What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post your questions for this week's IDP podcast (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
We'll be covering the major stories, most notably the impact of the injuries to Paul Posluszny and Lance Briggs, but since so many of you are listening we thought we'd try a more interactive show this week.

We won't have time to get to every question and we'd like to keep the podcast to a general news and notes format (i.e. no specific advice requests). We're interested in discussing the players who have you (and us) the most vexed and confused after the first weeks of the season.

We'll take as many questions from this thread as we can.

:whoosh:

I am most interested in the Leon Williams situation. Will he be a 3 down LB this year or are the Browns committed to Davis?

:goodposting:

I would also be interested in a discussion on some tier 2 and 3 CB's that are being fantasy productive. In a tackle heavy league - CB's are getting as many if not more pts than safeties. Also having one league that seperates the positions I would like to hear some more about CB's.

I realize that injuries might make this question moot, but I'd love to hear your take on who will emerge as Washington's main playmaker. Will it be Lord London Baker-Fletcher or Sir Roger "Rocky" McIntosh?

I would like to know which NE linebacker(s) have the most value going forward?

It seems like it is a differnt guy each week...Vrabel week 1, Colvin week 2, Thomas week 3.

Will any step up to be a difference maker on a regular basis?

I am most interested in the Leon Williams situation. Will he be a 3 down LB this year or are the Browns committed to Davis?
I would like to know which NE linebacker(s) have the most value going forward?It seems like it is a differnt guy each week...Vrabel week 1, Colvin week 2, Thomas week 3.Will any step up to be a difference maker on a regular basis?
:lmao: Also:How does Nate Webster continue to put up solid numbers, is it something we can expect to continue & therefore make him a good fill in for upcoming bye weeks.Are Kiwi's numbers this week an aberration or is he beginning to pick up the position & making the most of it?What's the deal with Kennoy Kennedy? :bs:

The Green Bay Packers running back situation. With Morency still hurting and now Wynn out with some sort of sprain - where does Ryan Grant work in - or does he?

The Green Bay Packers running back situation. With Morency still hurting and now Wynn out with some sort of sprain - where does Ryan Grant work in - or does he?
We will not be dealing with the lesser side of the line of scrimmage. Offense-shmoffense. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Please delv into Julius Peppers. I was hoping for a big year with Jenkins back. To not even register a tackle against Atl. just makes me sick. If somone told me Harrington would have dropped back 40+ times and Peppers wouldn't register one sack I would have :lol: in their face. :thumbdown:

I'll 3rd Peppers as well.

Can you break down Sean Jones, DB for CLE? He's had 3 good weeks in a row and I haven't heard much about him. Is he a every week starter like Ad. Wilson? Is he being thrown to a lot which would result in the high tackle #s?

Also being a Denver homer, everyone here is crazy for Elvis. Is he a good start this week against IND?

Jared Allen busted out of the gates like a caged beast. Any reason to believe he won't be a stud DL the rest of the season?

Two for you

TB LB's....will Rudd keep this up

and

Bal LBs...what happened to Bart Scott, and whats the story with Jarret Johnson?

Forget my first question. Here's the real one:

Where are the big plays from our "big play" safeties (Hope, Wilson, Polamulu, Rhodes, etc.?) Have their roles changed or has the game changed or both or neither?

I've got a doozy if you'd like to get specific. Who has the best potential for a big game this week? Shaun Ellis vs. the Bills (rookie T. Edwards), Alex Brown vs. the DET sack dispenser, Kalimba Edward/Corey Smith vs. CHI. I'm interested to hear who would have the fastest path to the QB. I think Ellis could potentially beat Langston Walker like a drum. Is Anthony Weaver a possibility vs. ATL and Joey Ballgame?

PartyTyme said:
Forget my first question. Here's the real one:Where are the big plays from our "big play" safeties (Hope, Wilson, Polamulu, Rhodes, etc.?) Have their roles changed or has the game changed or both or neither?
:unsure: But how about the pre-season top DLs and LBs as well? J. Taylor, A Kampman, D Burgess, A Schobel, L Little and T Suggs at the defensive lineman position along with A Pierce, D Ryans, R Lewis and S Merriman at the linebacker position have all under-performed so far this season. Do you see this changing over the coming weeks as the "cream rises to the top" or are these players being passed by players over-acheiving their pre-season ADP or VBD position?

The KC safeties: Is Bernard Pollard not playing in the box, explaining his low tackle numbers, or its it too soon to panic? Love some insight on their sceme.

massraider said:
The KC safeties: Is Bernard Pollard not playing in the box, explaining his low tackle numbers, or its it too soon to panic? Love some insight on their sceme.
I third this! Also is Harper playing full time safety for NO's - with the defense being on the field all the time he isn't get a whole lot of tackles??

A lot of leagues now include KR/PR statistics for IDP's. Can you give us a breakdown of the top 10 IDP's that are also part of the return game for their teams?

Noonan

The NY J-E-T-S LB's are a tough read. Same with Cleveland and Cincy. Any insight on whom to target moving forward?

