What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portugal/Spain trip next October - suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails said:
First time using Daytrip. Not cheap but other than via bus no good way to go from Lagos to Seville. Extremely comfortable Mercedes van door to door. Worth it. By the way - trains in both countries are fantastic. Taxis and Uber if needed. Only had 1 day in Seville but it is our favorite so far! Talk about a city that’s alive with a buzz. So much energy. Stayed in the Hotel Casa 1800 which is right in the thick of the action. Cathedral (unreal - 3rd largest in Europe) and the Royal Alcazar steps away. We got into the Cathedral but not the Alcazar. 

The streets with tapas bars seemed endless. Walked around for hours. Went to 2 great places for lunch and dinner. Plenty of beer, sangria and Spanish reds. But the highlight was the flamenco show we saw at Los Gallos. Absolutely amazing. Heard flamenco in Seville is the best in the world and it did not disappoint. Show finished at 11:30pm. We walked around for another hour and still many people on the streets and plazas. On a Sunday night. Next trip we’ll do at least 3 days here. 

On to Granada for 2 nights then wrapping up with 4 nights in Barcelona

Yeah, I made that Lagos to Seville bus trip a while back.  Not sure I'd do it as a grown man.   Loved Seville as well.  You definitely needed more time there.  Probably my favorite city in Spain.  San Sebastian is pretty awesome as well if you need a change from Barca.   Quick flight or a 5 hour train.   You can't lose either way.  Have a great time out there.  

Instinctive said:
When abroad, do you bring clubs or rent there?
We just brought golf shoes, glove, tees and 2 sleeve of balls. Rented clubs as we were only playing once on our trip. When I go to Hawaii or Cabo and playing multiple rounds I take my clubs. Also had app that gave us distance in yards vs meters. 

Alhambra was worth going to. Did a 4 hour private tour of the Alhambra. Massive, impressive and interesting history between the Muslims, Christians and Jewish people. Several miles of walking including the gardens.

While we loved Seville the paella we tried there was disappointing. We hit the motherlode for paella in Granada 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187441-d6500737-Reviews-Meson_Botafumeiro-Granada_Province_of_Granada_Andalucia.html?m=19905

Ask for it spicy and they bring out a smoked paprika mixture that is awesome. Fantastic!

On to Barcelona. Finishing big!

Well, we leave in less than a week and I'm concerned about the demonstrations in Barcelona. I saw that Sagrada Familia was closed today due to the turmoil. Crap. Instead of Madrid and Barcelona, may change plans to head south after Madrid. Thoughts?

A more mundane concern: I use a CPAP and I want to make sure I get an adapter that won't fry my machine. Can someone advise? Thanks. 

Well, we leave in less than a week and I'm concerned about the demonstrations in Barcelona. I saw that Sagrada Familia was closed today due to the turmoil. Crap. Instead of Madrid and Barcelona, may change plans to head south after Madrid. Thoughts?

A more mundane concern: I use a CPAP and I want to make sure I get an adapter that won't fry my machine. Can someone advise? Thanks. 
Sucks.  We made it out just in time.  It doesn't look good.  I was told that the strikes would be bad.   Transportation, etc.  If it were me I'd avoid it.  You can still head down to Seville, Granada, Cordoba or further south.  Hate for you to miss Barcelona though - such a cool city

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50098268

Barcelona was indeed cool, but I by far liked Granada, Cordoba, and Seville better. We also drove through the coastal cities of Malaga and Nerja and they seemed awesome.  Also, if you need a one day pivot from Barcelona, Girona is a wonderful city to spend a day/night in. 

Back from 4 days in Barcelona and 3 days in Madrid.

Barcelona - Stayed in the Passeig de Gracia area on hotel points, 3 nights at Hotel Indigo (liked it) and 1 night at Alexandra Barcelona (did not like it).  We really liked eating at El National, instead of a sit-down dinner we had drinks at the cocktail bar and then just ordered meat and cheese platters.  Great atmosphere and loved spending a few hours there just people watching.  Cool vibe and great photo spot.  The other restaurant we really enjoyed was Vivo Tapas, great tapas, and reasonably priced.  We splurged big-time for a meal at Disfrutar as well.  Had to book 3 months out and it was the most expensive meal I've ever bought, but still worth it considering it was 29 fabulous courses.  We also took a day trip out to Girona via high speed train and did a Game of Thrones tour.  The tour was so-so, but the town was neat to walk through with plenty to see.

Madrid - Our first time to Madrid and we loved it.  Stayed at Hyatt Centric right on Gran Via and it was an awesome location.  Madrid is super walkable so it was great for just wandering and exploring.  We did two tours through Devour Madrid (Tapas, Taverns, and History and Prado Museum & VIP Botin Lunch) and both tours were fabulous - highly recommended.  Also toured the Royal Palace.  We will certainly be back to explore Madrid some more in the future.  We also took a day trip to Toledo via high speed train and liked it as well.  Very beautiful ancient city.

