What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Herbert, LAC (2 Viewers)

Add Staley to the list of doofus coaches in the league. It was obvious after the KC and Vegas games late last year, but leaving Herbert in today in a blowout when the guy was clearly hurt was pure stupidity. "He wanted to finish the game." Who cares. A player is always going to want to finish the game, and the coaches with a brain know to protect players from themselves. I feel bad for Chargers fans as they aren't winning anything as long as that clown is their head coach.

All pro starting LT Slater is out for the year with a torn biceps. The Chargers will have to shuffle their existing linemen, probably inserting rookie Salyer somewhere and moving the other G/Ts areound to cover, but they're not going to make up for this loss unless Salyer or Jaimes can somehow replicate Slater's performance (which is highly unlikely).

This is going to cause problems for the Chargers' offense in general. They were already having OLIne problems with Linsley out due to injury (and still no idea what his timetable really is). Given this and the rib cartilage issue, you may want to start examining plan B for your QB if you were depending on Herbert this year.

WR Guyton is out for the year with a torn ACL. He was the speed guy. They hardly ever used him effectively though. Still another loss to this offense.

Justin Herbert completed 37-of-57 passes for 238 scoreless yards and one interception in the Chargers' 19-16, Week 6 win over the Broncos in overtime Monday night.​

Herbert's best passing plays in this one were defensive pass interferences on Broncos rookie CB Damarri Mathis, as Mathis was called for at least three of them. Herbert had one completion of more than 14 yards, averaging a pitiful 4.2 YPA on his 57 throws. He was under a lot of pressure, but the offensive game plans from both the Chargers and Broncos were embarrassing. Mike Williams couldn't shake CB Pat Surtain's sticky coverage, and the Bolts had to rely on injured K Dustin Hopkins to carry them to an unearned victory. Herbert gets a get-right spot at home against the Seahawks in Week 7.
Oct 17, 2022, 11:43 PM ET

Completely venting because of the crappy score last night, it was a one off game, Denver's D is really really good.....and he's got the ribs and no Keenan Allen and blah blah blah.....but is this guy ever going to be capable of the Allen/Mahomes-style blowup week where he throws for 350 yards and 5 TDs and just wins you your week? Feels like I keep barely winning in spite of him not because of him

i think it's definitely the ribs. his passes just don't look the same as they did last year. that may not help much for this year, but in the future i think he can still do it.

HIs line is injured and not getting him sufficient space/time to throw, his best receiver is out and the rest just aren't that good - and I'm not talking Diggs or Kelce good, like not even Smith-Schuster or Valdes-Scantling good. He also just played a pretty solid defense. I think there are some video game stats days in his future this season (if some of the key offensive players can get healthy).

Completely venting because of the crappy score last night, it was a one off game, Denver's D is really really good.....and he's got the ribs and no Keenan Allen and blah blah blah.....but is this guy ever going to be capable of the Allen/Mahomes-style blowup week where he throws for 350 yards and 5 TDs and just wins you your week? Feels like I keep barely winning in spite of him not because of him
Seems like you answered your own question. Guy is gutting it out with minimal help. He is a top five NFL quarterback in the league IMO but the cards are stacked against him for FF right now.

Justin Herbert completed 33-of-51 passes for 293 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Chargers' 37-23, Week 7 loss to the Seahawks.

Without a healthy Keenan Allen (hamstring) and no semblance of impactful wideout play outside of Mike Williams, Herbert's been ice-cold of late and was unable to do much of anything against Seattle's cellar-dwelling pass defense. He needed garbage time to get there in the box score, hitting Mike Williams and Austin Ekeler for second-half touchdowns. After tossing three touchdowns each in Weeks 1-2, Herbert has been held to six touchdowns in five games. This team badly needs its Week 8 bye. Herbert will try to get right in Week 9 against the Falcons, but he may have to do it without Williams, who was carted off with an ankle injury late in this one. Good luck.

- NBCSportsEDGE

What is his outlook the rest of the year?

So far No where near the stud he was last year. Supposedly a soft matchup today. 1 TD.
I know he has lost some of his WR's.
May still be dealing with his rib his injury?
Hopefully he will get it going if and when Allen and Williams come back?

So what can we expect?
Just average numbers or does he take off?

Justin Herbert completed 30-of-43 passes for 245 yards, a touchdown, and an interception in the Chargers' 20-17 win over the Falcons.

Per usual, it required an absurd amount of pass attempts for Herbert to have a modest fantasy day. He averaged 5.7 yards per attempt while mostly connecting on the short and intermediate throws Atlanta's defense gave him. The interception, however, wasn't his fault. He hit Josh Palmer in the numbers but the ball deflected off Palmer's hands and found its way into the waiting arms of Falcons safety Richie Grant. Without Keenan Allen or Mike Williams in the mix, Herbert's days as a QB1 appear to be over. He will rank as a QB2 versus the 49ers in Week 10.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Allen may not play much the rest of the year. Williams should be back in a few weeks. Until then it's going to be rough sledding. The WR/TE group he has to work with isn't good right now. Lots of bad drops yesterday. Not much separation or speed.

Due to the personnel at WR/TE, the injuries across the OL, Herbert's ribs, and the current offensive coordinator, the playbook seems to be limited. More short routes and checkdowns. He's been throwing a lot more sidearm since the initial injury, which many people surmise is a result of the injury lingering and him still having discomfort with his usual throwing motion.

So far No where near the stud he was last year. Supposedly a soft matchup today. 1 TD.

So what can we expect?
I guess Below Average………

So what can we expect?
I guess Below Average………

From the opening 53 man roster:
  • Both starting OTs (All Pro LT Slater, RT Pipkins) missed the game
  • WR1 (Allen), WR2 (Williams), and WR4/5 (Guyton) missed the game
  • TE1 (Everett) injured his groin and left the game in the 2Q
  • TE2 (Parham) missed the game
  • RB2 (Kelley) missed the game
That is obviously having an effect on his performance. Not to mention, he is still likely not fully recovered from his own fractured rib cartilage.

He is getting healthier, and his teammates hopefully can only get healthier around him going forward.

Justin Herbert completed 12-of-35 passes for 196 yards, a touchdown, and an interception in the Chargers' 22-16 loss to the 49ers, adding 22 additional yards on five carries.​

Herbert led the Chargers to an opening drive touchdown to start the game, a beautiful 32-yard dime to DeAndre Carter into zone coverage, before being held to field goals in the second quarter and being blanked in the second half. He briefly exited the contest late in the second quarter due to a Dre Greenlaw helmet-to-helmet hit but returned with the team to start the second half. Herbert struggled through consistent pressure at the hands of Nick Bosa and the relentless 49ers pass rush, which combined with the lack of available pass-catchers to hold Herbert to his lowest yardage total of the season. Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Donald Parham missed this one and starting tight end Gerald Everett was forced from the contest in the second quarter with a groin injury, which proved too much to overcome for the young gunslinger. Herbert and the Chargers will look to get back on track in Week 11 as they host the AFC-leading Chiefs.
Nov 13, 2022, 11:34 PM ET

Justin Herbert completed 28-of-47 passes for 335 yards and one touchdown in the Chargers' 27-20, Week 13 loss to the Raiders.​

Watching Herbert attempt to gut out a win despite a decimated roster has become a weekly occurrence. In this week's episode, he overcame five sacks and multiple pressures to stay within one possession of the Raiders, with his lone touchdown pass coming on a 35-yard bomb to Keenan Allen on a 4th and 12 play. With under a minute to go in the game, Herbert and company would have one more chance to drive 90 yards to tie the game. However, with no timeouts to aid them in this near-impossible task, the Chargers fell short and dropped to 6-6 in what's becoming yet another forgettable season for the Bolts. Things don't get any easier for them next week when they host the Dolphins on Sunday night. Despite having no receivers, no offensive line and no time to throw, Herbert should still be treated as a top-12 quarterback next week.
Dec 4, 2022, 7:49 PM ET

Chargers need to fix their Offensive Line. Zero time for Herby to throw today. I got him and Allen in my keeper league. I know 2 of his OL are out and one for the season but these other starters are just horrible. We should count our lucky stars every week Herbert is as good as he is playing behind this line.

Chargers need to fix their Offensive Line. Zero time for Herby to throw today. I got him and Allen in my keeper league. I know 2 of his OL are out and one for the season but these other starters are just horrible. We should count our lucky stars every week Herbert is as good as he is playing behind this line.
Actually 3 of the starters on the OL are out. At one point tonight Zion Johnson left with an injury, so they were down to one starting OL playing for a little bit. Slater isn't coming back this year, and it looks like Linsley and Pipkins will be dealing with chronic problems the remainder of the season. If those two can't go, things aren't going to get better this year from where they are now.

What load of horse****
Yeah he ain’t good.....LMAO. Social Media is the arm pit of sports analysts.

Justin Herbert is a generational talent at QB.
Agreed. Watching the game last night made me wonder how good Herbert could be if he had ANY protection. Glad to see them finally designing more roll out to get him moving out of the pocket. Atrocious O line play.

Justin Herbert completed 28-of-42 passes for 313 yards and two interceptions in the Chargers' 17-14, Week 15 win over the Titans.​

Herbert played nearly four quarters of uninspiring football before driving down the field with less than a minute on the clock to set up Cameron Dicker for a game-winning field goal. The drive included a play that saw Herbert roll out and uncork a gem to Mike Williams while on the run. One of the interceptions was also not on Herbert. He threw the ball out of bounds in the end zone only for Titans corner Roger McCreary to jump out of bounds, catch the football, and throw it back in bounds to safety Josh Kalu for the pick. It was easily the best interception of the year and doesn't really fall on Herbert's shoulders. Herbert will look to get back into the end zone in his Week 16 matchup with the Colts. He will rank as a low-end QB1.
Dec 18, 2022, 7:41 PM ET

Herbert has now started 46 games, and the Chargers are 23-23 in those games.

Herbert has 13 game winning drives in those 23 wins. That is 57%. I don't know how to easily compare percentage of wins that included a GWD for other QBs, but I doubt anyone else is close to 57%.

In addition:
  1. In his first start in 2020 week 2 vs. KC, he led the Chargers to a go ahead FG with 2:31 remaining, but the defense could not hold and the Chargers lost in OT.
  2. In 2020 week 6 at New Orleans, he led the Chargers to a go ahead TD with 3:40 remaining, but the defense could not hold and the Chargers lost in OT.
  3. In 2021 week 15 vs. KC, he led the Chargers to a go ahead TD with 2:19 remaining, but the defense could not hold and the Chargers lost in OT.
  4. In 2022 week 11 vs. KC, he led the Chargers to a go ahead TD with 1:46 remaining, but the defense could not hold and the Chargers lost.

That was still underwhelming in a dream matchup
He certainly has been completely underwhelming this year. Yeah, I get it, he was injured earlier and he didn't have his receivers, but that hasn't been the case for the last three or four games. It was holy expecting him too bounce back over these last ones. The yardage totals are there but the touchdowns are just nowhere to be found.

He was expected to be in the top tier like Mahomes and Allen.

Had Cousins and Fields on my bench. Would have won my playoff matchup with either but lost by 7 with Justin who had best matchup by far. No Point second guessing now. See y’all next year

He certainly has been completely underwhelming this year. Yeah, I get it, he was injured earlier and he didn't have his receivers, but that hasn't been the case for the last three or four games.

As for injuries:
  • Herbert really didn't look like he was mostly past his injury and back to normal until the Miami game in week 14. He didn't miss any games but his performance was clearly affected as he played through the injury.
  • The top 4 WRs and top 2 TEs (both passing game targets) entering the season have combined to miss 40 games and parts of several others. That's like missing an average of 3 of your top 6 WR/TEs every game.
  • All Pro LT Slater has missed the past 11 games and remains on IR. That forced the team to start a 6th round rookie who was drafted to play guard at LT. That forces adjustments in the offense to give him help. That, in turn, made it harder to help as much on the right side, where the RG is a rookie and the RT was the weakest starter entering the season.
All that said, it seems likely that OC Joe Lombardi will be fired after the season. He was Detroit's OC and had a similar effect on Stafford and got fired before the end of his second season there. That should help in 2023 and beyond.

Last edited:
He certainly has been completely underwhelming this year. Yeah, I get it, he was injured earlier and he didn't have his receivers, but that hasn't been the case for the last three or four games.

As for injuries:
  • Herbert really didn't look like he was mostly past his injury and back to normal until the Miami game in week 14. He didn't miss any games but his performance was clearly affected as he played through the injury.
  • The top 4 WRs and top 2 TEs (both passing game targets) entering the season have combined to miss 40 games and parts of several others. That's like missing an average of 3 of your top 6 WR/TEs every game.
  • All Pro LT Slater has missed the past 11 games and remains on IR. That forced the team to start a 6th round rookie who was drafted to play guard at LT. That forces adjustments in the offense to give him help. That, in turn, made it harder to help as much on the right side, where the RG is a rookie and the RT was the weakest starter entering the season.
All that said, it seems likely that OC Joe Lombardi will be fired after the season. He was Detroit's OC and had a similar effect on Stafford and got fired before the end of his second season there. That should help in 2023 and beyond.
Starting center Linsley and starting RT Pipkins have missed multiple games as well. The result has been Herbert is one of the most, if not the most pressured QBs in the league this season.

Loosing Guyton, their one true speed receiver early in the season has also made it easier to defend the passing game, and basically eliminated the deep ball from the playbook.

Anyone who doesn't think Herbert is one of the best QBs in the game is clueless IMO. A rash of injuries and pretty awful coaching have greatly held him back. My Christmas wish is for Sean Payton next year, but absent that miracle just better health and a better OC and he'll be right back to the near the top of the pack.

Herbert has broken several records this season.

In Sunday’s 17-14 win over the Titans, Justin Herbert threw for 313 yards, giving him 4,019 passing yards with three games remaining in the 2022 regular season.

By crossing 4,000 passing yards this year, Herbert became the first player in NFL history to throw for 4,000 or more yards in each of his first three professional seasons....Last week ...Herbert passed Andrew Luck for the most passing yards through a player’s first three seasons with 13,056, besting Luck’s 12,957....This season, despite all the injuries and games missed from his top receivers, Herbert has still managed to throw for 4,019 yards with 21 touchdowns to nine interceptions. He’s on pace to set a new career high in completion percentage (67.5) and a new career low in interception percentage (1.5).

I get that he didn't kill it from a fantasy football perspective yesterday, and he did have a couple of uncharacteristically bad passes, but he's doing pretty well overall.

Anyone who doesn't think Herbert is one of the best QBs in the game is clueless IMO. A rash of injuries and pretty awful coaching have greatly held him back. My Christmas wish is for Sean Payton next year, but absent that miracle just better health and a better OC and he'll be right back to the near the top of the pack.
I don't think anyone thinks that. I certainly don't. I'll take him over anyone other than mahomes or Josh Allen. I just think that he's been a bit disappointing, that's all. Especially after these Last couple games where he had all, or most, of his weapons back.

That was still underwhelming in a dream matchup
He certainly has been completely underwhelming this year. Yeah, I get it, he was injured earlier and he didn't have his receivers, but that hasn't been the case for the last three or four games. It was holy expecting him too bounce back over these last ones. The yardage totals are there but the touchdowns are just nowhere to be found.

He was expected to be in the top tier like Mahomes and Allen.
Have you seen his OL? The guy is literally under extreme pressure before he even finishes dropping back.

His first two years in the league his OL was healthy. We have already seen he has elite skills and will be a winning QB if the pieces around him can also play at a high level.

As a fantasy QB...yeah he has been underwhelming. As an NFL QB he is the only reason the Chargers are in playoff contention. Literally the only reason.

Users who are viewing this thread