Noonan

I would like to know why these players are underperforming expectations

Will Smith, Aaron Kampman, Cory Redding (tackle required)

AJ Hawk

K Rhodes, Pollard, R Harper, B Pool.

Thanks

Too many good questions to squeeze into our 25 minute podcast. It's only fair that we take a stand on some of the others. :boxing:

The contract they gave Davis in 2005 (extended through 2010) suggests they are, but his on-field performance has been spotty and the fact that they've taken him out of the nickel package is potentially telling. Leon Williams hasn't been quite as impressive as he was late in 2006, though. There's no question Williams is an every down backer when/if he pushes Davis from the lineup. If the Browns continue to play poorly, the Browns coaching staff may want an extended look or push some buttons to keep their job. With Eric Wright already rumored to be benched, that may already be happening.
:X I would also be interested in a discussion on some tier 2 and 3 CB's that are being fantasy productive. In a tackle heavy league - CB's are getting as many if not more pts than safeties. Also having one league that seperates the positions I would like to hear some more about CB's.
David Barrett is being picked on relentlessly as Darrelle Revis is already establishing himself as a very good cover corner. All three Steeler corners are playing well right now. And it's worth watching Usama Young if he gets the call to replace the injured Jason David and Daven Holly if replaces an ineffective Eric Wright. Watch Travis Daniels in Miami as well. He's being moved to safety and could be an interesting play as a CB if he picks up a decent number of snaps.
I realize that injuries might make this question moot, but I'd love to hear your take on who will emerge as Washington's main playmaker. Will it be Lord London Baker-Fletcher or Sir Roger "Rocky" McIntosh?
This came up in the pinned scheme thread last night, but I may have underestimated the number of snaps Gregg Williams is calling Tampa-2 coverage. That may provide both Fletcher and McIntosh with some interesting coverage opportunity. Until McIntosh proves he can stay healthy (as you hinted), I think Fletcher is the favorite given his track record.
How does Nate Webster continue to put up solid numbers, is it something we can expect to continue & therefore make him a good fill in for upcoming bye weeks.Are Kiwi's numbers this week an aberration or is he beginning to pick up the position & making the most of it?What's the deal with Kennoy Kennedy? :no:
Those FBG staff that watch the Denver situation closest are suggesting that the Williams/Webster situation may not be as set in stone as first suggested. Webster is worth watching very closely and it might be time to stash him in deep leagues if you've got a spot to burn. If the Broncos offense begins to click, Webster's current production is likely to fall back to traditional SLB territory.Kiwanuka is playing better than has been reported. There's no reason he can't join the Thomas Davis/Marcus Washington/Michael Boley group of worthwhile SLBs as he grows into the position.Kenoy Kennedy, who's always been very erratic in coverage, has been tackling very poorly and apparently rotating with Idrees Bashir. He's tough to hold in shallow leagues at this point.

Is Ed Reed wasting space on dynasty rosters everywhere?
This is who Ed Reed is. The Raven defensive scheme is designed to allow him to roam the deep middle and gamble to make big plays. He's hardly ever going to get big tackle opportunity. If you're in a big play league and can handle the more frequent killer weeks than great ones, he's an every week starter. If not, let someone else fuss over his inconsistency.
Will Omar Gaither get going this year and put up numbers comparable to those of Jeremiah Trotter's last year?
Probably not anytime soon as I don't like very many of his matchups through the rest of the first half. I realize I'm still in the minority, but I think Gaither has been playing well in the middle regardless of his gamebook stats. It would be nice if he'd finish a few more plays in coverage and pass rush to make the weeks where he's stuck playing nickel easier to take.
Can you break down Sean Jones, DB for CLE? He's had 3 good weeks in a row and I haven't heard much about him. Is he a every week starter like Ad. Wilson? Is he being thrown to a lot which would result in the high tackle #s?Also being a Denver homer, everyone here is crazy for Elvis. Is he a good start this week against IND?
Jones is absolutely an every week starter. He's unlikely to fill up the boxscore with bunches of tackles, but has a big play role and will continue to benefit from a relatively large amount of opportunity and a weak front seven. Elvis is quickly becoming an every week starter in big play leagues. He's too risky against a QB like Manning in tackle heavy leagues. Tony Ugoh is a great matchup but Manning gets rid of the ball too quickly to trust that Dumervil can cash in.
Jared Allen busted out of the gates like a caged beast. Any reason to believe he won't be a stud DL the rest of the season?
Nope. :rolleyes:That's Jared Allen. He'll be inconsistent as a pass rusher, but his statlines are always buoyed by his no-quit run support play.