Any feelings on whether to visit the Algarve or not? We have 8 days in Portugal, flying out of Lisbon. Two teens who like the beach, but damn, didn't realize that the water would not be warm. Just thought that since Spain and Portugal have warm weather that the water would be warm, too. Like Mediterranean warm, Whoops, Atlantic Ocean. Stupid.

We will be coming from 4 days in Basque, on the water. I'm not that interested in Porto. Do want access to water for a bit, but read that Algarve is so crowded and touristy.

Any feelings on whether to visit the Algarve or not? We have 8 days in Portugal, flying out of Lisbon. Two teens who like the beach, but damn, didn't realize that the water would not be warm. Just thought that since Spain and Portugal have warm weather that the water would be warm, too. Like Mediterranean warm, Whoops, Atlantic Ocean. Stupid.

We will be coming from 4 days in Basque, on the water. I'm not that interested in Porto. Do want access to water for a bit, but read that Algarve is so crowded and touristy.
The Algarve is one of my favorite spots in Europe, but for chillin' not sightseeing. The "end of the world" & Henry the Navigator museum is about it. More for a trekker or someone on sabbatical, before it got the Cabo treatment anyway...

When will you be there?

8 days in Portugal sounds like a lot if you dobt plan to hit Porto or Algarve. 

comfortably numb said:
When will you be there?

8 days in Portugal sounds like a lot if you dobt plan to hit Porto or Algarve. 
It is the end of our 3 week trip, mid-July. We had planned a trip to Azores, but Delta canceled all of their flights. We plan on 4 days in Lisbon, hitting Sintra one of those days. The other 4 days we thought of staying in a smaller town, really chilling out after a long trip. Beach is nice, small cafes, day trips to other sites. That is why the Algarve seemed great, maybe I am just being swayed by people who say it is overcrowded with drunken Brits.

ex-ghost said:

We spent 8 days in Portugal.  Spent 4 days in Lisbon, 2 in Sintra and 2 in Cascais.  Wish we had spent more time in Cascais it was a beautiful, laid back beach town.  

It is the end of our 3 week trip, mid-July. We had planned a trip to Azores, but Delta canceled all of their flights. We plan on 4 days in Lisbon, hitting Sintra one of those days. The other 4 days we thought of staying in a smaller town, really chilling out after a long trip. Beach is nice, small cafes, day trips to other sites. That is why the Algarve seemed great, maybe I am just being swayed by people who say it is overcrowded with drunken Brits.
July the water will be fine. I mean it wont be Caribbean warm but It will be plenty warm where every beach will be crowded.

Algarve is very nice. Your looking at 3 hours to get to the centerish area of Lagos. Then you can go east/west an hour each way.

Yes, it will be crowded. Brits, French Germans etc...

I wouldnt not go because of the drunks part. I never heard of that being an issue. August is much worse in terms of crowded.

So algarve is beautiful and I would recommend but yes, it draws a lot more tourists.

The hidden gems to lots of people are the beaches in the Alentejo region.  Put it this way, this is where the Portuguese go to vacation. 

If your point is to chill in less crowded, still beautiful beaches in nice small towns you can get this with the beaches in the Alentejo.

Imo you wont regret going to the algarve but altenjo beaches are very nice a bit better on the budget too.

Keep in mind there are beaches close to Lisbon that you dont have to travel far.

I would venture south just for the experience. 

Algarve or Alentejo. 

I am biased as we had a house in Vila Nova de Milfontes in the Alentejo and yes we would make day trips to see some of the spots in the algarve and have stayed there a few times but my only issue with the big algarve spots is they remind me of America a bit. A bit too built up for me. The beaches in Alentejo still have a Portuguese charm and feel to them.

If you need more info just ask.

Sounds like a great trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
July the water will be fine. I mean it wont be Caribbean warm but It will be plenty warm where every beach will be crowded.

Algarve is very nice. Your looking at 3 hours to get to the centerish area of Lagos. Then you can go east/west an hour each way.

Yes, it will be crowded. Brits, French Germans etc...

I wouldnt not go because of the drunks part. I never heard of that being an issue. August is much worse in terms of crowded.

So algarve is beautiful and I would recommend but yes, it draws a lot more tourists.

The hidden gems to lots of people are the beaches in the Alentejo region.  Put it this way, this is where the Portuguese go to vacation. 

If your point is to chill in less crowded, still beautiful beaches in nice small towns you can get this with the beaches in the Alentejo.

Imo you wont regret going to the algarve but altenjo beaches are very nice a bit better on the budget too.

Keep in mind there are beaches close to Lisbon that you dont have to travel far.

I would venture south just for the experience. 

Algarve or Alentejo. 

I am biased as we had a house in Vila Nova de Milfontes in the Alentejo and yes we would make day trips to see some of the spots in the algarve and have stayed there a few times but my only issue with the big algarve spots is they remind me of America a bit. A bit too built up for me. The beaches in Alentejo still have a Portuguese charm and feel to them.

If you need more info just ask.

Sounds like a great trip!
Thank you, great information.

