What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pro-Bowlers being announced! (1 Viewer)

Michael Vick on the pro bowl team is an absolute joke.

And on the other side, so is Joey Porter. Completely ridiculous.
Why? Without Vick they are probably a 3-13 team and Warrick Dunn doesn't sniff the pro bowl- don't underestimate how much a RB is helped by playing with Vick and having the defense respect the bootleg. Stats are misleading. Vick = wins.
:bs: Matt Schaub anyone?
As a Falcons fan, I'd like to see what Schaub can do, but, unfortunately I don't see it happening any time soon. Vick has just regressed since his stellar 2002 season.

rec yards YPC lng TD

Anquan Boldin 85 1240 14.6 54 6

Larry Fitzgerald 92 1236 13.4 47 8

how does one make it and not the other?
Cause there only a limited amount of spots. I'm sure it was a toss up of which one of them went, but its hard to get both going.

PRO-BOWL is a popularity contest

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:
the fan vote definitely is. The coach/player vote is a more accurate representation of who really are the best players imho.
And seeing that Eli was the leading NFC QB in votes and that Bledose was up there as well, that it means that the vote did not have everything with Vick getting in.

:X Koren Robinson :X

No Alstott :bs:
It's nice to see another FB make it other than Alstott. He is majorly overrated. The only reason he gets noticed more is because he scores TDs. It's nice to see a FB that doesn't always take the glory make it in.
Mack Strong deserves it big time. He has helped blocked for many good/great rushing seasons and has never been rewarded. Its about time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope you are kidding. Caddy should be no where close the Pro Bowl this year with Rbs lke Alexander, Barber, Dunn, Portis, and Thomas Jones. Caddy missing it is not a snub or a travesty at all, it should have been expected.

Shawne Merriman

LT2

Lo Neal

Gates

Jamal Williams

:thumbup:
:) Good to see Jamaal go, I'm very happy for him.

Vick going to the pro bowl is a travesty. All you people talking about the NFC having an advantage in their recievers are missing the point - once Vick gets in the game it wouldn't matter if he had Jerry Rice on one side and Godzilla on the other to throw to, he wouldn't be able to be productive passing the ball.

Shawne Merriman

LT2

Lo Neal

Gates

Jamal Williams

Vick going to the pro bowl is a travesty. All you people talking about the NFC having an advantage in their recievers are missing the point - once Vick gets in the game it wouldn't matter if he had Jerry Rice on one side and Godzilla on the other to throw to, he wouldn't be able to be productive passing the ball.
Vick can throw the ball fine. It's the WR's that are the problem. There's no way any QB could have a 300+ game with the sorry WR's he has to play with.Besides he just wins (8-6).

I was afraid Jamal Williams was going to get snubbed once again. He and Lorenzo Neal definitely deserved it this year, so it's great to see them go.This will be the first of many years for Merriman.

Shawne Merriman

LT2

Lo Neal

Gates

Jamal Williams

He actually looked pretty good throwing to Holt the last time around.

Besides he just wins (8-6).
I hate this argument.Hate it.

Based on that, Kyle Orton should've been a lock for the pro-bowl. Hell, he should be an MVP candidate.

A quarterback is a very important part of a team, sure. But, he's only 1 of *twenty-two* starters on a team.

Twenty-one other players have much, much, MUCH more to say about whether a team wins or loses than the one QB.

Why? Without Vick they are probably a 3-13 team and Warrick Dunn doesn't sniff the pro bowl- don't underestimate how much a RB is helped by playing with Vick and having the defense respect the bootleg. Stats are misleading. Vick = wins.
Matt Schaub played in one game against the Pats when the Pats were a pretty lousy team. Atlanta lost.

Based on that, Kyle Orton should've been a lock for the pro-bowl. Hell, he should be an MVP candidate.

A quarterback is a very important part of a team, sure. But, he's only 1 of *twenty-two* starters on a team.

Twenty-one other players have much, much, MUCH more to say about whether a team wins or loses than the one QB.
I don't think you're understanding the argument fully.If the Bears do terrible now that Orton isn't playing, then Orton comes back and they do well again- then that is valid to say that Orton is a winner. However, I think that most people here would agree that wouldn't happen.

But that is what happened with Vick. They were a playoff team with him. They went 2-11 without hiim. Then he came back that same year that they went 2-11 and they went 3-1 with him! Seriously, please try to explain that! Then when you're done with that, explain them going to the NFC Championship game the next year with him.

You must have read my comment wrong. Let me state it again.Vick just wins (8-6).

See the loses are not Vicks, just the WINS. Vick makes the offensive line better, the RB's better, and heck even the defense is better because Vick is playing. They have nothing to do with winning just the L's.

Also, dont' forget a opposing team has to game plan for him and only him. You realize this has never been done before in the history of the NFL EVER right?

Except for Tom Brady. He's Jesus in a red, white, & blue uniform. :rolleyes:

Oh, and just FYI-The Falcons are 8-5 this year with Vick(0-1 without him) and 8-5 would currently be a playoff team this year, so all of the people saying that he isn't winning this year are nuts. 8-5 is not a bad record at all.

Teams don't have to gameplan for Tom Brady.

I think Tom Brady just might be considered the greatest QB of all time one day.

Oh, and just FYI-

The Falcons are 8-5 this year with Vick(0-1 without him) and 8-5 would currently be a playoff team this year, so all of the people saying that he isn't winning this year are nuts. 8-5 is not a bad record at all.
Yep. I'm with you. No way they lose that game with Vick playing.

Oh, and just FYI-

The Falcons are 8-5 this year with Vick(0-1 without him) and 8-5 would currently be a playoff team this year, so all of the people saying that he isn't winning this year are nuts. 8-5 is not a bad record at all.
Then i guess Drew Bledsoe got snubbed this year too. :ph34r: The Vick apologist are very funny. The guy is not a good QB. Face it. ;)

You must have read my comment wrong. Let me state it again.Vick just wins (8-6).

See the loses are not Vicks, just the WINS. Vick makes the offensive line better, the RB's better, and heck even the defense is better because Vick is playing. They have nothing to do with winning just the L's.

Also, dont' forget a opposing team has to game plan for him and only him. You realize this has never been done before in the history of the NFL EVER right?
Am I the only one sensing sarcasm here? I could be wrong.

Oh, and just FYI-

Then i guess Drew Bledsoe got snubbed this year too. :ph34r: The Vick apologist are very funny. The guy is not a good QB. Face it. ;)
Teams do not game plan for Bledsoe so he did not get snubbed. I mean Vick might actually run on you. Imagine Bledsoe attempting that. So teams that play dallas get a few days off since there's no game planning around bledsoe and what he might do.

I am not a fan of the Falcons or Vick, but it seems that in the real world of football (as opposed to fantasy where stats are king), Vick is a player that opposing teams absolutely must game plan around. While his ability to make plays with his feet don't add up to fantasy points, that ability keeps drives alive and ultimately helps put points on the board.

My personal opinion is that while Vick's weakness as a pocket passer will perpetually limit the ultimate success of his team in the postseason, his strength as an elusive and mobile QB is the reason his team is as competitive as it is.

I can understand why the fans wouldn't vote for him, but I can understand why the other 2/3 (players and coaches) would.
The problem is there are QBs who are not only having better seasons but their teams are as well. It's one thing to slide Vick under the guise of "all he does is win" which is why he got selected last season and more deserving QBs were left out. It's another to select him when there are other considerably more legitimate options on teams having better seasons than the Falcons or the same as the Falcons.
QB is the NFC is probably the weakest position this year. I could argue that none of them really deserved it, yet alone that people who didn't make it didn't deserve it.
No question this is a down year in the NFC at the QB position thanks to the injuries to McNabb and Culpepper and Favre playing badly. But Hasselbeck clearly deserved to go. That one should not get any debate. Delhomme got ripped off by Vick last season so I don't have a problem with him going. But if it's all about "wins" with Vick as you so love to say, then Manning should be going over Vick without hesitation. And Vick shouldn't be going ahead of Brunell or Bledsoe since both of their teams have the same number of wins. In that case, the tiebreaker should be which QB is playing better and Brunell and Bledsoe would then win out over Vick.No matter how you slice it, Vick going to the Pro Bowl is a joke.

It's possible but you'd have to get out the Magic 8 ball and ask it. Then again it's more accurate than a Vick pass.

Matt Schaub played in one game against the Pats when the Pats were a pretty lousy team. Atlanta lost.
And in Vick's last game he got outplayed by Rex Grossman. Something tells me Schaub going toe-to-toe with Tom Brady in a game where he clearly played well enough to win doesn't look quite so bad in comparison.

You must have read my comment wrong. Let me state it again.

Vick just wins (8-6).

It's possible but you'd have to get out the Magic 8 ball and ask it. Then again it's more accurate than a Vick pass.

Thats what I thought.

Shawne Merriman

LT2

Lo Neal

Gates

Jamal Williams

Very excited to see Jamal get named, long past due. :thumbup: And I'm a little surprised to see Merriman make it since I assumed he wasn't getting national recognition before the Colts game, and that it would be too late for him to get the votes, but I'm glad he did.

Did you not mention Hanik Milligan for a reason? I was surprised he made it as well, since Kassim Osgood seemed to be the special teams poster boy for the Chargers.

I am not a fan of the Falcons or Vick, but it seems that in the real world of football (as opposed to fantasy where stats are king), Vick is a player that opposing teams absolutely must game plan around. While his ability to make plays with his feet don't add up to fantasy points, that ability keeps drives alive and ultimately helps put points on the board.

My personal opinion is that while Vick's weakness as a pocket passer will perpetually limit the ultimate success of his team in the postseason, his strength as an elusive and mobile QB is the reason his team is as competitive as it is.

I can understand why the fans wouldn't vote for him, but I can understand why the other 2/3 (players and coaches) would.
The problem is there are QBs who are not only having better seasons but their teams are as well. It's one thing to slide Vick under the guise of "all he does is win" which is why he got selected last season and more deserving QBs were left out. It's another to select him when there are other considerably more legitimate options on teams having better seasons than the Falcons or the same as the Falcons.
QB is the NFC is probably the weakest position this year. I could argue that none of them really deserved it, yet alone that people who didn't make it didn't deserve it.
No question this is a down year in the NFC at the QB position thanks to the injuries to McNabb and Culpepper and Favre playing badly. But Hasselbeck clearly deserved to go. That one should not get any debate. Delhomme got ripped off by Vick last season so I don't have a problem with him going. But if it's all about "wins" with Vick as you so love to say, then Manning should be going over Vick without hesitation. And Vick shouldn't be going ahead of Brunell or Bledsoe since both of their teams have the same number of wins. In that case, the tiebreaker should be which QB is playing better and Brunell and Bledsoe would then win out over Vick.No matter how you slice it, Vick going to the Pro Bowl is a joke.
I agree Vick going is a joke.Hasselbeck (sp?) should have been voted in without a doubt. I believe Eli still needs to grow some before making it in but with the other major talent down he's a good choice. Delhomme has been to the big game and handles the ball well so I have no issue with him making it in.

Oh, and just FYI-

Teams do not game plan for Bledsoe so he did not get snubbed. I mean Vick might actually run on you. Imagine Bledsoe attempting that. So teams that play dallas get a few days off since there's no game planning around bledsoe and what he might do.
Right and Vick can't pass on you so all the DB's get a week off. The guy is not a good QB. Praise him all you want for running fast. That is all he does. Maybe Randle El should move back to QB if that is all it takes to make the pro bowl. :rolleyes:

And in Vick's last game he got outplayed by Rex Grossman. Something tells me Schaub going toe-to-toe with Tom Brady in a game where he clearly played well enough to win doesn't look quite so bad in comparison.
Your forgetting the fact that the Defense plays better when Vick is in the game. Schuab just hasn't mastered that portion of the game yet. Also Schuab threw the ball to the terrible WR's that didn't have a clue what to do when they actually could catch the ball.

Oh, and just FYI-

Right and Vick can't pass on you so all the DB's get a week off. The guy is not a good QB. Praise him all you want for running fast. That is all he does. Maybe Randle El should move back to QB if that is all it takes to make the pro bowl. :rolleyes:
No you still have to game plan for the pass, Vick has a great arm and accuracy. It's just the system he's in that's the problem. Once he has a few more years and better WR's he'll be better.

Enough of the Vick talk. It's really difficult to think he deserves it, but then again he made it on the votes of the players and coaches. Nice to see DeAngelo Hall making it. This is really his first season (remember, he was out most of last year with the broken pelvis).Guy's gonna be a great one.

I havent been able to watch the other two guys much, and I understand their reprs preceed them, but it is a shame that the REAL heart of the Giants defense did not make it.Pierce has been a monster at LB this year.

Oh, and just FYI-

Keep in mind that the only winning team the Falcons have beaten is the Vikings, who definitely weren't playing like a winning team at the time (@Miami is actually looking like the best win right now).

Nice to see DeAngelo Hall making it. This is really his first season (remember, he was out most of last year with the broken pelvis).

Guy's gonna be a great one.
:goodposting: Just needs to keep his cool during games. I think he would also play better with a more aggressive DC.

Giants: The Giants’ Pro Bowl players are running back Tiki Barber, tight end Jeremy Shockey, defensive ends Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora and special teams standout David Tyree.

Jets: Ty Law
I was hoping that Pierce would join the DE's in Hawaii

Not sure if there was room, but, surprised that Tatupu didn't make the NFC LB core. I haven't seen much of Trotter's play this year, but, the stats make the SEA defense seem much more formidable than PHI.

Tatupu is all the rage out here.
Tatupu is the alternate which is still very good and there is the chance Trotter steps down or an injury for Urlacher or Trotter.
Seahawks K Josh Brown, LB Lofa Tatupu, and C Robbie Tobeck are alternates and will make the trip if a selected player is injured or chooses not to play.
http://www.seahawks.com/ArDisplay.aspx?ID=6319

Your forgetting the fact that the Defense plays better when Vick is in the game. Schuab just hasn't mastered that portion of the game yet. Also Schuab threw the ball to the terrible WR's that didn't have a clue what to do when they actually could catch the ball.
This is absolutely ridiculous. What do the WR's have to do with that game? Schaub threw for 298 yds and 3 TD's with 0 INT's in that game to those very WR's. How many times has Vick thrown for 3 TD's this year? They scored 28 pts. but the team gave up 31 pts. How on earth is it a fact that Vick playing makes the defense play better? What sort of evidence do you have of this? That is absolutely one of the biggest piles of hogwash I've heard in a while considering that very same defense gave up 31 pts. to the pitiful Saints a week after the NE game with Vick under the center and gave up 33 points to a 3 win GB team with him starting in addition to 30 against TB with him under center. I could see how a QB would help the defense by running the offense more efficiently and letting the defense rest, but Shaub ran the offense every bit as efficiently in that game as Vick has or moreso. Did Shaub give up passing plays of 33, 55, and 45 yards? Didn't think so. The fact of the matter is that the Falcons have lost to every good team they've faced no matter who is under center, some of them fairly lopsidedly and have only beaten the weaker teams they are supposed to be able to beat. It is a sign of a talented player that teams gameplan against them, but to be a Pro Bowler those teams ought to be a lot less successful in that than teams have been this year.

I don't think you're understanding the argument fully.If the Bears do terrible now that Orton isn't playing, then Orton comes back and they do well again- then that is valid to say that Orton is a winner. However, I think that most people here would agree that wouldn't happen.

But that is what happened with Vick. They were a playoff team with him. They went 2-11 without hiim. Then he came back that same year that they went 2-11 and they went 3-1 with him! Seriously, please try to explain that! Then when you're done with that, explain them going to the NFC Championship game the next year with him.
That bad season was two years ago with Doug Johnson and Kurt Kittner at QB behind Vick. Are either of them even in the NFL still? Yes, at that point in time they were better with him then they were without him but I don't think we have sufficient evidence to say the same this year. We don't know that Schaub would lead them to a better record or not as only one game against a playoff bound team is not an adequate sample size. All we do know is that Vick has not led his team to a single big victory this year losing both games to the top teams in his division in addition to getting beaten by pathetic teams like GB. He got in because he's a huge talent, not because of anything he's done on the field. He was a default pick since the top QB's in the NFC for the first part of the season in McNabb and Bulger both got hurt and nobody else can have that strong of an argument made for them.

It is interesting that the Broncos #1 running offense in the AFC has 0 representatives on the O-Line for the AFC team. I guess the players and coaches really hate the Broncos O-line.

Can't believe Galloway didn't make it.
Which WR would you kick out?
Holt
You could argue that Galloway made based upon stats only since his are slightly better than Holt's but Holt missed a couple games.5 Joey Galloway TB 71 1152 16.2 8 80

6 Torry Holt STL 88 1128 12.8 8 44

Holt is still the better pick IMO.
Galloway has 8 receiving TD out of the teams 13. Both deserve to go based on the stats. But I can't help feeling that Galloway deserved it more because he accounts for a greater proportion of Tampa’s offense. Besides, doesn't Holt go every year?

It is interesting that the Broncos #1 running offense in the AFC has 0 representatives on the O-Line for the AFC team. I guess the players and coaches really hate the Broncos O-line.
Or it could be that the sum of their parts are greater than any individual whole. I mean, can anyone really say that any of Denver's O-Lineman are the best at their position in the AFC? Probably not. However, when working as a team, they do their job and do it very well.
Can't believe Galloway didn't make it.
Which WR would you kick out?
Holt
You could argue that Galloway made based upon stats only since his are slightly better than Holt's but Holt missed a couple games.5 Joey Galloway TB 71 1152 16.2 8 80

6 Torry Holt STL 88 1128 12.8 8 44

Holt is still the better pick IMO.
Galloway has 8 receiving TD out of the teams 13. Both deserve to go based on the stats. But I can't help feeling that Galloway deserved it more because he accounts for a greater proportion of Tampa’s offense. Besides, doesn't Holt go every year?
Why does that matter? So because Holt goes every year, then he should not go this year because someone who normally does not make it is having a comparable year? It is a tough call between Holt and Galloway, but considering that Holt is still excelling with the Rams starting their 3rd string QB for the past month, I think that says quite a bit about how good Holt is and what a great season he is having once again. Yes, Galloway has had a great year, but with so many WR's having great years in the NFC, some were bound to be left out and Galloway was one of the unfortunate ones.

Surprised not to see Adrian Wilson's name, he's had an outstanding season. Maybe he can console with Donnie Edwards, who gets screwed every year.What Anquan Boldin has done in just 12 games should not have been ignored.

Surprised not to see Adrian Wilson's name, he's had an outstanding season. Maybe he can console with Donnie Edwards, who gets screwed every year.
Donnie Edwards has been screwed in the past, but this year he didn't deserve to go. Not that he's played poorly, but this is the first year in a long time (going back to his days with the Chiefs) that I don't think he's played at a Pro-Bowl level.

Yeah! What he said. And then tell us what happened in that NFC Championship game...Oh wait, they lost. He faced above average competition for once. The NFC was weak, is weak ,and will continue to be weak for the forseeable future.

This is absolutely ridiculous. What do the WR's have to do with that game? Schaub threw for 298 yds and 3 TD's with 0 INT's in that game to those very WR's. How many times has Vick thrown for 3 TD's this year? They scored 28 pts. but the team gave up 31 pts. How on earth is it a fact that Vick playing makes the defense play better? What sort of evidence do you have of this? That is absolutely one of the biggest piles of hogwash I've heard in a while considering that very same defense gave up 31 pts. to the pitiful Saints a week after the NE game with Vick under the center and gave up 33 points to a 3 win GB team with him starting in addition to 30 against TB with him under center. I could see how a QB would help the defense by running the offense more efficiently and letting the defense rest, but Shaub ran the offense every bit as efficiently in that game as Vick has or moreso. Did Shaub give up passing plays of 33, 55, and 45 yards? Didn't think so. The fact of the matter is that the Falcons have lost to every good team they've faced no matter who is under center, some of them fairly lopsidedly and have only beaten the weaker teams they are supposed to be able to beat. It is a sign of a talented player that teams gameplan against them, but to be a Pro Bowler those teams ought to be a lot less successful in that than teams have been this year.
I was joking using the arguments others use. I believe Vick is an average QB and nothing more.

Tobeck, Tatupu headed to Pro Bowl | SubscribeThe Seahawks found out today that C Robbie Tobeck and MLB Lofa Tatupu have been named to the Pro Bowl, giving Seattle seven representatives in the game.Both players had been alternates to the game. Tobeck is playing because Bears C Olin Kreutz has withdrawn from the game. Tatupu goes because Bears MLB Brian Urlacher will not play in the game.
Talk about a dominant O-line....3 players (Tobeck, Huch, Jones) from the Hawks O-line are in the Pro Bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread