What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Potential QB-WR combo about to happen that could be Top 5 this season (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I've been banging the drum for this to happen. I see a potential superstar QB-WR combo that hasn't been set in stone yet, but believe me, you'll see it this season. Lamar Jackson has given the Ravens a deadline of Week 1 for the regular season to restructure his contract. Odell Beckham Jr. has yet to sign with a team. Does everyone see where I'm going with this? If the Ravens want to have a decent chance of making the playoffs, all they have is to set this combo up this season. I mean, they no longer have Marquise Brown, so it only makes sense for them to sign OBJ. I know he's coming back from the injury in the Super Bowl, but the Rams don't need to re-sign him because they signed Allen Robinson. Does anyone else besides me see this potential superstar QB-WR combo happening this season?

I guess I could see it, but what I'm hearing is they're going back to Lamar-ball. IE, run, run, run, pass to the TE's.
They tried to make him a passing QB and it didn't work.

My .02

I do agree that Lamar Jackson will be top-5, maybe #1 overall even, but upon last news, Beckham might not be full speed until mid-November, and he's no longer that caliber of player before the injury.

Not for nothing, but the Ravens are almost certainly a playoff team regardless of what they do at WR. They were fighting for the #1 seed when Jackson went down last year, and that was with an unbelievable number of injuries to the OL, DBs, and RBs. They've improved at all of those spots, in addition to the healthy return of those injured. In my opinion, the Ravens are the AFC's best team after Buffalo.

I definitely see where you are going, but OBJ is on my Do Not Draft list.
The only "great season" he had, was his rookie season, and he was even injured to start THAT one.
He has been an injured head case ever since.
I remember all that money he spent on a mouth full of gold teeth, what several hookers "accused him of", the bat swinging during the Giants pre game years back...... it goes on. He can do whatever he wants with his money, but so can I, and I won't be ponying any up to roster him anywhere.
He is just a headache I don't want at this point.
Now that aside, I'm targeting Rashod Bateman virtually everywhere as my WR3. (Our leagues are START 3 WRs) I'm loving it everywhere at his price, and I've been thinking about a Bateman/Jackson stack if possible somewhere.
I like your thought train with that scenario, I'm just completely out (and have been for years) on OBJ.

:football:

Even if OBJ returns to 100%, it's hard to imagine him getting a lot of targets with Andrews and Bateman already there in what is likely going to be a not overly pass-happy offense.

Yogi, when you get a crazy idea, do me a favor. Keep it contained in its own thread like this. You've posted now in five threads about this. This is a very unlikely scenario, yet I will admit possible. It's sort of your own conjecture and nothing else, and we don't need to read it in five threads.

Even if OBJ returns to 100%, it's hard to imagine him getting a lot of targets with Andrews and Bateman already there in what is likely going to be a not overly pass-happy offense.
I don't see OBJ's body holding up under the volume of work required to generate this kind of production - even if that volume was there.

It's a bummer that OBJ got hurt in the SB because he had been getting better and looked to be returning to the special player he was to start his career.

Maybe he can do that again But being relevant this season is a huge stretch.

Bateman is the Ravens WR to target.

The only "great season" he had, was his rookie season, and he was even injured to start THAT one.
You are misremembering.

You might be right. Looking back he did have a couple 1k yardage seasons sprinkled in.
Injury issues are one thing, being a diva or head case is something else. But everything combined , he's pretty much off my fantasy radar.
I believe he has "started" roughly 8 games per season the last 5 years.
I can, and do accept injuries to my RBs every year. But in my leagues, our stud WRs are premium assets, and I generally try and get the healthy producers year in and year out.
That said, at his recent prices, I *MAY* be sucked back in to MICHAEL THOMAS this year. At least here is a case where I see a path to a top 10 finish if he can stay on the field.
Sigh....... MICHAEL THOMAS :wall:
Someone please talk me out of that one.

But good luck to anyone that drafts OBJ.

OBJ was basically Justin Jefferson through 3 seasons. Good reminder that no asset has guaranteed long term value.
Labeling his average of 1400/12 per season in ~14 games a year for the first 3 years as "one good year" is crazy cray imo.

