What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quintessential 80's song - What is it? (1 Viewer)

from the 80's

• Men Without Hats - Safety Dance

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Madonna - Like a Virgin

• OMD - If you Leave

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Modern English - Melt with you

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • White Snake - Here I go again

• Duran Duran - Rio

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Tears for Fears - Everybody wants to rule the world

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other - I'm an idiot and can't remember all of the great options

Votes: 19 21.8%

• Total voters
The subject matter of this thread reminds me of the TV show Dr. Pimple Popper.  80's music exists to demonstrate that disco wasn't really that bad after all.

Yet another vote for Take On Me by A-ha.  

Tin Cup said:
80's movies in general had a lot of songs that take you right back to a time and place anytime you hear them.

• If You Leave
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • I Melt With You
  • In Your Eyes
  • (I've Had) The Time Of My Life
  • Take My Breath Away/Danger Zone
  • Axel F
  • Eye Of The Tiger
  • The Power Of Love
  • Holiday Road
  • Somebody's Baby
  • Cruel Summer
What movie was Melt With You?

Tin Cup said:
80's movies in general had a lot of songs that take you right back to a time and place anytime you hear them.

• If You Leave
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • I Melt With You
  • In Your Eyes
  • (I've Had) The Time Of My Life
  • Take My Breath Away/Danger Zone
  • Axel F
  • Eye Of The Tiger
  • The Power Of Love
  • Holiday Road
  • Somebody's Baby
  • Cruel Summer
Just Once

Not necessarily quintessential ‘80s, but highly memorable for its scene usage.

#gutpunch 

Apologies if this one was mentioned and I overlooked it, but it feels like Africa by Toto should be in this conversation. That song has held up extremely well and now feels like one of those songs that (nearly) everyone knows and likes, even younger people. 

So many great songs I couldn’t narrow it down to 20 or 30 I don’t think

A favorite that I don’t think has been mentioned

Dirty Laundry - Don Henley 

The Dreaded Marco said:
As is usual though, these threads inevitably morph into "here is my favorite song/band that may fit the definition set forth by the OP"
To clarify, the ones I posted aren't my "favorites" from the 80's.  They are songs, that if I close my eyes why listening, it just transports me to being 11 years old and it's 1984.  

To clarify, the ones I posted aren't my "favorites" from the 80's.  They are songs, that if I close my eyes why listening, it just transports me to being 11 years old and it's 1984.  
Ditto. Although I wasn't 11 in 1984, I just posted songs that are synonymous with the 80s imo.

The Dreaded Marco said:
As is usual though, these threads inevitably morph into "here is my favorite song/band that may fit the definition set forth by the OP" and that is why I love them---more music to hear because it's too difficult to limit it to one.
I thought the same thing, but didn’t want to be that guy. I suspect we’ll have about half the ‘80s posted by 5PM EST tomorrow, but it’s all good - as you say, more music is always better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge fan of his.  We've talked about him here at FBGs in a couple threads (which of course I can't find because the search sucks).

This one of his is also magical -- Scarborough Fair.  And also Sound of Silence
Yeah, I’ve probably led the charge on him in a few of those threads - big fan. Got to see him live about 4-5 years ago.

Another fave is from the ‘90s with a few different guys: No Excuses

But I digress - back to your regularly scheduled ‘80s. 

I would go with something that relies on synthesizer sound like Human League as someone mentioned or Pop Muzic by M. Not saying these are great songs but really hard to imagine them being made in any other decade. 

I graduated in the 80s and went with a song that feels like the 80s.  I voted Tears for Fears.   

I was a metal head and really didn’t listen to most of the songs listed much by choice but you couldn’t get away from those songs on the radio or at parties.  I do listen to them fondly now though but my choice would be Jump.   Jump is not close to being my favorite song from the 80s but it seems like the 80s to the max for me.  

I would go with something that relies on synthesizer sound like Human League as someone mentioned or Pop Muzic by M. Not saying these are great songs but really hard to imagine them being made in any other decade. 
Eh, that feeds into the stereotype that the 80's were all about synthesizer music (and hair metal), and the 80's had too much variety for any one song to encapsulate everything about it, musically speaking. 

I graduated in the 80s and went with a song that feels like the 80s.  I voted Tears for Fears.   

I was a metal head and really didn’t listen to most of the songs listed much by choice but you couldn’t get away from those songs on the radio or at parties.  I do listen to them fondly now though but my choice would be Jump.   Jump is not close to being my favorite song from the 80s but it seems like the 80s to the max for me.  
I think part of the appeal for Jump was the hype around the debut of the video on MTV: midnight January 1, 1984.  I don't know why I felt so let down by it, but I've held a grudge against that song ever since.

For me, I think the tie-in to an iconic 80s film adds major bonus points. So for me, it comes down to:

Melt With You - Valley Girl

If You Leave - Pretty in Pink

(Don’t You) Forget About Me - The Breakfast Club

Went with (Don’t You) Forget About Me

I think part of the appeal for Jump was the hype around the debut of the video on MTV: midnight January 1, 1984.  I don't know why I felt so let down by it, but I've held a grudge against that song ever since.
I thought it was awesome when it came out. Still like the tune a lot despite it being overplayed. 

I thought it was awesome when it came out. Still like the tune a lot despite it being overplayed. 
Maybe I was just caught off guard by the heavy synthesizer sound. I just remember not liking this 'new' direction that sound represented. However, I did really like I'll Wait, so there goes consistency.

For me, I think it relates to iconic 80s movies as well.

2 that always come to mind are The Karate Kid and Top Gun. A 3rd one, Real Genius, is more specific for me than everyone else.
First vhs tape I ever bought, and still a top 5 all time movie for me. (Off topic but Chris Knight and Doc Holliday may be my two favorite movie characters of all time.). So I vote Everybody Wants to Rule the World. 

For me, I think the tie-in to an iconic 80s film adds major bonus points. So for me, it comes down to:

Melt With You - Valley Girl

If You Leave - Pretty in Pink

(Don’t You) Forget About Me - The Breakfast Club

Went with (Don’t You) Forget About Me
Oh Yeah by Yello gets two very 80s-ish movies - Ferris Bueller and Secret of My Success.

Users who are viewing this thread