What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post-season Drafts - who's doing one? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
I have a local league of 14 who do a post-season draft.

12-14 man roster (depending on how many participants) with an "anything goes" roster. I came in 2nd last season picking 9th, so draft position doesn't matter that much - though it's really nice to have an early pick to take a QB.

Anyone doing one? What's the format?

Never done it (only ever played dynasty). What exactly do you mean by "anything goes"? Do you still set a lineup or does your whole roster play?

We have been doing one for about 35 years. There are 14 teams and you draft a starting lineup. Then it's set it and forget it. Most points for the entire playoffs wins. We usually draft the Friday before the Wild Card weekend.

We have been doing one for about 35 years. There are 14 teams and you draft a starting lineup. Then it's set it and forget it. Most points for the entire playoffs wins. We usually draft the Friday before the Wild Card weekend.
Mine is pretty much the same format. Basically it usually comes down to whoever hoards the most players from the two SB teams.

Mine is pretty much the same format. Basically it usually comes down to whoever hoards the most players from the two SB teams.
Yep. Putting eggs in a basket is the best way to finish first. If you spread around your teams too much usually you will finish in the middle but that does you no good. So Usually I have a few teams I am trying to go eggs with and then the draft dictates which team I end of with. It's not a way to be in the middle as you are usually going to dominate or finish last. But that seems to be the best way to win.

When it was only 12 teams there was some debate to go with a WC round team because if they make it to the Conference Finals they get the same number of games as a bye team going to the Super Bowl so you could do well that way. Now with only 1 team getting a bye it really puts that team at a disadvantage because the chances are at least two wild card round teams will get the same number of games by just going to the conference finals. I liked it much better with 12 teams.

There is also a fairly significant QB strategy as you can wait to be the last which means your last pick will likely score decently so if you can hit on your first few rounds of the guys that hoard the TD's you gain an advantage. I typically go this route and it has served me well. But our scoring doesn't overly favor QB's. Our kickers scoring is also really good (a 50+yd FG + a TD) so the kicker on the super bowl teams is usually one of the highest scoring overall players there are. Last year McPherson's team ran away with it and the rest of his team wasn't the greatest. It was basically a two team race with McPherson vs Gabe Davis.

Yeah we used to do one where you had to fill your roster with one player from each team. how many days they got to play was definitely a factor, it was pretty fun.

I have been in one for years. Currently with 8 owners (may push to 9)and we start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D and one Flex (any position). Our scoring is a little different in that all players get 6 for tds 0-39, 7 for 40-49 and 8 for 50+ yard tds. With this format, QBs rule. I landed the first pick and am leaning Allen in hopes he gets 3-4 games. When it returns to me at 2.8 or 2.9, probably will reach on buffalo players or SF/Eagles players. As someone mentioned, load up on 2-4 teams you think will be in the SB.

Two of my leagues offer this every year. 7-teams per playoff league (mostly so each team gets 2 QBs on their roster). I think our rosters are something like 2 QBS, 2 RBs, 2 WRS, 2 TE, 4 Flex, 2 K, 2 Def. Gives us more interest in all the games during the playoffs.

Actually wondering why this site doesn't have up the full playoff rankings yet as I have a draft tonight. Hopefully they'll pop up this morning.

Two of my leagues offer this every year. 7-teams per playoff league (mostly so each team gets 2 QBs on their roster). I think our rosters are something like 2 QBS, 2 RBs, 2 WRS, 2 TE, 4 Flex, 2 K, 2 Def. Gives us more interest in all the games during the playoffs.

Actually wondering why this site doesn't have up the full playoff rankings yet as I have a draft tonight. Hopefully they'll pop up this morning.
A few are up now.

I'm in a couple. Usually 4-6 teams.

Format is fun. It's just cumulative points for the playoffs and the winner is the team with the most after the Super Bowl (one league does double points for the super bowl).

