What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Put out of playoffs due to Commish error (1 Viewer)

BTW

i just saw this. I had no idea this was a rule:

Safeties for 1 Point:

This is the number of one point safeties in a game. This is a new NFL statistic in 2015. This can be scored on a 2-point conversion attempt by tackling the opponent in their own end zone.
New statistic delivered by the NFL, but not a new rule. As I just mentioned, there are just more ways it can happen now to where they decided to include it in the stat line.

This was always the one people missed in the trivia question of what were the 7 ways to score in the NFL (touchdown, field goal, PAT, 2-pt conversion, fair catch kick, 2-pt safety, 1-pt defensive safety). Which is now 8 with defensive 2-pt conversions.

If you're a commish, you must be at least a little interested in NFL scoring rules, don't you think? If you were paying attention, the change was fairly widely publicized, and a commish should have had at least an opinion, if not a league discussion.

No one else in my league brought it up before the season, but I did. We agreed to count them. If you haven't done that, I don't think you can count them.

(By the way, we also count the one-point defensive safety. Because as a commish you should be a rules geek.)
Not necessarily relevant, but I wonder if this guy's league counts the new one-point defensive safety. If so, maybe evidence that commish did in fact look at the NFL rule changes and make a preseason decision about how they would (or would not) be scored.
One-point defensive safety is not new. It's been around for... I don't know exactly. Several decades probably. It just would have taken a rare situation for it to happen, like a defensive player batting a ball out of his end zone. Now that the defense can gain possession on a PAT without the play immediately ending, there are just more ways it can happen.
:bag:

So if Sportsline freaks out and makes TE receptions worth 50 points each, that changes an outcome so thats the new rule?
But that's a Sportsline issue, not a rule issue. The hosting site software is the problem, not the fact the commissioner forgot to enable a rule.
OP got hosed for a different reason- but the above is still incorrect imo. Look at it this way- does the Commish have the power to change rules by fiat and without notifying the league? Likely not. So how can he have the power to do so accidently? Its really no different that the website making the glitch, the Commisher is not (generally) the dictator of the league, he facilitates the rules, much like the website. A mistake is a mistake, and a mistake shouldnt change the rules.
"My opponent realizes the commish never put the rule in awarding 2 pts to the special teams unit for returning a blocked extra point"

What am I missing that this was a rule that was never enabled by the commissioner that he's trying to enable now?

Our league rules state:

The only other scenario where a rule will be changed mid-season is if a rule is not being enforced with the intent of the rule the way it was originally written in our rules. For example, if the scoring rule was entered incorrectly in the MFL software it would be corrected as soon as the error was noticed and any corrections would be retroactively applied with no time constraints on the corrections. This is the only circumstance under which a scoring change could change the outcome of a previous week(s) result.
However, that means the actual scoring rule must have been in the official rules which get sent out to each owner prior to the season starting. You say the rule was never "discussed", but was it in the copy of the rules? If so, I would have no problem with it being applied here in week 13. However, even if the commish *intended* to put that rule change in place, if it was never put into the written rules and the owners made aware of the change it shouldn't be applied in week 13.

EVEN if it was discussed prior to the season I don't see how you can change the rules in season. If it was missed, too bad, the rule can't be enabled until next season. Imagine if this was a rule that changed the TD from 4 to 6 points. The fact that this affects only one matchup is irrelevant. Rules can't be changed in season.

You're getting hosed.
The rules are not the same as the league hosting settings. If the rule says TDs are 6 points, and through some glitch the hosting site is scoring it as 4 points, you should fix it to match the rule.

But if you don't have a rule, you can't impose one now. We had that many years ago with an offensive fumble recovery TD; it wasn't in the rules, wasn't in league scoring, so we didn't count it.
"setting", "rule", "option" - call it what you want - it's still a rule. If the hosting site is having problems and not scoring properly, then that's a different issue than the commissioner going into the settings and enabling/disabling them.

