What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

R.Dayne = M. Anderson? (1 Viewer)

R.White

Footballguy
March 4, 2006, 09:25

Broncos :: RB

A Huge Opening For RB Dayne?

Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News - [Full Article]

Everything RB Ron Dayne has wanted since entering the NFL finally could be there for the taking: a chance to become a workhorse running back in a system suited to his talents. All that's standing between Dayne and that opportunity could be his signature on the dotted line on a new contract with the Denver Broncos. Should the deal get done as expected, Dayne would become the front-runner to inherit the workload vacated by RB Mike Anderson, who was released Wednesday.

ARTICLE

I'm sure there will be competition before it's all said and done, but Ron Dayne looks to be in line for a shot as the primary load carrier for the Broncos :eek: He did average 5.1 YPC in 2005. It could be a match made in heaven? Thoughts?

RW

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked good at times and that should have solidified his job as a backup. I think they'll get someone and that it wasn't enough to make him the starter.

Sometimes guys can emerge, but I'd be concerned that he could do it for a full season.

Even during his troubled days in NY, he did look good on certain occasions. It was the consistency that was lacking.

I think it's unlikely.

Mike Anderson was a proven back who probably would have had a very good year in '04 if he wouldn't have blown out his achilles.

Ron Dayne has been in the league a few years and has had relatively few injuries, yet he has barely acheived mediocrity in those years.

I am not 100% convinced Anderson was released. The league said players released in the "period of uncertainty" could be reinstated. They have not said what that means, so who knows who is gone and who is not.

It's Denver's zone blocking scheme that intrigues me here. Also the fact Denver views Dayne as an Anderson clone. This is where sleepers are born. System + Opportunity = Fantasy Gold.

The fact that every response so far don't think it will happen, is an indication Dayne can be had on the cheap come draft day. Of couse it all depends on where in the draft they grab a RB, and who it is, but I think having a year in the system gives him an edge. It's early and a lot will take place before September, but it makes sense to me. Leagues are won with sleepers every year, so I thought Dayne's situation was worth discussing.

RW

I am not 100% convinced Anderson was released. The league said players released in the "period of uncertainty" could be reinstated. They have not said what that means, so who knows who is gone and who is not.
David I believe only the moves made on Thursday can be recinded? I know I read that somewhere. MA was released on Wed.RW

I am not 100% convinced Anderson was released.  The league said players released in the "period of uncertainty" could be reinstated.  They have not said what that means, so who knows who is gone and who is not.
David I believe only the moves made on Thursday can be recinded? I know I read that somewhere. MA was released on Wed.RW
The only person that said that was Mortensen. No place else have I seen anything that explains AT ALL what the rules are. And I'm not sure he knew for sure--he basically said he thought guys cut Wednesday were SOL but did not explain where he was coming up with that. If the cap jumps up to $105 million or more, maybe the Broncos would have wanted to keep him. I'm sure we'll know more tomorrow about the fall out on all this.

I agree that this may all get hammered out in the meeting. There is an awful lot of uncertainy right now. I believe teams were told beforehand to wait to the last minute to cut any fringe (cap casualty guys) in case this happened. Many teams waited like the Colts did, for those guys they wanted to keep, but may or may not have been able to afford. The whole thing is driving me :wall: . Imagine being a GM or Capologist this week :eek:

The only person that said that was Mortensen. No place else have I seen anything that explains AT ALL what the rules are. And I'm not sure he knew for sure--he basically said he thought guys cut Wednesday were SOL but did not explain where he was coming up with that. If the cap jumps up to $105 million or more, maybe the Broncos would have wanted to keep him. I'm sure we'll know more tomorrow about the fall out on all this.
I knew I read it somewhere (I hit up to 200 pages a day)From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

As for players who were released Thursday for salary cap reasons? Teams will have the option for recalling them if a new agreement is agreed upon before Monday.

Cuts came on the heels of many others on Wednesday in anticipation of the new cap year. Around 4 p.m. Milwaukee time, officials from teams league-wide received a memo from the NFL that free agency would be delayed until Monday. The memo surprised many club officials who were certain that free agency would proceed as normal and had already made plans to inform players they were going to be released.

Over the next couple of hours, league sources say, various teams that had already released veterans were called by league officials informing them that anybody they cut on Thursday - but not earlier - would be able to be reclaimed if a new agreement was reached before free agency began on Monday.

There you have it LINKY

RW

Even if Mike Anderson was released on Wednesday instead of Thursday, the Broncos can still go ahead and re-sign him just like any other squad. However Ron Dayne is indeed an intriguing player in 2006. He is younger than Mike Anderson (although the mileage is pretty close to equal with the huge workload Dayne had through his collegiate days) and the Broncos' offensive system does seem to fit the talents of Dayne pretty well.

Now, I don't believe that Dayne will be a 350-carry workhorse in this or any other system but he does have a chance to step into the Anderson role and could work alongside of Tatum Bell to give the Broncos another one-two punch from the backfield.

Ron's right. This is a situation to watch throughout the offseason and into preseason to see how it shakes out.

Didn't Reuben get his shot more due to injury than anything else? Granted he did well and kept the spot but....

Last few times, in labor agreements, the older players were thrown bones. Every time, the league+the NFLPA are in agreement that long term veterans should be able to finish out their career with their teams but disagree in how to get to that point. Obviously it hasn't worked out perfectly yet, but I would not be surprised if there's a new wrinkle which gives teams a discount (capwise)or somesuch if they keep their vets. How long has Anderson been with the Broncos? Not sure if he qualifies as a longterm vet yet.

Basically, whomever gets the rock in Denver is a viable fantasy RB and potential stud. (even Ron Dayne)

Considering that they seem to have given up hope that Bell will turn into a workhorse back and that they were actively pursuing Smoke Williams, I doubt they go into the season with only Dayne at the helm. More likely they bring someone in to help share the load/take over due to performance or injury. This could be a FA, trade, or draft pick. With two first round picks it will be interesting to see what they do in the draft.

Mike Anderson was a proven back who probably would have had a very good year in '04 if he wouldn't have blown out his achilles.
Wow good thing the Broncos got rid of him, with that achilles all the way up in his pelvis and all. OR

No wonder he was out all season in '04, with the Dr.'s working on healing the muscle in his groin. If only they'd known his achilles was shot.

The only real concern I have about Ron Dayne carrying the load is can he consistently gain yards, especially in short yardage.

Bell is a change of pace back because, 1) he's not good in pass protection and 2) he leaves his team in too many 2nd-and-8 / 3rd-and-7 situations.

So long as Dayne handles business in those two areas, I see no reason he can't be a 1200-1400 yard runner in that system. He's got good power and deceptive speed once he hits the second level.

Everyone is underestimating Dayne's chances.

1) On Thanksgiving, he looked as determined and confident as he did back at Wisconsin. I believe the RB that I saw that day can win the job in Denver - can that Dayne show up that all summer and throughout the season? I have no idea, but I feel that Dayne confirmed that there is still an effective RB in there somewhere that day.

2) He'll be completely up to speed on the zone blocking scheme next year.

3) The coaching staff must think he's at least got a shot at winning this job because they sought him, and now want to retain him.

4) Tatum Bell did break off some electrifying long runs last year, but his durability history and team success with Anderson moving the chains and Bell in a change of pace role last year indicates that maybe his current role is what he is best suited for. Bell has had 2 years to seize the job and is yet to have done it. While he has to be the favorite if Anderson is gone, history is not his side.

5) Shanahan will very likely draft an RB. The last 4 years he has hit one HR (Portis) one Single (Bell) and two strikeouts, one swinging (Griffin), and one looking (Clarett). Not the greatest batting average.

Dayne has a chance. Even if its only a 5% chance, his current cost in a dynasty league more than justifies buying that lottery ticket.

Everyone is underestimating Dayne's chances. (snip)Dayne has a chance. Even if its only a 5% chance,
:loco:
I threw out 5% to make the point that even if you think he's a longshot, he's worth buying right now. Personally, I would put that number around 25-30% right now.