For drafting, we usually limit it to 2 QBs, 6 RB/WR, 2 TE, 2 K , 2 DT with two additional "flex rounds". The catch is that you must fill the initial lineup requirements in the first 14 rounds before the "free for all" last two rounds. So, there's significant strategy in tracking where other drafters are at. For example, QBs go quickly so last night I was able to wait until the 14th round to draft my second QB - even though it's the most targeted position - because there was no sense in drafting one sooner.

It's usually midweek. I was a bit bummed because I had a draft last night but I get it.

We have a lot of entries, $20 per team, you can enter 3 different teams. You fill out a starting roster and then you add ALL the Playoff games up and usually we have a single winner at the end.
QB-2RB, 3WR, TE, Def, K, maybe we have a flex as well.

You want players that are likely to have multiple starts. Wildcard is tough to navigate because so many are 1 and done.

Last edited:
I just joined a Guillotine league. We draft tonight or Friday (not sure yet)

Draft a starting lineup of 9 players.

Lowest scoring team is eliminated, and the remaining teams can use FAAB to add drop their players.

Should be interesting.

I just joined a Guillotine league. We draft tonight or Friday (not sure yet)

Draft a starting lineup of 9 players.

Lowest scoring team is eliminated, and the remaining teams can use FAAB to add drop their players.

Should be interesting.
Is it 5 teams, then?

8, I think.
10 teams.

And turns out 2 teams eliminated each week.

It’s 4 mandatory positions + 4 flex.

Should be interesting. We draft tonight.

Last edited:
I was in a league a few years ago where the playoffs for the league went into the playoffs. So basically the top 8 teams made the playoffs. You kept anybody off your roster from the regular season that was on an NFL playoff team and then we had a draft before the first NFL playoff game to fill out a starting lineup of the remaining available players. You could drop players to pick up new ones if you wanted to. The draft continued until every team was full. Once your team was full for the week you were done (couldn't get back in the draft). After the first week two teams were eliminted (bottom two scorers) and then you had another draft to fill out for the players you lost. The 1st place team in the regular season got the first pick every round for the first draft. The highest scoring team from the first NFL weekend got first pick every round for the next draft. After divisional round two more teams dropped. After the conference two more dropped. That left two teams for the Super Bowl comprised only of Super Bowl players.

It was a unique format I had never done before. It was quite interesting with a ton of strategy each week on who and how to fill out your roster.

Never done it (only ever played dynasty). What exactly do you mean by "anything goes"? Do you still set a lineup or does your whole roster play?
Whole roster plays. You can draft 8 K & 3 D/ST.
Ohhh so when you said "anything goes" what you actually meant to say was "anything goes". Now I understand. Little more clear next time? 😅 But seriously ... that does sound interesting. Can definitely see how stacking on a team or two could pay off.

We do a simple "pick 3 players from each position" game. No restrictions on players/team or anything. No multipliers.

I finished first last year even after predicting a GB/KC Superbowl and having only 1 Ram and 1 Bengal. The key is to just have a bunch of guys who play at least two games, so stick with favorites. Also identifying Tennessee last year as an early upset and avoiding them helped. I don't see either top seed as a potential early round upset this year, so this year seems tougher. Have 4 guys each from SF/PHI/KC and 5 from BUF.

It's a small pool, only 12 teams so rolling with crazy Superbowl predictions doesnt pay off like in a larger pool.

PosPlayer
QBMahomes
QBAllen
QBHurts
RBMcCaffrey
RBMixon
RBMcKinnon
WRDiggs
WRBrown
WRChase
TEKelce
TEKnox
TEKittle
FlexD Smith
FlexSanders
FlexLamb
KBass
KGould
KSuccop
D49ers
DBills
DBucs

I landed the 1.05 in the guillotine - slow draft.

Missed CMC by 1 picks. Ended up taking Mahomes. Having some ragrets about the 0.00 he’s gonna give me round 1.

Hoping I can land some round performers with picks 2-3.
:oldunsure:

I’ll track my team here so you may all heckle and harass me over my drafting malpractice.

