What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (2 Viewers)

So I guess the only question that remains is how many questions into Rodgers' introductory press conference before he takes one of his passive aggressive jabs at Gutey? What's the over/under?

Aaron Nagler@AaronNagler
It’s crazy how much I’ve thought about this play today. Short week, no practice, down all of his top WRa, and old man
@AaronRodgers12
was still out there giving it everything. He’s got hundreds of highlights but I’ll always remember this play. Thanks 12.
Aaron Nagler@AaronNagler
Oct 29, 2021
I know he didn't get in. I know they didn't get points. I don't care. I love this ****ing play.
LINK to video

How are we feeling about the O/U on ARod in NY?

4100 PaYd, O/U?
35 PaTD O/U?
15 games started O/U?

ETA: I have no idea how Vegas has these. I just made these up.

i did some math on this. assume the jets run 65 plays a game x 17 = 1105 plays. offensive snaps. 65% is roughly 720. rodgers would have to miss 6 games and play 11 full.
Why look at average plays per game at all? Why not just do 65% of 17 games = 11.05 games.
You engineer and your spherical cows. Just let him do some math for no reason!

true, lol. but is it jet plays or game plays?

4100 PaYd, O/U?
35 PaTD O/U?
15 games started O/U?

no jet qb has ever thrown for more than 4100 yards nor exceeded 35 PaTD in a season.

i just want rodgers to have more than 31. can’t have ryan fitzpatrick hold the record.
But ARod has exceeded all of those metrics multiple times, and in the very recent past.

It’s an interesting question I think, because ARod is capable of exceeding those marks. Would the Jets bring in ARod to have a game manager while they run &’play defense?

Seems unlikely

4100 PaYd, O/U?
35 PaTD O/U?
15 games started O/U?

no jet qb has ever thrown for more than 4100 yards nor exceeded 35 PaTD in a season.

i just want rodgers to have more than 31. can’t have ryan fitzpatrick hold the record.
But ARod has exceeded all of those metrics multiple times, and in the very recent past.

It’s an interesting question I think, because ARod is capable of exceeding those marks. Would the Jets bring in ARod to have a game manager while they run &’play defense?

Seems unlikely
he is there to be rodgers, not a game manager, so you have to figure he exceeds both numbers. i mean, team history is nothing tangible that will affect his performance. i think it just tells you how bad the position has been in NY for 50+ years.

4100 PaYd, O/U?
35 PaTD O/U?
15 games started O/U?

Posted this on Jet thread....really shows how awful QB position has been for the Jets the last 50 yrs and what a huge upgrade this is....

Just to put in perspective - Rodgers "bad" season last year was

3,695 yds 26TDs 12 Ints 91.1 rating

That would be the 5th best season for a QB in Jets 50+ yr history - just behind:

2002 Chad Pennington 3,100 22/6 104
1998 Vinny Testaverde 3,250 29/7 101
1985 Kenny Obrien 3,888 25/8 96.2
2017 Josh Mcown 2,906 18/9 94.5

Also interesting was Favres one season - while hurt - Rodgers should easily beat

3,400 22/22 72

Did they pay a bit too much? possible - but based on the history of futility that is NYJ QBs Im absolutely fine with it. Easily the best QB to ever be a Jet. Im going to enjoy the ride...no matter how long it lasts!

After 50 yrs of mostly disaster Im thinking they are due for a magical season!
Generally 50 years of disaster would make a 51st the most realistic outcome.
Well the Cubs and Red Sox won it all after a 50+ yr drought so anything is possible!
This is football though. The Vikes still haven't won and it doesn't seem possible they will.
Yeah, the question probably isn’t whether the Jets are better with ARod - they pretty obviously are.

The question is whether the Jets are better than the Bills, Bengals, Chiefs or Eagles. Unfortunately for the Jets 3 of those elite teams are in their conference, so the road to the SB is a challenging one.

4100 PaYd, O/U?
35 PaTD O/U?
15 games started O/U?

Posted this on Jet thread....really shows how awful QB position has been for the Jets the last 50 yrs and what a huge upgrade this is....

Just to put in perspective - Rodgers "bad" season last year was

3,695 yds 26TDs 12 Ints 91.1 rating

That would be the 5th best season for a QB in Jets 50+ yr history - just behind:

2002 Chad Pennington 3,100 22/6 104
1998 Vinny Testaverde 3,250 29/7 101
1985 Kenny Obrien 3,888 25/8 96.2
2017 Josh Mcown 2,906 18/9 94.5

Also interesting was Favres one season - while hurt - Rodgers should easily beat

3,400 22/22 72

Did they pay a bit too much? possible - but based on the history of futility that is NYJ QBs Im absolutely fine with it. Easily the best QB to ever be a Jet. Im going to enjoy the ride...no matter how long it lasts!
2017 lol. i don’t even remember mccown.

