What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quintessential 80's song - What is it? (1 Viewer)

from the 80's

• Men Without Hats - Safety Dance

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Madonna - Like a Virgin

• OMD - If you Leave

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Modern English - Melt with you

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • White Snake - Here I go again

• Duran Duran - Rio

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Tears for Fears - Everybody wants to rule the world

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other - I'm an idiot and can't remember all of the great options

Votes: 19 21.8%

• Total voters
I think part of the appeal for Jump was the hype around the debut of the video on MTV: midnight January 1, 1984.  I don't know why I felt so let down by it, but I've held a grudge against that song ever since.
It’s my 5th or 6th favorite song from the album but best captures the 80s for me.  I don’t ever listen to the song on purpose.  

Been thinking about a response to this OP ever since it was first posted.

It's hard to think of ONE song that really touches on a bunch of the 80s' various musical movements. Lots of great songs have been nominated, and many have artfully combined contemporary musical styles to offer listeners a reasonably wide sampling of 80s fare.

Now, if we were assembling a song by committee to represent "The 80s". And we were making it a point to take from this genre, and a little from that one, and some more from over there ... what would we end up with? Something that would please everyone? Something that offered a little something to everyone's taste? Or would it be too wide-ranging and thus thin-spread and not all that appealing?

I heard a song today on the radio that has to among the 80s tunes with the greatest stylistic breadth. That song was "Easy Lover" by Philip Bailey & Phil Collins. It's a got a little bit of New Wave synth line to open and close, it's got that persistent 80s pop rhythm guitar, it's got some soul via Bailey's falsetto, it's got Collins' pop sensibilities, and it's got a bridge solo that could've straight off a metal record. So ... could a song like "Easy Lover" be THE quintessential 80s track? Or is it more of a "... nah..."? My vote: I dig what the Phils are doing on "Easy Lover" -- I can get behind it.

Another song with just about as much stylistic spread is Billy Ocean's "Loverboy". It doesn't quite reach as far without having two voices to play off one another, but Ocean's producer threw a lot into the blender on "Loverboy".

Users who are viewing this thread