Everyone is underestimating Dayne's chances. (snip)Dayne has a chance. Even if its only a 5% chance,
I threw out 5% to make the point that even if you think he's a longshot, he's worth buying right now. Personally, I would put that number around 25-30% right now.
Would you put Bell's chances at getting the majority of the carries at above or below Dayne's chances?

Would you put Bell's chances at getting the majority of the carries at above or below Dayne's chances?
i think you were asking bloom, & i am curious on his take as well...i'll chime in & say above... the scary thing is we probably thought 80%-90% last season... & a lot of us were wrong... which sets up an ominous precedent for 2006...

Right now, Im only looking at Bell, Dayne, and Cobbs as contenders. Bell, I'd have a 65-70% with Cobbs as the 5% long shot, envisioning the most likely scenario being Parker/Bettis type split. The rookie will cut into Bell and Dayne, more from the guy they are more similar to. If Anderson gets re-signed, that will put a huge dent in Dayne's chances. Training camp developments will be the biggest factor in moving these numbers.

i think you were asking bloom, & i am curious on his take as well...i'll chime in & say above... the scary thing is we probably thought 80%-90% last season... & a lot of us were wrong... which sets up an ominous precedent for 2006...
Yeah thats why I wanted to emphasize that Bell has had two shots so far. We can't lose sight of that. I will say that I don't think Bell lost the job last year as much as Anderson won it. Anderson is a dependable back at doing all the little things, and Dayne doesn't bring the same sort of all around package that Anderson did.

Most likely scenario, yet again, in Denver is RBBC. The reasons:

1. HC Shanahan has gone on record on more than one occasion that he doesn't want Bell to have more than 15 carries a game.

2. Add that to Bell's carries last year, which can be wrapped up as "all or nothing". 50% of his carries were for 2 yards or less (92/184 carries including playoffs) last year. That's huge.

Either Dayne will be given the shot to compliment Bell or Anderson will be back and a run attack similar to 2005 will be in place in Denver this fall.

1) On Thanksgiving, he looked as determined and confident as he did back at Wisconsin. I believe the RB that I saw that day can win the job in Denver - can that Dayne show up that all summer and throughout the season? I have no idea, but I feel that Dayne confirmed that there is still an effective RB in there somewhere that day.

3) The coaching staff must think he's at least got a shot at winning this job because they sought him, and now want to retain him.

4) Tatum Bell did break off some electrifying long runs last year, but his durability history and team success with Anderson moving the chains and Bell in a change of pace role last year indicates that maybe his current role is what he is best suited for. Bell has had 2 years to seize the job and is yet to have done it. While he has to be the favorite if Anderson is gone, history is not his side.

5) Shanahan will very likely draft an RB. The last 4 years he has hit one HR (Portis) one Single (Bell) and two strikeouts, one swinging (Griffin), and one looking (Clarett). Not the greatest batting average.

Dayne has a chance. Even if its only a 5% chance, his current cost in a dynasty league more than justifies buying that lottery ticket.
Remember last year when Shanny and Sundquist were talking up Anderson, way back to April and May - they guy they praise through mini camps and training camp is probably going to be the one - until we get started on that it is hard to say though. Other than that, agree with the assesment.

Most likely scenario, yet again, in Denver is RBBC.  The reasons:

1.  HC Shanahan has gone on record on more than one occasion that he doesn't want Bell to have more than 15 carries a game.

2.  Add that to Bell's carries last year, which can be wrapped up as "all or nothing".  50% of his carries were for 2 yards or less (92/184 carries including playoffs) last year.    That's huge.

Either Dayne will be given the shot to compliment Bell or Anderson will be back and a  run attack similar to 2005 will be in place in Denver this fall.
I agree with the bolded parts but disagree (partly) with the italicsThe reason: Shanny has Bell. Has Dayne. May resign Anderson. BUT will draft RB. Bell is an excellent complement to a bruiser. I believe they will draft a bruiser and hope he can be the man one day. If they are able to find someone with the head screwed on just slightly better than Mo Clarett they should be able to find someone to step into Andersons role - if he can the develop into TD or Portis - excellent.

