What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Philip Rivers, RET (2 Viewers)

I had Rivers last season. He started out like gangbusters but was unstartable down the stretch and in FF playoffs. I believe this happened a few years ago when I had him too.

If you draft Rivers and he starts off strong, trade him early.
Last year was an aberration. It was a perfect storm for a second half decline:

1. The Chargers had to play 5 centers over the course of the season.

2. Top 2 RBs combined to miss 23 games, leaving the running game to UDFA Oliver and Donald Brown. :X

3. Rivers played through rib and back injuries during the second half of the season.

None of that is likely to reoccur. Not saying he will be a top 5 fantasy QB like he was in the first 8 games of 2014, but he should be a lot better than he was in the last 8 games of 2014.

I had Rivers last season. He started out like gangbusters but was unstartable down the stretch and in FF playoffs. I believe this happened a few years ago when I had him too.

If you draft Rivers and he starts off strong, trade him early.
Last year was an anomaly. Not sure when that happened a few years ago though. Rivers is one of the best December QBs of all time. Has the 3rd best december record in nfl history, and before last year, he had 66 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and 8,337 yards in the month of December.

Rotoworld:

Philip Rivers - QB - Chargers

The Union-Tribune San Diego reports it's "virtually certain" the Chargers won't reach a long-term agreement with contract-year QB Philip Rivers before Week 1.

Columnist Kevin Acee reports there's "at least one key sticking point." It's quite possible the sticking point is where the Chargers will be playing in 2016. The UTSD has previously reported the sides are unlikely to negotiate after the start of the preseason. San Diego's first exhibition tilt is Thursday.

Source: Kevin Acee on Twitter

Aug 11 - 1:22 PM

Boy, kevin acee really had this story NAILED back in the spring. San Diego Charger INSIDER right there!

Can't wait for the next drivel he comes up with that people will eat up with a spoon.

"My hesitation and my lack of excitement for a potential move was more about the thought of leaving this community than it was about disdain for L.A.," Rivers explained. "Again, that's still out of my control. Nobody knows. It wasn't a hatred of Los Angeles. It was more of a love for this community. This is where all but one of my children have been born and where my family has grown over the last decade."

"... oh, and $63mil guaranteed doesn't suck either."

From day one I said this acee driven nonsense was a direct response to Big Ben getting a $31mil signing bonus and $31mil guaranteed. Hey, 31+31= $62mil!? That is a coicidence! Weird. And suddenly LA seems just fine.

BoltBacker said:

From day one I said this acee driven nonsense was a direct response to Big Ben getting a $31mil signing bonus and $31mil guaranteed. Hey, 31+31= $62mil!? That is a coicidence! Weird. And suddenly LA seems just fine.
Haven't you been suggesting the Chargers move on from Rivers for a few years now?

BoltBacker said:

Haven't you been suggesting the Chargers move on from Rivers for a few years now?
When he hasn't played to a franchise qb level I have suggested they don't extend his contract to pay him as a top 5 QB, yes.

Tecnically, a franchise QB is payed the average of the top 5 guys in the league... so that would be 3rd best QB in the league. I can't remember a recent time I thought he played to that level for a full season but part of that is due to his OL.

BoltBacker said:

When he hasn't played to a franchise qb level I have suggested they don't extend his contract to pay him as a top 5 QB, yes.Tecnically, a franchise QB is payed the average of the top 5 guys in the league... so that would be 3rd best QB in the league. I can't remember a recent time I thought he played to that level for a full season but part of that is due to his OL.
Nice spin. You have been saying the team should move on from him for years, and this is the first time I recall you associating that with Rivers not being a top 3 QB.

Film Room: Philip Rivers

Rivers was late to start, he isn't considered alongside the top quarterbacks of his generation, and he hasn't won a Super Bowl (or even played in one), but he has played to an MVP level for much of his career. Over 11 seasons (including his first two years when he threw just 30 passes), Rivers has accumulated more than 36,000 yards and 252 touchdowns with 122 interceptions while completing 64.7 percent of his passes. Since 2006, when Rivers was first a full-time starter, he has thrown the fourth-most touchdowns behind Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, while only Brees has thrown for more yards. Rivers has finished among the top three quarterbacks in passing DYAR four times, and has ranked in the top ten a total of seven times.

