What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB By Committee in 1 QB leagues (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
There is a current article by FBG discussing the merits of this bold strategy.

Back in the day I used to do exactly this, with mixed results. I would maximize value everywhere, then try to pair up the 13th/14th best QBs, provided BYE weeks matched up, and voila - off to the races.

I made the playoffs a few times employing this strategy, and I also managed to pick the wrong QB to start about 60% of the time. On paper I chose the correct matchups. Sadly, games are not played on paper, and with low-end QBs, there's even less room for losing points by picking the wrong one.

Another risk is suffering a run on backup QBs, which happened to me one year. I waited just a little too long to grab my QBs, and 5 of my 6 targets vanished. It was a stomach turning moment in the draft.

Have you tried employing a QBBC strategy? If so, how did it work out for you? Would you consider doing it this year?

On paper I chose the correct matchups. Sadly, games are not played on paper, and with low-end QBs, there's even less room for losing points by picking the wrong one.
This is what happens to me everytime I do it. Drive myself crazy when the guy I benched scored 5 pts more than my starter, despite the Start/Sit rankings and advice all said go with the guy that I did.

I'm firmly in the mindset of getting a guy from the Kyler/Burrow/Hurts/Wilson/Dak tier this year. I'll try and fade the run and jump in at the end of that tier but I'll reach a round earlier if I suspect a run. Not going to pay up for a top 4 guy, but I'm done with being the last guy to take one like the old days because this is guaranteed to happen:
Another risk is suffering a run on backup QBs, which happened to me one year. I waited just a little too long to grab my QBs, and 5 of my 6 targets vanished. It was a stomach turning moment in the draft.
too many years of being the last guy to take one, thinking "well it's only the 11th I'll wait one more round" and then bam 3-4 backups go and I'm left with Cutler/Tannehill/Fitzmagic as my starter and sacrificing 8-10 pts a week at QB. That 9th round flex option I opted for over the QB9 isn't making up that difference.

So no QBBC for me, I'll take the mid-tier guy everytime. Kudos to those that pull it off but I don't have the stomach for it.

I've done this on on and off depending on how the draft falls since 1999 when I first became aware of the concept at FBG (Cheatsheets.net at the time?).
I don't like having to guess the right QB every week though.

I still remember the best this ever turned out for me in 2000 when I drafted Gannon, Garcia, and Griese all later in the draft. Garcia ended up leading all QB's in fantasy points, Gannon was #3, Griese started off hot before he got injured and finished with the highest passer rating in the league. Funny side note, Elvis Grbac had a great season too, big year for the G's.

This year, I just waited until all the other teams filled their starting QB spot in a guillotine league and then later took Jameis and Goff. Hopefully they can at least keep me from getting eliminated for a few weeks until I pick up a better QB from an eliminated team. 🤞

Last edited:
Never works for me. Like never. Maybe 1 week every season I pick right.

But I keep waiting on QBs cause I'm RB/WR crazy. Then I look at my roster after the draft and see I'll be rolling out late career Jeff George and Chad Pennington after his shoulder injury. Yay me.

I'll try and fade the run and jump in at the end of that tier but I'll reach a round earlier if I suspect a run. Not going to pay up for a top 4 guy, but I'm done with being the last guy to take one like the old days because this is guaranteed to happen:
That's exactly where I'm at these days. I aim for the 8-11th QB off the board and hope an upside guy falls there. I like having that set it and forget it reliable starter.

Tried this with Stafford and Luck several years ago. I started the wrong guy 11 out of 13 times.
One year, at a very alcohol soaked redraft party for a league that disbanded a few years back, one of the fellas spent picks 1.12 & 2.01 on Peyton Manning & Tom Brady. I think it was 2005.

We all thought he was going to try to trade one. Nope.

And amazingly the dude managed to start the correct QB every week. It was uncanny. He didn't make the playoffs, but he did successfully stream QBs.
:)

I prefer to start the QB run so I can scoop up value at other positions while people scramble for what remains......who wants to be stuck with Winston/Tua/Goff? No thanks!

Last edited:
I prefer to start the QB run so I can scoop up value at other positions while people scramble for what remains......who wants to be stuck with Winston/Tua/Goff? No thanks!
If well executed this year, I could see a Cousins/Tua, or Carr/Cousins duo working out.

If one picks the correct weekly matchups.

It’s a gamble - the payoff is an extra WR & RB over your competition. Maybe even a TE advantage. 2 more potential upside darts to throw, or trade bait.