I'm simply of the camp that you cannot change settings/rules/options once the season has started - unless the entire league unanimously votes for it.
"settings" and "rules" are not equivalent terms. You can't change rules in the middle of the season. You can fix discrepancies between settings and rules.

it was a special teams score.

your rules, I assume, give those points to special teams when they score (I.e. blocked punt for a TD). unless your league specifically discussed that this scenario (blocked PAT for a run back) would be handled uniquely, then the points go to the Def/ST

the only difference here is that that function was not enabled on the website since it is a new rule.

no bad intentions on the commish's part; it was just a simple oversight. 2 points to NO Def/ST. you lose.

BTW

i just saw this. I had no idea this was a rule:

Safeties for 1 Point:

This is the number of one point safeties in a game. This is a new NFL statistic in 2015. This can be scored on a 2-point conversion attempt by tackling the opponent in their own end zone.
New statistic delivered by the NFL, but not a new rule. As I just mentioned, there are just more ways it can happen now to where they decided to include it in the stat line.

This was always the one people missed in the trivia question of what were the 7 ways to score in the NFL (touchdown, field goal, PAT, 2-pt conversion, fair catch kick, 2-pt safety, 1-pt defensive safety). Which is now 8 with defensive 2-pt conversions.
Why would offensive and defensive 2-pointers be separate categories? Aren't they both just "2 point touchdowns"?

your rules, I assume, give those points to special teams when they score (I.e. blocked punt for a TD). unless your league specifically discussed that this scenario (blocked PAT for a run back) would be handled uniquely, then the points go to the Def/ST

the only difference here is that that function was not enabled on the website since it is a new rule.

no bad intentions on the commish's part; it was just a simple oversight. 2 points to NO Def/ST. you lose.
I just read through this entire thread waiting for someone to make this point.

Look, maybe you could argue on a technicality that this specific method of scoring was not enabled. But c'mon! If your league allows for D/ST scoring this was two points scored by the D/ST, so it's perfectly logical that they should get credit for them.

The more I think about it I completely agree with this.

The Commish error here is what momentarily got the OP into the playoffs anyway not what put him out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm playing in a IDP league very high scoring system. Me and my opponent this week playing for the 6th and final playoff spot, I win the game by 1 pt. My opponent realizes the commish never put the rule in awarding 2 pts to the special teams unit for returning a blocked extra point.
How do you play IDP and Team Defense?

EVEN if it was discussed prior to the season I don't see how you can change the rules in season. If it was missed, too bad, the rule can't be enabled until next season. Imagine if this was a rule that changed the TD from 4 to 6 points. The fact that this affects only one matchup is irrelevant. Rules can't be changed in season.

You're getting hosed.
The rules are not the same as the league hosting settings. If the rule says TDs are 6 points, and through some glitch the hosting site is scoring it as 4 points, you should fix it to match the rule.

But if you don't have a rule, you can't impose one now. We had that many years ago with an offensive fumble recovery TD; it wasn't in the rules, wasn't in league scoring, so we didn't count it.
"setting", "rule", "option" - call it what you want - it's still a rule. If the hosting site is having problems and not scoring properly, then that's a different issue than the commissioner going into the settings and enabling/disabling them.

I'm simply of the camp that you cannot change settings/rules/options once the season has started - unless the entire league unanimously votes for it.
"settings" and "rules" are not equivalent terms. You can't change rules in the middle of the season. You can fix discrepancies between settings and rules.
okay, if there exists a rule that explicitly states that scoring can be changed in season then the OP is #### out of luck.

Scoring is not being changed mid-season, the settings that allow the league website to recognize the score are.

Yeah, if you consider how the OPs opponent would feel losing by 1 point for a rule and scoring that should have been active...

Rules should not be changed this far into the season. The only way this rule should have gone into effect is if it were changed before anyone had been affected by it. When a rule needs to be adjusted or added we always tell owners it will have to happen next season. You got screwed. At the very least there should have been a coin flip or something, but even that wouldn't be fair since your team should have made the playoffs.

Rules should not be changed this far into the season. The only way this rule should have gone into effect is if it were changed before anyone had been affected by it. When a rule needs to be adjusted or added we always tell owners it will have to happen next season. You got screwed.
First off, it's not a rule, it's a setting. Second, no one has been "affected" yet because the results are not final until Thursday.