1.05 - Mahomes - 0.00 week 1 😬
2.06 - Aiyuk - with a 0 to start, I pretty much have to take a bunch of starters from round 1 to advance.
3.05 - Tom Brady - shocked he was here this late.
4.06 - McKinnon - got that 2nd round stack if I can make it past round 1.
5.05 - Dallas Gogurt - just realized it is start one tight end minimum. Now I have to draft a second tight end who will play in the first round. I’m hoping Evan Engram makes it back to me that’s something I never expected to have to type and I hate myself for it. I could leave it blank, but then I’m down 1 position for round 1, and I’m already missing 3. :doh:
6.06 - Zay Jones
7.05 - KJO
8.06 - Mattison
9.05 - Maher
10.06 - Josh Kelley
11.05 - dicker the kicker
12.06 - Likely

Last edited:
I had pick 8 in a 14 team playoff draft last night. 9 round draft with QB/K/RB/RB/FLex (RB/TE)/3 Flex (WR/TE)/Flex (RB/WR/TE)

Scoring;
  • 3 pts passing TD
  • 1 pt 50 yds passing (starting at 150 yds = 3 pts)
  • 1 pt 20 yds rushing/receiving (starting at 40 yds = 2 pts for WR/RB)
  • 1 pt 10 yds receiving (starting at 20 yds = 2 pts for TE)
  • FG = 1 pt per 10 yd up to 40 yds then every 5 yds (50 yd FG = 6 pts) ---- Kickers can score really well
  • -1 pt for turnover

1.08: Chase
2.07: Herbert (8 QB's already gone and he was the last of the QB's I was willing to be stuck with)
3.08: Mitchell
4.07: Gould
5.07: Tyreek (by far the best player left)
6.08: KJ Osborne
7.07: Justin Watson
8.08: Mason
9.07: Parham

Usually stacks win this thing but there aren't really any stacks of consequence this year. Everybody got spread out so while a team of this makeup usually would have no chance to win I think there is some hope if things break right. I really need a big game out of Tyreek in week 1 before he gets eliminated and Chase needs to have three 100 yd/1 or 2 TD games. I also need Herbert to have two good games hopefully mixing in a TD or two to Parham along the way

Using Second Season and Fantasy Postseason. Different formats. In SS, you pick one player from each team, the other, you pick whoever you want. Total points accumulated throughout on both, no eliminations. I'm struggling to finish the pick whoever you want one, as you really need to nail the teams that will play the most games.

The Bengals should play 2-4
The Bills should play 2-4
The Chiefs should play 2-3

The 49ers should play 2-4
The Eagles should play 2-3

Everyone else I see as not playing more than two. You pretty much need to nail who wins the Bengals/Bills.

Would be interested in hearing everyone's top 4 teams, but I assume it will be some variation of Chiefs/Bills/Bengals/Eagles/Niners

Drafted this 12-team FFA roster last night. Local league - we usually draft in person over pizza/beer, but did it online due to the commish going to AZ for son's event.

We added 3 IDP this year for a fun twist.

Love my chances here:
• Mahomes
• Fournette
• Kelley
• M.Evans
• Theilen
• Higgins
• Aiyuk
• Toney
• Palmer
• Gano
• G.Joseph
• D Hunter
• Poyer
• Von Bell

Love my chances if MIN, CIN & SD advance

Last edited:
8 teams set and forget starters. 1QB, 1Rb, 1WR, 1TE, 2 Flex (WR,RB,TE), 1K, 1D and 1 flex any position. I picked from the 1 spot and landed:

J Allen
Etienne
Aiyuk
Goedert (Knox was available but wanted a piece of Philly)
T Boyd
Juju
Bass
Jags
Purdy

My focus was build around Buff, KC, SF and PHI. Didnt get uber studs on anything but got representation and picked up Etienne and Jags D at the end (last person to grab a D). With Williams out, maybe those two will get two games.

