What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question on Yahoo Free Agent Moves (1 Viewer)

Warhogs

Footballguy
I have a league where we use the basic yahoo rules for free agency in a long time running league. I have a team that sent me a text just before 3pm CST yesterday wanting to claim a TE and start him because Julius Thomas was out. He said yahoo would not let him put in a claim. I am assuming yahoo is set that the claim had to be made before the early games started but I can't find anything on it. Is anybody in the know? As of now I am assuming the team needed to claim a player before the early games and can't claim anybody and start them. Thanks.

I'm the commissioner of a couple Yahoo leagues, and the standard setting is that all FAs go on waivers as soon as the early games start. If that's the case, it was designed to not allow him to do just what he texted you about, and he should have made the move before the FA period for the week ended.

Edit: If you're the commissioner you can see the settings by going to Comish Tools and editing League Settings. Here's a screenshot of the rule: http://imgur.com/i1buMcc

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a league where we use the basic yahoo rules for free agency in a long time running league. I have a team that sent me a text just before 3pm CST yesterday wanting to claim a TE and start him because Julius Thomas was out. He said yahoo would not let him put in a claim. I am assuming yahoo is set that the claim had to be made before the early games started but I can't find anything on it. Is anybody in the know? As of now I am assuming the team needed to claim a player before the early games and can't claim anybody and start them. Thanks.
Probably because the TE was dropped last week. In standard yahoo waivers, if a player is dropped during or after the waiver period, said player cannot be claimed until after that week's games are concluded. We change it because it opens up too many shenanigans.

Depends on league settings. In my league players go on waivers when their game starts so even after the AM games start you can add a player if their game hasn't started. Sounds like your league is set to put players in waivers at 1st kickoff Sunday. This is a bad option though because it allows for scenarios like yours and can even allow you to pick up Thursday players while the game is going since they don't lock until Sunday AM.

Probably because the TE was dropped last week. In standard yahoo waivers, if a player is dropped during or after the waiver period, said player cannot be claimed until after that week's games are concluded. We change it because it opens up too many shenanigans.
That's a possibility if the player was dropped at some points after Thursday (i.e. at any point between Friday-->Sunday). The standard rule is that any player that has been on a team's roster for more than 24 hours goes to waivers for 3 days upon being dropped. Accordingly, if a player is dropped Wednesday or Thursday, he will go to waivers initially, but either be claimed or become a FA on Saturday or Sunday respectively.

Either way, in this case, he was trying to pick up a player after the first games had kicked off at noon. All players not on a teams roster would be on the WW at that point, regardless of whether they were dropped at some point in the week leading up to that point.

Depends on league settings. In my league players go on waivers when their game starts so even after the AM games start you can add a player if their game hasn't started. Sounds like your league is set to put players in waivers at 1st kickoff Sunday. This is a bad option though because it allows for scenarios like yours and can even allow you to pick up Thursday players while the game is going since they don't lock until Sunday AM.
That's one of the drawbacks, but I like the fact that if you use the all players to waivers at first kickoff setting because it offers a slim reward and advantage to those that are on top of their information and plan accordingly. Information is so easily available nowadays that there are few excuses for not having contingency plans in place by noon on game day, and I'm all for putting owners that wait for Rotoworld or Yahoo to tell them their player is inactive at a disadvantage.

Thanks for the help everyone. I looked into it and all available players went on waivers at kickoff of the early games. Owner was trying to claim someone too late in our rules.

Users who are viewing this thread