I'm playing in a IDP league very high scoring system. Me and my opponent this week playing for the 6th and final playoff spot, I win the game by 1 pt. My opponent realizes the commish never put the rule in awarding 2 pts to the special teams unit for returning a blocked extra point.
More importantly, why in the hell was his opponent starting the Saints D?

He didn't. This thread is a fishing trip.

Rules should not be changed this far into the season. The only way this rule should have gone into effect is if it were changed before anyone had been affected by it. When a rule needs to be adjusted or added we always tell owners it will have to happen next season. You got screwed.
First off, it's not a rule, it's a setting. Second, no one has been "affected" yet because the results are not final until Thursday.
Okay, we're getting too far off on whether it's a "setting" or a "rule".

It's a setting that will directly affect a score and, as such, should not be changed in season unless otherwise specified by the rules. And that rule should explicitly state that scoring settings can be changed "In season".

IMO, if a setting isn't changed by the time the season starts, it can't change at all until the next season.

It's a setting that will directly affect a score and, as such, should not be changed in season unless otherwise specified by the rules.
Sorry but that is ridiculous. If the Commish forgot to turn on the setting that counts all touchdowns, would you seriously argue that all scores should count as-is?

If the NFL changes a scoring rule and your league doesn't discuss it prior to the draft then I'm sorry it's a rule and not a "setting". If you're arguing it as simply a setting then you could argue all scoring is settings and not rules. Some leagues may choose not to award any points for the new scoring rule, some may score it as 2 points, others may score it whatever they choose. Either way it's a rule not a simple setting. You are arguing the commish forgot to turn on the setting for it to score. I'm sure you have scoring rules for touchdowns, etc. Forget to turn on a scoring rule already discussed before draft or in your leagues scoring rules then yes, by all means correct it. In this case it's a new scoring change which was never discussed whether it would score any points at all. I would never play in a league which changed or added rules during the year unless all owners agreed to it.

You are wrong. If it is written in the rules, it is a rule.

If it is not written down somewhere, then it is not a rule and can't be changed.

F That! I'd make a huge stink. It doesnt matter that it hasnt happened all year, you dont change scoring after the season starts. My league has a rule that scoring and tie breakers are decided by the website. If there is an oversight like this we will change it the following year.

This is absolutely :bs:

It sounds to me like (i) this rule was "on the books" before the season started (i.e. the league had agreed to adopt this rule prior to the season); (ii) the rule the league agreed on was not correctly input into the scoring settings due to an oversight, and (iii) this is the first instance the new scoring rule was triggered (i.e. the rule had not been ignored in previous games only to be arbitrarily implemented now).

If that's correct, commish should absolutely enforce the rule the league agreed to. Part of the role of the commish is to enforce the rules and correct computer/site errors. The rule is not negated due to a simple oversight. This would be different if this rule had been triggered many times during the season and ignored until now--then there would be a lack of consistency. This is the first time the rule was triggered and commish immediately corrected the score to follow the leagues agreed to rules.

I just read through this entire thread waiting for someone to make this point.

Look, maybe you could argue on a technicality that this specific method of scoring was not enabled. But c'mon! If your league allows for D/ST scoring this was two points scored by the D/ST, so it's perfectly logical that they should get credit for them.
I'm in agreement here. Commissioner should consider what the fairest outcome is, and that fantasy scoring should reflect reality is more fair than a slavish adherence to "well those were the system settings so deal with it."

Sorry about missing the playoffs by such a narrow margin OP, but the rightful person ended up getting the last slot.

It sounds to me like (i) this rule was "on the books" before the season started (i.e. the league had agreed to adopt this rule prior to the season); (ii) the rule the league agreed on was not correctly input into the scoring settings due to an oversight, and (iii) this is the first instance the new scoring rule was triggered (i.e. the rule had not been ignored in previous games only to be arbitrarily implemented now).

If that's correct, commish should absolutely enforce the rule the league agreed to. Part of the role of the commish is to enforce the rules and correct computer/site errors. The rule is not negated due to a simple oversight. This would be different if this rule had been triggered many times during the season and ignored until now--then there would be a lack of consistency. This is the first time the rule was triggered and commish immediately corrected the score to follow the leagues agreed to rules.
What makes you think it was "on the books" before the season started? OP said it was was not discussed pre-season. Did I miss something?

It's a setting that will directly affect a score and, as such, should not be changed in season unless otherwise specified by the rules.
Sorry but that is ridiculous. If the Commish forgot to turn on the setting that counts all touchdowns, would you seriously argue that all scores should count as-is?
Yep - unless the league votes unanimously to turn it on. In your example, I would expect the league to vote unanimously to turn it on, but it's still a vote.

I'm playing in a IDP league very high scoring system. Me and my opponent this week playing for the 6th and final playoff spot, I win the game by 1 pt. My opponent realizes the commish never put the rule in awarding 2 pts to the special teams unit for returning a blocked extra point. After being made aware of this error the commish puts the rule in place now awarding my opponent the 2pts and the final playoff spot.

Am I wrong to be pissed off about this? It was my 1st yr in this 15 yr old league. I'm also a commish of my own league and there's no way I would change that rule in the midlle of the season! We played under that error all season
1) As someone else pointed out I think this is a major :fishing: because it states that its an IDP league then talks about team D. And who in the hell is starting the Saints D in any leagues of less than like 30 teams.

2) The OP states that the error is in fact the Commish not putting the rule into the scoring system.

So the answer to this likely hypothetical is simple. The Commish corrects the error by inputting the proper scoring into the league website. This is the first time it came up, it was pointed out to the Commish, and the Commish corrected the error to reflect the league rules. Case closed. Anyone stating anything else is being obtuse.

What makes you think it was "on the books" before the season started? OP said it was was not discussed pre-season. Did I miss something?
OP said "My opponent realizes the commish never put the rule in awarding 2 pts to the special teams unit for returning a blocked extra point. After being made aware of this error the commish puts the rule in place now awarding my opponent the 2pts and the final playoff spot." That sounds like the rule was in place (adopted by the league) and OP's opponent realize the commish mad an error when he did not "put the rule in" to the site's scoring settings.

There could be many reasons OP did not participate in a "discussion" of the rule before the season. Perhaps he joined the league after the rule had already been adopted, or perhaps the commish simply announced the new rule and it was never "discussed". If OP is truly trying to say that this rule did not exist, and that another owner got the commish to invent and implement this rule out of thin air in order to get him into the playoffs and screw OP, then obviously that would be outrageous. But a league that is run like that isn't likely to last 15 years, so my best guess based on OP's post and the context is that this rule was adopted at some point prior to OPs fatal game.

He didn't. This thread is a fishing trip.
100% true. Starting NO against a team who's been scoring in bunches (scored 41 even with 3 turnovers) and hadn't until Sunday been turning the ball over. They were tied for 28th before this week in my league that doesn't penalize for points against and Carolina is 3rd in points scored this season, 9 behind Arizona and 2 behind the Pats. This was a match up no one was actually playing this week. Total fishing trip.

i'm a commish for a few work leagues.

We just added this scoring play to our rules yesterday. Thankfully the Defensive Conversion Return did not come into play on any of our starting lineups last week.

I mentioned to the league that this play SHOULD be in the scoring rules and that we should add it for the playoffs and the majority of owners voted and agreed.

In your case, one that affects a game and a playoff spot the ONLY thing the commish should do is go with what the rules say. Even if the intent was to have it in there, it wasn't. That would be my ruling. I'm, sorry your commish is going with "intent" and overstepping his role a bit.

OP said "My opponent realizes the commish never put the rule in awarding 2 pts to the special teams unit for returning a blocked extra point. After being made aware of this error the commish puts the rule in place now awarding my opponent the 2pts and the final playoff spot." That sounds like the rule was in place (adopted by the league) and OP's opponent realize the commish mad an error when he did not "put the rule in" to the site's scoring settings.

There could be many reasons OP did not participate in a "discussion" of the rule before the season. Perhaps he joined the league after the rule had already been adopted, or perhaps the commish simply announced the new rule and it was never "discussed". If OP is truly trying to say that this rule did not exist, and that another owner got the commish to invent and implement this rule out of thin air in order to get him into the playoffs and screw OP, then obviously that would be outrageous. But a league that is run like that isn't likely to last 15 years, so my best guess based on OP's post and the context is that this rule was adopted at some point prior to OPs fatal game.
It doesn't matter if it was adopted or not, if the scoring setting WAS NOT in place when the season started, then it can't be put in during the season unless unanimously voted on by the league. And it would never pass unanimously at this point.

Seems pretty cut and dried to me.

We just added this scoring play to our rules yesterday. Thankfully the Defensive Conversion Return did not come into play on any of our starting lineups last week.

I mentioned to the league that this play SHOULD be in the scoring rules and that we should add it for the playoffs and the majority of owners voted and agreed.

In your case, one that affects a game and a playoff spot the ONLY thing the commish should do is go with what the rules say. Even if the intent was to have it in there, it wasn't. That would be my ruling. I'm, sorry your commish is going with "intent" and overstepping his role a bit.
Agreed 1000%. The only issue is I would say that any "in season" changes have to be unanimous, not majority.

Agreed 1000%. The only issue is I would say that any "in season" changes have to be unanimous, not majority.
Letting the owners vote is letting 9 wolves and 1 sheep decide whats for dinner.

That being said, the bottom line of this thread is 'Not enough information'. I suspect if the commish was here to speak for himself we'd have a clear cut answer, but without access to the actual rules or the emails/votes etc that took place pre-season (of which OP might not even have been involved in yet) theres no way to know.

As an aside- i've been on these boards over a decade and I dont know that i've ever seen a dispute or accusation that couldn't have been averted with well crafted and visibly posted rules. To add to that, i've started getting all of my correspondences of consiquence in texts or emails to prevent any he said/she said about what i tell people.

Just a thought. Someone with some time on their hands ought to put together a rules 'bible' that leagues could use as a template. Might even make a few bucks.

Letting the owners vote is letting 9 wolves and 1 sheep decide whats for dinner.
Dude, you're changing the outcome of a matchup based upon a setting that wasn't enabled and it's going to screw one team. The mere fact that you are altering the outcome of a matchup means either the setting stays (in this case, NOT enabled) for the remainder of the season or the league votes on it and it has to be unanimous.

This, of course, if you have no written rule that explicitly states what to do in this situation. However, IMO, it's clear cut - there is plenty of info provided. Doesn't matter if it was discussed or talked about prior to the season starting. The fact that it wasn't set when the season started means it can't be changed without a rule or a vote.

If you feel it's 9 wolves and 1 sheep then the setting doesn't change until next season. Problem solved.

Total BS. Link the league to this thread and demand your playoff spot. If he doesn't give it to you, let those clowns have their league and find a new one. Seems harsh, but if the commish is this shady now, it may happen again.

I agree with some that say it's an honest mistake. I actually commish a league and didn't adjust any scoring for the new NFL rule. Probably was an oversight, but that absolutely does not give ANY reason to add it in now. He can't just say "ya well that should be 2 points" in week 13. If the commish has morals he will change the ruling and let you in to playoffs.

Total BS. Link the league to this thread and demand your playoff spot. If he doesn't give it to you, let those clowns have their league and find a new one. Seems harsh, but if the commish is this shady now, it may happen again.

I agree with some that say it's an honest mistake. I actually commish a league and didn't adjust any scoring for the new NFL rule. Probably was an oversight, but that absolutely does not give ANY reason to add it in now. He can't just say "ya well that should be 2 points" in week 13. If the commish has morals he will change the ruling and let you in to playoffs.
My guess if the commish was the one affected by the score change no way would he implement it now. You damn well better believe he'd be saying "season already started, can't change scoring now".

I'm playing in a IDP league very high scoring system. Me and my opponent this week playing for the 6th and final playoff spot, I win the game by 1 pt. My opponent realizes the commish never put the rule in awarding 2 pts to the special teams unit for returning a blocked extra point. After being made aware of this error the commish puts the rule in place now awarding my opponent the 2pts and the final playoff spot.

Am I wrong to be pissed off about this? It was my 1st yr in this 15 yr old league. I'm also a commish of my own league and there's no way I would change that rule in the midlle of the season! We played under that error all season
1) As someone else pointed out I think this is a major :fishing: because it states that its an IDP league then talks about team D. And who in the hell is starting the Saints D in any leagues of less than like 30 teams.

2) The OP states that the error is in fact the Commish not putting the rule into the scoring system.

So the answer to this likely hypothetical is simple. The Commish corrects the error by inputting the proper scoring into the league website. This is the first time it came up, it was pointed out to the Commish, and the Commish corrected the error to reflect the league rules. Case closed. Anyone stating anything else is being obtuse.
Hmmm this may be true actually. I have never played IDP, are there any leagues that combo them and also have a team D category in on top of the Individual players?

All fantasy scoring is arbitrary. The only thing that really matters is that the same rules are applied to everyone equally. If the commish forgot to enable a scoring category, and nobody noticed it until week 13, and the entire league has been playing under the rule for the entire season, then you continue playing under the rule for the remainder of the season...no matter how commonsensical it may seem that the scoring category should have been enabled from the start. If it's important that every little thing be perfect, then each owner should go over the scoring setup with a fine tooth comb and bring errors or oversights to the commissioners attention prior to the draft, rather than expecting him to do it all himself. You fix these things in the off season, not mid-season. Nobody should be knocked out of the playoffs because a commissioner made a week 13 rule change that gave his opponent just enough points to win. Sounds like a commish intervening to help a 15 year member at the expense of the new guy.

Hmmm this may be true actually. I have never played IDP, are there any leagues that combo them and also have a team D category in on top of the Individual players?
I used to run a league that did this. We didn't have a group that wanted to go hardcore IDP and have a 40 round draft so we added just one DL, one LB, and one DB while keeping the team D/ST position. Ran this way for years.

If you want to have IDP but still score for yards and pts allowed you have to have a team D. You also miss a whole lot of scoring if you don't have a team D.

All fantasy scoring is arbitrary. The only thing that really matters is that the same rules are applied to everyone equally. If the commish forgot to enable a scoring category, and nobody noticed it until week 13, and the entire league has been playing under the rule for the entire season, then you continue playing under the rule for the remainder of the season...no matter how commonsensical it may seem that the scoring category should have been enabled from the start. If it's important that every little thing be perfect, then each owner should go over the scoring setup with a fine tooth comb and bring errors or oversights to the commissioners attention prior to the draft, rather than expecting him to do it all himself. You fix these things in the off season, not mid-season. Nobody should be knocked out of the playoffs because a commissioner made a week 13 rule change that gave his opponent just enough points to win. Sounds like a commish intervening to help a 15 year member at the expense of the new guy.
Not only that, what if the score here was off an INT or a sack/fumble rather than a blocked kick? Many leagues score sacks and turnovers at different values. Passing TDs are 4 points in many leagues, 50+ yd FGs 5+ points in other leagues. If this rule wasn't discussed before the season then how do we know what this play was worth fantasy wise?

Also, if there's a cluster #### like this, as a commish I would try to see if there's a workable solution for the three parties impacted.

It doesn't matter if it was adopted or not, if the scoring setting WAS NOT in place when the season started, then it can't be put in during the season unless unanimously voted on by the league. And it would never pass unanimously at this point.

Seems pretty cut and dried to me.
I've been in leagues where scoring settings get changed after the season starts. it's easy to not check a box when setting up a complicated scoring system, especially in IDP leagues. Typically that works itself out in the first week or two but since this is the first time this has ever happened in the NFL so I can how this was missed. If the rules states it's 2 points then it needs to be fixed despite what the leagues website settings are. I agree if it's not spelled out in the rules then go by the leagues settings.

Yep

All fantasy scoring is arbitrary. The only thing that really matters is that the same rules are applied to everyone equally. If the commish forgot to enable a scoring category, and nobody noticed it until week 13, and the entire league has been playing under the rule for the entire season, then you continue playing under the rule for the remainder of the season.
No one noticed it because it's the first time it's ever happened in NFL history. It's a setting not a rule. If it says it's 2 points in the actual rules that's what should dictate the result...not whether a box was checked on the website. If it's not spelled out clearly in the rules then they should go by the setting on the website they've been playing with all year.

Users who are viewing this thread