Last edited:
8 teams set and forget starters. 1QB, 1Rb, 1WR, 1TE, 2 Flex (WR,RB,TE), 1K, 1D and 1 flex any position. I picked from the 1 spot and landed:

J Allen
Etienne
Aiyuk
T Boyd
Juju
Bass
Jags
Purdy

My focus was build around Buff, KC, SF and PHI. Didnt get uber studs on anything but got representation and picked up Etienne and Jags D at the end (last person to grab a D). With Williams out, maybe those two will get two games.
Ok much better
:lol:

J Allen
Etienne
Aiyuk
T Boyd
Juju
Bass
Jags
Purdy

Ok much better
:lol:
LOL My bad.. hit the enter key a little too quickly.

For Fantasy Postseason team (pick whoever you want, cumulative points)

QB Mahomes
QB Allen
QB Burrow

RB CMC
RB McKinnon
RB Mixon
RB Singletary
RB Cook

WR Diggs
WR Chase
WR Higgins
WR Aiyuk
WR Samuel

TE Kittle
TE Goedert
TE Kelce

FLEX Pacheco

K Bass
K Gould
K Butker

D SF
D BUF
D CIN

I'm essentially banking on SF/BUF or CIN in the Super Bowl. I'd like to have two QBs in the Super Bowl, but I'm not sold on Hurts being healthy yet, and Purdy's gonna go 2TD throughout.

Thoughts, modifications?

Last edited:
We do one every year. Straight draft 8 teams. Random draw for draft order. Pretty typical scoring system. Need a QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF and one RB/WR flex.

Also do the NFL Survivor one which NFL.com manages which is pretty fun.

We do it every year. This year we have 9 for our draft (tomorrow), but have had up to 12. We also add in a "dummy hand" team. 14 round draft (random order with serpentine) and must have a minimum of 1Q, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D. Then fill remaining 5 spots any way you wish. It is a total points contest with all players on the roster scored through the Super Bowl. Every player can be drafted twice, but not by the same team. So, for example, 2 different teams can have Josh Allen on their roster. The "dummy hand" is a team cobbled together with undrafted players after the regular draft is over. If anyone is outscored by the dummy hand, they owe a additional fee to the prize pool. Doesn't happen too often, but it is an added element of fun/embarrassment when it does. We use what once was labeled as the World Championship of Fantasy Football (WCOFF) scoring system...not sure this event even exists anymore, but it was offered at one time as a pre-packaged scoring option on My Fantasy League. I see it is no longer an option, but when we renew the league each year it just gets copied as custom scoring system now. It is pretty much just a typical PPR format.

QB Mahomes
QB Allen
QB Burrow

RB CMC
RB McKinnon
RB Mixon
RB Singletary
RB Cook

WR Diggs
WR Chase
WR Higgins
WR Aiyuk
WR Samuel

TE Kittle
TE Goedert
TE Kelce

FLEX Pacheco

K Bass
K Gould
K Butker

D SF
D BUF
D CIN

I'm essentially banking on SF/BUF or CIN in the Super Bowl. I'd like to have two QBs in the Super Bowl, but I'm not sold on Hurts being healthy yet, and Purdy's gonna go 2TD throughout.

Thoughts, modifications?
How did you get that many studs? Or is this one of those post-season contests where you can have anyone from any team?

This topic was more about post-season leagues. Guillotine leagues, FFA snake drafts, elimination leagues, etc.

As it stands, I can't really evaluate that team as I don't know the scoring system or how many teams you're competing with.

We do it every year. This year we have 9 for our draft (tomorrow), but have had up to 12. We also add in a "dummy hand" team. 14 round draft (random order with serpentine) and must have a minimum of 1Q, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D. Then fill remaining 5 spots any way you wish. It is a total points contest with all players on the roster scored through the Super Bowl. Every player can be drafted twice, but not by the same team. So, for example, 2 different teams can have Josh Allen on their roster. The "dummy hand" is a team cobbled together with undrafted players after the regular draft is over. If anyone is outscored by the dummy hand, they owe a additional fee to the prize pool. Doesn't happen too often, but it is an added element of fun/embarrassment when it does. We use what once was labeled as the World Championship of Fantasy Football (WCOFF) scoring system...not sure this event even exists anymore, but it was offered at one time as a pre-packaged scoring option on My Fantasy League. I see it is no longer an option, but when we renew the league each year it just gets copied as custom scoring system now. It is pretty much just a typical PPR format.
I like the addition of the dummy team. That's cool - so during the draft how does the dummy team get drafted? BPA? or is it an online draft, so it autodrafts the dummy?

