What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (2 Viewers)

I would tend to agree. I think there will be some bumps and bruises along the way with Mahomes, but I don’t think Reid would have jettisoned the steady if not spectacular Smith if they didn’t think the kid could step in right away.
I 100% agree- they could have kept smith another year but wasted no time moving him. Granted they were having cap troubles and I’m not sure off the top of my head what smiths cap # was, but I think they keep him around if there’s any doubt.

I 100% agree- they could have kept smith another year but wasted no time moving him. Granted they were having cap troubles and I’m not sure off the top of my head what smiths cap # was, but I think they keep him around if there’s any doubt.
They picked a good time to trade Smith coming off his best year ever. 

But on the other hand, Mahomes came into the league as a project. Has he had enough time to develope? 

But on the other hand, Mahomes came into the league as a project. Has he had enough time to develope? 
Mahomes got to spend a season learning the offense and watching Smith .  He needs game reps to develop further.  That was not going to happen with Smith in front of him.  There will be growing pains, but the only way to know what you have in Mahomes is to get him into action.

I see the phrase “came into the league as a project” used a lot and sometimes it confuses me....Mahomes was a top 10 pick, like may other QB’s over the years....I realize a guy like Peyton or even Luck were maybe considered “day one starter” type dudes but why is Mahomes considered a “project” any more than say Goff or Wentz recently.....or any other QB that came in...especially with an established starter in front of them....Mahomes was the back up from day one and had Smith gotten hurt in say week 4 of preseason he probably starts against NE....I can agree that some players may have been perceived that way....hell Brady probably was....but the Chiefs moved up to get Mahomes at 10 with every intention of him being “the guy” probably this year and probably even last year if Smith got hurt (or played like crap, but he had a career year)...and they probably never really considered him a “project”...I think the current QB situation/depth chart has more to do sometimes with this “project thing”.... . :shrug:  Mahomes could probably have easily been the day one starter last year for a few teams...would that have eliminated the “project” label..?

anyway....dude may struggle with KC’s brutal early 6 game stretch...(although they will need him to produce to win many/any of those games)....which may lead to some frustration but also to some decent fantasy numbers....so maybe a guy to target in trades....especially in dynasty....but honestly I think he comes in and wows people...just my   :2cents: ....tons of weapons, ability to run...I think he is top 5-10 QB in fantasy for years to come....

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the phrase “came into the league as a project” used a lot and sometimes it confuses me....Mahomes was a top 10 pick, like may other QB’s over the years....I realize a guy like Peyton or even Luck were maybe considered “day one starter” type dudes but why is Mahomes considered a “project” any more than say Goff or Wentz recently.....or any other QB that came in...especially with an established starter in front of them....Mahomes was the back up from day one and had Smith gotten hurt in say week 4 of preseason he probably starts against NE....I can agree that some players may have been perceived that way....hell Brady probably was....but the Chiefs moved up to get Mahomes at 10 with every intention of him being “the guy” probably this year and probably even last year if Smith got hurt (or played like crap, but he had a career year)...and they probably never really considered him a “project”...I think the current QB situation/depth chart has more to do sometimes with this “project thing”.... . :shrug:  Mahomes could probably have easily been the day one starter last year for a few teams...would that have eliminated the “project” label..?

anyway....dude may struggle with KC’s brutal early 6 game stretch...(although they will need him to produce to win many/any of those games)....which may lead to some frustration but also to some decent fantasy numbers....so maybe a guy to target in trades....especially in dynasty....but honestly I think he comes in and wows people...just my   :2cents: ....tons of weapons, ability to run...I think he is top 5-10 QB in fantasy for years to come....
I use the project label for him because he has big talent but lacked some of the skills to playing quarterback in college, from what I saw. Spread system, kind of a back yard player. Not saying he can't be good this year by any means. Just I think it will take a few years to refine his technique and such to reach his full potential. 

He did well in the game he played last year without putting up great numbers. We can't draw many conclusions from one game, but if those are the stats we can expect he'll disappoint his fantasy owners. An up and down year wouldn't surprise many of us.

cloppbeast said:
I use the project label for him because he has big talent but lacked some of the skills to playing quarterback in college, from what I saw. Spread system, kind of a back yard player. Not saying he can't be good this year by any means. Just I think it will take a few years to refine his technique and such to reach his full potential. 

He did well in the game he played last year without putting up great numbers. We can't draw many conclusions from one game, but if those are the stats we can expect he'll disappoint his fantasy owners. An up and down year wouldn't surprise many of us.
In his first start ever he nearly put up 300 yards against a pretty good defense and he was without his starting skill players. Not sure I am disappointed in the numbers of that game. 

I'm pretty confident Mahomes won't live up to his ADP. I believe he's going to at least be a mild disappointment this season.

That said, Mahomes has outstanding raw ability & has a ton of weapons so I'm somewhat bullish on him long-term.

