What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (2 Viewers)

You gotta believe McDaniels already holds offers though, no?  And wouldn't he have made some indication to that team he'd accept, otherwise they'd be moving on?  I'm not sure he'd even be available to a team that hasn't even begun the interviewing process.
There might be an understanding, but probably nothing binding. 

There might be an understanding, but probably nothing binding. 
Perhaps not legally, but you don't go back on it if you've said you're in.  The team can't offer them a contract, but they can say "we intend to offer you X contract, is that something you'll agree to?".  If the guy says no, the team isn't going to wait they are going to move on.  If he says yes, they are going to be pissed if he backs out later.

Titans GM Jon Robinson has "zero concern" about Marcus Mariota playing for his third head coach since entering the league in 2015.

"Marcus is a pretty resilient guy. He’s a very mentally tough guy," Robinson said. "I have zero concern in Marcus being able to adapt and learn, and do what’s best to get the offense going." Yet another coaching change is a concern for Mariota's development, but having him play another year with a coaching staff he regressed under in 2017 was a bigger worry. Assuming Robinson finds the right coach, this move should be good for Mariota's future.

Source: titansonline.com 

Jan 16 - 11:15 AM

not quoting, re third coach since 2015

Mularkey was Whisenhunt's assistant head coach and the Titans QB coach was Whisenhunt's offensive coordinator. They kept a ton of plays from Whis' offense. This third will truly be his first time in a new offense. 

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 1h1 hour ago

New Titans’ HC Mike Vrabel’s offensive coordinator hire is significant, and....Ohio St. co-offensive coordinator Ryan Day is considering becoming the Titans’ OC, according to league sources.

Cameron Wolfe‏ @CameronWolfe 53m53 minutes ago

Ryan Day played under Chip Kelly at New Hampshire, then began his coaching career under him at UNH. Kelly hired Day to be his QB coach in PHI, SF. Seems likely to bring back a lot more Oregon college scheme for Marcus Mariota, if hired.

:kicksrock:

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 18m18 minutes ago

Ohio St. co-offensive coordinator Ryan Day is expected to remain in Columbus and not become the Tennessee Titans’ offensive coordinator, per source. Titans’ OC search continues.

Good news for Titans' offense:

Paul Kuharsky‏ @PaulKuharskyNFL 4h4 hours ago

Vrabel: Spread is where the game's at. We're going to find those types of players. Have to be creative with what you are doing. Will do some similar things, not put our QB in harm's way. #Titans

https://twitter.com/PaulKuharskyNFL/status/955507339171385345
His spread will be more Sooners like than the traditional college one- spread with a TE

No one's sure what he means about finding those types of players. They're pretty well built to do this and always teased us every summer running some college-y stuff that never seemed to be done in the regular season. Baylor's coach came a few years ago. Helfrich was there. 

The rest of the quote was that he's all for screens and quick passes. Altogether, I think more like the Pats offense than some college-y one. We'll see. I'm good with either

This should be good news for Mariota and the whole offense. I was worried when Vrabel was hired because he is a defensive minded coach so the OC hire was going to be very important.  

The TItans had a special olympics event where the players interacted with them. Mariota wouldn't leave til every one had caught a pass. 

This guy...he is such a gem. 

Saying same thing as previous- If he ever puts it together and becomes a star, America will go NUTS for this guy. Jeter, Tebow...idk who to compare to, but it will be wow fast. 

The TItans had a special olympics event where the players interacted with them. Mariota wouldn't leave til every one had caught a pass. 

This guy...he is such a gem. 

Saying same thing as previous- If he ever puts it together and becomes a star, America will go NUTS for this guy. Jeter, Tebow...idk who to compare to, but it will be wow fast. 
:yes:

Not a huge stats guy (yet anyway) and has room to grow as a player. But as a leader and person, he's already a star. :wub:

So epically glad the Bucs took Winston. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
JRob is expected to make a TEN YEAR offer to Mariota.

I would say this

rookie year- see the intelligence, awesome demeanor and work ethic, mistakes but impressive. 

second year- good, progress, til injury

third year- offense wayyyy bad giving him horrible choices and few of them- way too often he either had to take a sack or force it. Incredible demeanor, many lesser men wouldn't have been supportive of the O and the coach in such a situation. Performance, not so good. Two very bad games which he honorably took on the chin even after the coach blamed the WRs. Outstanding ability to call his own plays. It was often the only time fans liked the offense.

The progress we all want (an increase in yardage and touchdowns) hasn't been there. He has the top level brain, top level poise, top level determination to make a clutch read and pass as evidence of Matthews and Walker being two of the best on 3rd down, top level (maybe best ever) inside the red zone. He has led the NFL either all three years or two of three years in red zone efficiency. (He has not had a top WR. Hunter and DGB didn't pan out, Davis was very much a wet behind the ears rookie. ) He's gonna get the bulk of the hopeful 4k yards 30 TDs on everything else though, between the twenties and maybe even in much of the first three quarters. This is just football. Chill and make some passes. I am very confident he can do it but he hasn't

There is no great year. There are no super stats which might make most people say sign him long term and give him a truckload of $.

Fifth year option guys make a lot of money for one year. I don't know what his is but I'd guess 15-20 mil. The Titans GM, JRob, is looking to sign Lewan and then Mariota to TEN YEAR contracts. The NFL, the NFLPA, and so many will be extremely intrigued by this. It will be pattern setting. Lewan is arguably the top T and Mariota is a nice looking young QB with potential like a handful of others. Ten years is odd and not the usual. The Titans will want them both, so why not? Contracts are not guaranteed, so why not? JRob is widely viewed as an interesting GM. Some love him, some not so much, but he sure has the NFL world's attention. This is going to be interesting

The Titans could very easily draft a top QB or a top T. In some mocks, the top tackle is falling past them. This means he is not typically as good as the top tackle in other years but still a very good player.

I enjoy drafting a QB for the Titans when I participate in mocks. I get insane trade offers a minute later. I do not get the trade offers before as no one expects me to draft one. Yes, it's ideal to trade before ya pick, but even if I send out a feeler email I don't get the offers. Baker and Lamar are anywhere from first to 32nd and have been for months. Mason Rudolph (my fave QB other than those two) is late first to second and he has spent a lot of time with the better teams- both the Pats and Steelers seem extremely intrigued by him. 

The way I see it. Baker had many detractors a month ago and Lamar had some. They were widely viewed as late picks. Now the love has come out and some argue they could be top ten picks.

Other than Vander Esch, I don't see a gem the Titans could get at 25 that doesn't have a comparable player available in the second. Esch is supposedly now going to the Ravens in mocks and/or long before the Titans. I like the ILB, OLB, CBs, and DEs. The safeties are falling.

This is an odd draft with a few teams having multiple second-round picks. JRob loves to trade and even traded last draft because he was bored. (Yep he said that) The Colts, Pats, and Browns GMs are also widely viewed as opportunistic traders.

Drafting a QB could be a way to keep Mariota's value down and a way to ensure they don't have garbage QB play when he is injured. The Titans have had Mett, Cassel, and Weeden so...ouch, it's been pretty rough. JRob HAS SAID they will draft a backup QB in this draft. When he was asked how likely, he said "we'll get one." The interviews make it appear that they will draft a later round QB but it's not like the Titans won't know these name players that go in the first.

The Pats traded away two good young QBs last year and if they don't get their future QB they are going to seem borderline unprepared. Luck has been hurt way longer than expected. The Browns and Bills have QB issues. 

Let's go back to the T for a sec- the Titans have Jack Conklin likely to be on pup and miss the first four weeks or so. Many tackles convert to guard and the Titans have issues at RG. They could both draft a T and use him or trade the top T if he falls to them.

In an odd odd way, this could play out that the Titans 25th pick has unusual value to be traded. I think everything is set up well for a trade down scenario- every element is there. If you go pull up a mock and consider you're JRob for a sec, I think you'll come to the same conclusion. It really seems like a strong possibility they trade down.

Fifth year option guys make a lot of money for one year. I don't know what his is but I'd guess 15-20 mil. 
I think most people are expecting the Winston option to cost $20.6 Million, so just about the range you were looking at but the top end.

I think most people are expecting the Winston option to cost $20.6 Million, so just about the range you were looking at but the top end.
Yeah. I don't think they pay that. I think that's a security blanket option. I think they want to lock him up at some other value. It's really difficult to gauge what he's worth due to injuries and a horrible OC (or two!)

Yeah. I don't think they pay that. I think that's a security blanket option. I think they want to lock him up at some other value. It's really difficult to gauge what he's worth due to injuries and a horrible OC (or two!)
Do you think JimmyG and/or Cousins got overpaid? Either in terms of difference to their teams W/L record or in terms of relative market value. JimmyG never actually hit the market so that's somewhat speculative I realize.

Do you think JimmyG and/or Cousins got overpaid? Either in terms of difference to their teams W/L record or in terms of relative market value. JimmyG never actually hit the market so that's somewhat speculative I realize.
I think it's too twisted. Yes and no. The cap has gone up and adding in the carryover, then no their value is fine since they are integral leaders of their team. Numbers wise, yeah they are awfully pricey. I would be fine with Brady (or Peyton recently) getting paid just about anything. Cousins and Jimmy G haven't done squat relative to those two. Honestly, it seems like "good for their agents, they did a good job" and otherwise very difficult to gauge.

GLOWING reports about Mariota during OTAs. 

People are scared to project too positive too high stats for this season. It sounds like he's either gonna burn ya for FF or make your season for FF. 

Vrabel has had Jonnu Smith as the FB and at WR during OTAs. (Jonnu is possibly the best downfield blocker in the NFL. He's amazing) Vrabel has been adamant about WRs needing to block when Mariota runs and being what keeps him healthy or gets him injured. Smith supposedly was the example guy for the WRs. The plan is very much for Mariota to run a lot this year and they're working on the blocking for that. 

Vrabel explained that if they block well and Mariota gets hurt, he can live with that- he won't want to, but football is what it is. He can't tolerate a sitting duck scenario and he will not. He mentioned Parcells benching WRs for not blocking well (Meshawn) and said he's never forgotten that and will do the same. 

Akrum Wadley was sat for watching Mariota run by. Lewis and Henry blocked well.

Backup QBs will be expected to run. He said it's not all about Marcus' speed but about execution. If they block well, a QB should be able to waltz on through. 

Each day of OTAs, Vrabel was blown away by Marcus though. It's like Whisenhunt, Mularkey, Peter King, Bill Cowher....anyone that spent a week at Titans camp... they just fall in love with Marcus. 

Marcus has been extremely critical of every throw like he did as a rookie. People seem to have forgotten his almost OCD like tendency with that. 

Corey Davis had been awful at turning his shoulders and where to expect the ball. Marcus got on him time and again and supposedly Davis shined after. 

Marcus throws a deep ball real soft for the WR to run under it and calls this an air ball. He doesn't think anyone can stop Taylor if he throws it right, says it's on him 100%. 

On some trick play, Marcus tossed to Lewis, Lewis paused, then threw a pass to Marcus. On another, he flipped it backward to Marcus. Marcus was blocking on some wide runs by Lewis. There seems to be a love of trick plays between them.

Marcus complimented Tajae as most improved.

Davis 3/4 speed reminds him of Michael Jordan. At full speed, he doesn't have the same body control. He said they're working on things and he's starting to realize the difference there. Jordan comment asked and he said Davis can catch anything anywhere near him, anything, and it's something ya gotta see to believe.

Observations from Wednesday’s Titans OTA

Excerpt:

Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota once again had a solid day, connecting on short, middle-range, and some deep passes throughout the session. He threw a dart to tight end Delanie Walker while he was streaking across the middle, although safety Kevin Byard wasn’t bashful in letting Walker know how he thought he got open. “Nice push off,” Byard told Walker. Mariota sailed a few over intended targets, but for the most part he looked sharp, and accurate. He looked especially fast when he tucked the ball and ran with it. Mariota sprinted to the sideline on one play, and ran past defenders along the way.

Jim Wyatt of titansonline.com said Marcus Mariota has looked "fast" this offseason.

Mariota has looked noticeably faster since shedding the knee brace he wore for much of last season. The 24-year-old is still adjusting to a new offense under first-year head coach Mike Vrabel but seems to be trending in the right direction. In particular, Wyatt noted that Mariota's throwing technique looked much cleaner during OTAs. The former Heisman Trophy winner is hoping for a bounce-back season after throwing a career-high 15 interceptions in 2017.

Source: titansonline.com 

Jun 22 - 4:49 PM

going to be a great season for Mariota.

A change in the top 5 is coming in a big way this year. Out with the old, in with the new
That’s not likely. Even if he makes the leap people were expecting last year the supporting cast is pretty average. I think he’s more of a buy low for dynasty. Doesn’t look that attractive in redraft.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/02/marcus-mariota-titans-receivers-worked-out-in-nashville-over-the-weekend/

Marcus Mariota, Titans receivers worked out in Nashville over the weekend

Posted by Josh Alper on July 2, 2018, 12:31 PM EDT

At the tail end of the Titans’ offseason program, quarterback Marcus Mariota said that he would be gathering the team’s receivers for workouts before the start of training camp later this month.

Mariota didn’t say exactly when those workouts would take place, but Jim Wyatt of the team’s website reports that the quarterback brought his teammates togetherin Nashville on Saturday and Sunday.

Wide receivers Corey Davis, Rishard Matthews, Taywan Taylor and Tajae Sharpe joined Mariota and tight end Jonnu Smith for workouts in California early in the offseason. Wyatt reports some of those players were in Nashville over the weekend as well as others that weren’t involved in the first round of work, but there’s no full account of who was at these sessions.

Matthews and Davis missed time in the offseason because of injuries and the Titans are running a new offense under coordinator Matt LaFleur this season, so any extra work should be beneficial as the team tries to build on last year’s playoff appearance.

One detailed review of Mariota's poor game in week three actually reviewed the staff as having an awful game. He was able to point out just about everyone (including the OL) in the wrong spot at some point.

To him, Davis has run a route wrong each week of preseason and he doesn't see Marcus having the trust in him that he has seen in Matthews or Walker. 

He said Marcus is the type of player that does exactly what the coach asks to the best of his ability. He saw two bad throws and that's it. 

The Rams system of slants and screens are useful to settle a QB down and get them quick work but this is Mularkey's team, this is a smashmouth team and the problem wasn't Mariota. He thought Vrabel should have lined up two TEs and ran it right at them. LaFleur's panic move was to go with the Rams offense that is unfamiliar here still while it should have been going with what works for this offense. This is also going to be a concern for Marcus and Walker. The Rams didn't use a TE much and Walker IS the panic move. If Jonnu is to be the heir to Walker then he needs to become that too. 

NINE times! The first string OL failed to communicate well and pickup a linebacker. OL coach clearly communicating with Lewan and he was clearly relaying but they did not adjust. I did not know but OL coaches don't usually do this but only talk between series. That showed a lack of confidence or overcoaching and was a bad sign. Most concerning was watching Jones (C) point out the linebacker presnap and they failed to pick him up. He pointed him out 7 of 9 times. It's difficult to point out what the communication could be if the C is pointing him out but clearly there was no adjustment or an improper adjustment

Lewan missed only one block, Smith missed just one block, Spain got a perfect grade. This is near their history. They should have ran and/or rolled out with the TE near Lewan, sticking to their strength until the others get in sync, Most concerning to him was the obvious hard rules given to Mariota. A QB can't be tied down all the time and has to be able to adlib to a degree. Mariota is a responsible QB and a cerebral QB. He is exactly the type that you allow to adlib because he won't do it much and will use it to escape. This has long been the cause of QB injuries and interceptions. When you consider Marcus' injury history and athleticism, it's highly unacceptable to have him tied down every play. 

Was just going to post in here asking how Mariota has been doing. Was so happy to see a new offense and was thinking Mariota could be a steal in the late rounds but this reads like more stubborn, non-adaptive coaches. Ugh...

Maybe will be one to watch after the season starts and they settle into their offense. May be a WW pickup it's sounding like.

One detailed review of Mariota's poor game in week three actually reviewed the staff as having an awful game. He was able to point out just about everyone (including the OL) in the wrong spot at some point.

To him, Davis has run a route wrong each week of preseason and he doesn't see Marcus having the trust in him that he has seen in Matthews or Walker. 

He said Marcus is the type of player that does exactly what the coach asks to the best of his ability. He saw two bad throws and that's it. 

The Rams system of slants and screens are useful to settle a QB down and get them quick work but this is Mularkey's team, this is a smashmouth team and the problem wasn't Mariota. He thought Vrabel should have lined up two TEs and ran it right at them. LaFleur's panic move was to go with the Rams offense that is unfamiliar here still while it should have been going with what works for this offense. This is also going to be a concern for Marcus and Walker. The Rams didn't use a TE much and Walker IS the panic move. If Jonnu is to be the heir to Walker then he needs to become that too. 

NINE times! The first string OL failed to communicate well and pickup a linebacker. OL coach clearly communicating with Lewan and he was clearly relaying but they did not adjust. I did not know but OL coaches don't usually do this but only talk between series. That showed a lack of confidence or overcoaching and was a bad sign. Most concerning was watching Jones (C) point out the linebacker presnap and they failed to pick him up. He pointed him out 7 of 9 times. It's difficult to point out what the communication could be if the C is pointing him out but clearly there was no adjustment or an improper adjustment

Lewan missed only one block, Smith missed just one block, Spain got a perfect grade. This is near their history. They should have ran and/or rolled out with the TE near Lewan, sticking to their strength until the others get in sync, Most concerning to him was the obvious hard rules given to Mariota. A QB can't be tied down all the time and has to be able to adlib to a degree. Mariota is a responsible QB and a cerebral QB. He is exactly the type that you allow to adlib because he won't do it much and will use it to escape. This has long been the cause of QB injuries and interceptions. When you consider Marcus' injury history and athleticism, it's highly unacceptable to have him tied down every play. 
That gives me some degree of hope. That eventually they'll get it, both the coaches (let them play) and the players (stop thinking, listen, then execute).

At the same time it gives me pause - what if LafFleur is incapable of adjusting? What if Vrabel is pig headed about "his" way instead of what works here?

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Not excited to hear about Davis's route running issues and lack of synergy with Mariota. :unsure:
It seemed every reporter asked Davis about one route and Mariota was asked during his presser about that route. He's young. One bad route each week is probably normal. He probably needed to hear how it impacts things; how it isn't just "winging it" on a route, but losing trust from your QB. He didn't play many games during his rookie year, so with many glowing reports this summer, I feel like this is just part of maturing. 

LaFleur shared a nice story explaining how at a team BBQ, Marcus was the guy everyone wanted their son to meet. He remembered every kids name and asks their dad how they're doing. Said what's it take to be a guy father's want their kids to meet and remembering names? He tries so hard to be the best person he can be. He said Mike (Vrabel) and he were discussing how Marcus even affects them in this way. He makes people be a better person.

Users who are viewing this thread