded majorly to include some really neat features - Slabtown, the Pearl, the renovated Timbers/Thorns stadium - which is fabulous and accessible by light rail - Zidell Yards where the concerts on the Willamette have migrated.  Take away the homeless crisis (which plagues EVERY west coast city) and the donkey brains that riot/protest/fight and the city is still pretty f'n cool.  

So when exactly do you pinpoint the halcyon days of downtown Portland to be?  I'm on year 26 here and I still don't envision living anywhere else, despite the problems that plague us.  I can't imagine Portland in the 80s was the picture of Utopia....I've seen the episodes of Cops that were filmed here.  

Not sure I could compare it to another city in any reasonable way.  I'm glad you still love it, and wouldn't try to argue you out of that.  I'm just giving my perspective as one of the folks that grew up in Oregon you referenced above.

My wife and I lived there from 98-00.  We were glad to move back home, because we essentially realized we're not happy living in a city of that size.  However, we never felt unsafe there, walked all around downtown and other areas without fear, and enjoyed how beautiful the city was.  Even as recently as 2019 we spent a long weekend there with our son and had a great time.  Blazers games, Timbers games, Powell's, Shakespeare in the Park, Rose Festival, etc etc were always so much fun for us.  "Take away the homeless crisis (which plagues EVERY west coast city) and the donkey brains that riot/protest/fight and the city is still pretty f'n cool."  I'm glad you're able to view it that way.  I just can't, and until things change in any meaningful way have no desire to visit Portland again.  I'm not mad, and it's certainly not political.  It just makes me sad.

Beaverton school system is fine by us.  Oldest just got a near full-ride to UO with nothing but public schooling through BHS.  You're not really going to try and tell me the public school system in Mississippi is better. I lived there - I am prepared to do battle.  :boxing:
Lol...I can tell. OP is asking about Portland. I think if you have kids the surrounding towns have better options. I even listed Beaverton. I never mentioned MS schools, I believe they are ranked dead last in the nation. I did remark Jackson is wild.

I fell in love with SF and LA after visiting my daughters who moved to LA and SF in 2020. The weather is #1 for these west coast cities. Further south becomes dryer and warmer, but there aren't many days you're battling the weather anywhere. Number 2 is the beautiful nearby scenery. Local food production is good, restaurants are good. Great national parks nearby. Having good nearby public schools is major, in Miami we did public schools, but had to travel far to good magnet schools. Yes, homelessness is a major problem inside these west coast cities.

What about "culture" in Portland, like museums? Probably not a biggie for most people.

I fell in love with SF and LA after visiting my daughters who moved to LA and SF in 2020. The weather is #1 for these west coast cities. Further south becomes dryer and warmer, but there aren't many days you're battling the weather anywhere. Number 2 is the beautiful nearby scenery. Local food production is good, restaurants are good. Great national parks nearby. Having good nearby public schools is major, in Miami we did public schools, but had to travel far to good magnet schools. Yes, homelessness is a major problem inside these west coast cities.

What about "culture" in Portland, like museums? Probably not a biggie for most people.
The Japanese Garden is amazing imo. One of the best I’ve ever visited. 

OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science and Industry

Portland Art Museum

Oregon Historical Society

Hollywood Theatre

I prefer the Stumptown of the 1860s.  Nothing like staying in a boarding house then having a really nice guy buy drinks at the local tavern, only to end up being dragged through the underground Shanghai tunnels and waking up on a schooner on the way to the Far East.  Now that was Portland.

Sure thing. Fair enough. Cleveland's rents are soooo cheap because nobody wants to live there, really. The city is indeed sort of dying and hoping for a steel belt renaissance, which isn't likely to happen. I feel bad for it. It's likely to have dying problems of boarded up businesses and buildings (and therefore, squatters and the like) and other issues that accompany dying cities.

By the way, my above musings about Portland should be taken with a grain of salt. They are purely secondhand. I was just wondering if those bullish on Portland might not be colored by an overall worldview.

I'm going to bow out and let the experts have their say, really. GM, you sound like you know the city really, really well. Kudos and best of luck there!
All good!  Love it here, but do find the political theater of the city itself to be absurd.  Which is why I happily live in Washington County, which is Portland for grownups. ;)

Not sure I could compare it to another city in any reasonable way.  I'm glad you still love it, and wouldn't try to argue you out of that.  I'm just giving my perspective as one of the folks that grew up in Oregon you referenced above.

My wife and I lived there from 98-00.  We were glad to move back home, because we essentially realized we're not happy living in a city of that size.  However, we never felt unsafe there, walked all around downtown and other areas without fear, and enjoyed how beautiful the city was.  Even as recently as 2019 we spent a long weekend there with our son and had a great time.  Blazers games, Timbers games, Powell's, Shakespeare in the Park, Rose Festival, etc etc were always so much fun for us.  "Take away the homeless crisis (which plagues EVERY west coast city) and the donkey brains that riot/protest/fight and the city is still pretty f'n cool."  I'm glad you're able to view it that way.  I just can't, and until things change in any meaningful way have no desire to visit Portland again.  I'm not mad, and it's certainly not political.  It just makes me sad.
Yup, that's very very fair.  My Father-in-Law used to work for GM and had one of his call centers out here, so he's been coming to Portland for decades.  Just the drive from PDX to our house in Beaverton is a gut-punch.  The ramshackle camps festoon the sides of the highways and the natural beauty of the well manicured green spaces are now just urban blight.  It sucks.  

But I also don't have any answers as to what we do about it.  I wish it hadn't gotten this bad, but Seattle, LA, SFO, San Diego, you name it, it's a problem all up and down our coast.  I feel like outside of eradicating Covid, this should be our country's biggest priority.  And I think a lot of it ties our country's inability to provide adequate mental health and addiction recovery to our citizens in need.   But that's for another thread on a different forum. 

Lol...I can tell. OP is asking about Portland. I think if you have kids the surrounding towns have better options. I even listed Beaverton. I never mentioned MS schools, I believe they are ranked dead last in the nation. I did remark Jackson is wild.
The food in Jackson tho.....superlative! 

I prefer the Stumptown of the 1860s.  Nothing like staying in a boarding house then having a really nice guy buy drinks at the local tavern, only to end up being dragged through the underground Shanghai tunnels and waking up on a schooner on the way to the Far East.  Now that was Portland.
:lmao:

Yup, that's very very fair.  My Father-in-Law used to work for GM and had one of his call centers out here, so he's been coming to Portland for decades.  Just the drive from PDX to our house in Beaverton is a gut-punch.  The ramshackle camps festoon the sides of the highways and the natural beauty of the well manicured green spaces are now just urban blight.  It sucks.  

But I also don't have any answers as to what we do about it.  I wish it hadn't gotten this bad, but Seattle, LA, SFO, San Diego, you name it, it's a problem all up and down our coast.  I feel like outside of eradicating Covid, this should be our country's biggest priority.  And I think a lot of it ties our country's inability to provide adequate mental health and addiction recovery to our citizens in need.   But that's for another thread on a different forum. 

The gap in wealth here is not quite San Fran level of dystopian but it's getting close. By my anecdotal eye the homeless population has doubled since I got here...maybe more. At the same time, my 1,000 sq ft. house on the sleepy north side has appreciated by more than $100,000. It's not sustainable and there are no affordable places to live. Combine that with the lack in resources for mental health and drug rehab and we have a disaster on our hands.

The police keep raiding and shutting down these camps but there is nowhere to go, they just bounce around and the police will use overt force in many situations where instead of mental health counselor is all that was needed.

I don't have any good answers either, and I agree it is absolutely a crisis.  Pretty jarring the first time I saw the hills on either side of I-84 around the Lloyd District covered in tarps, tents, trash, and hopeless souls.

I don't have any good answers either, and I agree it is absolutely a crisis.  Pretty jarring the first time I saw the hills on either side of I-84 around the Lloyd District covered in tarps, tents, trash, and hopeless souls.

It's all over Eugene, Salem, pretty much every city in the Valley.  If a freeway offramp has a little triangle of grass, there's going to be a tent or three pitched on it.  But it's the whole West Coast (thanks temperate weather!).  Parts of San Francisco are overrun.  The Bay Area suburb of Novato I lived in for the last 6 years had a homeless encampment with a good 20 tents for the past couple of years a half mile from million dollar homes (which, I suppose, is just about all of them).  Last month Sausalito evicted 10-20 tents from a beach there.  

Hell Google maps now calls Washington Jefferson Park "Eugene 6th Avenue Encampment".

It's all over Eugene, Salem, pretty much every city in the Valley.  If a freeway offramp has a little triangle of grass, there's going to be a tent or three pitched on it.  But it's the whole West Coast (thanks temperate weather!).  Parts of San Francisco are overrun.  The Bay Area suburb of Novato I lived in for the last 6 years had a homeless encampment with a good 20 tents for the past couple of years a half mile from million dollar homes (which, I suppose, is just about all of them).  Last month Sausalito evicted 10-20 tents from a beach there.  

Hell Google maps now calls Washington Jefferson Park "Eugene 6th Avenue Encampment".

Happening here in Central Oregon as well.  Bend has entire streets lined with rv's/tents.  My town of Redmond is surrounded by sagebrush and juniper trees, and homeless camps abound in those areas.

Users who are viewing this thread