What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pro Bowl selections leaking out (1 Viewer)

Pittsburgh

Alan Faneca

inside linebacker James Farrior

center Jeff Hartings

safety Troy Polamaluoutside linebacker Joey Porter

wide receiver Hines Ward
I would say Ben makes it after that Brady performance on Mon night.
I would say Brees makes it over both of them. Also - this has to be the year for LT, right?NOTE: I've moved the running list of selections to the top of the thread.

Pittsburgh

Alan Faneca

center Jeff Hartings

wide receiver Hines Ward
Ben was named as an alternate, which means Brees is (deservedly) in with Manning. The third QB would have to be Trent Green or Brady.

Atlanta

Michael Vick
Wow. That's a complete joke. No way should Vick be considered a Pro Bowl QB this year.
Joke how so? If winning is everything in the NFL at 11-3 Vick has the 2nd best recored in NFC!I too think Vick is not the best qb in the world but whom are you going to give 3rd QB Slot too?
Favre, as mentioned above.
Give me your Argument of Farve (8-6) over Vick (11-3).
What The FPI said:Favre

3,527 yards, 25TD, 16 INT, 88.7 Rating

Vick

2,278 yards, 13TD, 12 INT, 76.6 Rating

Yes, the Falcons have 3 more wins, but the Packers are playoff bound themselves with a poor defense and a somewhat down year from Ahman Green.

Pittsburgh

Alan Faneca

center Jeff Hartings

wide receiver Hines Ward
I would say Brees makes it over both of them. Also - this has to be the year for LT, right?NOTE: I've moved the running list of selections to the top of the thread.
So would I. My 3 as of now would be Manning (duh), Brees, and Ben. With Green and Brady nipping at his heels.I think Brady's last performance will sour a lot of folks on him. Green will be bitten by the bug that got LT last year. Too many good players and not enough wins by KC. Thats how I see it any way.

Ward and Vick are total BS.Looks like Horn and Alexander are getting the shaft.
I thought there were 4 WR slots per conference.THE MAN: You don't have a FB slot for the AFC yet on your initial post.

Atlanta

Michael Vick
Wow. That's a complete joke. No way should Vick be considered a Pro Bowl QB this year.
Joke how so? If winning is everything in the NFL at 11-3 Vick has the 2nd best recored in NFC!I too think Vick is not the best qb in the world but whom are you going to give 3rd QB Slot too?
Favre, as mentioned above.
Give me your Argument of Farve (8-6) over Vick (11-3).
What The FPI said:Favre

3,527 yards, 25TD, 16 INT, 88.7 Rating

Vick

2,278 yards, 13TD, 12 INT, 76.6 Rating

Yes, the Falcons have 3 more wins, but the Packers are playoff bound themselves with a poor defense and a somewhat down year from Ahman Green.
This is odd. I thought the Pro Bowl was about stats, not W-L. Otherwise, why is Roethlisberger left out with a 12-0 record?I'd have thought Favre would make it.

Ward is BS. No way he SHOULD get in this year. With the three guys in Indy, C.Johnson, Bennett, J.Smith, A.Johnson, and Mason all having better seasons than him there is no way I can justify this pick.Vick IMO should get in. He has lead his team to the 2nd best record in the NFC and adding in his rushing stats has been more impressive than Favre this year. Favre however will get in because of his name, undeservingly so though.

Ward gets a lot of respect from opposing defenses because of his physical play.. that's why he makes it.IMO, Roethlisberger and Aaron Smith were more deserving than Ward this year.

Still waiting on:NFCChicagoNew OrleansSFSeattleSt. LouisLooks like Seattle might get a few nods along the OL, based on spots not yet filled.AFCNEBuffaloClevelandJacksonvilleHoustonTennesseeKCJax will be getting some DL love, KC on the OL.Teams with no Pro Bowlers? Probably SF and Cleveland. Anyone from Tennessee or Houston going to make it?

Ward and Vick are total BS.Vick IMO should get in. He has lead his team to the 2nd best record in the NFC and adding in his rushing stats has been more impressive than Favre this year.
Not even close. And as mentioned above, record is the only thing Vick has on Favre this season and if that's going to be the criteria then how come Roethlisberger isn't on the team?Vick's a bad choice.Lest I be accused of being a homer, I will also say Green's a bad choice. I'd take Westbrook ahead of Green (I'm assuming Alexander will make it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ward is BS. No way he SHOULD get in this year. With the three guys in Indy, C.Johnson, Bennett, J.Smith, A.Johnson, and Mason all having better seasons than him there is no way I can justify this pick.Vick IMO should get in. He has lead his team to the 2nd best record in the NFC and adding in his rushing stats has been more impressive than Favre this year. Favre however will get in because of his name, undeservingly so though.
Yeah I guess I can see Vick making it.. Favre is really the only other option.Ward is a horrible selection. Though it's amazing how much better the NFC receivers are this year.. Bennett easily has the best numbers in the AFC.

San Diego:

Drew Brees

LaDainian Tomlinson

Antonio Gates
It would have been nice to see Jamal Williams and/or Donnie Edwards make the bowl - I think they've both had deserving seasons

You need to separate fantasy football from the NFL. Ward is the 4th leading WR (receptions) in the AFC despite being on a team that throws the least. Plus he is one of the few WRs that makes a difference in the running game. He is an easy choice.

Ward and Vick are total BS.Vick IMO should get in.  He has lead his team to the 2nd best record in the NFC and adding in his rushing stats has been more impressive than Favre this year. 
Not even close. And as mentioned above, record is the only thing Vick has on Favre this season and if that's going to be the criteria then how come Roethlisberger isn't on the team?Vick's a bad choice.Lest I be accused of being a homer, I will also say Green's a bad choice. I'd take Westbrook ahead of Green (I'm assuming Alexander will make it).
Are you kidding me? Record is the ONLY thing Vick has on him? How about rushing yds and TDs. Vick has won Atl at least 2 games I can think of with his legs alone (probably more than that too I dont get to see many).I could really care less, these are the 2 most overrated QBs in the game IMO. I however think that Vick has done more for Atl this year and deserves the spot. As I said earlier though, I think Favre will get it based on his name.

Ward is a horrible selection. Though it's amazing how much better the NFC receivers are this year.. Bennett easily has the best numbers in the AFC.
This is a bit harsh. The guy is still on pace to post 86 catches for 1,115 yards on a team that throws 17 times a game. 2/3 of the vote comes from opposing defenses and coaches, the guys that have to scheme against the Steelers, and the guys who have to face him between the lines. They obviously appreciate how important he is to the running game and how important his leadership is. Sure, the Colts may have 3 guys with better numbers, but they throw 200 times a game. Are you going to tell me Ward would be the 4th best receiver on that team?Sometimes it goes beyond the numbers. Again, though, I will say that Smith and/or Roethlisberger may have been more deserving.

Ward and Vick are total BS.Vick IMO should get in.  He has lead his team to the 2nd best record in the NFC and adding in his rushing stats has been more impressive than Favre this year. 
Are you kidding me? Record is the ONLY thing Vick has on him? How about rushing yds and TDs. Vick has won Atl at least 2 games I can think of with his legs alone (probably more than that too I dont get to see many).I could really care less, these are the 2 most overrated QBs in the game IMO. I however think that Vick has done more for Atl this year and deserves the spot. As I said earlier though, I think Favre will get it based on his name.
Vick's obviously the better runner. You're correct and I stand corrected on that count. However, I stand by the statement that he is not a Pro Bowl QB this season. I can't think of a single game the Packers have won this season in spite of Favre. I can, however, think of a large number of games Atlanta won despite getting nothing of substance from Vick.

You need to separate fantasy football from the NFL. Ward is the 4th leading WR (receptions) in the AFC despite being on a team that throws the least. Plus he is one of the few WRs that makes a difference in the running game. He is an easy choice.
I dont disagree at all. You are however talking about the most overlooked things in the game when it comes to WRs. Especialy when evaluating Pro bowl selections. Poeple hardly care about that blocking. It sure didnt help Ward make it before he was a 1000/10 WR. I can see if it was only a few guys we are talking about here, but this list is 8 deep! The blocking may give him the tie breaker, but the man has only scored 4 TDs through the air and these others have got 5 minimum. Oh and I didnt even count R.Smith in there who also has better numbers. The list is now 9 deep. I'm sorry, I love Ward and all, but he does not deserve it this year.

Ward is a horrible selection.  Though it's amazing how much better the NFC receivers are this year.. Bennett easily has the best numbers in the AFC.
This is a bit harsh. The guy is still on pace to post 86 catches for 1,115 yards on a team that throws 17 times a game. 2/3 of the vote comes from opposing defenses and coaches, the guys that have to scheme against the Steelers, and the guys who have to face him between the lines. They obviously appreciate how important he is to the running game and how important his leadership is. Sure, the Colts may have 3 guys with better numbers, but they throw 200 times a game. Are you going to tell me Ward would be the 4th best receiver on that team?Sometimes it goes beyond the numbers. Again, though, I will say that Smith and/or Roethlisberger may have been more deserving.
Like Vick it comes down to, "well who would you put in over him?" I guess there's no one in the AFC that screams Pro Bowl material this year. Walker, Muhammad, Owens, and Horn are no-brainers to me and would get my vote over Ward. But alas they all play in the NFC, so Ward gets the nod over inferior competition.

Vick's obviously the better runner. You're correct and I stand corrected on that count. However, I stand by the statement that he is not a Pro Bowl QB this season. I can't think of a single game the Packers have won this season in spite of Favre. I can, however, think of a large number of games Atlanta won despite getting nothing of substance from Vick.
The thing that cracks me up about this debate, despite my own belief that Favre should be the 3rd NFC QB:Favre could care less about the Pro Bowl and wouldn't play even if selected - same as he has done the last few times he has been selected.I'd guess that you can definitely count him out if his alternate status changes to "in". Unless... (gulp) this is his last year and he played because of that...

Ward is a horrible selection.  Though it's amazing how much better the NFC receivers are this year.. Bennett easily has the best numbers in the AFC.
Like Vick it comes down to, "well who would you put in over him?" I guess there's no one in the AFC that screams Pro Bowl material this year. Walker, Muhammad, Owens, and Horn are no-brainers to me and would get my vote over Ward. But alas they all play in the NFC, so Ward gets the nod over inferior competition.
This is the "inferior" comp you speek of:1 Drew Bennett TEN 76 1171 15.4 10 48 2 Chad Johnson CIN 82 1161 14.2 7 53 3 Jimmy Smith JAC 69 1133 16.4 6 65 4 Andre Johnson HOU 73 1083 14.8 5 54 5 Reggie Wayne IND 71 1059 14.9 11 44 6 Derrick Mason TEN 88 1055 12.0 7 37 7 Rod Smith DEN 67 1010 15.1 6 85 8 Tony Gonzalez KC 77 990 12.9 5 32 9 Hines Ward PIT 75 972 13.0 4 58 10 Marvin Harrison IND 75 969 12.9 14 59 11 Brandon Stokley IND 61 954 15.6 9 69 12 Eddie Kennison KC 52 934 18.0 8 70 13 Ashley Lelie DEN 48 926 19.3 6 58 Now while I agree that the NFC is way superior for WRs this year. How can you look at these stats and say Ward is the choice? There are at least 9 guys with much better numbers.

This is the "inferior" comp you speek of:1 Drew Bennett TEN 76 1171 15.4 10 48 2 Chad Johnson CIN 82 1161 14.2 7 53 3 Jimmy Smith JAC 69 1133 16.4 6 65 4 Andre Johnson HOU 73 1083 14.8 5 54 5 Reggie Wayne IND 71 1059 14.9 11 44 6 Derrick Mason TEN 88 1055 12.0 7 37 7 Rod Smith DEN 67 1010 15.1 6 85 8 Tony Gonzalez KC 77 990 12.9 5 32 9 Hines Ward PIT 75 972 13.0 4 58 10 Marvin Harrison IND 75 969 12.9 14 59 11 Brandon Stokley IND 61 954 15.6 9 69 12 Eddie Kennison KC 52 934 18.0 8 70 13 Ashley Lelie DEN 48 926 19.3 6 58 Now while I agree that the NFC is way superior for WRs this year. How can you look at these stats and say Ward is the choice? There are at least 9 guys with much better numbers.
Dude I agree Ward isn't worthy. My criteria is does the guy make big plays and cause problems for opposing defenses? After Bennett and C.Johnson, I don't see any receivers in that list who fit. Maybe Harrison and Kennison.

Ahman Green selected and no Alexander yet??? :shock: What a crock of ####!!. I'm sure Alexander will be there, but no way should Ahman be starting over him at all.

So because Drew Bennett blew up in 2 games against the Chiefs and Raiders he is a better WR than Hines Ward? Come on bud...

The thing that cracks me up about this debate, despite my own belief that Favre should be the 3rd NFC QB:Favre could care less about the Pro Bowl and wouldn't play even if selected - same as he has done the last few times he has been selected.I'd guess that you can definitely count him out if his alternate status changes to "in". Unless... (gulp) this is his last year and he played because of that...
Doubtful. You're right that Pro Bowls don't mean much to Favre at this point in his career. He's got bigger fish to try and fry.

Dude I agree Ward isn't worthy. My criteria is does the guy make big plays and cause problems for opposing defenses? After Bennett and C.Johnson, I don't see any receivers in that list who fit. Maybe Harrison and Kennison.
Maybe its just me, but I thought that Harrison and Wayne would be no brainers on this. They make big plays and have 11 and 14 TDs. Add in Bennett and Chad, and thats my list of who Should be in. Ward falls short.

Trotter? WTF, he is terrible, one dimensional and didn't even start until and injury opened a spot for himMorgan? how many games did he miss?and in the AFC, no Edwards?I know we have to seperate fantasy and real football but those picks or lack of are ridiculousTom

So because Drew Bennett blew up in 2 games against the Chiefs and Raiders he is a better WR than Hines Ward? Come on bud...
Bennett (-) his 2 best games and Ward (-) his 2 best:Bennett: 814/4Ward: 725/2Plus, those are 2 games that Ward simply never had this year. Now he may, but part of being in the Pro bowl is showing that explosivness at WR.

Most of the Pro Bowl voting was done before Bennett's big 3 games. That's why he wasn't selected so throw him out of the conversation when discussing Ward. Wayne certainly deserved to go.

Most of the Pro Bowl voting was done before Bennett's big 3 games. That's why he wasn't selected so throw him out of the conversation when discussing Ward. Wayne certainly deserved to go.
Boy that would be a shame. Has it ever worked out so that the Conf leader in yds or TDs did not get in the Pro bowl before? I would think not.

Most of the Pro Bowl voting was done before Bennett's big 3 games. That's why he wasn't selected so throw him out of the conversation when discussing Ward.
As for Bennett, how do you choose him over his own teammate Mason anyway? Both have comparable numbers, with Bennett having more TDs and Mason more catches. They tend to cancel each other out.On a different note, nice to see LT get in there. He was royally snubbed last year, when he was even better than this year (groin injury notwithstanding).

Bennett (-) his 2 best games and Ward (-) his 2 best:Bennett: 814/4Ward: 725/2Plus, those are 2 games that Ward simply never had this year. Now he may, but part of being in the Pro bowl is showing that explosivness at WR.
I think if you'd ask any CB in the NFL (which they did) who is the better WR this year and any other year Hines Ward would be chosen emphatically over Drew Bennett. Guys like Bennett and Wayne are complimentary WRs but because they are in passing offenses and put up similar stats the average Joe says hey Drew Bennett is a Pro Bowler. Obviously the more opportunities a WR gets the better their numbers will be. Ward is the same WR he's always been but he hasn't gotten the opportunities in the passing game that he did in prior years. He has been more valuable in the running game. Ward is as steady as they come as a receiver, blocker, teammate. The players, coaches, and fans saw it you should too.

BTW, here is a stat for you:

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/leader...k=055&Submit=Go

NFL Leaders in %Passes Caught/Target

(Thru games of Dec. 20, 2004)

(3.125 Targets/Game)

Rank Player Team

1 Edgerrin James Ind 88.5 ( 46/52 )

2 Domanick Davis Hou 84.3 ( 59/70 )

3 Brian Westbrook Phi 83.9 ( 73/87 )

4 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 80.0 ( 48/60 )

5 Marshall Faulk StL 79.0 ( 49/62 )

6 Jerald Sowell NYJ 78.8 ( 41/52 )

7 Jermaine Wiggins Min 77.9 ( 60/77 )

8 Ahman Green GB 77.8 ( 35/45 )

9 Thomas Jones Chi 76.6 ( 49/64 )

10 Hines Ward Pit 75.0 ( 75/100 )

Hines is the ONLY WR on this list.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/leader...k=231&Submit=Go

NFL Leaders in Yards After Catch (Receivers) (Thru games of Dec. 20, 2004)

Rank Player Team

1 Brian Westbrook Phi 640

2 Tiki Barber NYG 499

3 Andre Johnson Hou 473

4 Domanick Davis Hou 445

5 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 415

6 Terrell Owens Phi 404

7 Michael Clayton TB 391

8 Edgerrin James Ind 387

9 Rod Smith Den 385

10 Thomas Jones Chi 382

11 Hines Ward Pit 377

Only 4 WRs in the NFL ahead of Hines here.

It is a shame that Favre is not getting the pro-bowl status he so richly deserves. Hopefully the NFL pro-bowl won't lose relivancy the way that the Acadamy Awards have. But Favre is a bigger man than that. They can take away his pro-bowl, but Brett Favre still transcends the game in a way that perhaps no QB in the history of the NFL has or ever will again. :bow: As for Ward, he also has benefitted greatly from the attention that Buress has received from defenses, same as Bennett has benefitted from Mason. Ward, love the guy but he should not be a Pro Bowler this year.

Ward gets a lot of respect from opposing defenses because of his physical play.. that's why he makes it.IMO, Roethlisberger and Aaron Smith were more deserving than Ward this year.
I'd have said Smith before Porter, too.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/leader...k=231&Submit=Go

NFL Leaders in Yards After Catch (Receivers) (Thru games of Dec. 20, 2004)

Rank Player Team

1 Brian Westbrook Phi 640

2 Tiki Barber NYG 499

3 Andre Johnson Hou 473

4 Domanick Davis Hou 445

5 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 415

6 Terrell Owens Phi 404

7 Michael Clayton TB 391

8 Edgerrin James Ind 387

9 Rod Smith Den 385

10 Thomas Jones Chi 382

11 Hines Ward Pit 377

Only 4 WRs in the NFL ahead of Hines here.
There are currently 8 guys ahead of him in yds, 23 ahead in TDs, and 6 ahead in Rec. Oh and this is just the AFC. He isn't even top 4 in any single Rec catagory.I'm a huge Ward fan and have loved him for years. He is a as complete a WR I have ever seen. He simply is not having a good enough year this year to be in the Pro bowl IMO. I think maybe you need to take off your glasses. If he gets in more power to him, but I would have to say it is based on the name he has created over the last 2 seasons.

Ahman Green selected and no Alexander yet??? :shock: What a crock of ####!!. I'm sure Alexander will be there, but no way should Ahman be starting over him at all.
What makes you think Ahman is starting over Alexander (or Tiki)?

Users who are viewing this thread