What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brock Purdy, SF (1 Viewer)

You can drop all the nuggets you want. If people aren’t sold on him by now, they never will be. Same thing happened with Brady early in his career. My brother will go to his grave thinking Brady (the system QB) is the most overrated QB ever. It’s not based on any type of reasonable logic at all. Same with the Purdy haters.

You can drop all the nuggets you want. If people aren’t sold on him by now, they never will be. Same thing happened with Brady early in his career. My brother will go to his grave thinking Brady (the system QB) is the most overrated QB ever. It’s not based on any type of reasonable logic at all. Same with the Purdy haters.

I thought Brady was overrated too. And then he won a Super Bowl in Tampa, and the Patriots devolved into a dumpster fire. I was massively wrong.

Purdy isn’t Brady - nobody is - but at this point it’s beyond silly for people to dog Purdy and act like he’s a subpar QB. A dozen teams (or more) would LOVE to have this guy as a starter…..

I thought Brady was overrated too. And then he won a Super Bowl in Tampa, and the Patriots devolved into a dumpster fire. I was massively wrong.

Purdy isn’t Brady - nobody is - but at this point it’s beyond silly for people to dog Purdy and act like he’s a subpar QB. A dozen teams (or more) would LOVE to have this guy as a starter…..
I think it’s probably way more than a dozen.

I think it’s probably way more than a dozen.
Yeah, I was just too lazy to go through and count. (Thus the phrase “or more”!)

I don't know why it has to be one or the other. Purdy is a solid QB, in a system that perfectly complements his skill set, with the best supporting cast in the NFL. Ideally every team works this way, and not the Buffalo way, where you have a HOF-talent basically willing the offense to work.
The haters are just jealous. There's no other logical reason at this point.

I’m realistic:

Mahomes is in his own tier, he’s out of the conversation as it stands today.

I had Allen in the next tier, but something is just off this season. Burrow who just can’t seem to stay healthy, we’ll see what an aging Rogers comes back with. Tua has been fantastic when healthy these last 2 seasons. Hurts at times looks elite. Lamar, (but he’ll be out of the league in 4-5 seasons tops) has been putting in solid work this year. Dak is Jeckell & Hyde to me, something I don’t want out of a QB, you just don’t know who is going to show up on any given Sunday.

I can throw Brock and what he’s done the last 2 seasons into the previous paragraph, just my .02.

I’m realistic:

I had Allen in the next tier, but something is just off this season. Burrow who just can’t seem to stay healthy, we’ll see what an aging Rogers comes back with. Tua has been fantastic when healthy these last 2 seasons. Hurts at times looks elite. Lamar, (but he’ll be out of the league in 4-5 seasons tops) has been putting in solid work this year. Dak is Jeckell & Hyde to me, something I don’t want out of a QB, you just don’t know who is going to show up on any given Sunday.

I can throw Brock and what he’s done the last 2 seasons into the previous paragraph, just my .02.
IMO Allen and Burrows are in another tier beyond the rest of the guys in your paragraph there. Otherwise I generally agree. I think incredibly highly of Hurts, but you could make many of the same arguments that people are making regarding Purdy as to Hurts too (inconsistent; carried by an elite supporting cast).

I’m realistic:

I don't want to start a whole thread about it, but I think Josh Allen is maybe the most underrated player in the NFL, and also the best player in the NFL. I think what he does with zero help from play calling, a below average OL, and an average supporting cast, is incredible. I don't care about the turnovers at all, because its the tradeoff for the big plays. I think every single team in the NFL would be better if Josh Allen was their QB, and Buffalo would be in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes even with someone like Purdy, Tua, or Lawrence. I firmly believe if Allen were the 49ers QB they'd be undefeated, as would Dallas, Miami, Baltimore, or Detroit if they had him. Only Mahomes in KC does even close to as much (still less due to Reid) as Allen does for his team.

None of this is meant to demean any of Purdy, Lawrence etc. but Allen impresses me in a Collinsworth/Mahomes kinda way. Its like watching evolutionary John Elway, and I feel like its being taken for granted because Buffalo is mediocre.

Anyway, back to Purdy, I think its probably gonna be year 3 where we get a real read on how good he is. He's clearly improved from year 1 to year 2, he does have a somewhat limited arm, but is there another jump from year 2 to year 3, because if there is, then he'll be a top-5 guy. I don't think he's there yet, but he's on track.

I’m realistic:

I don't want to start a whole thread about it, but I think Josh Allen is maybe the most underrated player in the NFL, and also the best player in the NFL. I think what he does with zero help from play calling, a below average OL, and an average supporting cast, is incredible. I don't care about the turnovers at all, because its the tradeoff for the big plays. I think every single team in the NFL would be better if Josh Allen was their QB, and Buffalo would be in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes even with someone like Purdy, Tua, or Lawrence. I firmly believe if Allen were the 49ers QB they'd be undefeated, as would Dallas, Miami, Baltimore, or Detroit if they had him. Only Mahomes in KC does even close to as much (still less due to Reid) as Allen does for his team.

None of this is meant to demean any of Purdy, Lawrence etc. but Allen impresses me in a Collinsworth/Mahomes kinda way. Its like watching evolutionary John Elway, and I feel like its being taken for granted because Buffalo is mediocre.

Anyway, back to Purdy, I think its probably gonna be year 3 where we get a real read on how good he is. He's clearly improved from year 1 to year 2, he does have a somewhat limited arm, but is there another jump from year 2 to year 3, because if there is, then he'll be a top-5 guy. I don't think he's there yet, but he's on track.
Nice post. Sums up how I feel about Purdy. And Allen.

I'm not a huge fan of him, but you can't dispute what he's doing this year. Just a nerdy guy that seems solid week in and week out like Tim Duncan.

Brock Purdy has been the most accurate deep passer in the NFL this season.

Completion% on 20+ yard throws:

1. Purdy: 64.1%
2. Stroud: 58.3%
3. Goff: 54.8%
4. Prescott: 53.6%
5. Tagovailoa: 53.3%

Purdy on deep throws this season:

25-39, 64.1%, 790 yards, 9 TD, 1 INT, 20.2 yards per attempt

#1 deep TD passes
#1 in completion rate
#1 in YPA

How much fun it must be for a fan base to hit on what is typically a throw away pick. You can’t measure his value on his stats alone, but his draft capital and minuscule contract make him one of the most valuable players in the NFL. Cudos to the 9ers, and enjoy the ride 9ers fans.
Especially considering all the draft capital they used to trade up for Lance.

One of the best LT’s of all-time is a fan, which is nothing new - he’s been pumping him up since he took over at the position - and he had a lot more to say about Brock recently. One of Trent’s quotes:

“In locker rooms,” Williams said, “guys that know football, guys who study us before they play us, there’s no way you can look at him and say that’s a system quarterback. When you watch the throws he makes, when you watch him make it under pressure. … I think this guy is made of the right stuff. Every time he approaches Sunday, you (can) tell it’s the most important game in his life and he treats every week that way. His success is not a secret, and it damn sure ain’t got nothing to do with the system.”

Brock Purdy has been the most accurate deep passer in the NFL this season.

Completion% on 20+ yard throws:

1. Purdy: 64.1%
2. Stroud: 58.3%
3. Goff: 54.8%
4. Prescott: 53.6%
5. Tagovailoa: 53.3%

Purdy on deep throws this season:

25-39, 64.1%, 790 yards, 9 TD, 1 INT, 20.2 yards per attempt

#1 deep TD passes
#1 in completion rate
#1 in YPA

Impressive for a checkdown-system qb. That 54 yard check-down TD to Deebo was definitely carried by Deebo's 15 YAC on that play.

