What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Race for the 2020 MVP award (3 Viewers)

Never disagreed with that.... my counterpoint to Starks was purely stat based.  If I had to vote an MVP between Henry and Cook I give it to Henry for sure. 

His stats are just not dominant over other RB's this year.... which imo would be a prerequisite for the extremely rare case of an RB deserving the MVP.
I get your point, but I think you can make a case for Henry based on 250 and 2 today, in a game to clinch the division, and give him 2000 yards for the season.....only the 8th time in history

I get your point, but I think you can make a case for Henry based on 250 and 2 today, in a game to clinch the division, and give him 2000 yards for the season.....only the 8th time in history
He had an amazing season.  Heck, I own Henry and don't own any of Cook, I just find it amazing how people kept writing off Cook's stats this year vs Kamara and Herny.  Reveiving yards matter.... so while the 2000 for Henry is amazing, it has become a passing league and more of an All-Purpose league.  If Cook plays those 2 games he missed, he out gains Henry in Yardage this year, and Touchdowns. 

I'm not saying whether I agree with it or not, but the MVP votes are based on stats and not on 'how important you are to your team", or "strength of opponents".  With Cook and Henry having almost identical statistical seasons, I can't justify worshiping his numbers enough to give him MVP consideration.  RB of the year?  Absolutely it's Henry without a doubt.

So I couldn't find a Defensive player of the year page so just will put all my guesses hear for the main rewards.

I think Alex Smith is basically guaranteed CPOY after everything he has been through and helped his team get to the playoffs.

I believe Justin Jefferson should win Offense Rookie of the Year even though I see Herberts' name often. Herbert is a rather average qb with great promise while Jefferson is in a conversation of his own.

I believe Aaron Donald DESERVES DPOY but my gut says he will get voter fatigue and it will go to TJ Watt.

MVP is a hard one as both Mahomes and Rodgers killed it this year but I believe Rodgers gets it.

Just wanted to post these as well:

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1340859354480861184

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1332509974132629505

Last edited by a moderator:
This will probably sound like a hot take, but I'm not the type to just say things for reactions. That said, Derrick Henry would be my 3rd choice...on the Titans.

ETA: I'd still call Henry the best RB this year, but he'd be around 10th or so for MVP in my eyes. Too many as good or better guys, at more important positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will probably sound like a hot take, but I'm not the type to just say things for reactions. That said, Derrick Henry would be my 3rd choice...on the Titans.

ETA: I'd still call Henry the best RB this year, but he'd be around 10th or so for MVP in my eyes. Too many as good or better guys, at more important positions.
I could not disagree more with that about "on the Titans".  Without Henry/thread of Henry...Tannehill is not nearly as good as he is.  And are you arguing Brown is ahead of Henry as well?

I could not disagree more with that about "on the Titans".  Without Henry/thread of Henry...Tannehill is not nearly as good as he is.  And are you arguing Brown is ahead of Henry as well?
Yes, Brown was the other guy. 

I agree Tannehill is not as good without Henry, I'd also argue Henry is nowhere near as good without Tannehill and Brown. Plus, we actually have evidence of that, as Henry was having a middling year in 2019 until Mariota was benched for Tannehill and Brown was promoted to a starter. 

Final picks for me:

MVP-Aaron Rodgers

OPOY-Travis Kelce

DPOY-Aaron Donald

OROY-Justin Jefferson

DROY-Chase Young

HCOY-Ron Rivera

CPOY-Alex Smith

I have my doubts that Kelce will win, as for some reason TEs are always undervalued. Likewise with Jefferson, as anytime a QB plays well they seem to get it. So it'll likely be Herbert and Henry, I just think they are less deserving. 

Final picks for me:

MVP-Aaron Rodgers

OPOY-Travis Kelce

DPOY-Aaron Donald

OROY-Justin Jefferson

DROY-Chase Young

HCOY-Ron Rivera

CPOY-Alex Smith

I have my doubts that Kelce will win, as for some reason TEs are always undervalued. Likewise with Jefferson, as anytime a QB plays well they seem to get it. So it'll likely be Herbert and Henry, I just think they are less deserving. 
I like these picks a lot.  Would only change 2. 

OPOY- Henry

HCOY- I honestly think it's going to be McDermott.  I'd say Stefanski, Lafleur, and Rivera both all shots, but remember you can pretty much take the original O/U wins for the season and subtract it from total wins and COY has a great shot at that.  Flores and Reid are the other 2 with the highest vegas odds to win it, with a big drop off to Tomlin in 7th place.  This is how well each team outperformed their expected win total.  I think McDermott takes this.

Bills +4
Browns +2.5
WFT + 2
Miami +4
GB +4.5
KC +2.5
Pitt +2.5

He had an amazing season.  Heck, I own Henry and don't own any of Cook, I just find it amazing how people kept writing off Cook's stats this year vs Kamara and Herny.  Reveiving yards matter.... so while the 2000 for Henry is amazing, it has become a passing league and more of an All-Purpose league.  If Cook plays those 2 games he missed, he out gains Henry in Yardage this year, and Touchdowns. 

I'm not saying whether I agree with it or not, but the MVP votes are based on stats and not on 'how important you are to your team", or "strength of opponents".  With Cook and Henry having almost identical statistical seasons, I can't justify worshiping his numbers enough to give him MVP consideration.  RB of the year?  Absolutely it's Henry without a doubt.
Season on the line In a late season game, I would rather roster Henry than Cook.  Henry is a cheat code who can handle a very heavy work load.  Cook wears down at the end of seasons and wasn’t quite the same back after his 30 carry game v the Bears.   