There were a lot of very certain Jets fans, who were extremely confident they would be getting Rodgers for a 3rd round pick and Corey Davis.
Please link anyone saying that or GTFOOH with that nonsense. Look at the Jets thread. No one said this. Revisionist history on your part.

I will send you $100 if you link one post from a Jets fan saying that. Should be easy money right since a lot said it?
If I had the time, I could make some money. Jets fans extend beyond this site to social media and even NY media. There were some wild "Jets have the leverage" comments.

I'm generally happy for Jets fans. You'll likely get a year of Rodgers being determined, but his idiosyncrasies will definitely shine through. HavingHackett and Lazard both there will help. I do openly question Hackett's ability. LaFleur called the plays when he was in Green Bay. We saw what him doing it looked like in Denver.

For Green Bay, it was time. If Rodgers were 33 this would be a mess. He's 40 and has been considering retirement for the last 3 years. He's in a mid-life "finding himself" stage, so at any moment he could just decide to walk away. Packers have had Love in their building for 3 years. Time to see what he has. If it's not there, and the team underperforms, they will likely have a top 10 pick and a second first from this trade. Next year's qb class is stronger at the top with Williams and Maye.

question here i’ve been thinking is, would you rather give a 2 and conditional 1 for rodgers or the 2 1s and 2 2s plus players for R Wilson? 5 year age difference. cause if that package was fair for wilson, the deal for rodgers seems fair.
preface this by saying rodgers has to play more than 1 year.

question here i’ve been thinking is, would you rather give a 2 and conditional 1 for rodgers or the 2 1s and 2 2s plus players for R Wilson? 5 year age difference. cause if that package was fair for wilson, the deal for rodgers seems fair.
It’s an interesting question.

I’d take the Rodgers side. Russ looks more washed than ARod.

Plus as much of a weirdo as ARod is, Russell Wilson is just that much weirder. At least ARod’s teammates seemed to enjoy playing with him.

As for Russ, There was this…And this.

There was a bleacher report article about how much ARod’s coaches & staff and teammates disliked him, but later this piece seemed to debunk the teammates part.

Rodgers. Easy.

I think 2 years of Rodgers has a higher Super Bowl potential than 5 years of Wilson. If they go Wilson than some of those 2022 picks may not happen either. Sauce, Garrett, Breece are looking like huge wins right now too. Of the two deals, the Rodgers one will also be much easier to move on from with fewer long term impacts.

edit: hindsight plays a big factor here so there is a bias.

Last edited:

Aaron Rodgers said he's "just going to focus on this season" when asked about his long-term plans with the Jets.​

This will likely be the copy-and-paste answer we receive from Rodgers until he eventually retires. The 39-year-old quarterback has mulled retirement for the last several seasons and said earlier he was about 90 percent retired before heading into his darkness retreat. Rodgers joins a talented Jets team that finished with a 7-10 record last season despite having arguably the worst quarterback room in the league. With an up-and-coming defense and several offensive playmakers already on the roster, Rodgers could enjoy a bit of a career resurgence with the Jets. Rodgers is under contract through 2026, but it'd be surprising to see him play out the duration of his deal given the numerous times he's considered walking away.
SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter
Apr 26, 2023, 2:30 PM ET

I'd just like to chime and say I don't remember any Jets fans here (at least that I noticed, and I certainly include myself) saying that the Jets had the leverage. Didn't seem right. Seemed like they were dead set on one quarterback, which gave the other team the leverage once Carr and the others were signed. Unless we traded for Tannehill, it was Rodgers or bust.

I think everybody knew it, too, including the Packers.

So that hopefully settles the scuttlebutt that Is the leverage on this board/jurrassic thing.

There are some similarities but also so many differences its hard to compare the two deals. For me the main takeaway is that this trade sure seems like a win-win-win. The Packers got something for nothing, the Jets have a legit high likelihood of having a truly great QB for at least 2 seasons, and Rodgers gets to keep playing and not be part of a rebuild. So right now, sitting here in April, I think everyone should be happy and I see no reason to try to argue about someone winning or losing or it being a good or bad deal.

The other takeaway for me is - looking at the past few years alone - the Broncos, Browns, 49ers, Panthers among many others have shown the desparate lengths teams have to go to when they don't have a plan at this position. Even the Rams - they won a Lombardi so it paid off - but it took a highly improbable series of events and they are now back down in the dump. Some teams are giving up the farm on a hope and a prayer. For the Jets, getting a legit solution at this position for relatively cheap compensation seems like a steal in this context.

I had pretty mixed feelings about the Packers moving on from Rodgers but after today's Aaron Rodgers press conference I'm so done with him. His douchiness was on full display.

