What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PSA: STOP LIKING TEXT MESSAGES!!! (1 Viewer)

It's an IPhone thing.
I assumed this was the case, or people using messenger as their default text app. 

You're right, it's annoying. You're basically telling the person you saw their message and don't want to really respond. 

But I guess a 👍 isn't much better, and I use that occasionally.

I encountered this in a few text groups recently.  I am on Android so I assumed it was something for Apple.  

On an Apple device does it send a new alert saying "... Liked your message"?  Or does it just put a like more like Twitter where you just see a like on your message?

I encountered this in a few text groups recently.  I am on Android so I assumed it was something for Apple.  

On an Apple device does it send a new alert saying "... Liked your message"?  Or does it just put a like more like Twitter where you just see a like on your message?
Both. 

On Apple device (iMessage), the "like" or reaction (can be: a heart, HaHa, !!, ?, like or dislike) icon pops up in the corner of the message they reacted to. I'm a fan. I'll use it as a weapon from time to time if someone is talking too much trash. :lol:  

It’s the same as getting notified about someone reacting to your post here - now, they should allow you to disable it or add custom ones so you can reply with : finger : 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
I've always understood these as a nice way to end a text conversation  People sometimes feel obliged to respond to substantive text messages, but there's nothing to say in response to a thumbs up or a "Ha Ha."  Pretty useful when you're too lazy to keep coming up with stuff to say to your friends, or you just want your SO to leave you alone to watch TV. 

Guilty. I use them as a read-receipt or an acknowledgment because I don’t want to reply with actual words. 

The Jitterbug rejects all forms of communication other than talking excruciatingly loud to someone else 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
wait - so people send a text, it gets liked and you get a text back it was liked??

I am so glad my friends dont do this :unsure:
I think it's only if you're on an android and they're on an iPhone, but yes.  And not only do you get a text back that it was liked, it also repastes your entire original text.

like, I send @mr furley a text:   "Furley, you smell like balls"

He, on an iPhone, clicks the "LOL".  

Then, on an android, I get a text back that says "Mr Furley LOL'd at '"Furley, you smell like balls"

I do wish there was an option to do something like that in a group text that does not cause a notification to everyone on the group text, but just to the person whose text that you liked. I'd conservatively estimate that 80% of my text messages are family members responding to group texts from my mom or another family member with "congrats," "glad to hear," etc.

I'm in a group chat with a bunch of degenerate friends of mine.  They all have iPhones which have the ability to "react" to texts while my Androids does not (at least not that I'm aware of).  They've made chains of the different reactions.  Currently they're at:

"Emphasized “Loved “Laughed at “Loved “Questioned “Laughed at “Loved “Emphasized “Disliked “Disliked “Questioned “Loved “Disliked “Loved “Laughed at “Loved “Emphasized “Questioned “Laughed at “Liked “Laughed at “Emphasized “Questioned “Disliked “Laughed at “Emphasized “Questioned “Disliked “Liked “Liked “Liked “Liked “"Oh my god that's badass!"””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””".

swc liked for the love of god quit liking text messages it send a new text back that you like it its stupid its sucks quit doing it tia in advance take that to the bank brohans

Loved "What if you really like the comment?"

That's how it comes thru. Looks weird. Just send an emoji.
I wonder why the tech companies can't get together and figure out a way to fix this so texts and tapbacks and whatnot work seamlessly regardless of your phone and provider. 

Almost immediately after the first stated legalized marijuana, every shady weed seller in America collectively agreed on sizing/fitting so that every cartridge fits every pen.  My 5 year old has wooden toy train tracks made by a Swedish company that interlock perfectly with his wooden toy train tracks from a UK company. 

If weed companies of questionable legality and competing toy companies who don't even speak the same language can work together on for the collective benefit, surely the geniuses at Apple and Google can do the same.

I wonder why the tech companies can't get together and figure out a way to fix this so texts and tapbacks and whatnot work seamlessly regardless of your phone and provider. 

Almost immediately after the first stated legalized marijuana, every shady weed seller in America collectively agreed on sizing/fitting so that every cartridge fits every pen.  My 5 year old has wooden toy train tracks made by a Swedish company that interlock perfectly with his wooden toy train tracks from a UK company. 

If weed companies of questionable legality and competing toy companies who don't even speak the same language can work together on for the collective benefit, surely the geniuses at Apple and Google can do the same.
It would require either:

one of them to admit the other is doing something better and adopting their method

or

the two of them working together on a shared solution. 

Hell will freeze over before either of those happens.  

Seriously this has to stop.  Especially in mixed (android/iphone) group texts. 

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned

Users who are viewing this thread