What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portland, Oregon (1 Viewer)

What about "culture" in Portland, like museums? Probably not a biggie for most people.

Well, if you're a history nerd, the Lewis & Clark Expedition is a fascinating story with tangible artifacts of their journey all over Oregon but generally speaking, I outsource my "culture" and relish the visits to museums in Chicago or San Francisco or even Detroit which houses one of the great museums of our country in the Henry Ford.  Hell, even Dallas and especially Fort Worth are better options for museum fans. 

But it's not lacking here, as pointed out by others.  If you're a fan of gardens in general, you can do far worse than Portland.  It's not the Rose City by accident.  I think my wife loves her roses more than me and I'm only mildly kidding. 

Just walked 1.5 miles to the bar to wait for my train home.  The 100 temps offset by walking mostly in the shade and now sucking down tall $5 IPAs.  Picked another bucket of the best tasting blackberries known to man this morning out behind my office.  Making smoothies for the kids and blackberry Brandy for me. 

Since this is about the homeless now: You honestly can't tell people just to up and die. We're not wired that way. There needs to be major public expenditures for affordable housing -- or legislation that allows for affordable housing if you want to take that political tack -- pronto out West. There's a distinct migration for anybody who can panhandle or scrimp for the cost of a bus ticket from the East Coast who is down and out and knows they will be for a while. This is survival weather for those without shelter.

How to provide it is so confusing, difficult, and fraught with problems. Meanwhile, tents seem to crop up everywhere, from downtown L.A. up through to Portland and Seattle.

It's brutal.

I'd say I'd get off my soapbox, but there really was none. Just a lament.

Since this is about the homeless now: You honestly can't tell people just to up and die. We're not wired that way. There needs to be major public expenditures for affordable housing -- or legislation that allows for affordable housing if you want to take that political tack -- pronto out West. There's a distinct migration for anybody who can panhandle or scrimp for the cost of a bus ticket from the East Coast who is down and out and knows they will be for a while. This is survival weather for those without shelter.

How to provide it is so confusing, difficult, and fraught with problems. Meanwhile, tents seem to crop up everywhere, from downtown L.A. up through to Portland and Seattle.

It's brutal.

I'd say I'd get off my soapbox, but there really was none. Just a lament.

Yeah, definitely not a soapbox spiel - I think we just might be in a spot to discuss this intelligently before it gets moved so why not? 

Would add that beyond survival weather we also have survival politics. There's not a Sheriff Joe or Billy Badasss mayor here to implement vagrant laws and toss these folks outta here.  

And we are way way way beyond the "HEY EVERYBODY IS HIRING NOW AT GREAT WAGES, GET YER BUTTS TO WORK YOU WORTHLESS BUM" answer to the problem at hand.  This just isn't a superficial wound at the moment that can be salved over and repaired; it's dug in like an Alabama tick or a tumor anchored into bone.  We (the Royal 'we') have let this fester so long that recovery is going to be a long, hard, complex problem.  

It's not in my sanitized suburb.....yet.  

Most people are homeless for a reason - and it's usually mental-health issues and drugs. Very often, both - i.e. they take drugs to deal with their mental-health issues. I don't know how to solve that. They used to get locked up and out of public view. So what do we do now? It feels like lefty libs (I'm one of them) want to be more compassionate and decriminalize a lot of things - which I agree with - but don't really have a plan. Until we as a country devote massive amounts of resources to the problem, it's not going to get any better. And I just don't see the will for that. 

In fact, I see the pendulum swinging back toward locking everyone up for everything again soon.

Most people are homeless for a reason - and it's usually mental-health issues and drugs. Very often, both - i.e. they take drugs to deal with their mental-health issues. I don't know how to solve that. They used to get locked up and out of public view. So what do we do now? It feels like lefty libs (I'm one of them) want to be more compassionate and decriminalize a lot of things - which I agree with - but don't really have a plan. Until we as a country devote massive amounts of resources to the problem, it's not going to get any better. And I just don't see the will for that. 