It was the Packers fault they couldn't reach him because he has poor cell service at his home? Come on Aaron. If you don't want to talk to them, just say it. There's nothing more to talk about. But give this BS story about how they should have face-timed you? If you have wifi to facetime, you have wifi for cell service.

And then he says he's going to show up at Jets off-season practice tomorrow when he couldn't do it with the Packers despite them paying him $50 mil? His narrative that he was all-in with the Packers but it was Gutey's fault cause he wasn't kind of falls apart. He's already put in more effort getting to know his new Jet's teammates than he did last year getting to know his new WRs last year.

He's all yours New York.

I had pretty mixed feelings about the Packers moving on from Rodgers but after today's Aaron Rodgers press conference I'm so done with him. His douchiness was on full display.

It was the Packers fault they couldn't reach him because he has poor cell service at his home? Come on Aaron. If you don't want to talk to them, just say it. There's nothing more to talk about. But give this BS story about how they should have face-timed you? If you have wifi to facetime, you have wifi for cell service.

And then he says he's going to show up at Jets off-season practice tomorrow when he couldn't do it with the Packers despite them paying him $50 mil? His narrative that he was all-in with the Packers but it was Gutey's fault cause he wasn't kind of falls apart. He's already put in more effort getting to know his new Jet's teammates than he did last year getting to know his new WRs last year.

He's all yours New York.

He's all theirs, and they're a Super Bowl contender now, like it (HIM) or not. To what degree? We'll see, but everything has changed now, no question.

Maybe not likely, but that ship just made a made a complete 180. Green Bay wasted SO many years with a talent like that, it's inexcusable, the mismanagement.

I'm no Jets fan, but good luck to them, they're on the right track and giving it a run. HUGE get.

Last edited:

Packers converted $58.3 million of Aaron Rodgers' 2023 option into 2024 salary prior to trading him to the Jets.​

As reported by ESPN's Dan Graziano, the conversion means Rodgers will earn $1.165 million this season with the Jets, and will be in line to earn $107.55 million next year. That's not a typo. While obviously a huge number, the Jets will look to restructure Rodgers' contract after this season, ensuring he gets the money he's owed while also working out a deal that's in their own best interest.

I said "there were a lot of Jets fans" no where did I mention this board.
So some nameless dope(s) (that you can't even be sure is really a Jets fan) said something outrageous on the internet. You showed them, buddy!!!

I was talking about rational people here - I mean I could say some nutty Packer fans were throwing out deals like 3 firsts and Sauce Gardner for Rodgers on Twitter - but Twitter is a cesspool so who cares?

No one here said anything close to that and you know it but just wanted to stir up **** and pretend you won. Great work!

Huge fan of Aaron Rodgers, idiosyncrasies included. When an athlete achieves elite status, I have no issue with them marching to the beat of their own drum, as long as they don't cause real, serious harm to others.

I have a rooting interest in the Packers to some degree. I think they could have built better teams around him, and had they done so, he'd probably still be a Packer and they'd have more Lombardi's. Good for them, though, getting a nice haul in the trade.

Good for the Jets. Love it any time when a Team takes their shot. While the price was steep, it wasn't crippling, if things don't work out. I bet they'll work out just fine, though.

'Work out' is a somewhat relative term, however. I don't think they gave up enough to need a Lombardi to justify the deal. Hard to expect that outcome, given the current state of the AFC. That is one steep hill to climb. Probably being a relevant playoff contender through Week 18, and possibly snagging a WC berth. Giving Zach Wilson an opportunity to develop while not having to carry the load, and him transition to the starting QB in 2 years are probably reasonable goals to strive for. They likely won't see a home playoff game in Rodgers term, but there are always surprises in this NFL. Maybe the magic kicks in, and they get lucky.

If I were a Jets fanatic, I'd be relatively optimistic and excited. What's not to like? I sure wouldn't be unhappy.

Dolphin fan here and I would take the under in all of those categories. The Jets are still likely to be a defensive team first, run the ball second, and have Favre Rodgers not cough up the ball (which is his forte in avoiding) and get them some big plays here and there. They are in position to make some noise in the AFC but there are 2 other good teams in the east, and all of the "other" monsters in the conference.

As a big Jets fan (and I think a pretty reasonable guy) my expectations are realistic, but optimistic.

The Jets have a very tough schedule on paper. Rodgers is not the player he was 5 years ago.

