What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post your leagues' best special rules (1 Viewer)

This year we implemented a new one - if anyone drafted Aaron Hernandez all the other owners had to take a shot. Couldn't be in the final round.

I always thought it would be cool to have players get a "rested" bonus if they weren't in your starting lineup the previous week... like 20% maybe.

Also I think you should be able to elect team captains... either at beginning of the season or every week.

Or maybe your highest scorer gets a 'gameball' good for a 10% bonus the next week.

I've toyed with an idea for a "just for fun/wacky/no money involved" league: after every head to head matchup, the losing team gets to choose any player they want off the winning team's roster. On paper, it sounds like you'd end up with a bunch of .500 teams, but I'm curious to see how big a factor smart waiver wire hawking would work in this format. A stacked team wouldn't remain stacked for long..
actually would be a really good idea.. and probably a lot of fun.

I like what Bill Simmons does in his league: there are 11 owners, but only 10 teams. Every year, one owner is kicked out -- as per the vote of the entire league on draft night.

So, you could spend all summer prepping for the season and show up on draft night ready to go......only to get sent home 20 minutes later. It's so sadistic and cutthroat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like what Bill Simmons does in his league: there are 13 owners, but only 12 teams. Every year, one owner is kicked out -- as per the vote of the entire league on draft night.

So, you could spend all summer prepping for the season and show up on draft night ready to go......only to get sent home 20 minutes later. It's so sadistic and cutthroat.
What are the criteria to cut someone out? Has he been kicked out?

I like what Bill Simmons does in his league: there are 11 owners, but only 10 teams. Every year, one owner is kicked out -- as per the vote of the entire league on draft night.

How are there "13 teams"? You get a new owner every year, or does the guy voted out come back? Is the new guy immune from the boot or can the league bring him into the draft room and show him the door and laugh at him on the way out?

I think it's just a majority vote. The league champ might get immunity but I think everyone else is fair game. I'm not sure if Simmons has ever been kicked out but Cousin Sal was kicked out for the first time this year and he did not take it well.

I've toyed with an idea for a "just for fun/wacky/no money involved" league: after every head to head matchup, the losing team gets to choose any player they want off the winning team's roster. On paper, it sounds like you'd end up with a bunch of .500 teams, but I'm curious to see how big a factor smart waiver wire hawking would work in this format. A stacked team wouldn't remain stacked for long..
There's a league at LarryBoys that has been doing this for over 10 years now. 16 team league, H2H with a week 16 final play week, total points wins. There's 3 or 4 other leagues doing something similar.

that derby draft sounds interesting.. I wonder at what pick people start taking later round picks
It's actually awesome, and wouldn't go 1 to 12.

In my 3rd round reversal league, it does even out having an early pick, and later picks become more attractive. In that league, the picks chosen in order this year were:

2, 12, 9, 8, 1, 5, 7, 6, 11, 3, 4, 10. So it's pretty all over the map and everyone afterwards liked their position.

In my regular non third round reversal it went a bit more traditional. It went 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 8, 9, 5, 12, 6, 7, 11

For the superbowl team get to pick if they want to start their player week 17 or the first round of the playoffs. So if I have Peyton Manning I don't have to play him week 17 where he will probably rest I get to play him in the first round of the playoffs. If I have a player who isn't going to the playoffs I have to play him week 17 and if his team is a playoff team then I can decide which matchup is better for my player.

I think it's just a majority vote. The league champ might get immunity but I think everyone else is fair game. I'm not sure if Simmons has ever been kicked out but Cousin Sal was kicked out for the first time this year and he did not take it well.
John Hamm got kicked out a few years ago. Pretty funny.

A team that starts a player on his bye week automatically loses all tie-breakers (including waiver claims, play-off seeding, etc.)

This encourages teams to field full line-ups every week (we have short rosters, so this forces some tough calls). A strategy of tanking one week with all your players on a bye now has consequences.

PPR, IDP league with relatively equal scoring. No bench.

Teams constantly play the waiver wire with the plethora of match up players available week to week unless you get studs. Often cannot afford to have bye players or injured players staying on your roster. Alternatively, if you're confident you can 'risk' holding onto a player through their bye (Last week I was comfortably ahead after my opponent had a ####e TNF outing, so I held onto Gonzalez through his bye unscathed).

Most years, the winning roster has none of their original drafted roster. Offensively this year I lucked out and got Charles relatively cheap in round 3 (Due to IDP value being quite extensive compared to a normal IDP league).

We only start 1 rb and 1 Wr with 3 flex rb/Wr makes for more versatility on draft day Ppr all tds under 40 yds 6pts all Tds over 40 yds 9 PTS

Not anything weird or even special, but not very common - my favorite league has very limited rosters and is a best ball format. I love the fact that we don't have to stress over whom to start every week and with limited rosters there are always quality FA's available. Redraft

2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 Ds, 2 Ks

I guess there are a few "special" rules too. All TDs over 50 yds are worth double pts (for the TD only, not yds). Example, Larry Fitzgerald's 75 yd TD last week - 5 pts for the 75 yds (1 pt per 15 rec yds) plus 12 pts for the double TD. Also, it's PPR but you don't start accumulating pts until your player gets 3 receptions. So, 3 receptions would be 1 pt, 4 receptions would be 2 pts, etc. Passing pts don't get accumulated for QBs until they reach 100 yds, and then 1 pt per 25 yds after that, so 275 yds passing would be 8 pts. (you get 1 pt for reaching the 100 yds)

1 pt per 25 yds passing, 1 pt per 10 yds rushing, 1 pt per 15 yds receiving

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you (like me) who dislike straight H2H but don't really love All-Play either, an interesting hybrid idea is "doubleheaders" - each team plays two other teams every week (so comes out of each week with 2 W's, 2 L's, or 1 of each). It reduces week-to-week variance while keeping the spirit of H2H competition mostly intact; it also allows for 9- and 15-team leagues (the former to me being the perfect size for a 2-QB league), though I prefer it even for 12-teamers.

Every league I've ever run has utilized home-field advantage for the playoffs - set at the greater of 5 points or the difference in average weekly scoring between the two teams. But I like the regular-season "formation" idea for HFA from upthread so much that I think I'm going to try that in the next league I start-up.

John Hamm got kicked out a few years ago. Pretty funny.
Here is Hamm talking about getting kicked out of the league, plus footage of another guy getting booted the following year

Here is the podcast where Cousin Sal talks about getting kicked out this year

To answer the previous question: I think the guy who gets kicked out is automatically invited to re-join the league the following season (replacing the next guy who gets kicked out).

Users who are viewing this thread