Sig touched on this, but I think there are two issues here. First, it's worth remembering that Herm Edwards used a lot of Cover-2 and interchangeable safety play in New York with Kerry Rhodes and Erik Coleman. He was doing the same thing during the preseason, with neither player getting consistent in-the-box snaps. The other issue is that the KC linebacker unit, as Sig mentioned, is playing lights-out. They aren't necessarily getting off the field quickly, but they're sweeping up everything before it gets to the third level in both run support and coverage. An injury to that group could do wonders for one or both safeties. It's not looking good for either guy right now though.
[Also is Harper playing full time safety for NO's - with the defense being on the field all the time he isn't get a whole lot of tackles??
The Saints defense has actually faced the third fewest offensive snaps this year (though an above average number of rush attempts) and Harper is on pace for 80 solo tackles. He'll be fine, and still has some big play upside if the team can keep games a little closer.
The Minnesota DE's, how things are shakin out, and what to expect.
It looks like Edwards and Udeze have close to every down roles and are both playing well. Robison is rotating in on passing downs and bumping Udeze inside. Erasmus James was a healthy inactive last week and is falling off the radar altogether.
Just how good is the beast that is Marlin Jackson?
Very good. We've been pimping him as the next most likely Charles Tillman (physical tackler with very good zone ball skills) and just waiting for him to get an every down role. Many of us have had him off and on our rosters since he entered the league. It's not a fluke. Excellent chance at a top ten finish this year.
A lot of leagues now include KR/PR statistics for IDP's. Can you give us a breakdown of the top 10 IDP's that are also part of the return game for their teams?

Noonan
I have to admit that there's enough on my plate that this is pretty far down my priority list, although I recognize it's a big issue for many of you. If you're a subscriber, Mike Herman's Returnerguys column runs on Wednesdays and follows the PR/KR situation for every team. If not, Bob Henry's depth charts are regularly updated and designate KR and PR. Looking at Herman's Week 4 column, it appears that Ed Reed, Terrence McGee, Danieal Manning, Charles Woodson and Ellis Hobbs are the only returners who see significant time in the base defense for their respective teams right now.
The NY J-E-T-S LB's are a tough read. Same with Cleveland and Cincy. Any insight on whom to target moving forward?

Noonan
Dynasty leaguers should probably have David Harris, Ahmad Brooks and Leon Williams on the radar and hope for the best, while keeping a slot warm for Vilma. Redraft leaguers should probably avoid all three situations, but Landon Johnson, Jonathan Vilma and D'Qwell Jackson are the best bets to lead their groups in tackles.
I would like to know why these players are underperforming expectations

Aaron Kampman, Cory Redding (tackle required)

AJ Hawk

B Pool.

Thanks
Kampman is fine. He's projecting to his usual 50 plus tackles and providing more pass rush than the single sack would suggest. Remember, though, that Kampman is not a speed rusher and the 15 sacks will be his career high. He's a guy you should expect 50-8 seasons from in an average year.I've yet to see a Lions game this year, so I don't have a considered opinion on Redding. Pretty concerning, though it may be that teams are focusing on him and making the ends beat them. He's also faced two decent interior lines in PHI and MIN over the past two weeks.

AJ Hawk is really struggling to get off blocks and a healthy Nick Barnett is doing what I thought he'd do last year. We were discussing these guys off-air last night too. Sig thinks Hawk looks lost -- and I agree. We are all wondering if the breakthrough (and comeback) Bates MLB of 2007 is going to be Nick Barnett rather than DJ Williams.

Brodney Pool is a mess right now. Could be because he's not played much safety as a pro, could be because he's a better man player than zone. Regardless, he'd have little IDP value in standard situations if he were playing well. The system and role aren't conducive to tackles or big plays.

As always, invaluable stuff on these boards. Thanks for the podcast and all the comments, Jene and everyone else.

What are some buy low IDP candidates for us Dynasty guys.

Guys who are currently under performing after 3 weeks and could be acquired below their actual value.

Defense as a whole or maybe a few from each LBs / DB's / DL

Maybe you could do a quarterly piece like this

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for dynasty owners, who are the sneaky up and coming (not well known or highly touted) guys? For instance, James Butler NYG S, Atari Bigby, GB S...who has stepped into starting roles and could be tomorrows mainstay while putting up good numbers.

also looking for more info on M.Okwo and J.Williams CHI LB's fighting for Briggs job in 08. (Is Williams the favorite only because Okwo is on IR right now for 08?) CLE homer and wasnt able to catch the week 4 CHI game but Jamar's stats looked nice filling in for Briggs..more of a dynasty question as Id have to move Dansby to make room for him next year if he is indeed slated to grab the job.

also looking for more info on M.Okwo and J.Williams CHI LB's fighting for Briggs job in 08. (Is Williams the favorite only because Okwo is on IR right now for 08?) CLE homer and wasnt able to catch the week 4 CHI game but Jamar's stats looked nice filling in for Briggs..more of a dynasty question as Id have to move Dansby to make room for him next year if he is indeed slated to grab the job.
Bloom discussed this on the podcast. It appears to be Williams' job to lose, but you're correct in that it a healthy Okwo is going to generate more of a competition than is currently suggested. I don't know that either is a clear Briggs mirror in the boxscore, though. The Cowboys were racking up rushing attempts in the second half when Williams was playing.

Users who are viewing this thread