In fact, I see the pendulum swinging back toward locking everyone up for everything again soon.

Maybe in some places, but I really doubt that happens in WA/OR/CA any time soon.  I agree that mental health does seem to be the overriding factor.

Just two anecdotal pieces of evidence from my community:

A young man who is well known for his panhandling, and who sits at a very busy intersection in town to do so, is part of a large affluent family in our area.  Dad's a rancher, brothers who are all successful in business.  He's been offered rehab and a place to work and live on his dad's ranch.  He refuses, just wants to be "free."  One brother is a good friend of mine, and has told me several times they just can't get through to him.

Another older couple are as sweet and kind as anyone you'd ever meet.  They attended church with us for a few years, walking in off of BLM land.  We'd give them rides once in a while, but they never asked for money.  Eventually a family in the church offered them use of an RV on their property, use of the facilities, and food and clothing.  Only catch was one of them had to find work, or at least be working to find work.  The couple took them up on it but only lasted about a month.  Again, they just wanted to be "free."  So they are back out living on BLM land.

Maybe neither story is an example of being mentally ill, but from my vantage point it seems to be.  And I don't know how you help those folks if they don't want help that is literally free, other than the cost of being a productive member of society.  

Just walked 1.5 miles to the bar to wait for my train home.  The 100 temps offset by walking mostly in the shade and now sucking down tall $5 IPAs.  Picked another bucket of the best tasting blackberries known to man this morning out behind my office.  Making smoothies for the kids and blackberry Brandy for me. 
What part of Portland do you work in? This will explain a lot.

Another older couple are as sweet and kind as anyone you'd ever meet.  They attended church with us for a few years, walking in off of BLM land.  We'd give them rides once in a while, but they never asked for money.  Eventually a family in the church offered them use of an RV on their property, use of the facilities, and food and clothing.  Only catch was one of them had to find work, or at least be working to find work.  The couple took them up on it but only lasted about a month.  Again, they just wanted to be "free."  So they are back out living on BLM land.

We've officially derailed the thread now, but while we're here....

For some reason I see this as different than those living in public parks.  BLM lands are supposed to be there for free camping, although if I recall there are rules on how long you're supposed to stay in one spot. A few years back I took a 10 day road trip from the Bay Area to Flagstaff to the San Juan Mountains sleeping every night almost exclusively on BLM land, and it was glorious.  But how much crime is happening from that kind of homelessness?  I'd guess nowhere near what we experience in cities where tents are stacked on top of each other and every other car in the area has a window broken to steal an iphone charging cord someone might be able to sell for $2 (yes, had that happen to me in Eugene).

Now let's get back on track.  Vegan strip club or strip club owned by cattle ranchers?  Because PDX has both.

For some reason I see this as different than those living in public parks.  BLM lands are supposed to be there for free camping, although if I recall there are rules on how long you're supposed to stay in one spot. A few years back I took a 10 day road trip from the Bay Area to Flagstaff to the San Juan Mountains sleeping every night almost exclusively on BLM land, and it was glorious.  But how much crime is happening from that kind of homelessness?  I'd guess nowhere near what we experience in cities where tents are stacked on top of each other and every other car in the area has a window broken to steal an iphone charging cord someone might be able to sell for $2 (yes, had that happen to me in Eugene).

Now let's get back on track.  Vegan strip club or strip club owned by cattle ranchers?  Because PDX has both.

Acropolis (cattle ranch owned, $3 steaks, been there with at least 3 different FBGs) is now right next door to Casa Diablo II (vegan food, aggressive strippers, $2 bills only).  The two are at war and it's kinda comical.  

The original Casa Diablo is, uh, something.  :oldunsure:

Anyhow, there you go.  Would have responded earlier but I got a time out for pointing out that a certain pillow salesmen was once a user of a variation of cocaine popular in the 1980s.  PM me with any further questions, happy to assist anytime.  
IT WAS LITERALLY IN THE TITLE OF HIS OWN AUTOBIOGRAPHY!!!  :lol:

(Let's go no book titles for now...)

We have, but we are doing it peacefully and thoughtfully, I think.  The very same area of BLM those two returned to blew into flame 6-8 weeks ago, for whatever reason (campfire, I'm guessing) and caused evacuations of businesses and homes on the outskirts of town.  I don't THINK any inhabitants of the area perished, but either way it was a bad day in our area. 

It's one thing when one person camps there.  It's another when a town builds, cooks, and wastes there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, I can't offer much that GM didn't already hit out of the park.

If you're only going to be in the office one day a week, then you can pretty much pick your spot. If you've got the dough, try to get a house with some acreage that is just outside of the urban growth boundary. Your once-weekly commute will be over an hour, but the rest of the week will be paradise.

Westside suburbs tend to be newer, with higher household incomes and lower crime rates. Eastside is hit or miss (mostly miss).

Traffic is manageable as long as you aren't commuting all the way from the other side of a "bottleneck" area (such as Vancouver or Hillsboro).

[scooter] said:
Anyway, I can't offer much that GM didn't already hit out of the park.

If you're only going to be in the office one day a week, then you can pretty much pick your spot. If you've got the dough, try to get a house with some acreage that is just outside of the urban growth boundary. Your once-weekly commute will be over an hour, but the rest of the week will be paradise.

Westside suburbs tend to be newer, with higher household incomes and lower crime rates. Eastside is hit or miss (mostly miss).

Traffic is manageable as long as you aren't commuting all the way from the other side of a "bottleneck" area (such as Vancouver or Hillsboro).

This is actually my dream.  Just west of town, maybe around wine country without going too far into the valley.  Would love something with a view.

so the plus side of livin in portland is that it has a high general malaise factor or as i call him general malazer which sort of gives him an action hero zing but anyhow on the negative side is that like 76 percent of the population of portland is homeless and that figure rises about 10 percent a week by the end of the year even people who own houses will refuse to live in them it just is what it is and portland gonna portland but anyohow i think the high gmalazer factor wins out and you should move there and live under a bridge like everyone else take that to the bank bromigo

so the plus side of livin in portland is that it has a high general malaise factor or as i call him general malazer which sort of gives him an action hero zing but anyhow on the negative side is that like 76 percent of the population of portland is homeless and that figure rises about 10 percent a week by the end of the year even people who own houses will refuse to live in them it just is what it is and portland gonna portland but anyohow i think the high gmalazer factor wins out and you should move there and live under a bridge like everyone else take that to the bank bromigo
Always appreciate 'ya honorable Swcer!

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
This is actually my dream.  Just west of town, maybe around wine country without going too far into the valley.  Would love something with a view.

My family has a place in Pacific City and once I moved up here one of the first things I did was upgrade the internet service so I can work from there (I've been remote since 2008).  If this smoke/heat persists into next week in Eugene, I'll probably be out there doing just that.

My family has a place in Pacific City and once I moved up here one of the first things I did was upgrade the internet service so I can work from there (I've been remote since 2008).  If this smoke/heat persists into next week in Eugene, I'll probably be out there doing just that.
That's my favorite spot on the coast.  We spent a few nights there a month back - gorgeous home, up on the hill, incredible views.  

We need to be friends!!!

Love Pacific City

I love PC!  Good place to wear the kids out on the cape......last time we were over there a metal band called Full Metal Jackson was filming a video down by the caves, on the water.....they were all dressed like extras from Conan the Barbarian....lol

That's my favorite spot on the coast.  We spent a few nights there a month back - gorgeous home, up on the hill, incredible views.  

We need to be friends!!!

Love Pacific City

I love PC!  Good place to wear the kids out on the cape......last time we were over there a metal band called Full Metal Jackson was filming a video down by the caves, on the water.....they were all dressed like extras from Conan the Barbarian....lol

Wow, cool to hear it's so well liked!  We were there this weekend, and spent a couple of weeks there earlier this year while waiting for our house in Eugene to close.  Our place is actually in Tierra Del Mar, so just north of Cape Kiwanda.  Kiwanda up to Sand Lake is miles of pretty much empty, deserted beaches except on holiday weekends, when it's still pretty damned empty other than just off the road on the south end of the beach where people drive down onto the beach and park.  We've had a place there since the late 70s, I actually grew up commercial dory fishing there every summer.  So it's a bit of a different place than it was back then, but I still love it.  It was one of the big benefits of moving back to Oregon, being able to get out there several times a year instead of once every few years.

Wow, cool to hear it's so well liked!  We were there this weekend, and spent a couple of weeks there earlier this year while waiting for our house in Eugene to close.  Our place is actually in Tierra Del Mar, so just north of Cape Kiwanda.  Kiwanda up to Sand Lake is miles of pretty much empty, deserted beaches except on holiday weekends, when it's still pretty damned empty other than just off the road on the south end of the beach where people drive down onto the beach and park.  We've had a place there since the late 70s, I actually grew up commercial dory fishing there every summer.  So it's a bit of a different place than it was back then, but I still love it.  It was one of the big benefits of moving back to Oregon, being able to get out there several times a year instead of once every few years.
Are you guys that ones that put up the sign telling people "Your GPS is wrong! This isn't the turn! Turn around now!"? That sign kills me. And it's right, of course.

Nothing to add to the discussion except a small complaint.  Every time I scroll through the front page and see this thread, I get a Loretta Lynn/Jack White classic stuck in my head for the next several hours.

Portland, Oregon

Acropolis (cattle ranch owned, $3 steaks, been there with at least 3 different FBGs) is now right next door to Casa Diablo II (vegan food, aggressive strippers, $2 bills only).  The two are at war and it's kinda comical.  

The original Casa Diablo is, uh, something.  :oldunsure:
The Acropolis booted me touching the world's ugliest performer. Was in the place for probably 5 minutes. She bumped into me as she was staggering around, I even said sorry and she went bananas. 

My buddy comes back with two, what I presumed were very expensive drinks, to me getting walked out.

Any of you Portlanders know of any local fantasy football leagues with openings for this year? Missing the local one I was in back in California. 

Scoresman said:
Any of you Portlanders know of any local fantasy football leagues with openings for this year? Missing the local one I was in back in California. 
Don't know of anything local, but I stopped playing FF when I moved out here five years. Don't like playing on the west coast time. Behind on news, FA pickups and missed a bunch of last minute starting lineup changes due to early games.

We are in the Southeast near the Woodstock neighborhood. What’s funny is that we are literally surrounded by neighbors who have all recently transplanted to Portland. 

I will echo other people’s complaints about traffic and homeless but neither make me not want to live here. Maybe it’s because where I came from in the SF Bay Area, we had the same issues. 
You and I were neighbors not long ago. I lived in eastmoreland for 20 years. One of the fancy old Portland neighborhoods. I'm 54 and have lived in Portland most of my life.

I will never move back to Portland or Multnomah county again. We sold our house 2 months ago and moved to the country. I would highly recommend anyone that lives in Portland to move to a neighboring county.  The city has gone down several notches in the last couple decades.

It's dirty now, didn't use to be. It's full of homelessness and crime. Didn't use to be. There's graffiti and boarded up windows in places there never was before. And it's expensive.

So if you're moving to Portland, move to Beaverton or Hillsboro or west Linn or lake Oswego or Tigard or Oregon City or Happy valley, make sure you're in Clackamas county or Washington county.

You and I were neighbors not long ago. I lived in eastmoreland for 20 years. One of the fancy old Portland neighborhoods. I'm 54 and have lived in Portland most of my life.

I will never move back to Portland or Multnomah county again. We sold our house 2 months ago and moved to the country. I would highly recommend anyone that lives in Portland to move to a neighboring county.  The city has gone down several notches in the last couple decades.

It's dirty now, didn't use to be. It's full of homelessness and crime. Didn't use to be. There's graffiti and boarded up windows in places there never was before. And it's expensive.

So if you're moving to Portland, move to Beaverton or Hillsboro or west Linn or lake Oswego or Tigard or Oregon City or Happy valley, make sure you're in Clackamas county or Washington county.

Back in Wamic, huh?

Not a fan of all the boarded up windows and doors downtown.  Sucks.   

No.  Of course not. But again this is limited to specific blocks and not the entire downtown. If you dropped me off at Powell's and then I walked around that area for 30 minutes to Whole Foods, Crystal Ball Room and other places...you wouldn't bat an eye.

No.  Of course not. But again this is limited to specific blocks and not the entire downtown. If you dropped me off at Powell's and then I walked around that area for 30 minutes to Whole Foods, Crystal Ball Room and other places...you wouldn't bat an eye.

That's all well and good but I'm old enough to remember a time when you could walk the entire downtown area (well, maybe not NW 4th and Couch) and not bat an eye.  The last Lyft we took drove through an entire downtown block that looked like a hurricane hit it from Clay/Main to Burnside and that SUCKS!  The heart of downtown is not Powell to Crystal Ballroom - that's largely the Pearl and yes, it was left unscathed.  But the HEART of downtown got treated like a toilet and I don't see a path back anytime soon.  I had 8 glorious years at the Public Works Bldg on 6th between Salmon and Taylor.  I spent countless hours wandering those streets soaking in the sights, sounds, features, culture and history.  So clean, so safe, so much pride in storefronts and restaurants and bars and now?  Obliterated.  Bums me out, man.  I still love my city and will never leave, but I can't in good conscience recommend a person from out of town visit and lodge in downtown.  And that really sucks because I loved recommending downtown hotels and restaurants to visitors but I can't now.  Would you send your family flying in from the Midwest to stay at the Benson or Heathman?  I wouldn't.  Not now.  It's not a good representation of the city we used to be and that saddens me.  

That's all well and good but I'm old enough to remember a time when you could walk the entire downtown area (well, maybe not NW 4th and Couch) and not bat an eye.  The last Lyft we took drove through an entire downtown block that looked like a hurricane hit it from Clay/Main to Burnside and that SUCKS!  The heart of downtown is not Powell to Crystal Ballroom - that's largely the Pearl and yes, it was left unscathed.  But the HEART of downtown got treated like a toilet and I don't see a path back anytime soon.  I had 8 glorious years at the Public Works Bldg on 6th between Salmon and Taylor.  I spent countless hours wandering those streets soaking in the sights, sounds, features, culture and history.  So clean, so safe, so much pride in storefronts and restaurants and bars and now?  Obliterated.  Bums me out, man.  I still love my city and will never leave, but I can't in good conscience recommend a person from out of town visit and lodge in downtown.  And that really sucks because I loved recommending downtown hotels and restaurants to visitors but I can't now.  Would you send your family flying in from the Midwest to stay at the Benson or Heathman?  I wouldn't.  Not now.  It's not a good representation of the city we used to be and that saddens me.  

These are the emotions I was trying to express regarding Portland overall, and you've done it better than me.  Granted, you are focusing on one area, but that word: "saddens".  That's the word.

Just popping in to brag about the ridiculously good weather we get from time to time during the winter months. Yesterday and today will be in the 60s with 100% sunshine. Outside playing in shorts and a t shirt in February. It’s glorious.  

Aw Man. That's sad.

As you know when I last saw you, staying downtown it was one of my favorite cities in the country. It always hit me as a story like blending of big city with small town vibe. 

Just popping in to brag about the ridiculously good weather we get from time to time during the winter months. Yesterday and today will be in the 60s with 100% sunshine. Outside playing in shorts and a t shirt in February. It’s glorious.  

Now do today.....

;)

I drove to work today as we need a Costco run and weekdays before 4pm are best for my blood pressure there.  On the way out, I went into the garage and got my discs.  Thought I'd jam in a quick practice round before going to Costco.  That was before God opened up the heavens and told Noah to build his ark, apparently.  

Users who are viewing this thread