In his first start ever he nearly put up 300 yards against a pretty good defense and he was without his starting skill players. Not sure I am disappointed in the numbers of that game. 
This...he played with a second string set of lineman and skill players...Albert ####### Wilson destroyed the Broncos that day(mostly because of Mahomes) and the fullback...if you watch the game because Mahomes didnt have a rushing or passing TD means very little.... he actually had a rushing TD called back because he stepped out at the one on a dive and then they gave it to the FB on the next play...so no attention from fantasy owners in that game (unless the “sharks” were really paying attention).... which they should have been....KC had the game in hand because of Mahomes and they actually took him out because they had such a big lead....KC brought in Bray and lost the lead....Reid put Mahomes back in on the last drive and he led them to his first game winning drive....Denver played all their guys on defense and Von Miller, Talib, and Harris all said they couldn’t lie....Mahomes was the real deal.....if you want to get a jump on your home leagues....go back and watch the highlights from that “meaningless fantasy stat game”...

Got a real feeling that he has “it” and is going to be THE next big thing at QB....IMO get him while you can....talent and leadership/hate to lose/working almost daily off season with his teammates, etc....let alone a great QB coach, a great system and some serious talent around him...their first 6 game stretch is brutal, but even through those games and on, this guy is going to be pulling the trigger on a bunch of my fantasy teams...especially at his current price....which won’t last long...

Chiefs coach Andy Reid says Patrick Mahomes has impressed him with his ability to adjust to the blitz this offseason.

"We wanted to come in and make sure we challenged him," Reid said of pre-snap adjustments. "I thought he handled that very well. One of the big things for young kids is just the blitz game, so we put a big emphasis on that and tried to give him a lot of different looks there." Although it's not necessarily surprising, Mahomes has drawn universally positive reviews for his offseason work. Mahomes will open the year as a high-end streamer with a shot at every-week QB1 status.

Source: chiefs.com 

Jun 14 - 5:17 PM

Chiefs coach Andy Reid isn't concerned that Patrick Mahomes has thrown eight interceptions across seven training camp sessions.

Mahomes' picks have become a topic of Twitter discussion. "I told you at the beginning of camp I don’t care about all that stuff," Reid said. "I want him to test the offense. ... If you don’t have the intestinal fortitude to go test it you’re going to be one of those quarterbacks who checks it down every time. That’s not what it’s all about." Reid might as well be subtweeting former quarterback Alex Smith. Mahomes threw 29 interceptions across 32 college starts.

Source: Adam Teicher on Twitter 

Aug 2 - 1:30 PM

My defense by committee may be anyone who plays Mahomes this year. I expect to see some nice highlights out of him but he may just set the INT record this year with his inexperience and aggressive nature.

Pat Mahomes - QB -  Chiefs

Pat Mahomes completed 5-of-7 passes for 33 yards in the Chiefs' preseason opener.

Mahomes' first pass of the night was a 14-yard gain to Travis Kelce, and the tight end picked up another first down on the next series. That was about it for the starting offense. Mahomes has reportedly struggled with interceptions in camp, and it would not be surprising if that continued into his first season as the starter. Even so, his playmaking ability makes him an intriguing late-round option.

Aug 9 - 9:22 PM

Pat Mahomes completed 8-of-12 passes for 138 yards with a touchdown and an interception in the Chiefs' second preseason game.

Mahomes started slow, nearly getting picked in the end-zone on Kansas City's first scoring drive and later throwing a bad interception into double coverage. He rebounded the next series, hitting Tyreek Hill on a 69-yard touchdown bomb. There's a lot to like with Mahomes' gunslinger upside, but turnover struggles and a run-heavy offense limit his floor. Mahomes gets a matchup with Chicago in next week's preseason dress rehearsal.

Aug 17 - 8:50 PM

Dude has an absolute cannon.  Reek' is going to have so many of these tds this year.
You gotta double cover him. Then that? That leaves Kelce and Hill open for mismatches.

Could be a sick offense if Mahomes proves NOT to be a one trick pony.

You almost want Mahomes throwing picks so Kansas has to keep throwing the ball, lol.

Color me intrigued...
Whole offense riding on a QB im not buying.

If Hunt goes for less than planned, perhaps Id have interest there.. but in general I see a dropoff on this offense.  Really only downside from last year imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all in. The league hasn't seen a deep threat like Tyreek since Randy Moss. Mahomes could benefit like Daunte Culpepper did. Lots of picks but lots of good game scripts. 
He'll throw more ints than I'd like this year. But I'm convinced he's a beast. KC will contend for lots of SBs with all their weapons on offense. 

The defensive matchup for Mahomes has improved this week:

Joey Bosa (foot) was ruled out for Week 1.

Bosa was spotted in a walking boot Friday and is considered "week-to-week." Although his current injury is separate from the injury he suffered during the preseason, it's concerning that both occurred to the same foot. The Chargers will also be without CB Jason Verrett (ACL, I.R.) against the Chiefs' explosive offense in Week 1. At this point, Bosa should be considered questionable even for Week 2.

Source: Jack Wang on Twitter 

Sep 7 - 3:32 PM

Users who are viewing this thread