This stat seems situational, and possibly  misleading.  
How do you even determine if a pass is deemed “interceptable” or not? Quarterbacks have to throw into tight windows every single game. Is this passes that defenders just dropped? Sounds like a super subjective stat to me. I don’t really have a dog in this fight, I’m just genuinely curious as I’ve never heard that before. 

I like these picks a lot.  Would only change 2. 

OPOY- Henry

HCOY- I honestly think it's going to be McDermott.  I'd say Stefanski, Lafleur, and Rivera both all shots, but remember you can pretty much take the original O/U wins for the season and subtract it from total wins and COY has a great shot at that.  Flores and Reid are the other 2 with the highest vegas odds to win it, with a big drop off to Tomlin in 7th place.  This is how well each team outperformed their expected win total.  I think McDermott takes this.

Bills +4
Browns +2.5
WFT + 2
Miami +4
GB +4.5
KC +2.5
Pitt +2.5
I think the case for Rivera, is he took over a team with the #2 pick the year before, and won he division. He did that while battling Cancer, and using 4 QBs, including 1 who was so bad they cut him. On top of all that, is a FO being sued, the owner making an ### of himself, and the team's name being changed.

True, the record isn't the best, but I think some other factors, including off field stuff could, and should, come into play here.

My case against Henry is just I don't think his season was as impressive as kelce's was. Maybe if Henry ran for 2,200 yards in 15 games it would be closer, but kelce broke the single season record without even playing week 17. He may have lead the NFL in receiving if he hadn't, which is unheard of for a TE.

Kelce was unanimously the best player at his position, other than maybe Aaron Donald, I don't think that consensus exists anywhere else.

Season on the line In a late season game, I would rather roster Henry than Cook.  Henry is a cheat code who can handle a very heavy work load.  Cook wears down at the end of seasons and wasn’t quite the same back after his 30 carry game v the Bears.   

100% agree with you.

We are ONLY talking about stats though... which has been mentioned many times.

I think the case for Rivera, is he took over a team with the #2 pick the year before, and won he division. He did that while battling Cancer, and using 4 QBs, including 1 who was so bad they cut him. On top of all that, is a FO being sued, the owner making an ### of himself, and the team's name being changed.

True, the record isn't the best, but I think some other factors, including off field stuff could, and should, come into play here.

My case against Henry is just I don't think his season was as impressive as kelce's was. Maybe if Henry ran for 2,200 yards in 15 games it would be closer, but kelce broke the single season record without even playing week 17. He may have lead the NFL in receiving if he hadn't, which is unheard of for a TE.

Kelce was unanimously the best player at his position, other than maybe Aaron Donald, I don't think that consensus exists anywhere else.
Ya it's close betewen Kelce and Henry.

Back to COY, I don't think a COY has ever had a losing record, and I don't think they EVER will.  It's again (which we've discussed many times), not about all these other factors you mention, it's about stats.  Buffalo and GB were just both so much better than expected.  Vegas agrees, Rivera currently has the 4th best odds to win it.  Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I'd be shocked if he won.

How do you even determine if a pass is deemed “interceptable” or not? Quarterbacks have to throw into tight windows every single game. Is this passes that defenders just dropped? Sounds like a super subjective stat to me. I don’t really have a dog in this fight, I’m just genuinely curious as I’ve never heard that before. 
There's a twitter video showing the 15 from Mahomes. Title says 16, but they counted one even though there was no play due to a late hit. 

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers was voted first-team All-Pro by the Associated Press.

This is the third All-Pro selection for Rodgers, who beat out Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen. It's also a strong sign Rodgers will be voted MVP later this month. Rams DT Aaron Donald and Chiefs TE Travis Kelce were the only unanimous picks. Titans RB Derrick Henry, Packers WR Davante Adams, and Bills WR Stefon Diggs all made the team as first-time selections.

SOURCE: AP News

Jan 8, 2021, 12:40 PM ET

For all of the chatter about how Cook was supposedly as good as Henry this year, Henry ended up as the 1st team All-Pro RB while Cook wasn't even 2nd Team (Kamara was).  Not playing for a playoff team certainly hurt Cook, and Kamara's 6-TD game in week 16 being so fresh in the minds of voters was likely a factor, but it's interesting to note, nonetheless. 

Rodgers winning the MVP award seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. 

For all of the chatter about how Cook was supposedly as good as Henry this year, Henry ended up as the 1st team All-Pro RB while Cook wasn't even 2nd Team (Kamara was).  Not playing for a playoff team certainly hurt Cook, and Kamara's 6-TD game in week 16 being so fresh in the minds of voters was likely a factor, but it's interesting to note, nonetheless. 

Rodgers winning the MVP award seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. 
Cook deserved that spot over Kamara

That puts the nail in the coffin.  Mahomes out today and Rodgers has 3tds already.  Rodgers wins and probably by quite a bit. 

My Prediction for Votes:
Rodgers 43
Mahomes 4
Allen 2
Henry 1
Damn I was damn close.  Those who thought Henry had a good shot at this or should have won it, he didn't even get a single vote.  I pretty much just mixed Mahomes and Allen's numbers up.

FINAL VOTES:
Rodgers 44
Allen 4
Mahomes 2

Final picks for me:

MVP-Aaron Rodgers- CORRECT- (44/50 votes)

OPOY-Travis Kelce- HENRY (Kelce got 3/50 votes)

DPOY-Aaron Donald- CORRECT (27/50 votes)

OROY-Justin Jefferson- HERBERT (Jefferson got 9/50 votes)

DROY-Chase Young- CORRECT (42.5/50 votes)

HCOY-Ron Rivera- STEFANSKI (Rivera 4/50 votes)

CPOY-Alex Smith- CORRECT (49/50 votes)

https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1358260988760440832/photo/1 

Users who are viewing this thread