I’m realistic:

I was with you until Lawrence. He might be better than Allen.

I’m realistic:

Lawrence isnt even in my top 10

I’m realistic:

Mine either. Lawrence>Allen is like saying Tampa>San Fran in my opinion. I don't think Lawrence does anything as well as Allen does.

I'd take Purdy over Lawrence, and certainly Tua over Lawrence.

Checkdown merchant? Keep dreaming.

Percentage of pass attempts thrown at or behind the line of scrimmage with NFL rank (from highest to lowest):

1. Russell Wilson - 34.7%
2. Justin Fields - 31.8%
3. Joe Burrow - 29.9%
T-4. Tua Tagovailoa - 29.2%
T-4. Patrick Mahomes - 29.2%

29. Brock Purdy - 20.4%

Purdy is also the league leader in air yards per attempt and it's not really close, has almost half a yard per attempt over Tua and Stroud and over half a yard over everyone else. (I'm not counting Mike White's or Easton Stick in this as they've attempted 4 and 13 passes.

He's the most accurate QB in the league while attempting the deepest passes. I don't think that's properly sinking in for people.

I’m realistic:

Oh dear Lord

What has his arm limited him from doing?

I’m realistic:

Oh dear Lord
What about Lawrence's 91 qb rating impresses you? The guy has taken a serious step back this year.

Brock Purdy’s completion percentage on deep passes (20+ yards) is, by far, the highest PFF has ever recorded from a qualifying QB.

Most seasons, the leader is under 50%. The previous high water mark: 2022 Tua Tagovailoa, 54.5%.

2023 Brock Purdy: 65.9%

Link

Is a "deep pass" a pass that goes 20+ yards in the air or does that include 5 yard dumps to CMC and Deebo that then go for 50-100 yards?

I am not trying to diss Purdy, I would vote for him over any other QB this year, just trying to understand if this is a meaningful stat or a "PFF stat".

Is a "deep pass" a pass that goes 20+ yards in the air or does that include 5 yard dumps to CMC and Deebo that then go for 50-100 yards?

I am not trying to diss Purdy, I would vote for him over any other QB this year, just trying to understand if this is a meaningful stat or a "PFF stat".
How could it be the latter? That wouldn't make any sense. How would you call something an incomplete deep pass (the denominator in the calculation) if it was a 5 yard dump off?

I don't know how PFF defines it but according to AWS next gen stats Purdy is 2nd in the NFL in Avg. Completed Air Yards and 1st in Avg. Air Yards Differential.

Percentage of pass attempts thrown at or behind the line of scrimmage with NFL rank (from highest to lowest):

2. Justin Fields - 31.8%
3. Joe Burrow - 29.9%

29. Brock Purdy - 20.4%

Purdy is also the league leader in air yards per attempt and it's not really close, has almost half a yard per attempt over Tua and Stroud and over half a yard over everyone else. (I'm not counting Mike White's or Easton Stick in this as they've attempted 4 and 13 passes.

He's the most accurate QB in the league while attempting the deepest passes. I don't think that's properly sinking in for people.
Next Gen Stats has him at 11th in intended air yards per attempt. Is that different than the stat you are citing?

2. Justin Fields - 31.8%
3. Joe Burrow - 29.9%

29. Brock Purdy - 20.4%

Know what? Let the dullards question and haters hate. We’ll start Purdy and win a fantasy trophy this season.

Still giddy that some dope dropped him during the Trent/deebo injury stretch and I got him for free. I’m laughing to the playoffs.

2. Justin Fields - 31.8%
3. Joe Burrow - 29.9%

29. Brock Purdy - 20.4%

Next Gen Stats has him at 11th in intended air yards per attempt. Is that different than the stat you are citing?
Interesting difference.

I got my info here: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

Perhaps the info I got is just based on passes that are actually caught?

2. Justin Fields - 31.8%
3. Joe Burrow - 29.9%

29. Brock Purdy - 20.4%

Interesting difference.

