What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jalen Hurts, PHI (1 Viewer)

One QB leagues,  i view him as a mid-second right now. Would only prefer him to Lindsay and Irv. The second would be a push depending where it lands.

Last edited by a moderator:
One QB leagues,  i view him as a mid-second right now. Would only prefer him to Lindsay and Irv. The second would be a push depending where it lands.
That is about where I am at, as well.  There is still some uncertainty surrounding the Philly offense for next season, so I am not looking to buy upward trending shares of Hurts.  I am, however, a seller if the market is right.  After Hurts' explosion this week, I am hopeful that there may be some dynasty managers willing to pay top dollar to secure him for 2021.  If I cannot fetch a decent price, I am happy to hold and let this play out.

Jalen Hurts or Dak Prescott?

Jalen Hurts or Phillip Lindsay?

Jalen Hurts or James Robinson?

Jalen Hurts or Jerry Jeudy?

Jalen Hurts or Kenny Golladay?

Jalen Hurts or T.J. Hockenson?

Jalen Hurts or Irv Smith Jr.?

Jalen Hurts or a 2021 2nd round rookie pick?  Late first?
Bolded is the way I'd go with Hurts for a second and Irv being equitable to me but two things of note that are key is this assumes one QB start leagues and I'd add on the TE's I mainly play TE premium and really struggle with TE value in non-premium leagues. But of course Hockenson emerged this year and I anticipate Irv taking a major jump soon and he won't turn 23 until training camp next year, he looks to me like an Jordan Reed level talent without the injury issues. I edited this to add I'd take Irv over Hurts in TE premium, probably more equal to me in non TE-premium.

I went on a big buying spree when Hurts was named the starter and at the time I bought him on teams that had  Mahomes/Herbert, Watson/Herbert, Mahomes/Dak/Taysom and Watson/Brady. Every other league of mine he was already on a roster before being named the starter.

These are all one start QB, FFPC rules leagues and except for that last team with Brady as the QB2 he'd be my projected QB3 on the other teams. In FFPC, with 14 position player off season cuts I'm not huge on carrying two QB's and sure can't carry 3 so I'm going to need to  rid myself of at least one QB in these leagues and Hurts is the one I'd like to move the most. I only picked him up really as goal one to block other teams who might need a QB and as trade bait so I'm pretty happy with the purchase even thought I never used him as of yet, never considered him over Mahomes but debated him over Watson up until kickoff.

Anyway I assume these next two games will heavily impact his market but based on what I've seen so far when I start making my trade offers I will ask for stuff like a mid second, Hurts with a second for a future or current first, Hurts and another player for an upgraded player is the kind of deals I'll be seeking.

It might be a situation when looking to trade him that it's necessary to wait for a possible Wentz trade to go down first to give people more confidence to pay anything the asking price so I'm prepared to be patient since these leagues don't require us to trim our offseason roster until after most free agents sign when I believe a trade would happen for Wentz if it happens at all(and I think it does).

Eagles head coach Doug Pederson said Jalen Hurts will start in Week 16 against the Cowboys. 

Pederson wouldn't commit to Hurts as the team's Week 16 starter right after Hurts threw for 338 yard and three touchdowns -- adding 63 yards and a score on the ground -- against the Cardinals. Pederson decided to go with the blossoming rookie over the broken veteran this week against the Cowboys. Far more than a rushing quarterback, Hurts' dual-threat potential makes him a potential fantasy league winner in Week 16 against the porous Dallas defense. 

RELATED: 

Carson Wentz

SOURCE: Martin Frank on Twitter 

Dec 21, 2020, 12:33 PM ET

I went on a big buying spree when Hurts was named the starter and at the time I bought him on teams that had  Mahomes/Herbert, Watson/Herbert, Mahomes/Dak/Taysom and Watson/Brady. Every other league of mine he was already on a roster before being named the starter.
It is very early, but any consideration (or fleeting thoughts) yet to moving one of your elites (Mahomes, Dak, Watson) and riding with Jalen?

