What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (1 Viewer)

And yet I loved Majik the most
That was a good time, no one outside of GB remembers that. That dude had a fun run.

I actually taught myself to roll a football up my hand, to my elbow and back down because I saw Majik Man do it on some NFL Films clip once. This did not impress high school girls as much as I would have liked.

Unreal, of course it's on YouTube. Yeah, watch that sweet ball roll 15 seconds into the video, I can do that! 😄

And yet I loved Majik the most
That was a good time, no one outside of GB remembers that. That dude had a fun run.

I actually taught myself to roll a football up my hand, to my elbow and back down because I saw Majik Man do it on some NFL Films clip once. This did not impress high school girls as much as I would have liked.

Unreal, of course it's on YouTube. Yeah, watch that sweet ball roll 15 seconds into the video, I can do that! 😄

Majkowski still shows up at Lambeau once or twice a season - not for a promotion or anything but I see him walking along the sidelines and interacting with the fans who are old enough to recognize him. Unfortunately, his body is completely broken - largely from several terrible hits he took while playing for the Colts after his Packer years.

This might be paywalled, not sure - two part piece by Tyler Dunne from last year - Part I: The Majik Man's final comeback
Majkowski taps his cell phone open to reveal a catalog of grisly MRI photos straight out of a slasher film. He pulls you into his pit of endless surgeries and eternal pain and, by God, it’s a miracle the man sitting here is still in one piece.

Start with the ankle, his most famous body part. The image of No. 7 in green writhing in pain at Lambeau Field on Sept. 20, 1992 replays ad nauseum because, of course, that shattered left ankle is what launched the career of, one, Brett Favre. And as Favre proceeded to start an NFL-record 321 straight games, life was quite different for Majkowski. That ankle has since undergone nine surgeries and a fusion. Right there on his phone, you can see the 13 screws and two titanium plates jammed it in place.

His lower back is also fused. This required an artificial disc.

Lifting his shirt to display a deep scar, Majkowski explains that he was “gutted” like a fish. The surgeon needed to knife through his chest to get to his back via an operation so difficult that a vascular surgeon was needed to assist the orthropedic surgeon. His organs were, literally, removed so they could get to this spine.

“All my guts were out,” he says.

That’s not even the worst of it, either.

Just this past year, Majkowski had two neck surgeries six months apart.

First, a doctor cut into his neck from the back. He had the same surgery as Peyton Manning, complete with a “big ‘ol zipper” along his neck. When this didn’t work, a doctor cut his neck open from the front, which explains that visible scar near the jugular. From the front, a doctor inserted two massive plates and eight screws into the back. Majkowski shakes his head. Yes, it also blows his mind that a doctor can stuff so much into his neck from that angle.

The top of his spine is fused from the C4 vertebrae to the C7.

“A little horizontal slash,” he explains, “and then they open it up. They go all the way to your vertebrae.”

Not even a flag in 1994

Can't golf anymore, can't play tennis, can't throw a football, can't coach his sons or play catch. Can't stand for long and can't sit for very long either. Repeatedly denied benefits, had to sue the NFL and NFLPA, tons of meds, etc. - its a terrible story honestly but he's still such a great guy its inspiring.

How did the Jets not have trade framework set already? Very weird
It sounds like they did have a framework agreement worked out, but now the Pack are now looking at what they think is some leverage and deciding to squeeze a little more. Every report has contradicted the other ones though - so at this point I think it's just prudent to wait it out.
I'm generally confused by all the timelines on this. Some say the Packers and Jets have been discussing a trade since the Super Bowl. Based on Rodgers comments it sounds like he didn't hear anything about a trade until he was out of his dark room, which was about 3 weeks ago.

If that's the case, there are a lot of moving parts to trading Rodgers. It's not ridiculous to think that a general framework, but not specifics are worked out.

Let's not forget that the Packers and Jets head coaches are literally best friends, and that LaFleur's brother was on the coaching staff there until this season. Now Hackett, who was with the Packers is there. It's not like there isn't conversations occurring.

Last edited:
The Packers have to blink. The Jets don't have to get him. But the Pack really need him gone.
True if they think Zach Wilson is the answer.
If only there was some other option.
Yeah, if the compensation is two 1sts, makes a lot more sense to just go try and sign Lamar.
They could also trade for Tannehill for way less.

Obviously the Jets have gone “all in” on trying to get Rodgers, but JD isn’t going to bend over especially when the Packers want him gone just as much as the Jets want him.

Rodgers should start showing up to OTAs when they start up - then what Packers?

Slow-motion chaos, with two fan bases and the media on pins and needles. Rodgers must be giggling right now.
I mean, as a Packer fan whatever. Let Rodgers show up for camp. It would be fun to see him whine like a little princess.
Since when does Rodgers show up for camp?

The whole discussion is kind of ridiculous - but I understand, its also fun I suppose. Apart from the fact he doesn't do OTA's, in this particular case I don't think he can legally participate until the team has picked up his $58.3M 2023 option. The deadline for that is week 1 of the regular season and if it happens (it won't) that will mean something really extraordinary has transpired between now and then.