It's a bummer that OBJ got hurt in the SB because he had been getting better and looked to be returning to the special player he was to start his career.
I would disagree that Beckham looked anything like a special player last year for the Rams. He looked like a WR good enough to sometimes beat man coverage from #2 and #3 CBs, but defenses were basically daring teams to beat them with him. The idea that Beckham was only great his rookie year, is obviously absurd, but so is the idea that he's a #1 WR at this point. He hasn't been a difference maker in 4 years. He's a complimentary player coming of an ACL tear.

I hope someone in every league I’m in believes this.

In the spirit of the thread. How about Lawrence and Kirk? Maybe not top 5 but possible both top 10? That would league winning stuff! Right?!
In the spirit of the thread idea, I'll say Russell Wilson and Courtland Sutton.

You are misremembering.

You might be right. Looking back he did have a couple 1k yardage seasons sprinkled in.
Injury issues are one thing, being a diva or head case is something else. But everything combined , he's pretty much off my fantasy radar.
I believe he has "started" roughly 8 games per season the last 5 years.
I can, and do accept injuries to my RBs every year. But in my leagues, our stud WRs are premium assets, and I generally try and get the healthy producers year in and year out.
That said, at his recent prices, I *MAY* be sucked back in to MICHAEL THOMAS this year. At least here is a case where I see a path to a top 10 finish if he can stay on the field.
Sigh....... MICHAEL THOMAS :wall:
Someone please talk me out of that one.

But good luck to anyone that drafts OBJ.
A couple 1k seasons? He opened his career with three straight 1,300+ yard, 10+ TD seasons. He had a couple 1k seasons sprinkled in after that.

He was an elite talent, and he will likely never achieve those heights again but he was very much becoming a potent force for the Rams last season, particularly in the playoffs. I doubt he becomes a factor this season but, if he resigns with the Rams I wouldn't entirely count it out.

I think there are some pretty good combos this year from a stacking perspective.
  1. Lamar + Andrews (Yeah, I know the thread says WR... But Andrews is basically a WR and the #1 option for Lamar)
  2. Burrow + Chase (Worked pretty well last year)
  3. Stafford + Robinson or Kupp (I think both could be really good)
  4. Ryan + Pittman (Call me crazy, but I think Ryan will have a great year and could be a steal at his ADP)
My two cents...

I dont know what you mean by top 5 combo. DO you mean the QB will be top 5 in fantasy AND the player will be top 5 in fantasy? Or are you just talking about the WR (there's no point in calling it a qb-wr combo, because all WR's are going to be paired with their starting qb)

I'd put the odds of Jackson/OBJ being a top 5 combo at about 3,719 to 1, so ever-so-slightly higher than the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field.

I think there are some pretty good combos this year from a stacking perspective.
  1. Lamar + Andrews (Yeah, I know the thread says WR... But Andrews is basically a WR and the #1 option for Lamar)
  4. Ryan + Pittman (Call me crazy, but I think Ryan will have a great year and could be a steal at his ADP)
My two cents...
You didn't like the Murray to Brown combo? Lol

I know it seems crazy but I think the Lawrence to Zay Jones connection is going to surprise people. Kirk is the #1 and is essentially getting paid double, but Jones (Zay not Marvin) could end up as the top WR for the Jags.

Last edited:

Maybe he can do that again But being relevant this season is a huge stretch.

Bateman is the Ravens WR to target.
Also Stafford and Rams were a great fit for OBJ. Ravens not so much. He would actually be better off back on the Browns if he wants back in the AFC North.

My vote is for Jefferson/Cousins.

If I happen to get Jefferson, I’m going all in on Cousins with a late pick to set the stack and watch them fly.

A 29 year old receiver who has already shown signs of decline 6 months removed from a torn ACL? I don't see it happening.
This is the answer. How could they possibly be a top 5 combo, whatever the definition, when OBJ won't even play the majority of the season?? Come on man 😂

If Fields can play at all, Fields/Mooney is worth a gamble with that schedule. Doubt it could be top-5, but top 7-8? Possibly.

My two cents...
I like the Ryan - Pittman call. I'm on it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread