What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PSA - Get a flu shot! (1 Viewer)

Thanks for sharing your story.  I still won't get a flu shot.  There's an exception to everything. The doctor said a flu shot 'probably' would have prevented this.  That's not very convincing.  I don't believe in flu shots.  
Can you explain what you mean by this?  You think they don’t work, the risk/reward isn’t worth the cost/hassle or you literally don’t believe in them like they are the Easter Bunny?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the shot every year - used to get the flu like every 1-2 years but knock on wood it’s worked for me.  Could be a coincidence as my kids were little and germ factories back when I used to get it.  I get it free at the office so no reason not to.

Sinn Fein said:
Yes - I got the flu from my wife (who also had a shot that year).  There were two big strains going around that year - the shot we got covered one strain, we ended up getting the other strain.

The flu shot had nothing to do with me getting the flu - its a correlation, not a causation. 

But, I have never gotten the flu any other year...so I don't see the point.  :shrug:

My wife works in healthcare, and she gets a shot every year.  My kids get the shot every year.  I do not get the shot.  
It’s certainly your choice, but a couple minor points:

1. You probably have had the flu at some other point, as most cases are asymptomatic.

2. The point is preventing influenza mortality and complications in high risk individuals, not just protecting yourself. Hopefully you’ll reconsider when you get older or develop medical problems.

Rhythmdoctor said:
Thanks for sharing your story.  I still won't get a flu shot.  There's an exception to everything. The doctor said a flu shot 'probably' would have prevented this.  That's not very convincing.  I don't believe in flu shots.  
What don’t you believe in?

ETA What AAAbatteries said

Got mine yesterday. Second year in a row that it hurts like hell. Never had any issues until last year. Remember remarking how I couldnt even feel the shot. Then the next day it was awful. 

Same thing. Literally couldnt even feel the shot. Now today I feel like some meathead on the football team was punching me every time I farted last night. 

I had pretty constant brussel sprout and beer gas. 

My son and I got ours last week.  He got to put in his yearly, "put it in my right arm please, so I can use it as an excuse to not write in school tomorrow" joke.

Got mine yesterday. Second year in a row that it hurts like hell. Never had any issues until last year. Remember remarking how I couldnt even feel the shot. Then the next day it was awful. 

Same thing. Literally couldnt even feel the shot. Now today I feel like some meathead on the football team was punching me every time I farted last night. 

I've never heard of that before, it's pretty hilarious actually.

My arm just hurts the next day for a bit, but as I get older and the arthritis in my knees and hip gets worse, this flu shot feels like a walk in the park and it's kind of welcoming - takes my mind off my knees for a while! :)

I've never heard of that before, it's pretty hilarious actually.

My arm just hurts the next day for a bit, but as I get older and the arthritis in my knees and hip gets worse, this flu shot feels like a walk in the park and it's kind of welcoming - takes my mind off my knees for a while! :)
I had some stomach issues for a couple days after getting the shot and a sore arm but that's about it.

I got my flu shot a couple of weeks ago, but haven’t had one since I was a teen. I’ve had the flu maybe twice since the early 90s, but with COVID out there, there’s no way I’m not covering my bases. Everyone should get a flu shot if they are able to. 

So, just a quick kinda funny-ish story and really it's just a sign of the times I suppose.  But, typically, it's like a cattle call at the office.  You fill out your forms, you stand in a big line, you bs about your kids or whatever, you plop in a seat, someone rolls up your sleeve (because you didn't do it up high enough) swab of alcohol, shot, bs a little bit, sign a form and out you go and then bs with some people in the hallway on the way back to your desk.

My God this year, I felt like one of the astronauts coming back from the moon landing.  Absolutely no lines, no waiting, I got a text message, the room was empty except for HR (behind a makeshift cubicle)  go to a designated area to sign in, check over forms, walk to another room where there was a nurse dressed head to toe like she was getting ready to treat an ebola victim, shot in the arm and out the door and the whole vibe was "okay, you got your shot now get the hell away from me."  :)   I'm extremely happy it's all taken so very seriously, it's awesome actually but the difference between what once was and our "new normal" is just amazing to me really.  

So, just a quick kinda funny-ish story and really it's just a sign of the times I suppose.  But, typically, it's like a cattle call at the office.  You fill out your forms, you stand in a big line, you bs about your kids or whatever, you plop in a seat, someone rolls up your sleeve (because you didn't do it up high enough) swab of alcohol, shot, bs a little bit, sign a form and out you go and then bs with some people in the hallway on the way back to your desk.

My God this year, I felt like one of the astronauts coming back from the moon landing.  Absolutely no lines, no waiting, I got a text message, the room was empty except for HR (behind a makeshift cubicle)  go to a designated area to sign in, check over forms, walk to another room where there was a nurse dressed head to toe like she was getting ready to treat an ebola victim, shot in the arm and out the door and the whole vibe was "okay, you got your shot now get the hell away from me."  :)   I'm extremely happy it's all taken so very seriously, it's awesome actually but the difference between what once was and our "new normal" is just amazing to me really.  
Everyone is working from home now but we used to have the same thing.  Although, it's a huge PITA to get your flu shot at work but then still have to go somewhere to take your kid in.

Everyone is working from home now but we used to have the same thing.  Although, it's a huge PITA to get your flu shot at work but then still have to go somewhere to take your kid in.
Same, 90% of the office is working from home but they still brought flu shots in, I thought that was excellent on the company's part.

You prolly got the flu shot that contains the Bill Gates trackable microchip.  I heard that one hurts more.

Publix has a free flu shot plus you get a $10 gift card for doing it.

What’s weird is when I went they didn’t even ask for my insurance and I’m not sure why.

I get a flu shot every year. The last time I got the flu was about 10 years ago, and it was miserable. Although getting the shot is no guarantee to keeping the flu away, I liken it to having insurance: better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.

An ounce of prevention for me. I'll take a sore shoulder for a day, if it means I have a greater chance of not getting a crappy virus down the line.

Saw this as well. Is it better to get it now and then again later or just wait?
It is kind of an interesting debate going on about this for a few weeks now. Better for society overall if you go now. Probably better on an individual level to wait. 

At least thats the framing of the debate on epitwitter. 

Users who are viewing this thread