The Packers have to blink. The Jets don't have to get him. But the Pack really need him gone.
They could run Matt Ryan and Hendon Hooker out there.

If the Jets regroup, they can make a move. What are the Pack going to do?

Both teams seem to have nothing but crappy Plan B options. The Packers could cut Rodgers (disastrous, likely not legally possible under salary cap regulations); they could find another trade partner (doesn't seem to exist) or could pay him to sit/not play. They're over a barrel. At the same time the Jets options are guys like Teddy Bridgewater, trying to trade for another team's backup, or rolling with Wilson - all in the face of a massive ongoing media/fan frenzy welcoming #12 to the team, having already committed to guys like Hackett and Lazard.

Both teams seem to have nothing but crappy Plan B options. The Packers could cut Rodgers (disastrous, likely not legally possible under salary cap regulations); they could find another trade partner (doesn't seem to exist) or could pay him to sit/not play. They're over a barrel. At the same time the Jets options are guys like Teddy Bridgewater, trying to trade for another team's backup, or rolling with Wilson - all in the face of a massive ongoing media/fan frenzy welcoming #12 to the team, having already committed to guys like Hackett and Lazard.
do we know for sure that the two sides are far apart, and that the compensation is a big hold up that's causing both stress? I wonder if that is more media driven. Could it be that they're close, or have a general idea but are just in no rush? Or want to do it after the draft? Maybe not, but I do wonder if there's really all this compensation tension that people seem to be feeling/talking about.

do we know for sure that the two sides are far apart, and that the compensation is a big hold up that's causing both stress? I wonder if that is more media driven. Could it be that they're close, or have a general idea but are just in no rush? Or want to do it after the draft? Maybe not, but I do wonder if there's really all this compensation tension that people seem to be feeling/talking about.

We don't know what the hold up is or even if there is a hold up. I haven't seen any statements from either team, which is really the only trustworthy source of information. Its still just mid March and the draft is over a month away. It could be they are just hammering out some minor side details like agent fees or late round pick swaps; or I guess its also possible the two front offices have allowed the process to get this far without having a firm deal in place, which seems extremely unlikely.

We don't know what the hold up is or even if there is a hold up. I haven't seen any statements from either team, which is really the only trustworthy source of information. Its still just mid March and the draft is over a month away. It could be they are just hammering out some minor side details like agent fees or late round pick swaps; or I guess its also possible the two front offices have allowed the process to get this far without having a firm deal in place, which seems extremely unlikely.
Ya I think the fans are more stressed and anxious about this than the GM's might even be.

It's obvious what they're doing. Going all in on Jordan Love. this was set in motion three years ago when the drafted him. They are already in rebuilding mode. Not sure why you aren't seeing that

It's obvious what they're doing. Going all in on Jordan Love. this was set in motion three years ago when the drafted him. They are already in rebuilding mode. Not sure why you aren't seeing that
I do, and I think it's the right move (probably with the wrong QB, but whatever)

What I meant was, if the Jets have to move on from this deal, they can, and everyone will forget that Rodgers almost came to the Jets.

If the Pack moves on from this deal, what do they do, pay Rodgers 50 mill to undermine Love all year long? Take him back for one year, and Love sits again?

Jets are obviously pot-committed, just gave 22 mill to Lazard over two years (geeez really?), if they give up anything more than a 2nd, Pack are winners, far as I am concerned.

I think part of this hold up is that the Pack want what they want, but the Jets know they are the only option left. So why should the Jets give up a first rounder?

I do, and I think it's the right move (probably with the wrong QB, but whatever)

What I meant was, if the Jets have to move on from this deal, they can, and everyone will forget that Rodgers almost came to the Jets.

If the Pack moves on from this deal, what do they do, pay Rodgers 50 mill to undermine Love all year long? Take him back for one year, and Love sits again?
Sorry, but I’m not following. What backup plan do the Jets have that lets them move on and have everyone forget about Rodgers? Will Hackett, Lazard, and Jets Nation just forget this all happens and get giddy with excitement when Z Wilson strolls out as QB in week 1?

Sorry, but I’m not following. What backup plan do the Jets have that lets them move on and have everyone forget about Rodgers? Will Hackett, Lazard, and Jets Nation just forget this all happens and get giddy with excitement when Z Wilson strolls out as QB in week 1?
Yah, I am not super clear today.

I think if this deal falls apart, it's bad for both. I think the Jets have a less messy clean-up, because they only need to find a new QB.

Whereas the Packers, mom and dad got divorced, dad is gonna move in with his NYC dime piece, so mom moves in the nice guy, waiting in the wings. Now dad is moving back in. That seems messier to me.

The Jets don't have to do anything. They can easily roll out Wilson, Lamar Jackson or whoever. Fans won't like it, but they lose nothing. If GB has to bring back Rodgers, what a disaster that becomes. He won't show up for camp. He'll be grumpy and playing simply for the paycheck. They'll be mediocre like always with Kyrie Rodgers at the helm. The Jets have all the power at this stage. They don't have to pay GB's asking price, or frankly any asking price.

Well the NY sports media and Jets fans are known for being extremely forgiving and understanding, so they'll probably be fine with Carson Wentz or Matt Ryan instead of Aaron Rodgers.

Yah, I am not super clear today.

I think if this deal falls apart, it's bad for both. I think the Jets have a less messy clean-up, because they only need to find a new QB.

Whereas the Packers, mom and dad got divorced, dad is gonna move in with his NYC dime piece, so mom moves in the nice guy, waiting in the wings. Now dad is moving back in. That seems messier to me.
Got it, thanks for clarifying. I think it’s incredibly messy for both — just degrees of horrific badness. Pack would have tons of drama, but the Jets literally wouldn’t have a real QB. It would be a completely wasted season. Either way, their incentives are so aligned that this deal will get done.

but the Jets literally wouldn’t have a real QB. It would be a completely wasted season
That's what I thought about Geno Smith last year. Rodgers is their best option, by FAR. He's not their only option.

I think the Jets are the Packers only chance to unload Rodgers. That's why I said the Pack needs to blink. I'm not painting this as Jets are holding all the cards. They ran out and signed Lazard, now they kind of have to sign him. Frankly that was dumb.

Jets are obviously pot-committed, just gave 22 mill to Lazard over two years (geeez really?), if they give up anything more than a 2nd, Pack are winners, far as I am concerned.

I think part of this hold up is that the Pack want what they want, but the Jets know they are the only option left. So why should the Jets give up a first rounder?
you have it backwards.
The Pack know the Jets have no other options, and are all-in on Rodgers.
Why should the Pack not hold up the Jets for a huge payday?
The Pack is in no hurry to make a deal - but the Jets are just about in crisis mode.

Last edited:

but the Jets literally wouldn’t have a real QB. It would be a completely wasted season
That's what I thought about Geno Smith last year. Rodgers is their best option, by FAR. He's not their only option.

I think the Jets are the Packers only chance to unload Rodgers. That's why I said the Pack needs to blink. I'm not painting this as Jets are holding all the cards. They ran out and signed Lazard, now they kind of have to sign him. Frankly that was dumb.

I'm not so sure about that. At this point and time? Yes. But you don't think that if this falls through and training camp nears the Packers aren't making phone calls? The $58 mil due Rodgers isn't due until September. There's plenty of time to find another suitor. Will they get what the Jets were offering? Certainly not. But to say the only option left for the Packers is to bring back a disgruntled Rodgers isn't necessarily true. IIRC Rodgers doesn't have a no trade clause. They can trade him to another team without Rodgers blessing. Rodgers can threaten to retire instead but then the Packers don't owe him the $58 million.

The fact that the internet is divided on who has the leverage should pretty much tell you that neither team has the leverage. They are both painted into a corner. Which is why this will get done eventually.

The Packers reportedly want a first. The Jets reportedly are looking to give up something similar to what they gave up for Favre. I think it ends up being the Jets 2023 2nd rounder (and maybe a swap of 1st rounder) and a conditional 2024 3rd round pick based on how the Jets finish next year and and a conditional 2025 pick if Rodgers plays in 2024. I'll predict it gets done by the end of this month.

I'll also predict that Rodgers rebounds next year and is in the conversation for MVP. Rodgers is always at his best when he is pissed off.

you have it backwards.
The Pack is in hurry to make a deal - but the Jets are just about in crisis mode.
What are the Pack's other options. If I have it backwards, you need to explain why the Pack have options, but the Jets don't.

you have it backwards.
The Pack is in hurry to make a deal - but the Jets are just about in crisis mode.
Both teams should have already agreed to compensation weeks agoZ. It’s absurd.

you have it backwards.
What are the Pack's other options. If I have it backwards, you need to explain why the Pack have options, but the Jets don't.
Let Rodgers whine and cry. Cut him the day before week 1 and get nothing for him. Don’t give in to the tantrum.

Hoping Mims goes to the Packers in this deal.

Dude has been buried by the jets, and he’s the sort of WR GB seems to love. Hopefully Love loves him, too.

I just know he’s been dead weight for me for over a year on the team I took over and it’s time to let him loose!

For someone that values direct communication, Rodgers never sems to supply any. I thought it was rather funny (in a hypocritical way) to see him whining about the Packers lack of direct communication while crowing about how he tells sports reporters to lose his number, all in the same interview.

you have it backwards.
Both teams should have already agreed to compensation weeks agoZ. It’s absurd.
Pack probably want Garrett Wilson to be the stud WR for their new QB starter

PFF is pretty secretive about their WAR numbers, but I have this as a general number for a toov5ish QB. Cousins would have gad a pretty high WAR. I expect he added wins even if the team went backwards
In the case of Cousins, how can this be?
I'm just asking, not attacking your view, if that's not clear. Vikings lost wins after acquiring Cousins. A metric where the reverse is shown seems odd to me.
Other people played bad maybe. Could even just be luck. WAR is predicted wins

I'd love it if the Packers could get a 1st. If I'm the Jets, no way I'm paying that though. Just a few weeks ago Rodgers was 90% certain he would retire.

Users who are viewing this thread