But they've added and presumably will add back a LOT. For good chunks of last year, the Jets were playing their 4th and 5th string tackles. Becton missed the entire season. AVT and Hall went down during the Denver game. Corey Davis (who may still be a cap casualty, but for now, he's on the team) missed several games. Elijah Moore gave them nothing for most of last year and has now been replaced by Lazard. I'm not a huge Hardman fan, but he's far more talented than the guy he's replacing (Berrios, who was AWFUL last year)

Considering what they did early in the year before the wheels truly fell off (Wilson went from "not productive but not killing us" to "worst QB in the league......losing AVT and Hall was a KILLER), I dont see why they can't make a run. The division and the conference are incredibly hard, but they beat Buffalo last year with Wilson throwing for 150 yards (and that was AFTER they lost Hall and AVT)

We obviously dont know the dates on the schedule yet (we know the teams, but who you play when certainly matters). But I would be relatively surprised (assuming reasonable health and Rodgers not being washed) if this team doesn't win 10 games. And I think they could do better. I dont believe the division is out of reach.

Huge fan of Aaron Rodgers, idiosyncrasies included. When an athlete achieves elite status, I have no issue with them marching to the beat of their own drum, as long as they don't cause real, serious harm to others.

I have a rooting interest in the Packers to some degree. I think they could have built better teams around him, and had they done so, he'd probably still be a Packer and they'd have more Lombardi's. Good for them, though, getting a nice haul in the trade.

Good for the Jets. Love it any time when a Team takes their shot. While the price was steep, it wasn't crippling, if things don't work out. I bet they'll work out just fine, though.

'Work out' is a somewhat relative term, however. I don't think they gave up enough to need a Lombardi to justify the deal. Hard to expect that outcome, given the current state of the AFC. That is one steep hill to climb. Probably being a relevant playoff contender through Week 18, and possibly snagging a WC berth. Giving Zach Wilson an opportunity to develop while not having to carry the load, and him transition to the starting QB in 2 years are probably reasonable goals to strive for. They likely won't see a home playoff game in Rodgers term, but there are always surprises in this NFL. Maybe the magic kicks in, and they get lucky.

If I were a Jets fanatic, I'd be relatively optimistic and excited. What's not to like? I sure wouldn't be unhappy.
I suppose I should defer to Jets fans on this, but I would be surprised if their bar is that low. I know they've been bad for a long time, but that's a LOT to give up to just get into the top ~1/2 of the league (for a relatively short time). I would guess expectations are higher.

I suppose I should defer to Jets fans on this, but I would be surprised if their bar is that low. I know they've been bad for a long time, but that's a LOT to give up to just get into the top ~1/2 of the league (for a relatively short time). I would guess expectations are higher.

Yeah, at this point....they're clearly pushing "all in".

Hope and expectation are 2 different things. I expect they'll be in the playoffs. I HOPE that they'll be right in the mix to win the division and secure a home game. And I dont think that's unrealistic. If they win 11 games and Buffalo wins 12 (not saying that's my prediction, just making up numbers) I can live with that. If that's the case, they're clearly still good enough to go on the road and win.

"possibly snagging a wild card berth" (especially now that there's an extra WC team) would not be this process working, IMO. That's like 9 wins.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
Hidden cost of the Aaron Rodgers trade -- Jets lose out on a tackle they might have coveted, in Broderick Jones.

Rich Cimini @RichCimini
OT Broderick Jones to the Steelers at 14. The downside to the Rodgers trade was dropping two spots. Probably cost the #Jets a quality OLM.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
Hidden cost of the Aaron Rodgers trade -- Jets lose out on a tackle they might have coveted, in Broderick Jones.

Rich Cimini @RichCimini
OT Broderick Jones to the Steelers at 14. The downside to the Rodgers trade was dropping two spots. Probably cost the #Jets a quality OLM.
Complete and utter speculation as usual - Saleh said the Jets would have taken their guy at 13 regardless - probable coach speak but its just as credible as these bogus reports.

As far as the trade articles - Breer's was very insightful - definitely seems to be based on way more facts than usual. I think all Jets fans were ok with the deal but were just hoping for more protections than the 65% - my take is that Rodgers gave them assurances that hes not a one and done. If he plays 2 or more years than its totally worth it. He's certainly acting like hes happy to be in NY - just need to win some games and stay healthy!

Aaron Rodgers appeared to suffer an ankle injury during OTAs.

Jets beat writers said Rodgers, 39, was seen limping toward the sideline and later spoke with the team's strength coach. SNY's Connor Hughes said Rodgers may have "tweaked something" during team drills. It doesn't appear to be a long-term issue, though it will be worth monitoring as offseason workouts continue.
SOURCE: Justin Walters on Twitter
May 23, 2023 at 11:57 AM ET

CBS' Josina Anderson reports Aaron Rodgers suffered a strained calf at OTAs.

"It’s considered minor as of now. The anticipation is he should be back fairly quick," Anderson writes. There shouldn't be any real concern over Rodgers, but him missing time in OTAs on a new team probably also isn't ideal. We wouldn't be surprised if he missed a few more practices.
SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter
May 23, 2023 at 2:21 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread