What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Malik Willis, TEN (1 Viewer)

As many of us were saying, it was a game to find out if Dobbs can start, not to rest Willis.

Titans head coach Mike Vrabel named Josh Dobbs as the starter for Week 18 against the Jaguars.​

It took almost six years for Dobbs to see his first career start, which came last week against the Cowboys. Now, the former fourth-round pick will make his second-straight start, with this one set to decide the winner of the AFC South. In last week's loss to the Cowboys, Dobbs completed 20-of-39 passes for 232 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. While some expected to see rookie quarterback Malik Willis in the game, there's no denying Dobbs is the more polished passer and allows the Titans to diversify their playcalling.

Willis clearly isn’t ready, but deciding whether to hold on to him for next year in my deep keeper league. Can’t imagine they’ll turn the keys over to Malik even if they part ways with Tannehill.

Willis clearly isn’t ready, but deciding whether to hold on to him for next year in my deep keeper league. Can’t imagine they’ll turn the keys over to Malik even if they part ways with Tannehill.
I’ll hang on to him in my SF dynasty for sure. But wouldn’t in start 1 formats with small benches.
He always was going to be a project and boom/bust.

Kind of sounds like Willis said he was sick in this pregame vid.
From the few clips I’ve seen, Willis seems like a nice, well-grounded guy. Not sure he’s cut out to be an NFL QB, but I hope he at least gets some proper coaching in the offseason to at least give him a better shot.
Honestly, I think he’ll be an interesting backup for most of his career. Good kid, I’m definitely cheering for him to succeed. But he’s exactly who many of us thought he was a year ago.

I thought of McNair too but Alcorn St. has over 50 players drafted in the NFL. And guys like Donald Driver were pretty good too. They even have more undrafted NFL players, than Liberty has drafted. And also 3 first round picks. Liberty is way behind.
I’ve said it before, but the bigger thing imo is that he was recruited by a top school. Even made their team. And then transferred away because he wasn’t going to start over a player who probably doesn’t have much of an NFL career. Most transfers with the talent to play in the NFL go to other big programs.

I assume most of his detractors believe he is unlikely improve with coaching. Either he can or can’t. I could see him being like a young Matt Stafford relying on his incredible arm too much and often making bonehead decisions. Can he progress faster or slower? Even if that was the risk, don’t think 19 teams passing on him.
What in his history indicates an ability to improve with coaching? He could not lead Auburn’s offense. The offense at Liberty was limited at best. He genuinely seems like a quality person with physical talent, but it would be really surprising to see him lead an NFL team to the playoffs, let alone a SB victory.

I have a sinking feeling he’s a Titan :oldunsure:

I’ll hang on to him in my SF dynasty for sure. But wouldn’t in start 1 formats with small benches.
He always was going to be a project and boom/bust.

you avatar reminds me of this star trek char nagilum

Dobbs no question should start next week. Willis has shown zero.

I don't think Willis will be long for the NFL on gameday rosters. I'm sure he could bounce around the league on practice squads as a developmental talent. I'd be surprised personally if Willis made the 53 next year for the Titans (whether it's Vrabel or not)
Trade bait.
Maybe weak trade bait but too many were too high on him last April that he's surely worth something even a late pick

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Malik Willis has reportedly “fallen out of favor” to be the Titans next franchise QB. Willis could reportedly be traded if the Titans either trade up or select a QB in the first round of the NFL Draft. Willis was selected by the Titans 86th overall in last year’s Draft. Willis played in 8 games last season and finished with a QBR of 12.4
“Fallen out” implies he was ever favored. There was hope but nobody really expected him to do it which is why he fell to the 3rd. Not to mention drafted by a guy fired mid season.

Not sure what they could expect to get in a trade for him. He looked positively horrific last season, even for a rookie. Maybe a 6th?

Not sure what they could expect to get in a trade for him. He looked positively horrific last season, even for a rookie. Maybe a 6th?
If I were the GM of pretty much any team, but especially one where QB rushing was a part of the offense, I would gladly pay that for Willis.

Its kind of amazing how much he's getting judged off of 2 games, when the book on him was very clearly not ready year 1. Maybe he'll never be much of a passer, but man, most 6th round picks aren't even useful special teams players. I'd gladly give that up even if its just for a Taysom Hill-ish QB.

Is it wrong to wonder if he can catch?
Really late to this one, but I thought if Willis were truly open to playing RB, he would have been drafted higher than he was as a QB. A few anonymous GM's implied he was the best runner in last year's draft after Hall/Walker.

I mean whatever we heard over the years of this guy or that guy not being able to do xyz so he'll play another position....that described Willis.

I am developing a positive attitude since he has been reported as working with different QB trainers this off-season

I do think the Titans will entertain trade offers. There's a lot of talk of them wanting a young QB and a lot how he's not the guy so...it seems a reasonable conclusion.

Not re-signing Dobbs was dumb as they'll just wind up adding a similar veteran player after the draft. The QB room has to offer something for Tannehill and there must be someone to run the scout team.

I'm expecting Penn State guy or Stetson Bennett late or UDFA. I also think they're better than advertised. They can go on the PS and there's that potential rule change so getting a "let's see what he can do" UDFA seems probable.

Its easy to imagine the new GM doesn't want a project in Malik but I don't buy that he'll dump him. He was a third that fell in the draft so maybe they can get a third or fourth. It's so hard to gauge this time of year when everyone is drooling over metrics. He could be Akili Smith but there's certainly a chance another GM loves his speed and arm.

They aren’t trading Willis. Especially not for a 6th. I do think they may add a late round pick (Cunningham, Dugan?) or a UDFA (Tyson Bagent?), unless they get Hooker in the 2nd. I’d be quite okay with a QB room of Tannehill, Hooker and Willis if that means they get Paris or Skoronski.

I’d personally like to see Willis do a decent Taysom Hill impression. That would make him easily worth the 3rd round pick imo.

Last edited:
They aren’t trading Willis. Especially not for a 6th. I do think they may add a late round pick (Cunningham, Dugan?) or a UDFA (Tyson Bagent?), unless they get Hooker in the 2nd. I’d be quite okay with a QB room of Tannehill, Hooker and Willis if that means they get Paris or Skoronski.

I’d personally like to see Willis do a decent Taysom Hill impression. That would make him easily worth the 3rd round pick imo.
Charles Robinson wrote that...pretty much all I've said over n over except the QB room and slow news day? I got to hear the Titans on national radio some. Did you?

This one guy was comparing Willis to Daniel Bellinger. The Giants have Waller and now the concept could be to move on, but why? They added a couple young TEs that were good last year with Bellinger most promising. He showed all you want to see- blocking, toughness, catches with players draped on him, even the injuries that were too often but he came back strong. So why? He's making fourth round money for three more years, why?
Willis is questionable but he's put the work in that they requested and then some. Why?

He said ya gotta offer them a third for Bellinger or maybe it takes more. A second for Willis. Maybe there's a roster hole and a key player could be traded instead. No one is moving off a young known talent that's cheap just because.

I get all that and that's a fair point for sure but Willis would have to be third then. I can make a strong argument they need a capable backup QB play and the probability it's utilized.

The QB room for Tannehill stunk last year and it seems they're aware as they shifted coaches and played games with titles to add two more to work with the QBs and offense. Maybe all that was for a rookie and not Tannehill? Maybe it was for Willis? Adding a coach Ridder said was helpful is interesting too.

I think they did the last paragraph for some reason. What reason though?
I don't want Levis.
I don't want Richardson if it means giving up a ton of picks as they have so many needs now as is.
Maybe it's for Tannehill or Willis? Maybe some other rookie that reasonably is drafted without trading a ton?

I am NOT a Tim Kelly fan. I am a fan of the guy that stole the passing game job from him in Houston. Maybe Vrabel wanted all these offensive minds to help his buddy as best he could?

Quoting again....
I'm forever wondering why Taamu isn't in the NFL and especially why he's not a Titan when he moved to TEN 2-3 years ago and worked out with their WRs often. If nothing else that is at least a practice squad QB. What more do they want?
Anywho....
I love the XFL goalline/red zone offense he's in and I want the Titans to do it so badly. Have you seen it?
Taamu can run pretty good but is the passer. D'Eriq King can run well and is a so so passer. One of them is the QB.
Are they running or passing?
From there, they are gloriously confusing to the defense. Why is a TE in the backfield? Why an extra lineman? Why is King out wide and Taamu at QB? Why is a RB shifting and not in the backfield?
I love it!
It's not at all fancy. Which QB then either a guy lines up weird or a simple shift. That's it. But the doubt at a spot where the defense can't think and has to just react....it's fantastic.

The Titans simply need to steal this with Willis and Tannehill. Not to mention how a D probably has to gear up and get set to try and stonewall Henry.
That doubt is so awesome. Oh I wish the Titans would steal it

Update: The #Titans have apparently 'lost faith' in QB Malik Willis, according to @peter_king

He's a smart guy with wheels and a big arm. He played in an elementary system and was considered a project. No one with the Titans can coach this guy up?
In all honesty, when’s the last time the titans coached up a player early in his career to have a successful career as a starter? Tim Kelly hasn’t shown that ability any better.

He really needs to latch on as QB3 with the right coach and in the right system. What little I've seen of him reminds me of a Jalen Hurts knockoff.

The First Read: Winners and losers from Day 2 of the 2023 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

4) Malik Willis, QB, Tennessee Titans: The Titans used a third-round pick on Willis last year because they hoped he could be the successor to Ryan Tannehill. It took them all of one year to decide they needed another option in that quest to find a quarterback of the future, which ultimately became Kentucky quarterback Will Levis. We all know how awful it was to watch Levis, a player many thought could be a top-five pick, go undrafted in the first round (one year after Willis, ironically, went through the same humiliation). However, the Titans took him with the 33rd overall selection, and Levis is now part of a well-coached team that has a history of playing to the strengths of its quarterbacks. It's clear the Titans plan on giving Tannehill another year as their starter. After that, Levis seems likely to get the shot that once was supposed to go to Willis.

FOX Sports' Ben Arthur writes Malik Willis "is the odd man out as long as [Ryan] Tannehill is on the roster."

"The Titans don't typically keep three quarterbacks on the 53," the former Titans beat writer continued as he projected the team's 53-man roster after the draft. The pick of Will Levis in the second-round threw away any remaining "quarterback of the future" credentials Willis had after a disastrous run in 2022 that arguably helped get former GM Jon Robinson fired. Willis turns 24 later this month and probably should be renting rather than buying in Nashville, even if a trade for Tannehill comes together in the near future.
SOURCE: FOX Sports
May 9, 2023 at 5:55 PM ET

Bears and Ravens should both be interested if the price is almost (or even) free.

I see football in the spring in his future
Maybe distant future. I'd be shocked if he didn't get some chance(s) elsewhere, and if failing that, a look at RB/WR. Dude's 6-1 220 and runs 4.4. He's got the build to make a switch if need be.

Bears and Ravens should both be interested if the price is almost (or even) free.

I see football in the spring in his future
Maybe distant future. I'd be shocked if he didn't get some chance(s) elsewhere, and if failing that, a look at RB/WR. Dude's 6-1 220 and runs 4.4. He's got the build to make a switch if need be.
Titans really need a WR 🤔

Not sure why he's not worth a roster spot to run some Taysom Hill style plays as a change of pace. Seems like some teams could make that work.

FOX Sports' Ben Arthur writes Malik Willis "is the odd man out as long as [Ryan] Tannehill is on the roster."

"The Titans don't typically keep three quarterbacks on the 53," the former Titans beat writer continued as he projected the team's 53-man roster after the draft. The pick of Will Levis in the second-round threw away any remaining "quarterback of the future" credentials Willis had after a disastrous run in 2022 that arguably helped get former GM Jon Robinson fired. Willis turns 24 later this month and probably should be renting rather than buying in Nashville, even if a trade for Tannehill comes together in the near future.
He has no business as a primary backup. Maybe can cut his teeth on a practice squad if he's hellbent being QB-only on a team like Ravens/Bears.

Only way he should see an NFL field anytime soon is if he can develop as a gimmick type.

It was embarrassing what he did in his starting trial. Made a lot of teams look smart passing on him in draft.

Update: The #Titans have apparently 'lost faith' in QB Malik Willis, according to @peter_king

He's a smart guy with wheels and a big arm. He played in an elementary system and was considered a project. No one with the Titans can coach this guy up?
In all honesty, when’s the last time the titans coached up a player early in his career to have a successful career as a starter? Tim Kelly hasn’t shown that ability any better.
Agree
Texans didn't let him continue to ride "I was Deshaun Watson's OC" so the Titans did and now their offense looks like the Texans

He has no business as a primary backup. Maybe can cut his teeth on a practice squad if he's hellbent being QB-only on a team like Ravens/Bears.

Only way he should see an NFL field anytime soon is if he can develop as a gimmick type.

It was embarrassing what he did in his starting trial. Made a lot of teams look smart passing on him in draft.
The value for him in the third was that he's cheap, high ceiling, and can wait til he develops.
Woodside was picked up by Atlanta.
Tannehill had elective surgery.
They wanted to see- whether they admit it or not- they wanted to see what Willis can do.

Keep in mind it's a run Henry then run him some more offense.

Fields I thought was done super early and then he started running and everything clicked. I'm still not confident in his passing but wooh did the light turn on there.

QBs make 30-60 mil. Willis is dirt cheap. There is no rush.

Not sure why he's not worth a roster spot to run some Taysom Hill style plays as a change of pace. Seems like some teams could make that work.
I love the XFL defenders red zone offense.
There's no reason they can't mimic that- they won't, but they should.
Taamu can run, but he probably throws.
DEriq King can throw, but he probably runs.
It's simple and brilliant with one tiny nuance added.

The Titans did do this with Mariota and Tannehill and it worked for them.

One thing people always forget is Mariota had best ever type red zone stats. (Nothing else and I don't blame them for giving Arthur or Henry the credit) This should be dug into hard. He was a superb ad libbing QB in college but didn't do it much in the NFL so throw that concept away. Why did he convert such a high percentage and have a rate of like 30 TDs and 2 INTs? He's not Brady. Let the insults pile in. So then why?

Saints and Hill could definitely benefit from XFL offense or this research too.

Maybe young Jonnu and Delaine double threat? Henry of course. Mariota racing diagonal to the end zone and where to position S and LB? The big WRs Arthur coveted?

Arthur was so good as a TE coach/red zone coordinator that they made him OC. It's disturbing egotism to NOT call his plays and/or techniques that had everyone raving about him. Foolish by the Titans

His value is ZERO. Don't fool yourself TEN fans, it is and if it was higher he wouldn't have gone from a #1 potential pick to end of the 3rd round ... that means teams watched and he stunk. And it's also why he couldn't get playing time from Jaret Stidham at AUB. I watched him a good bit at Liberty ... he was better than his competition but not very good overall. I got no problem with TEN taking a shot on him. QBs are often worth getting into camp and seeing what they have. But at this point you can't call plays for someone that is the 3rd best QB on your team. How'd that work for NO ... Taysom Hill still sucked. Those guys belong deep on the bench. Just stick Willis on practice squad and see what happens.

His value is ZERO. Don't fool yourself TEN fans, it is and if it was higher he wouldn't have gone from a #1 potential pick to end of the 3rd round ... that means teams watched and he stunk. And it's also why he couldn't get playing time from Jaret Stidham at AUB. I watched him a good bit at Liberty ... he was better than his competition but not very good overall. I got no problem with TEN taking a shot on him. QBs are often worth getting into camp and seeing what they have. But at this point you can't call plays for someone that is the 3rd best QB on your team. How'd that work for NO ... Taysom Hill still sucked. Those guys belong deep on the bench. Just stick Willis on practice squad and see what happens.
🤷 many of us said the same thing over a year ago.
I don’t mind taking the risk in the 3rd even if it meant missing out on Dylan Parham or Kerby Joseph

OC Kelly confirmed there are plays put in for Willis that suit Willis' athleticism. He said there are plays for (a bunch of names).
Don't push him to the curb just yet

“What we’d asked Malik to do is come back with a presence to him,” Vrabel said. “Making sure that when you’re the quarterback of one of 32 franchises, there’s a certain demeanor and way you have to carry yourself, and a presence, leadership. There’s a lot that goes into that other than just delivering a football.

“You [do] have to be really good at delivering the football, being accurate and making great decisions, and making sure it goes where it’s supposed to go. I felt like he did that [so far in offseason workouts]. He came back and was into it. There was certainly a bounce to him, and he’s continued to do that. It’s early on in the evaluation period, but that’s what he’s done.”

Glennon article

So far so good for him....
🤔🤷 it’s May
Yeah absolutely but also he's never been really good at delivering the football, accurate, or making great decisions.
That well regarded QB coach he went to in February and March did good with him.

The little the reporters were able to watch (and it's shamefully low) of OTAs, they're all seeing an improved player too.

It's no training camp, preseason, or the regular season so there's plenty more to improve upon but he got this step accomplished.

I don't expect he plays in 2023. Unless he does something super impressive, I expect some fictitious camp battle next year that Levis wins and Willis is probably the backup. Still, I feel like the guy does deserve some credit for putting the work in and improving

So far so good for him....
🤔🤷 it’s May
Yeah absolutely but also he's never been really good at delivering the football, accurate, or making great decisions.
That well regarded QB coach he went to in February and March did good with him.

The little the reporters were able to watch (and it's shamefully low) of OTAs, they're all seeing an improved player too.

It's no training camp, preseason, or the regular season so there's plenty more to improve upon but he got this step accomplished.

I don't expect he plays in 2023. Unless he does something super impressive, I expect some fictitious camp battle next year that Levis wins and Willis is probably the backup. Still, I feel like the guy does deserve some credit for putting the work in and improving
fair.
I’m not expecting anything, Kinda hopeful for a light Taysom hill role.

Reactions: Bri
An excellent day including work with the ones.

Reporters grasping-
There was that one pass. His touch could have been better.

I haven't changed my view at all on him not playing in 2023.
We are however deep enough to say- great job by the QB coaches he worked with and by him putting the work in. It's evident and kudos. That's it for now.

Willis called out for lack of leadership qualities more like being everyone's friend. Said to have improved night n day in this regard but now has to keep the respect he earned.

It seems like he and Levis had the same number of bad decisions as they did snaps.

Doing my best to restate-

Scout interview- he's definitely trade bait. Host doesn't think he's cut unless he flips in preseason. Said Titans aren't deep enough to cut a player with his elite athleticism- doesn't know sixth CB, some backup linemen or linebacker but says they'll keep an elite talent.

Doesn't think new GM matters w him. Everyone knows Malik and so Ran can also be known as the guy that gave up on him; that's also a negative. Joked that if he blows up the third string in week one of preseason the Titans should sit him until a trade is worked out.

Said Titans had a lot of national visitors to camp last year very curious of Malik. National reporters make the rounds to many camps and now Levis is there too so they'll be there. If he improved, the news will be out there and he can be traded easily. If he didn't, that's where the exposure will hurt him tremendously.

He said he wouldn't be surprised if Malik does well. Kelly boasting of a simplified offense and all the inexperienced WRs being right where they should in hopes of getting a job; it's perfect for Malik. What about when the first or second read isn't open? That's when people want to see both young QBs improve but here's a kid that if he just takes off then he could be a problem. Throw and make a bad decision or run and make a play. Backup QBs have been mitigating that risk forever but they didn't have his athleticism.

Titans need to get his value up and trade him so they can focus on Levis. Mentioned few openings, Carson Wentz looking for a home, and thinks ultimately no suitors and he stays. Thinks it's gonna be a problem in October or November. Said neither QB as third string is a good look for the organization and can't imagine either will be happy. They're being professional now but....it'll be a problem.

I think and hope we’ll see some of Willis during the season. In the few games the titans get a decent lead or blown out, put Willis in to get some time. They need to see whether he can even be a viable backup to Levis.

Of course that’s the other side, they need to see what Levis does too before moving on from Tanny. I think this is somewhat less important as he’ll basically a lock to remain with the team in 2024.

Held off Levis and will be the second string QB entering camp.

While I still have "this much" hope, it's a huge deal for him personally and kudos to that young man.

There about wasn't a soul on this earth that thought he could.

I don't think there's any way the Titans don't keep three QBs now. It's always been "if Malik hits his potential...." so you can't cut an elite athlete that appears headed there.

It's all just in shorts. This is the fascinating thing to look for. Defenders wanted Lamar and Vick and other famous ones in shorts and just getting near them. Their escapability and speed is the problem when tackling.
For me- this is a very doable next step for Malik- show those wheels! No one questioned this ability and were all over his arm n decisions. He hasn't done much of anything to impress me with his legs so I'm open to the idea he could look even better during camp. Please don't misunderstand this as he's Lamar or Vick. He's done nothing. It's simply that he supposedly has the wheels for escapability

Now it's said that this kid is gonna work with a private QB coach during his down time before camp.

He's textbook "how to improve" and I hope it pans out for him.
In the least, Levis has a great example of how the second year off-season "free time" should go. Willis doesn't need to be the end result we covet but a work ethic example will do just fine.
If Levis is with private QB coaches next February....maybe just maybe the Titans figured out a process of how to develop QBs.

Users who are viewing this thread