What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mike Glennon, NYG (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Bucs coach Greg Schiano believes the team has asked rookie QB Mike Glennon to throw too much.
"I think we’ve put Mike in a bad spot," Schiano said Monday. "We’re throwing the ball, he’s thrown too many passes.'' Glennon has averaged 45 attempts over his first four games, which is indeed far too many for a third-round rookie. All the attempts have created some nice volume for desperate QB2 streamers, but Glennon should settle in at much closer to 30-35 passes per game.

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter
Saw this; yes put the game in Mike James' hands.

{????}

Rotoworld:

Bucs coach Greg Schiano believes the team has asked rookie QB Mike Glennon to throw too much.
"I think we’ve put Mike in a bad spot," Schiano said Monday. "We’re throwing the ball, he’s thrown too many passes.'' Glennon has averaged 45 attempts over his first four games, which is indeed far too many for a third-round rookie. All the attempts have created some nice volume for desperate QB2 streamers, but Glennon should settle in at much closer to 30-35 passes per game.

{????}
Bucs are screwed.

Rotoworld:

{????}
Bucs are screwed.
[Roger Goodell voice]: With the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Louisville Quarterback Teddy Bridgewater

Glennon's just over 5 yards per attempt and the solution to the offensive woes is running the ball? Schiano thinks pounding the rock is going to fix this. Brilliant! :bow:

Didnt Glennon break some rookie attempt record or something? LOL. Oh Schiano, you really are a special kind of stoopid.

Aside from one week, Glennon has quietly putting up QB2 numbers the last several weeks. I'm very close to starting him over Rivers and the Chiefs matchup.

Any thoughts going forward? Have the Bucs found their QB? He looks pretty poised, can move well for a 6'7" guy, and has a good arm.

He does not have a good arm at all, especially on deep passes, but have to admit he was excellent on Sunday. He is very accurate on the short to intermediate routes, which is worth something.

He lacks anticipation with his throws too, but I'm not sure that's just because after VJax he really has no receiving options at all. I think a lot of his scrub crew is not exactly where they should be, but I'm no coach.

He does not have a good arm at all, especially on deep passes, but have to admit he was excellent on Sunday. He is very accurate on the short to intermediate routes, which is worth something.

He lacks anticipation with his throws too, but I'm not sure that's just because after VJax he really has no receiving options at all. I think a lot of his scrub crew is not exactly where they should be, but I'm no coach.
He certainly has enough arm strength at this level. His touch on long passes is not great, that I will give you, though. His arm strength was something that was noted many times throughout his progression from college to the pros.

He certainly has enough arm strength at this level. His touch on long passes is not great, that I will give you, though. His arm strength was something that was noted many times throughout his progression from college to the pros.
It's not touch. He can't get the ball downfield. Half the time it sails 5 feet out of bounds or the wideout has to stop and come back for it.

Not hyperbole. He tossed a decent one this past weekend but I've only seen a few good ones from him.

His arm strength has always been great. His accuracy with that arm strength is a work in progress. His biggest knock in college was handling the pressure from the pass rush. I've been surprised at how composed he has been dealing with the pressure at NFL speed, and he has done a good job at taking care of the ball. Considering the circumstances of him becoming the starter, and the constant injuries to his surrounding cast, I think he is doing well as a rookie. He will only get better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cosell: Glennon 'far more advanced than RG3 playing NFL QB'

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

November 21, 2013 8:31 pm ET

In a season full of tough weeks, this last one has been among the toughest for Redskins second-year quarterback Robert Griffin III. It started Sunday with this inexplicable interception against the Eagles:

(click on linked article to see the video clip)

A throw Griffin would later explain was a consequence of his receivers not being able to get open.

(Funny story: Turns out, RG3 reportedly called the wrong pass protection on the play.)

And now, a year after Griffin led the Redskins to seven straight wins and a division title, there's already talk that the organization gave up way too much to draft him in April 2012.

On Thursday, NFL Films' Greg Cosell, who probably watches more game film than anyone not employed by an NFL team, said that Buccaneers rookie Mike Glennon, who replaced Josh Freeman in Week 4, is already farther along in his development than Griffin.

“Mike Glennon is so far more advanced than RG3 playing NFL quarterback that it's not even close,” Cosell said during an appearance on 98.7 The Fan in Tampa Bay. ”They shouldn't even be in the same discussion.”

What Cosell sees on film matches up with Football Outsiders' advanced metrics. FO ranks Glennon 15th in total value among all quarterbacks; RG3 is 29th, just ahead of Matt Schaub and Christian Ponder.

In seven starts, Glennon has thrown for over 1,500 yards, with 11 touchdowns and just 4 interceptions. Griffin, meanwhile, has made 10 starts, thrown for 2,714 yards with 14 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He's also rushed for 345 yards on 66 attempts (5.2 YPC).

“I think they (the Bucs) are getting really quality quarterback play from Mike Glennon, who is without question the best rookie quarterback in this class,” Cosell continued. ... “When your quarterback makes difficult anticipation throws, everything about your offense tends to look better.”

And when your quarterback heaves an off-balance arm-punt into the end zone that's intercepted, the offense tends to look noticeably worse.

Is Mike Glennon already a better QB than RGIII?By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

We called Mike Glennon this season's best rookie quarterback by far a few weeks ago. That was before Glennon helped Tampa win two consecutive games, including a sensational performance against Atlanta that included 41 points and just three incompletions.

No matter who the team's coach is next year, the organization will have an interesting decision with Glennon. Is he their quarterback of the future?

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes that Glennon already is ahead of other big name young quarterbacks.

"Mike Glennon is so far more advanced than RGIII playing NFL quarterback that it's not even close," Cosell told WFHS-FM in Tampa this week. "They shouldn't even be in the same discussion."

Glennon's numbers (11 TDs, 4 INTs) are solid, but he's a player you have to watch week-after-week to appreciate. His pocket movement is terrific for a young player. Cosell cited Glennon's veteran-like ability to anticipate throws.

"When your quarterback makes difficult anticipation throws, everything about your offense tends to look better," Cosell said. "For instance, I'll give you an example of a throw that was made this week by Glennon. When he hit Underwood for 20 yards in the second quarter down inside the 10, that was a classic anticipation throw.

"He threw Underwood open. If I showed you the film and froze it just as Glennon was making his delivery, you'd say, 'Who's he throwing it to?' That's a litmus test throw that helps measure future success.

"That throw would not have been made by Josh Freeman. It wouldn't have entered his mind."

Cosell is one of the best analysts in the country because of his experience and dedication to watching film. He's not saying that Glennon will have a better career than Griffin, just that Glennon's development is well ahead at the moment. Griffin's lack of offseason practice after his torn ACL has showed up on the field this season.

Reasonable minds could disagree, but Glennon's excellent start to his career is inarguable. He's played like a first-round draft pick.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" previewed "Thursday Night Football" and "stuck a fork" in three unlucky teams.

I have to admit he's been better the past 3 weeks than I thought, but I still think his upside is a mediocre game manager type like Matt Schaub.

That's kind of ok I guess, but I will hate if they pass on a great QB for him. But at this point he's almost definitely going to be the starter in 2014.

I have to admit he's been better the past 3 weeks than I thought, but I still think his upside is a mediocre game manager type like Matt Schaub.

That's kind of ok I guess, but I will hate if they pass on a great QB for him. But at this point he's almost definitely going to be the starter in 2014.
god, I hope not for Buc fans sake. false hope is much worse than hitting rock bottom, tearing up the blueprint, and starting over from scratch. glennon could set the franchise back years. welcome to mediocrity.

god, I hope not for Buc fans sake. false hope is much worse than hitting rock bottom, tearing up the blueprint, and starting over from scratch. glennon could set the franchise back years. welcome to mediocrity.
I guess you aren't reading that high praise from, you know, actual NFL analysts? This team had an 8-2 Seattle team on the ropes in Seattle, and plenty of other opportunities to get victories. I wouldn't mind a coaching change, but I don't think the personnel needs to be overhauled. There is a lot of talent here.

I guess you aren't reading that high praise from, you know, actual NFL analysts? This team had an 8-2 Seattle team on the ropes in Seattle, and plenty of other opportunities to get victories. I wouldn't mind a coaching change, but I don't think the personnel needs to be overhauled. There is a lot of talent here.
Oh for sure, but I was focusing in specifically on your QB Glennon. Do you really think he's ever going to lead a team to the playoffs? What's his upside? Andy Dalton? pass on that. like your said, too much talent to piss away in their prime to settle for a Mike Glennon running the show.

What the ? Have u watched him play at all? The guy looks ultra impressive. 11-4, td/int ratio with 62% Cmp perc? You're nuts. Go look at some big time QB's 1st year stats, as a Giants fan im glad you werent the GM ready to draft a qb after Eli's rookie campaign lol. Glennon looks awesome actually

What the ? Have u watched him play at all? The guy looks ultra impressive. 11-4, td/int ratio with 62% Cmp perc? You're nuts. Go look at some big time QB's 1st year stats, as a Giants fan im glad you werent the GM ready to draft a qb after Eli's rookie campaign lol. Glennon looks awesome actually
Yes, I have watched him play. I've actually gone to the games as a matter of fact. What are you watching? He's a stiff, robotic guy stands tall in the pocket. I give him some credit for being accurate from 0-9 yards, somewhat ok around 10-15 yards, and just not NFL quality anything over 15 yards. He's just not got a good arm for an accurate deep throw. Does not have the arm talent. Looking at Glennon, his stats rely on a ton of checkdowns to his running backs, and safe throws. He is still riding the bike with training wheels. He's working with a dumbed down playbook. He's gotten better, and it's good to see. I'll give him credit for improving game to game. But he's no franchise savior. Bucs will be better off drafting a top QB next year.

Oh for sure, but I was focusing in specifically on your QB Glennon. Do you really think he's ever going to lead a team to the playoffs? What's his upside? Andy Dalton? pass on that. like your said, too much talent to piss away in their prime to settle for a Mike Glennon running the show.
And he's probably more similar to a guy like Flacco actually. I dont think the Ravens were too upset with their Superbowl MVP last year.

And he's probably more similar to a guy like Flacco actually. I dont think the Ravens were too upset with their Superbowl MVP last year.
awful comparison. Flacco has "arm talent". His deep ball has incredible accuracy. Could not have found a guy more a polar opposite to Glennon than Flacco. He's the anti-Flacco.

Well u need to open your eyes at the games. Every time ive watched him, he's making all the throws and accurate throws at that. And every scouting report u find has his arm strength as a plus to boot

Being a Bucs fan I'm torn. The guy went 20-23 the other day. He went up to Seattle and made some great throws and didnt let the crowd or defense get to him. He's doing this with mostly scrub guys nobody ever heard of at skill positions. He looks more than just a game manager to me. He looks way better than any other rookie qb. However, do you pass on a franchise qb? I don't know, that is a tough call.

I guess I'm a glass half full guy when it comes to this stuff. I watch the guy play and keep saying to myself, "Whoa, nice throw." He's a rookie QB who wasn't supposed to be doing anything other than holding a clipboard this season. He was thrust into the starting role surrounding ridiculous team turmoil and controversy. I'd say he's performed exceptionally well under those circumstances.

With a full compliment of weapons and an offseason/training camp as the starter I think he can be much better than mediocre.

Well u need to open your eyes at the games. Every time ive watched him, he's making all the throws and accurate throws at that. And every scouting report u find has his arm strength as a plus to boot
He sucks at the deep accurate throw. Show me some proof of his deep accurate throws. A video cutup maybe? I'll wait. Strong arms count for nothing if accuracy isn't part of the equation.

awful comparison. Flacco has "arm talent". His deep ball has incredible accuracy. Could not have found a guy more a polar opposite to Glennon than Flacco. He's the anti-Flacco.
It's not an awful comparison, and many commentators have used that comparison as well. He has a very strong arm. He is doing very well for a rookie, and he is leading an offense that is plagued with injuries. I actually hope he goes to another team where the fans appreciate him.

Also, all this franchise qb talk is a little exaggerated. Last year the super bowl was Flacco vs Kaeperneck. Can Glennon have as a good of a career as those guys? Sure, why not. They are all good qb's, not elite ones. Put a good supporting cast around Glennon and if he continues to develop, the Bucs can win with him.

[SIZE=10.5pt]NFL.COM[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Analysis[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Strengths[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Progress as a passer began to show in the final three games of the year, connecting on 65 percent of his throws for 274 yards a game, 11 touchdowns and just two picks in wins over Clemson, Maryland and Louisville in the Belk Bowl. Uses his height to see receivers running open in the short and medium ranges, making accurate throws to lead them into open areas after the catch. His long legs dont prevent him from running a pro-style attack, as he seems able to work from under center and run bootlegs. Arm strength is certainly sufficient to distribute the ball all over the field, and he can place it between defenders over the middle when his target sits down in zones. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Weaknesses[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]His average foot quickness will cause him issues trying to avoid defenders in a collapsing pocket. Tends to retreat instead of stepping up to deliver in the face of pressure -- though his arm gives him a chance to get the ball out of bounds or find an open target while still backpedalling. And while he has the arm and tight spiral to threaten defenses with the deep ball, his inconsistent accuracy and reading of coverages keep him from being efficient in the vertical game. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]NFL Comparison[/SIZE]

Joe Flacco

Gruden:

Gruden also gave a flattering answer when asked to compare Glennon to a current NFL quarterback.

“If you want a recent comparison, I don't think the similarities to [SIZE=medium]Joe Flacco[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] are unfair,’’ Gruden said. “They're both 6-foot-6, they both have really nice throwing motions and they both have a nice, compact stroke that just looks effortless. If you watch end-zone film of Flacco, there are times when you go, 'Wow!' when he snaps one off. I found myself saying the same with Glennon a few times."[/SIZE]

Flacco is a better athlete than Glennon, but both are towering quarterbacks who can see the entire field. Each has the arm strength to dissect a defense if given time and receivers who can get open down the field. Flacco isn't a fiery leader, and scouts are still seemingly laid-back leadership style. -- Todd McShay

Raiderfan, yea hes the anti-flacco lol. Amateur hr. Move along

I guess I'm a glass half full guy when it comes to this stuff. I watch the guy play and keep saying to myself, "Whoa, nice throw." He's a rookie QB who wasn't supposed to be doing anything other than holding a clipboard this season. He was thrust into the starting role surrounding ridiculous team turmoil and controversy. I'd say he's performed exceptionally well under those circumstances.

With a full compliment of weapons and an offseason/training camp as the starter I think he can be much better than mediocre.
You know what, I'm a glass half full guy too. I don't have an agenda to rip Glennon. He's a lot better QB than I gave him credit for earlier in the season. I think a lot of people lumped him with Schiano and he got hated on by the inference that he was a "schiano man". I did it. Did not want to like him. I didn't like Freeman either, but Glennon has this doochbag military haircut and blank rookie stare and you see him with Schiano and it's hard not think he's going to be awful. I disliked him from the start.

But I am admitting that the kid has some moxie. He's showed some poise in the pocket, and looks like he's reading the defenses. His connection with VJAX has greatly improved as he doesn't just indiscriminantly toss errant throws over VJAX's head. Now his tosses are better, timing is better, accuracy (short ball) is better. He's not wasting his targets. I underestimated him. Still don't think he has the arm talent to be anything more than a game manager.

Breaking Down Mike Glennon's Pro Day Workout
ByAlex Dunlap
(Senior Analyst) on March 21, 20135,651 reads
Mike Glennon's NFL pro day at N.C. State affirmed what most everybody already knew: He's pretty darn good.
Glennon has been an intriguing NFL draft prospect to cover and follow through the 2013 evaluation process. At N.C. State, Glennon ran a pro-style offense and was the ACC's leading passer in 2012. His sub-59 percent accuracy was cause for concern, but when watching back the film, one is quick to notice the frequency with which receivers were dropping easy passes.

No one seems to have an "official count" on the exact number of NFL teams in attendance at Carter-Finlay Stadium Wednesday, but in speaking to one person in attendance, he rattled off five teams right off the bat—the Colts, 49ers, Bills, Jaguars and Browns. He said "It wasn't like all 32 teams were there," but it seems like there was a fairly substantial group on hand.

Bucky Brooks of the NFL Network was at the workouts, and tweeted the following:

That coincides with what most analysts have noticed about Glennon, and what one would reasonably expect out of him at his pro day. Glennon is a smart, hard-working player with a nearly prototypical NFL frame. He still has plenty of room to grow into his very skinny 6'7" body at only 220 pounds. Glennon has a terrific arm, one of the strongest in the 2013 NFL draft, and is one of the few in this entire crop that puts good touch on the deep ball while maintaining accuracy. A prospect like Ryan Nassib may have a stronger arm, but his accuracy currently goes bananas when having to harness his arm into downfield touch throws.

LOL, how many scouting reports you want me to find to contradict your eyes raiderfan? haha

Joe Flacco didn't get paid $20 million being a caretaker of a Super Bowl winning team. His deep ball accuracy is perhaps the best in the league. I'd put him top 3 at least. Glennon would not even be rated on deep ball accuracy based on the limited number of deep ball throws, but I'd put him bottom 3 at best. amateur hour indeed.

fantasy stud said:
Being a Bucs fan I'm torn. The guy went 20-23 the other day. He went up to Seattle and made some great throws and didnt let the crowd or defense get to him. He's doing this with mostly scrub guys nobody ever heard of at skill positions. He looks more than just a game manager to me. He looks way better than any other rookie qb. However, do you pass on a franchise qb? I don't know, that is a tough call.
Who is the franchise QB in the 2014 draft the Bucs will have an opportunity to get?

stale scouting reports aside, in the NFL, show me a cut up of glennon's deep accurate throws. still waiting. I'll hang up and listen.

Man you're just foolish, Flacco is a career 60% thrower, so he throws a better deep ball then Glennon, WOW!!!! You dont need to have a 60 yard cannon of an arm to be a franchise qb. Go look at Eli Manning for crying out loud. His accuracy has always been in question, but he has guts, and is money when it counts. oh and has 2 superbowl rings and MVP's to show for it. Oh and Eli is a career 58% passer, u dont hear GMen fans upset over having him as their 'franchise' qb do you? Geez. You act like this guy is Chad Pennington haha.

Man oh man. You should be doing backflips watching this guy perform like this in his rookie season.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Da Gildz said:
He sucks at the deep accurate throw. Show me some proof of his deep accurate throws. A video cutup maybe? I'll wait. Strong arms count for nothing if accuracy isn't part of the equation.
This is my main hangup. If he could make these throws, or at least make them look somewhat professional, I would be all in.

His deep throws are why the term "duck" was invented.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Grahamburn said:

You know what, I'm a glass half full guy too. I don't have an agenda to rip Glennon. He's a lot better QB than I gave him credit for earlier in the season. I think a lot of people lumped him with Schiano and he got hated on by the inference that he was a "schiano man". I did it. Did not want to like him. I didn't like Freeman either, but Glennon has this doochbag military haircut and blank rookie stare and you see him with Schiano and it's hard not think he's going to be awful. I disliked him from the start.

But I am admitting that the kid has some moxie. He's showed some poise in the pocket, and looks like he's reading the defenses. His connection with VJAX has greatly improved as he doesn't just indiscriminantly toss errant throws over VJAX's head. Now his tosses are better, timing is better, accuracy (short ball) is better. He's not wasting his targets. I underestimated him. Still don't think he has the arm talent to be anything more than a game manager.
We're 7 starts into his career. All things considered, I'm impressed. Is this as good as he's going to be? I don't know. We can't always assume a guy is just going to improve because he's looked "good enough" early in his career. Josh Freeman comes to mind...

Glennon does seem to "get it" though. Moxie is definitely an appropriate word.

Raiderfan32904 said:
I think a lot of people lumped him with Schiano and he got hated on by the inference that he was a "schiano man". I did it. Did not want to like him. I didn't like Freeman either, but Glennon has this doochbag military haircut and blank rookie stare and you see him with Schiano and it's hard not think he's going to be awful. I disliked him from the start.
That is so shallow.

Joe Flacco didn't get paid $20 million being a caretaker of a Super Bowl winning team. His deep ball accuracy is perhaps the best in the league. I'd put him top 3 at least. Glennon would not even be rated on deep ball accuracy based on the limited number of deep ball throws, but I'd put him bottom 3 at best. amateur hour indeed.
You cant make this up. Flacco is the WORST Qb in football this year throwing the deep ball. Any more nuggets u want to share with us Raiderfan? LOL

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/joe-flacco-nfls-least-accurate-quarterback-deep-passes-46374.html

fantasy stud said:
Who is the franchise QB in the 2014 draft the Bucs will have an

Possibly Bridgewater or one of the other top rated qb's like the Oregon kid if they have a top 5 pick

Raiderfan32904 said:
Da Gildz said:
ProFootballFocus has a Deep Passing Accuracy metric, where deep passes are defined as attempts targeted at least 20 yards downfield. Glennon is #8 among NFL QBs with at least 10 deep pass attempts.

PFF also rates him higher on those throws than on other distances:

Behind LOS: -1.1

0-9 yards downfield: -2.9

10-19 yards downfield: +0.7

20+ yards downfield: +4.3

:shrug:

You cant make this up. Flacco is the WORST Qb in football this year throwing the deep ball. Any more nuggets u want to share with us Raiderfan? LOL

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/joe-flacco-nfls-least-accurate-quarterback-deep-passes-46374.html
:goodposting:

That same PFF deep passing accuracy metric has Flacco ranked #36 among QBs who have taken at least 25% of their teams' snaps. He is 10/53 for 429 yards, 0 TDs, and 5 interceptions on deep pass attempts this season.

Bunch of fair to middlin' maybe decent bye week QB choices and I'm settling on Glennon.

Last 5 weeks DET is no. 1 in FFPA to QBs: 2 TDs to Weeden, 3 to Dalton, 3 to Romo, 2 to Cutler & McCown, 4 to Roethlisberger. Glennon now has some games under his belt, Rainey & Leonard give a nice mix in the run game, Bucs have won 2 in a row (I mean they actually seem to be playing for Schiano, as though they want him to keep his job, the offense anyway). Reads like a really good matchup.

Is TB still going to draft a QB at this rate? Looks funny, like a rail out there, but he ain't been bad at all.

8 TDs to 1 Int last 5 games and with VJax ballin, you have to think he can do some damage maybe even get a few garbage time scores against a bad secondary in Detroit.

At least I hope.

Rotoworld:

Mike Glennon completed 14-of-21 passes for 247 yards and two touchdowns in the Bucs' Week 12 win over the Lions.
His four carries for -17 yards will sting a bit in the fantasy box score, but this was another highly efficient effort for a third-round rookie quarterback whose running game was deleted by Detroit's underrated, top-five run defense. Glennon is beginning to look like a true franchise quarterback with accuracy at the intermediate and deep levels, and impressive pocket poise. The Bucs are now on a three-game winning streak. They travel to Carolina in Week 13 to take on the Panthers' elite defense.

Two more nice deep completions. A great throw rolling to his right after the pocket broke down. Short/Intermediate completions to Wright taking what the defense gave him.

Starting to wish Schiano/Dominik would have had the stones to roll with Glennon out of the gate like Seattle did with Wilson. It could have been a very different season. This three game winning streak and the near win in Seattle are directly related to a drastically improving Mike Glennon.

Users who are viewing this thread