QB Mahomes
QB Allen
QB Burrow

RB CMC
RB McKinnon
RB Mixon
RB Singletary
RB Cook

WR Diggs
WR Chase
WR Higgins
WR Aiyuk
WR Samuel

TE Kittle
TE Goedert
TE Kelce

FLEX Pacheco

K Bass
K Gould
K Butker

D SF
D BUF
D CIN

Thoughts, modifications?
How did you get that many studs? Or is this one of those post-season contests where you can have anyone from any team?

This topic was more about post-season leagues. Guillotine leagues, FFA snake drafts, elimination leagues, etc.

As it stands, I can't really evaluate that team as I don't know the scoring system or how many teams you're competing with.

No draft. You just fill in the spots. Most points at the end wins. Scoring is straight forward 1/2ppr, but it’s less about how to make the scoring system work and more about a combo of picking the right teams first (the ones that play the most games) as well as the right players.

Example - I don’t have Gabe Davis in there, so even if I believe that the Bills go to the Super Bowl, if he goes off I’m at a disadvantage at that position compared to the team that put him in. In contrast, if someone picks the Vikings to go all the way and they do, even a modest but consistent outing from JJ would pay dividends.

I just designed this to take advantage of the teams I thought would play the most games, then picked those teams’ studs.

I could still get beat by a team that is more evenly distributed, who knows. One would have to believe that picking the 2 QBs that play in the Super Bowl is the best advantage…but in this case I think having the AFC power houses play will offset Purdy’s overall production.

I like the addition of the dummy team. That's cool - so during the draft how does the dummy team get drafted? BPA? or is it an online draft, so it autodrafts the dummy?
I was just talking to some in the league today about actually having the dummy hand draft in a spot with the software auto pick, but that hasn't been what we have done historically. We fill the dummy roster after the regular draft has taken place. This is why it is a rare occurrence for someone to lose to it. It would much more frequently if we gave it a draft spot. We just the dummy roster with the best possible players that remain undrafted. We sit around for a few minutes after the draft and discuss who the next best options are. It usually starts with names of players that were drafted by only one team in the regular draft. At least someone thought those players were draft worthy. We do try to give it some "eggs in basket" combinations of players if possible, so the roster typically ends up with players from teams no one expects to go far. They may also get a few deeper reaches from "good teams".

In addition to the draft league I described earlier, I am also in a post season league where we just fill a roster each week, no draft...sort of like playing DFS. Anyone can use any player, but you can only use a player once throughout the playoffs. Total points after Super Bowl wins.

I was just talking to some in the league today about actually having the dummy hand draft in a spot with the software auto pick, but that hasn't been what we have done historically. We fill the dummy roster after the regular draft has taken place. This is why it is a rare occurrence for someone to lose to it. It would much more frequently if we gave it a draft spot. We just the dummy roster with the best possible players that remain undrafted. We sit around for a few minutes after the draft and discuss who the next best options are. It usually starts with names of players that were drafted by only one team in the regular draft. At least someone thought those players were draft worthy. We do try to give it some "eggs in basket" combinations of players if possible, so the roster typically ends up with players from teams no one expects to go far. They may also get a few deeper reaches from "good teams".
In that format if someone loses to the dummy team they should owe the pot $50

lol

In addition to the draft league I described earlier, I am also in a post season league where we just fill a roster each week, no draft...sort of like playing DFS. Anyone can use any player, but you can only use a player once throughout the playoffs. Total points after Super Bowl wins.
This is also an interesting format.

Users who are viewing this thread