It is very early, but any consideration (or fleeting thoughts) yet to moving one of your elites (Mahomes, Dak, Watson) and riding with Jalen?
I had that thought last year on the Dak/Mahomes team. I could not get anyone to give me a second for Dak so I moved to thinking of moving Mahomes instead. It never went past a thought, never made an offer. My thought was and continues to be these are loaded teams from top to bottom and I don't want to weaken myself at any position , especially for someone who looks like their lifespan of being good could be a very long time.

But I do intend to revisit that thought this year and part of that reason, if I can say this without coming off as arrogant, it's just been to damn easy acquiring these QB's.

Mahomes cost me $1 in FA during his rookie year and I paid 2.10 for him the offseason from his rookie year to second.  Watson I got in two leagues for about $70 during his rookie season. Herbert for around $20-30. Hurts ironically I spent the most and dropped $30-140 mainly because it was closer to end of season and I had a lot of money.

And every dynasty league I'm in I have Mahomes, Watson or Kyler as my starter and Kyler was easily the most expensive and the highest I paid for him was 2.3. I also drafted Lamar at 3.3 and picked him off waivers for a few bucks but cut him prematurely in one league and traded him last year in another.

I think for me I can move Watson or Dak without a lot of sweat if I find the right return but I have a harder time parting with Mahomes even though he's been more good then great for fantasy since his first huge year and it's easy to  build a case that if you look ahead a few years to life without Andy Reid, Kelce and Tyreek and think he may never have remotely as good as he has it now. Heck, I might be talking myself into looking to move him.

Stashing Hurts feels a lot like stashing Kaepernick did back in the day other than a better established starter in front of him. But things change fast in the NFL and the Eagles have traded backup (and hell, starting) QBs in recent history. And have a QB who has consistently missed games as their franchise QB right now, as good as he's looked.

Athletic 2nd round talent who has the tools but isn't the most polished passer. Lots of potential for fantasy points on the ground. I was thrilled to stash in the 3rd round.
Someone reminded me of this post by “liking” it today, so here’s a shameless bump :ptts:

I think it was Harstad who pointed out years ago how much free value there is in rostering athletic backup QBs in dynasty, even in 1 QB.

I play in a contact dynasty where we are allowed to offer one FA pickup a contract 

was all set to give it to Gaskins but that last performance has me thinking of might need to be Hurts (Justin Herbert will be my QB for the next 4 years)

I play in a contact dynasty where we are allowed to offer one FA pickup a contract 

was all set to give it to Gaskins but that last performance has me thinking of might need to be Hurts (Justin Herbert will be my QB for the next 4 years)
I don't think Hurts will want to sign with the Raiders.

Y! Sports: Week 15 Fantasy Football care/don't care: Baker Mayfield does his best Kirk Cousins impression for surging Browns

5 Things I don’t care about

Carson Wentz coming back

You have to be at least lunatic-adjacent to actively root for a guy to fall apart. But that’s what happened with Carson Wentz. The arrival of Jalen Hurts on the scene has only made that more clear.

The first start of Hurts’ career showed us why his mobility could prove to be a positive force in the face of the chaos infecting the Eagles’ offense. Questions remained about his ability to execute the full machine, especially as a passer. This week, Hurts did what great players do: He answered questions and silenced doubts.

The Eagles lost the battle against Arizona but Hurts’ performance has them looking like they won the war. Seriously — think back to this Eagles team from just a month ago. It was one of the most unwatchable offenses of our time. As soon as they stuck Hurts back there, life instantly flowed through the whole unit.

Despite falling into an early hole, Hurts put on a show to get them back. The rookie went down 16-0 on the road and then put up 401 yards of total offense and four touchdowns against a playoff contender. He also put the team in a position to outright win with a truly perfect throw on 3rd and 21 to Dallas Goedert that the tight end let slip away. It happens ... or should we say, with a quarterback like this it happens, because you’re actually in a position to win in the final moments.

The Eagles offense certainly still has problems around Hurts. That was never going to change. But whereas Carson Wentz just added more problems in response to the Eagles’ problems, Hurts provides solutions.

It doesn’t get much more impressive than what Hurts did. He looked like the collegiate star he was for multiple NCAA teams. Nothing was too big for him. There’s no chance the Eagles can go away from him the rest of 2020 and it’s hard to imagine they’ll have a better option for 2021 and beyond.

Let’s hope Wentz does find a way to revive his career somehow, someway. It’s just going to have to be somewhere else.

If Hurts doesn't fall on his face these last 2 weeks, I think its basically a lock that he's the starter in 2021. 
Agree and I'll go a step further and say no matter how he plays the Eagles won't return next year with both Wentz and this coaching staff. The word Wentz's camp got out the other day was if he's not the starter he wants out but what I think his camp really means is he wants out if this coaching staff is back AND he's not the starter.  Whether it's right or wrong I think he's is of the belief he's made the fall guy and he's done with this staff.

So to me I think these next two games are not just about Hurts holding onto the job but Pederson's future with the Eagles as well. I'm of the belief Pederson and Hurts are now a marriage and Wentz and Pederson can no longer co-exist.

Trading Wentz is going to be very hard from a cap angle for the Eagles but I think they'll find a way if that's the direction they go.

Agree and I'll go a step further and say no matter how he plays the Eagles won't return next year with both Wentz and this coaching staff. The word Wentz's camp got out the other day was if he's not the starter he wants out but what I think his camp really means is he wants out if this coaching staff is back AND he's not the starter.  Whether it's right or wrong I think he's is of the belief he's made the fall guy and he's done with this staff.

So to me I think these next two games are not just about Hurts holding onto the job but Pederson's future with the Eagles as well. I'm of the belief Pederson and Hurts are now a marriage and Wentz and Pederson can no longer co-exist.

Trading Wentz is going to be very hard from a cap angle for the Eagles but I think they'll find a way if that's the direction they go.
I think you hit the nail on the head in all respects.

Dan Lambskin said:

I play in a salary cap/contract league as well. Hurts is currently on my practice squad. If he remains on the PS for entire season, I don't lose a year off his 4-year contract. If I activate him, this season will count as year 1, thereby costing me a full year off the back end of his rookie year. My dilemma is I'm playing for the trophy this week and Hurts v. Dallas is my best QB matchup. 

One of those decisions that, imho, make contract leagues so much harder than standard dynasty leagues.

I play in a salary cap/contract league as well. Hurts is currently on my practice squad. If he remains on the PS for entire season, I don't lose a year off his 4-year contract. If I activate him, this season will count as year 1, thereby costing me a full year off the back end of his rookie year. My dilemma is I'm playing for the trophy this week and Hurts v. Dallas is my best QB matchup. 

One of those decisions that, imho, make contract leagues so much harder than standard dynasty leagues.
I can count the number of QBs I'd start over Hurts this week on 1 hand. 

I'm interested in seeing who hoard is playing Hurts over for the Chip?  I'm currently chewing on the Herbert Hurts Q.  

Debating stating him over Josh Allen
I'm between Hurts and Watson, and just can't bring myself to sit Watson against the Bengals, especially on a short week, after such an emotionally charged game. 

I don't think I could play him over Josh Allen either. Justin Herbert I could see Hurts over though, especially if Allen/Williams are still pretty banged up.

I'm interested in seeing who hoard is playing Hurts over for the Chip?  I'm currently chewing on the Herbert Hurts Q.  
I've been riding Tannehill all season, but I picked up Hurts late in the season. I feel like I have to start Hurts this week, but I won't feel great about it.

Debating stating him over Josh Allen
I am too.  JAllen’s matchup and weather are making me consider Hurts.  
x3

Another factor is that the Bills won’t be getting the #1 seed, so they’re not playing for a bye. It’s not week 17, so they won’t be resting Josh, but he could be rested earlier than normal if the game gets out of hand (although he would likely have had a big part in that).

Eagles Week 15 PFF grades: Still not on Jalen Hurts’ bandwagon; Malik Jackson dominates | 5 takeaways

Excerpt:

PFF is not on the Hurts bandwagon ... yet.

Despite producing 401 total yards and four total touchdowns, Hurts ranked as the Eagles’ third-worst offensive performer in Week 15. Hurts’ grade took a massive hit because of his three fumbles -- all of which were recovered -- as he earned a 21.0 grade in that category. Those fumbles likely contributed to his 49.0 grade as a runner. He was given a solid 60.2 mark as a passer, but his overall grade was a lowly 56.9. While that’s an improvement over last week’s score, it shows that PFF is a tough grading system for QBs.

Hurts is making progress and passing the eye test, but he still clearly has deficiencies and stuff to improve on. The fumbles are eye-opening but can probably be fixed with coaching. Hurts might want to invest in a left-handed glove.

I'm in the Championship game and have been rolling with Wilson all year, I just picked up Hurts off waivers and will probably stat him over Wilson.  It kills me to sit Wilson but I'm going up against an Allen owner and need points.  Russell just hasn't been cooking!

There are some QBs (if I owned them) I would no way be starting Hurts over. They include:

* Mahommes -- Just as much ceiling, better floor.

* A. Rodgers -- Ceiling maybe a little lower, but the floor is super high in what should be a shootout vs TN.

* L. Jackson -- Feel like BALT and Jackson are starting to roll.

* J. Allen -- Ceiling just as high and I expect Buffalo to give NE a licking they've been waiting to give them for 20 years.

* K. Murray -- Same ceiling, maybe floor a bit higher.

* D. Watson -- Ditto

I think if I were projected as a heavy favorite, I may go Brady over Hurts. Not sure. Think I probably go Herbert as well...floor a bit higher ceiling a bit lower.

If I'm projected as a serious underdog I probably sit both Brady and Herbert for Hurts.

I'm between Hurts and Watson, and just can't bring myself to sit Watson against the Bengals, especially on a short week, after such an emotionally charged game. 
Same choice here and just don't have the guts to bench Watson after all this time.

There are some QBs (if I owned them) I would no way be starting Hurts over. They include:

* Mahommes -- Just as much ceiling, better floor.

* A. Rodgers -- Ceiling maybe a little lower, but the floor is super high in what should be a shootout vs TN.

* L. Jackson -- Feel like BALT and Jackson are starting to roll.

* J. Allen -- Ceiling just as high and I expect Buffalo to give NE a licking they've been waiting to give them for 20 years.

* K. Murray -- Same ceiling, maybe floor a bit higher.

* D. Watson -- Ditto

I think if I were projected as a heavy favorite, I may go Brady over Hurts. Not sure. Think I probably go Herbert as well...floor a bit higher ceiling a bit lower.

If I'm projected as a serious underdog I probably sit both Brady and Herbert for Hurts.
I think I would start Hurts over Jackson. Giants are a solid defense, and likely won't keep it close enough for a ceiling game. 

On the flip side, I'd probably go Brady over Hurts, because the Lions should score 20+ and make a game of it.

Expected more angst over starting Hurts over whoever this morning.

Universally a top 6 ranked play at QB.

Dallas missing Vander Esch as well. That's got to help his rushing potential.

Currently starting over Herbert although after Gaskins and Evans put me up big I'm contemplating "playing it safe" with Herbert. May not be so safe minus K. Allen and H. Henry.

NFL Start ’em Sit ’em Week 16: Jalen Hurts highlights fantasy start/sit

Excerpt:

Philadelphia Eagles QB Jalen Hurts (at Dallas Cowboys)

Jalen Hurts has the ability to put up Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray numbers this week against a Cowboys defense that is allowing over seven yards per passing attempt and a league-high touchdown rate.

Hurts is one of the easier start ’em or sit ’em options in Week 16. Looking at last week, he was able to get it done on the ground (63 yards and a touchdown) while also seeing success in the air with 338 passing yards and three TDs.

Currently starting over Herbert although after Gaskins and Evans put me up big I'm contemplating "playing it safe" with Herbert. May not be so safe minus K. Allen and H. Henry.
Would you start him over Tannehill? I'd have to activate him off my practice squad and lose of year of having him on my roster for this one game. But it could be the difference between 1st and 2nd place.

Yes, I have angst!

I have the same decision with Hurts or Herbert.  Kamara gave me a cushion so I’m going Hurts.  I believe he has the higher floor today due to his rushing.  I also don’t like Herbert as much with Allen and Henry out.  I get that Denver secondary is banged up but it’s still not the Raiders D like last game.

Eagles head coach Doug Pederson said Jalen Hurts will start in Week 17 against Washington. 

It's only worth noting since the Eagles' season is over and the team could rest some starters in it's finale. Hurts remains a top fantasy option thanks to his rushing upside. He could see slightly depressed DFS usage after a relatively down Week 16 against Dallas. 

RELATED: 

Carson Wentz

SOURCE: Jeff McLane on Twitter 

Dec 29, 2020, 12:44 PM ET

Looking at Wentz's contract, which is the biggest factor in assessing Hurts' future, the various paths to Hurts gaining relevance look pretty glum.

• The most realistic is Hurts outplaying Wentz, and taking the job outright, and Wentz being traded or cut. And THAT seems tough to project. Wentz' contract is such that he's not even a possible cut until two seasons from now, and that would still be 24 mill in dead cap.  Really, three years, they would gain 6 mill in cap space in 2022. If Wentz plays bad enough to be benched or cut in two years time, who is to say that the staff that drafted Hurts is still there? And what are chances Wentz plays that badly? 
  • The quickest way is a Wentz injury, but how likely is a career-ending injury, or even a season-ending? 
  • Hurts gets traded to a team that commits to him--This seems like the most likely for him to be relevant soon, barring a Wentz injury. How long before PHI is willing to move him, and what are chances he showed enough that his value reaches a 1st rounder, or whatever PHI needs to move him? We've seen an influx of young QBs teams have invested in, and we are gonna add two or three more next year. A lot of moving parts needs to click into place for Hurts to be traded to a team, and handed a starting job. 
I'm looking for an avenue for Hurts to help someone's fantasy team in the near future, and it could be three years before you get a decent look at him. That's a roster spot that cold be another QB who appears out of the blue, or comes out in the draft, that has a clearer path to starting. 

He can get stashed on a taxi squad, for a year or two, that's possible, but how high can you take a guy that has a slim chance of seeing the field for two years?

I love the move for Philly, a cheap, dynamic backup, but you gotta be willing to roster this guy in fantasy and forget about him for two years. 
Well, I certainly hope dynasty drafters ignored this windbag. 

That's new Iggles starting QB Jalen Hurts now. With the trade of Wentz he should get a full preseason with the 1s (doubt they draft Fields/etc.) and the chance to build up his fantasy hype. He's firmly on my fantasy radar for QB bargain potential; he's obviously nowhere as good as rookie Mahomes/Jackson, but in 14 team non-PPR mocks he was going in the 8th round. If that somehow manages to hold (it of course won't) he'd be a pretty darn good bargain.

Drafting a QB and restarting the same headaches seems counterintuitive. With some very good QB prospects this year, it's tough. 

Even if Hurts is anointed the guy, I'm very hesitant about valuing him too highly.

Many are enamored by his running ability even if his passing needs work, and understandably so. But it seems like just about every QB is a running QB these days. It's not necessarily a big advantage anymore to have a highly mobile QB - rather it's a disadvantage to not own one. And even the most supreme running QBs like Lamar can drop in the fantasy rankings if the passing stats aren't there as a balance.

If you had your choice in Dynasty, I am guessing most would choose Wentz over Hurts.  However, if you had posed that same question back in December, the results may have been much different.  Is this strictly because Wentz now has a clear path to a starting gig in what projects as a better offense, or has Hurts' value taken a hit since December, despite Wentz's departure?

Users who are viewing this thread