Just went to Lagos last month. Really liked the Algarve but we were in shoulder season vs tourist summer season. If you’re in Lisbon and not going to Porto then Algarve is the logical choice. I can’t see needing 8 days in Lisbon  even with Sintra day trips 

Don't miss Cervajaria Ramiro and Sr Lisboa in Lisbon. Trust me on this 

Just went to Lagos last month. Really liked the Algarve but we were in shoulder season vs tourist summer season. If you’re in Lisbon and not going to Porto then Algarve is the logical choice. I can’t see needing 8 days in Lisbon  even with Sintra day trips 

Don't miss Cervajaria Ramiro and Sr Lisboa in Lisbon. Trust me on this 
Tell me more.

On the restaurants? #1 and #2 on Yelp for Lisbon and spot on. Check the reviews (I reviewed both) and pictures  Don’t let the wait at Ramiro turn you away 
Love it. How chic are they? Pretty normal family, but do love the great meal every once in a while.

Love it. How chic are they? Pretty normal family, but do love the great meal every once in a while.
Not at all.  Do not miss Ramiro. Plan for a wait.  No reservations. They have tap beer on the wall for $2 euro. Shark play is getting there solo and then have family Uber there closer to estimated seating. You have beer and people watch. They don’t complain about waiting. Win-win. The tiger prawns etc are life changing. 

Sr Lisboa is newer and smaller. Not pretentious and casual but they aim high on execution.  Great grilled octopus but wide variety to please everyone. Need reservations.  If you eat at these 2 restaurants you’ll have done very well!

FYI  if you go to Sintra there is a local joint you can take an uber too. Looks like a dump from the outside but walk in and you are in a room filled with locals. Awesome grilled chicken, fries and tomato salad. That the whole menu. Soft drinks, beer and sangria. Highly recommend over the tourist traps in Sintra

https://www.somosumregalo.pt/

Not at all.  Just do not miss Ramiro. Plan for a wait.  No reservations. They have tap beer on the wall for $2 euro. Shark play is getting there solo and then have family Uber there closer to estimates seating. You have beer and people watch. They don’t complain about waiting. Win-win. The tiger prawns etc are life changing. 

Sr Lisboa is newer and smaller. Not pretentious and casual but they aim high on execution.  Need reservations.  If you eat at these 2 restaurants you’ll have done well. 

@Judge Smails

We are putting together a Spain trip this summer, which includes putting our kid in the Barcelona soccer camp, so that's the locked-in part of our itinerary. We are seasoned world travelers and have lived abroad in Europe a few times, but have never been to Spain. Would really appreciate people's thoughts on our first draft of an itinerary. Very excited. Will be there during Eurocup too. That's always a great vibe in Europe. There will be lots of soccer watching.

Four travelers. Me, wife, daughter (13) and son (11; soccer player). No Spanish speakers.

June 3 – Depart San Francisco
June 4 – Arrive Bilbao
June 7 – Depart Bilbao, Arrive San Sebastian (short train ride)
Jun 10 – Depart San Sebastian, Arrive Madrid (5 hour high speed train)
June 14 – Depart Madrid, Arrive Barcelona (2.5 hour high speed train)
June 15 – Barca Camp Starts
June 17 – 19 – Short overnighter for mom, dad, daughter? Costa Brava?
June 24 – Barca Camp Ends
June 26 – Depart Barcelona, Arrive San Francisco

Welcome all thoughts, including must-dos. Thanks everyone!

June 17 – 19 – Short overnighter for mom, dad, daughter? Costa Brava?
I would consider Tossa de Mar for this. Neat town right on the beach with an old city built on the cliffs overlooking the sea. Just a beautiful place.

Figueres is another option. Has the Dali house/museum and the Catalan toy museum if either interest you. Would be about a 25 minute drive to the beach though.

You'll be in Barcelona long enough to hit all the must see stuff. All the Gaudi things are great (Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Casa Batilo, and La Pedrera) as is La Rambla.
A couple of slightly less visited places I would make sure to fit in are the Catalan National Art Museum and Bascilla of Santa Maria Del Mar. The former has a really interesting collection (I personally love the frescos transferred from churches during the Spanish Civil War) and the latter is just a really nice example of the gothic style. I find the Barcelona Cathedral and Picasso Museum both a bit overrated.

I know one can get get a bit burnt out on churches when visiting Europe, but the Sagrada Famila is seriously a marvel. Nothing like it and it will be different when you go back in the future.

It's been a bit longer since I've been to Madrid, but all the typical stuff there is fantastic. The Palace is interesting and the art museums are phenomonal. I could spend the entire day in the Prado. Make sure to hit up Chocolatería San Ginés.

Have not been to Basque Country myself so cannot help you there. Lots of fun stuff in Andalucia, but you probably can't fit that in.

:2cents:

Similar to Desert Power, I haven’t visited Basque Country. That’s next for us in a few years. I’ve been to Barcelona by itself and then again on the Portugal/Spain trip. Loved Barcelona. Sagrada is an absolute must and I loved all things Gaudi. Food was unreal. Spent a lot of time researching best options and it was incredible.

We came from the Algarve in Portugal up to the southern part of Spain. Sevilla (loved loved loved - wish we spent more time there) Granada etc up to Barcelona.

Users who are viewing this thread