The risk is as I described above.

Definitely a gambler’s strategy. Maybe better suited to auctions where the risk is overpaying rather than missing out due to an unexpected run.

I've found that rather than ponying up for that second streaming qb, you're almost always better off taking an upside skill player and hunting for your backup qb on the waiver. Sure you might be starting Goff the first few weeks until you find a new scrub to throw in there but if your 13th round long shot hits imagine how psyched you would be.

Tough to do now the way some of the top QBs are scoring. Unless it's a large league where RBs/WRs will be very scarce, I think you need to target a midround QB. Aim to draft in the range of QB4-QB9.

I think you need to target a midround QB. Aim to draft in the range of QB4-QB9.
I’ll add to this that after taking such a QB, I tend to relax a little, knowing I have an upside QB, and don’t really have to stress about the position for the rest of the draft. it’s freeing to watch everyone else get into a standoff over who’s gonna take the latest scrub knowing you have it locked down. Let them all fight over the scraps

don’t like it. I’ll never choose correctly. And I agree with the comfortable feeling HSG mentioned when you get that top 8 QB you hoped would be there in the 7th.

I’m at the 1 slot in my only redraft league an I’m currently thinking that if one of the top 3 QBs (Allen, Mahomes, Herbert) is magically there at the 4/5 turn (they won’t be) then I’ll break all historical trends at take a QB there. Otherwise, the 6/7 is where I’m hoping a top 8-ish QB will still be there. Our league is not SF (obviously) and it‘s a bunch of work buddies who’ve been in the league for over 25 years, so its a mix of “draft QBs way early” and “wait forever for a QB”. I’m gonna try to split the uprights this year.

Otherwise, the 6/7 is where I’m hoping a top 8-ish QB will still be there
Even better in the 8/9
;)

Ha.
That’s what I historically do. This year I’m bucking the trend and drafting QB “early” at the 6/7 turn.
(I’ll 10000000% take a QB at the 7.1 pick and NOT the 6.12 pick just to be able to convince myself I waited til the 7th :wink: it’s not just me, right?)

I thought I'd try it in my main league way back in 2006. It was a QBBC of three that was suggested by an article on FBG. My leaguemates mocked me for it. Turns out they weren't wrong. A few weeks into the season I ditched it (it wasn't working), traded for Carson Palmer, and won the 'ship. Lesson learned. Interesting idea in theory, but in practice, especially from other posts I'm seeing here, maybe not as effective.

Of course, Aaron Brooks I believe was the main anchor of the trio, which to this day I still contend was the *real* problem with it. :lmao:

I'd play the wire with them if I were ever going to try that. Outside covering bye, I don't even remember the last time I rostered 2 QBs. Usually just spare self the headache and grab 1 that can run in the Round 6-8 range this year & start.

The only 1QB league I have is my long-running keeper league. Due to the small starting lineup size (7 + K + DST) and boosted QB scoring (bonuses for yardage milestones and per completion), I used to routinely try take an elite QB early (Brees, P Manning were cheat codes).
The past few years I've tried late round QB/streaming but found myself at a disadvantage too often because the floor and upside of QBBC types is so much lower (sometimes giving up 15+ points when the league weekly scoring average is around 100). So I will be targeting an elite option early and potentially take an upside backup later to have as a keeper if he hits.

Well I waited on a QB... maybe too long. Starting Trey Lance week 1 as a result. I can make equal arguments for either a jackpot coming my way, or I will be streaming QBs starting week 2 (as Trey Lance then goes off). :P

Well I waited on a QB... maybe too long. Starting Trey Lance week 1 as a result. I can make equal arguments for either a jackpot coming my way, or I will be streaming QBs starting week 2 (as Trey Lance then goes off). :P
As Lance SF dynasty shareholder I’m hoping for the former.

I generally take the committee approach, due to win rate being so minimal for top QBs. Unlike the TE position, if you drafted Josh Allen or Pat Mahomes you had a 9-10% win rate in return because the players you passed on in the 3rd/4th round were probably higher caliber players. Herbert, Brady, Kirk Cousins and Matt Stafford all ended with a equal to or above win rate of the "top 2 guys" and were had round 8 and beyond.

I'm not so sure it is about QBBC as it is taking a risk (think Tua, Trey Lance, Trevor Lawrence) and then taking a safer type pick (Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, Brady in some cases).

I'd rather build a team I'm confident in at RB/WR/TE because that will free up a roster spot for a QBBC approach. Versus taking a QB too early.

I'm not so sure it is about QBBC as it is taking a risk (think Tua, Trey Lance, Trevor Lawrence) and then taking a safer type pick (Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, Brady in some cases).
This is generally my approach. Take a semi-stud QB in the 8-11th round range, and an upside backup like a Tua/Fields/etc.

True QBBC usually involves only taking those secondary options & playing the matchups.

I much prefer the former. This year I’m rockin Russ Wilson in the 8th, and whatever‘s clever when his BYE week hits.

Last edited:
This is generally my approach. Take a semi-stud QB in the 8-11th round range, and an upside backup like a Rua/Fields/etc.

True QBBC usually involves only taking those secondary options & playing the matchups.

I much prefer the former. This year I’m rockin Russ Wilson in the 8th, and whatever‘a clever when his BYE week hits.
I think it's absolutely possible that one of those young QB's hit big. Unlikely it is Trey Lance, since I'm rostering him but do find Tua, Lawrence and Field intriguing. Tua especially, both his receivers are going top 45 picks and Tua can be had in the last round of the draft. Either Tyreek and Waddle are going to suck or Tua is going to outperform his ADP by quite a bit.

There is a current article by FBG discussing the merits of this bold strategy.

Back in the day I used to do exactly this, with mixed results. I would maximize value everywhere, then try to pair up the 13th/14th best QBs, provided BYE weeks matched up, and voila - off to the races.

I made the playoffs a few times employing this strategy, and I also managed to pick the wrong QB to start about 60% of the time. On paper I chose the correct matchups. Sadly, games are not played on paper, and with low-end QBs, there's even less room for losing points by picking the wrong one.

Have you tried employing a QBBC strategy? If so, how did it work out for you? Would you consider doing it this year?

It works to the extent that I pickup two qb with upside value and either one hits and the other gets dropped or traded. There’s always late round qb that emerges like Brady or Lamar or hurts or mahomes or Allen and has a breakout year. It doesn’t work to the extent that you can predict matches and who will go off. I’d say it has worked enough for me for it to merit waiting as long as I can for qb. Usually these qbs stand above all the other rb and wrs during these late rounds and are easier to identify then the rb wr sleepers in that round.

If I see two value qbs late that I can obtain easily then I’ll do it. Otherwise if I see a value qb drop to round 5-7 then I may take a qb then as it isn’t as devastating once you have 2 rb 2 wr te and one flex filled already. Also depends on whether I go te early. Te early then more likely to wait on qb as I am weaker at rb and wr.

It works to the extent that I pickup two qb with upside value and either one hits and the other gets dropped or traded. There’s always late round qb that emerges like Brady or Lamar or hurts or mahomes or Allen and has a breakout year. It doesn’t work to the extent that you can predict matches and who will go off. I’d say it has worked enough for me for it to merit waiting as long as I can for qb. Usually these qbs stand above all the other rb and wrs during these late rounds and are easier to identify then the rb wr sleepers in that round.

If I see two value qbs late that I can obtain easily then I’ll do it. Otherwise if I see a value qb drop to round 5-7 then I may take a qb then as it isn’t as devastating once you have 2 rb 2 wr te and one flex filled already. Also depends on whether I go te early. Te early then more likely to wait on qb as I am weaker at rb and wr.

yeah, I think many here do this, I.e. wait as long as possible on QB, take 2 QBs you think might hit big, and ride the best one the whole year.
which is different than QBBC which is intentionally picking a pair of QBs who you think have complimentary schedules where you’ll switch starters all year based on matchups.

I’m like you…the latter approach.
And, like you, l‘m not for the QBBC approach.

So four leagues drafted with this strategy. Soonest I picked QB was 5th round. Usually after a lot of other people picked. We'll see how this strategy works this year but feeling pretty good.

18 man - rnd 5 - Tom Brady - no backup (guillotine)
18 man - rnd 8 Trevor Lawrence / rnd 11 Mac Jones (guillotine)
10 man - rnd 8 Jalen Hurts / rnd 11 Russell Wilson
12 man - rnd 7 Tom Brady / rnd 11 Derek Carr

Generally, I pickup guys whose situation improves like Carr / Wilson. Or guys who are perpetually undervalued like Brady. Do not feel good about Lawrence and Jones but I think they are good enough to not get me last place for now and I'll play the matchup. Other upside guys I'd look at would be Trey Lance / James Winston. Other reliable guys that go late are Stafford (due to injection), Cousins (undervalued), Matt Ryan (great O-line, better team).

Users who are viewing this thread