Remember last year when Shanny and Sundquist were talking up Anderson, way back to April and May - they guy they praise through mini camps and training camp is probably going to be the one - until we get started on that it is hard to say though. Other than that, agree with the assesment.
:goodposting: This situation will hopefully become less murky as the season approaches. It does appear that the Denver brass is impressed with Ron Dayne and at worst, he should find himself in a rotation of sorts this season. Once he gets a head of steam up, he is a pretty talented back and the Denver scheme does seem to fit him quite well.

Tatum Bell is the ultimate home-run hitter but he has not been able to make a consistent impact on the field. His role will almost certainly be the 'change of pace' guy once again in 2006.

The only real roadblock to Dayne getting significant playing time is (a)whether the Broncos take a look at a free agent back and (b) if the Broncos manage to land a top rookie back in the draft. Other than that, Dayne could be in the perfect place to finally put together a decent pro season.

Keep your eye on this situation as he could ultimately be a Super Sleeper!

As things currently stand - Bell and Cobbs on the team, the draft to come, Mike Anderson cut, and the team wanting to re-sign Ron dayne - I would place the odds as follows...

60% - Ron Dayne getting 20 carries per game, completmented by Tatum Bell.

30% - Tatum Bell carrying load complimented by Dayne

10% - Rookie or Mike Anderson being resigned to carry load, complimented by Bell and/or Dayne.

The news coming out of Denver all along has been that they want to re-sign Dayne and he sounds eager to lay down ink.

Given his (limited) 2005 success and Tatum Bell's limitations, how could you not help but like Dayne's chances to emerge as the front runner?

As things currently stand - Bell and Cobbs on the team, the draft to come, Mike Anderson cut, and the team wanting to re-sign Ron dayne - I would place the odds as follows...

60% - Ron Dayne getting 20 carries per game, completmented by Tatum Bell.

30% - Tatum Bell carrying load complimented by Dayne

10% - Rookie or Mike Anderson being resigned to carry load, complimented by Bell and/or Dayne.

The news coming out of Denver all along has been that they want to re-sign Dayne and he sounds eager to lay down ink.

Given his (limited) 2005 success and Tatum Bell's limitations, how could you not help but like Dayne's chances to emerge as the front runner?
Lukin is that you? :ph34r:

Im not feelin' the Ron Dayne love. Just not feelin' it. Mike Anderson was one hard Marine that was tough as nails. Im not sure Dayne is cut from that same cloth.

Yeah, this year is different. Ron Dayne will finally be a force
Of course we do get these Dayne resurrection rumors every off-season and every season they come to nothing.And yet... I saw the Broncos-Cowboys game and Dayne was really slamming it in there. I mean really hitting the hole hard and fast, running with authority, and he looked sculpted too, not fat.

Yeah, this year is different. Ron Dayne will finally be a force
Of course we do get these Dayne resurrection rumors every off-season and every season they come to nothing.And yet... I saw the Broncos-Cowboys game and Dayne was really slamming it in there. I mean really hitting the hole hard and fast, running with authority, and he looked sculpted too, not fat.
Agreed. System and opportunity can do wonders for a guy's stats....pretty much explains how Dayne won the Heisman, too. Any RB1 in Denver is very valuable, be it Droughns, Mike Anderson, or even Ron Dayne.

And the key here with the Dayne/Anderson fantasy comparison is that everyone thought Tatum Bell was the man coming into last season, so those who picked up Anderson probably got him at serious value as a 3rd or 4th RB. So, if Dayne does pan out next year, he'd be a good value as long as he's not chosen as a 2nd RB. 3rd or 4th maybe....but would I pick him up without any history of production just because he's with Denver??....with Bell lurking?.....and other backs likely to appear out of nowhere that could become the next big thing????......H-NO!

Ok, he's finally in the systme that suits his talent...but he's not playing in college. If he was as tough as Bettis was in his prime, I'll pick him in the first in a heartbeat. The guy is just asoft for his size and that doesn't suit fine with me.

He did average 5.1 YPC in 2005.
I mentioned this in one of the other threads. Dayne had around 50 carries and averaged a 4.1 ypc. He had one big gainer against Dallas that messed with his ypc. Dayne will not have a 5.0 ypc if he ever became a starter.

Users who are viewing this thread