I got my info here: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

Perhaps the info I got is just based on passes that are actually caught?
Here is what I was looking at. I find trying to search for these stats as a layperson sort of exasperating.

It’s getting pretty silly to see anyone argue that Purdy isn’t statistically very very good. Plus there is his outstanding career win-loss record.

I think the argument is that he's statistically very very good because he's surrounded by elite talent and in a great system (and not because he's a very very good quarterback). Which, to be fair, can often be a difficult thing to tease out. Would he be statistically the best QB in the league if he was on a different team? Depends what team you put him on, but probably not. Would some other QBs be able to produce at the level he's producing right now if they were on SF? Maybe. It's impossible to answer. Joe Montana might not have won 4 Super Bowls if he'd been drafted by someone else, too. Jalen Hurts wouldn't have double-digit rushing TDs every year if he wasn't lining up behind the Eagles O-line. It is what it is, football is a TEAM sport more than any of the other major US sports.

But right now Brock Purdy is playing at an elite level. You can throw around all the numbers you want but all you really have to do is watch the games to see that he just gets it.

More goodies:

For the season, Purdy is 7-of-13 for 351 yards with three touchdown passes and no interceptions on passes traveling at least 30 yards in the air. And while those 13 attempts are only tied for 20th in the NFL (49ers also have the fewest pass attempts in the league), his seven completions are tied for the sixth-most because his 53.8% completion rate on such throws leads the league.

Despite an outside narrative that Purdy takes dump-offs and checkdowns for most of his passing yards, the numbers don't support that notion. Only 20.4% of Purdy's pass attempts have been at or behind the line of scrimmage, the second-lowest mark in the league.

In those numbers is the revelation that Shanahan has inherent trust in Purdy to cut it loose more than any quarterback hes had since arriving in 2017. Before this season, the Niners' most 30-plus yard attempts in a season was 2022, when Jimmy Garoppolo tried 12 such deep shots. Garoppolo went 1-of-12.

What's more, from 2017 through 2022, Garoppolo was 6-of-40 with two touchdowns and six interceptions on throws traveling 30-plus air yards. Purdy already has more completions and touchdowns in just 13 games this season.

for the Niners the deep ball isn't so much about quantity as it is quality. Purdy is in the middle of the pack in terms of pass attempts at the 20- and 30-plus air yard marks but still ranks near the top of the league in completions because of his accuracy.

For the season, Purdy is fourth in completions on throws traveling 10-plus air yards (79) and 15-plus air yards (51) and fifth in completions on throws traveling 20-plus air yards (24). That's a product of Purdy ranking second in completion percentage on throws of 10-plus air yards and first in completion rate on 15- and 20-plus yard throws. He is seventh in the NFL in air yards per attempt (7.9) while comfortably ranking first in yards per attempt (9.9), yards per completion (14.1) and yards per drop back (8.8).

Almost 30 yards per attempt screams regression. 50 yards a completion lol. This guy does a great job delivering the ball to his elite down the field athletes for sure. He’s a good find no doubt

Also, he apparently didn't have full feeling in his arm post surgery til "about halfway through the season". Just nuts.

"On @KNBR this a.m., Brock Purdy said he talked w/ Nick Mullens before the season to talk about their elbow surgeries. Mullens said his arm might not feel entirely normal until halfway through season. "He was right," Purdy said. "Halfway through the year, my arm feels great now."

Maybe there's something to this about his arm not feeling normal, did a quick look at the stats for the splits, using week 8 as the "halfway through the year" mark.
First Half Opponents: PIT, LAR, NYG, ARI, DAL, CLE, MIN, CIN
Second Half Opponents: JAX, TB, SEA, PHI, SEA

Record​
Completions​
Attempts​
Comp %​
Yards​
Yards/Game​
TD​
TD/Game​
INT​
INT/Game​