Elevating teammates is a familiar topic when discussing NFL quarterbacks, but it is often misunderstood. It's discussed as a leadership trait, something that it happens off the field to a degree. Or it is simply used after the fact to justify a player's value when his team wins games. It's often subtle, but elevating teammates is about on-field actions. Quarterbacks can elevate offensive linemen by covering for losing assignments or lost blocks; they can elevate receivers by throwing them open; and they can elevate the running game by audibling into favorable plays against specific defensive alignments.
In terms of elevating offensive linemen and receivers, you can count on the hand of Homer Simpson how many players are on Rivers' level.

Philip Rivers is the other quarterback of his generation. He's not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, or Ben Roethlisberger, but that doesn't mean he's worse than them. Rivers' career has been subtly brilliant for a variety of reasons, but more important than any of those ancillary aspects is his subtlety on the field. He has built a fine career on doing spectacular things that are unspectacular to your typical onlooker.

BoltBacker said:

When he hasn't played to a franchise qb level I have suggested they don't extend his contract to pay him as a top 5 QB, yes.Tecnically, a franchise QB is payed the average of the top 5 guys in the league... so that would be 3rd best QB in the league. I can't remember a recent time I thought he played to that level for a full season but part of that is due to his OL.
Nice spin. You have been saying the team should move on from him for years, and this is the first time I recall you associating that with Rivers not being a top 3 QB.
True, I have been saying for years he(and most other players) should only be paid like a franchise player if, you know, thay are performing like a franchise player. It's a controversial stance I'll admit bit that's just the burden I am willing to bare.

Btw, you realize had SD moved on from Rivers even six years ago SD would have missed out on a single wild-card win in the playoffs against CIN right? Only Rodgers, Wilson, and Big Ben are paid more than Rivers. There is something in common with that group but I just can't put my finger on it. Care to take a stab at it?

BoltBacker said:

True, I have been saying for years he(and most other players) should only be paid like a franchise player if, you know, thay are performing like a franchise player. It's a controversial stance I'll admit bit that's just the burden I am willing to bare.Btw, you realize had SD moved on from Rivers even six years ago SD would have missed out on a single wild-card win in the playoffs against CIN right? Only Rodgers, Wilson, and Big Ben are paid more than Rivers. There is something in common with that group but I just can't put my finger on it. Care to take a stab at it?
The Chargers have had great QB play for a stretch of 11 years and counting. It isn't Rivers' fault that the team around him hasn't been good enough to win a lot of playoff games. :shrug:

And that is the answer to your question. What Wilson, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers have in common is they have had teams around them that were strong enough that they could lead them to Super Bowl championships.

You are smart enough to understand how QB contracts work. So you either don't appreciate how good Rivers has been for your favorite team or you are completely unrealistic.

For example, this post of yours could be read to imply that you think the franchise would have been better off without Rivers for the past 6 years. :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK to say nice things about Rivers on this thread? Got a good friend I watch football with, Chargers fan, often screams at TV when Rivers doesn't complete a pass, throws an interception..

I don't get it. I think Chargers fans are the hardest on him. Just wait to see what you get when he retires.. It's gonna be ugly.

Rivers has really only had one great WR in recent memory which was V-Jax...he really does quite well with the mediocrity he has for targets.

Keenan and Stevie are an average tandem at best.

Rivers has been carrying this offense and team for years.

Passed Dan Fouts as the all-time Chargers TD passer. Fouts called the game. Rivers had a humble message / video for Fouts.

Score wrong on NFL.com today ? Allen got two TDs from what I could see, Rivers down as 246 yards 1 INT 1 TD score of 9.84

Week before he was 241 yards 1 INT 5 yards rushing 2 TDs and 14.14 points.

Unless Allen had a carry as a TD but I could have sworn through my alcoholic gaze that that Rivers threw two TDs to him

Score wrong on NFL.com today ? Allen got two TDs from what I could see, Rivers down as 246 yards 1 INT 1 TD score of 9.84

Unless Allen had a carry as a TD but I could have sworn through my alcoholic gaze that that Rivers threw two TDs to him
Rivers was pulled in the 4th to protect his health after he got pummeled all day thanks to his OL being horrendous. Clemens came in and threw the second TD to Allen.

Rivers was pulled in the 4th to protect his health after he got pummeled all day thanks to his OL being horrendous. Clemens came in and threw the second TD to Allen.
Aha ! Thanks for helping a non sober idiot haha

I'm not sure what you guys are complaining about. Telesco has been hard at work transforming a ~.500 team being led by a $15mil-$17mil QB to a ~.500 team being led by a $22mil QB. Somewhere kevin acee and Rivers agent are high-fiving each other.

Can we change the name of this thread?

The guys like one of my fav QBs ex. Aside from probably Big Ben, I cant see any QB playing through an ACL injury..

If hes terrible? Whys he been in the Top ten the last two Seasons..

Hopefully we start seeing more two QB Leagues..

No way,, Would someone utter "terrible" and Rivers in same sentence..

btw Pitt going to the West Coast? Rivers earns must start status (Unless your Trade challenged like me) ie. Brady in Dallas :wub:

Rivers has really only had one great WR in recent memory which was V-Jax...he really does quite well with the mediocrity he has for targets.

Keenan and Stevie are an average tandem at best.

Rivers has been carrying this offense and team for years.
Gates is going to the HOF and its not for his blocking

Can we change the name of this thread?

The guys like one of my fav QBs ex. Aside from probably Big Ben, I cant see any QB playing through an ACL injury..

If hes terrible? Whys he been in the Top ten the last two Seasons..

Hopefully we start seeing more two QB Leagues..

No way,, Would someone utter "terrible" and Rivers in same sentence..

btw Pitt going to the West Coast? Rivers earns must start status (Unless your Trade challenged like me) ie. Brady in Dallas :wub:
Totally agree with this, I feel like Rivers is one of the best QBs in the league. As much as the Lions problems aren't to do with Stafford this year, I'd love to see what they'd look like with Rivers as their QB - smart, plays hard, experienced and with weapons like Calvin, Tate, Ebron and good pass catching RBS it could be a glorious thing

Has that ever been done before?
There have been 17 500 yard passing games in NFL history. (Nice that Rivers got the 17th to match his jersey number.)

I believe he is the 8th QB to lose when passing for 500 yards, but the first to lose while passing for 500 yards with no interceptions.

If Allen and Stevie Johnson can't go expect Gates to get 20 targets and Green to get 4 with Rivers ignoring Green when he's wide open in the Red zone at least once like yesterday. Green was targeted 2 or 3 times in the red zone though. Rivers just missed him early where he probably walks in for a TD.

If Allen and Stevie Johnson can't go expect Gates to get 20 targets and Green to get 4 with Rivers ignoring Green when he's wide open in the Red zone at least once like yesterday. Green was targeted 2 or 3 times in the red zone though. Rivers just missed him early where he probably walks in for a TD.
Green should have caught a TD and didn't make the play. Your whining about him is getting old.

Green should have caught a TD and didn't make the play. Your whining about him is getting old.
2-4 though bro

Milkman said:
And the TE that dropped the TD pass that was actually catchable was Gates. Lolol
Gates dropped a first down throw on 4th down that he definitely should have caught. Green dropped a TD in the end zone; it wasn't an easy catch, but he got both hands on it, and the way everyone raves about his athletic ability, he should have caught it. If he makes plays like that for Rivers, he will earn more targets.

And, yes, they are 2-4. That has more to do with the defense than the offense. Targeting Green more won't matter when the team has the worst run defense in the NFL.

Just Win Baby said:
Green should have caught a TD and didn't make the play.
I think you're letting Milkman get to you. That would have been an extraordinary grab.
Yeah that's my thinking too and for the record I'm not trying to get to him. Rivers threw the ball 65 times AND Green gets 4 targets? I think that's a joke and I'm going to call them out on it when I see Green wide open on the same side of the field as the pass was thrown but Rivers still forces it into tight coverage. No one within 6-7 yards of Green and he likely scores. Instead they kick a FG. HmmmmmmBesides Green's catch rate is very good. He has made all kinds of catches for Rivers. I don't think that's what critics of Green should be attacking.

Users who are viewing this thread