What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Radar Watch '04 (1 Viewer)

Texans | Peek To Remain Starter? - from www.KFFL.comWed, 3 Mar 2004 23:17:48 -0800Joseph Duarte, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans might be content to go into 2004 with LB Antwan Peek as their outside linebacker.
WOOOHOOO!! :thumbup: :D I have Peek on my dynasty roster...but with Foreman and Sharper beside him, how much value will he have even if he does start?

Latest from TSN:

The jury is still out on MLB Terry Pierce, a second-round pick last year. He was inactive for the first six games, played in three, but then was placed on injured reserve with a torn pectoral muscle. He's a big hitter, attacks well and has good lateral movement, but his pass-coverage skills remain suspect. If the team loses Wilson, Pierce might be pressed into service before he's ready
Broncos | Pierce Will Get Chance to Play - from www.KFFL.comThu, 4 Mar 2004 21:32:22 -0800

Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday, March 4, the team feels LB Terry Pierce needs to lose some weight. He's going to have the opportunity to play in one of the team's linebacker positions in 2004. Shanahan said the team will get a chance to see what he does during the offseason and evaluate him from there.

Some more on Terry Pierce:

Strength coach Rich Tuten will pay extra attention to Lelie, who needs to get tougher so he can battle physical cornerbacks. He'll also work second-year MLB Terry Pierce. The club wants Pierce (6-1, 251) to shed 10 pounds so he can play any of the three linebacker slots. With free agent Ian Gold's departure likely and John Mobley's return from a neck injury questionable, Pierce needs to be more versatile. Last year, Tuten introduced tip-drills and pass-catching games to help the defensive backs and linebackers create interceptions. After the club picked off a league-low nine passes for the second straight year, he'll increase those drills this spring. TSN

LB

Bradie James, DAL
The coaches are considering adding a 3-4 package to the defense. Though the team's base defense would continue to be a 4-3, it could use the 3-4--as the Patriots do--to confuse opponents. The move also would get second-year OLB Bradie James on the field more often. James, an explosive hitter with size (6-2, 245), is behind OLBs Al Singleton and Dexter Coakley on the depth chart. TSN

LB

James Allen, NO
The team is leaning toward starting SLB James Allen over incumbent Sedrick Hodge, who still would play on passing downs. Allen is more physical and better against the run. Hodge is a better athlete, and his range makes him superior against the pass. TSN

REPLACING GRANT WISTROM

The team will likely have to get by with in-house candidates to replace RE Grant Wistrom, who signed with Seattle. Bryce Fisher showed a quick first step as a pass rusher last season, but whether he's stout enough at 268 pounds to hold up against the run is uncertain. Tyoka Jackson, 32, seems to be getting better with age. Only Wistrom and LE Leonard Little put more pressure on the quarterback last season than Jackson, who also can play tackle. Also in the mix is Erik Flowers, who joined the team late last season but played only on special teams. TSN

REPLACING CARLOS EMMONS

This was before Dhani Jones was brought into the mix.

LB Carlos Emmons' departure (Giants) leaves a void. Unless the team addresses the need early in the draft, unproven Justin Ena will be given a chance to win the job. Ena has ideal size for the position (6-3, 247), but he has played primarily on special teams his first two years with the team. TSN

Reggie Hayward, DEN

Now that sack leader Bertrand Berry signed with Arizona, the team needs a pass-rushing right end. The favorite to fill the role is Reggie Hayward. A speed pass rusher, Hayward will need to improve his run defense and stamina. TSN

Julian Battle, KC

The Chiefs' interest in re-signing CB William Bartee is an indication they aren't sold on second-year CB Julian Battle. A superior athlete, Battle has the skills of a top corner. But he's inexperienced. Unless he makes dramatic improvement, he will enter camp no higher than fourth on the depth chart. TSN

DL

Rodney Bailey, PIT
Patriots | Acquire Bailey - from www.KFFL.comThu, 11 Mar 2004 12:32:54 -0800

Updating a previous report, Andy Hart, of Patriots.com, reports the New England Patriots were awarded restricted free agent DE Rodney Bailey (Steelers) Thursday, March 11, after the Pittsburgh Steelers had decided not to match the Patriots offer sheet. Bailey will sign a one-year $1.3 million deal, including a $650,000 signing bonus. The Patriots are required to send their 2004 sixth-round draft choice to the Steelers as compensation for signing Bailey.

Steelers | Decide Not To Match Bailey Offer; Acquire Draft Choice - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:41:13 -0800

Updating a previous report, Andy Hart, of Patriots.com, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have decided not to match the New England Patriots offer sheet for restricted free agent DE Rodney Bailey and will acquire the Patriots sixth-round draft choice in 2004 as compensation.

Cowboys | CB Not High Priority - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:04:24 -0800

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said adding a cornerback was not as big a priority as originally thought. The Cowboys hoped to find a free-agent upgrade from departed free agent CB Mario Edwards. If they don't, Jones said the Cowboys are comfortable with reserve CBs Peter Hunter, Donald Mitchell and possibly Andrew Davison competing for the starting job on the right side, opposite LCB Terence Newman.

Last edited by a moderator:
DB

Terrence McGee, BUF
CB Terrence McGee has the quickness and ball skills to play slot receivers. But McGee (5-9, 201) must show he can cover big outside receivers, be a force against the run, get stronger and sharpen his techniques in case he needs to be a starter. TSN

DL

Chris Kelsay, BUF
DE Chris Kelsay has a relentless style and good quickness as an edge pass rusher but must add strength to engage big offensive linemen at the point of attack. If he can develop an all-around game, Kelsay could be a key contributor. TSN

Dennis Weathersby, CB-CIN

The salary-cap purge of CBs Artrell Hawkins and Jeff Burris is a vote of confidence for CB Dennis Weathersby, whose size and speed will make him a factor on the left side. The team wants to sign a free agent so Weathersby can ease his way into the lineup as a nickel back before he becomes a starter. TSN

LB

Nick Greisen, NYG
The release of MLB Mike Barrow leaves a gaping hole in the middle. Nick Greisen has shown promise and might get a crack at the job, but the team figures to add competition both with a veteran and a draft pick. Greisen is energetic on special teams but has not had a chance to prove himself as a regular. TSN

DL

Osi Umenyiora, NYG
DE Osi Umenyiora is the front-runner for the open starting spot on the right side, but he must build on a promising rookie year. Umenyiora needs to be more of a force against the run and more consistent overall. TSN

LB

Chaun Thompson, CLE
Too often, the team plays well on first and second downs, only to collapse on third down by allowing a completion to the tight end. WLB Kevin Bentley frequently was the guy getting beat. He faces competition from Chaun Thompson. Thompson is raw but has potential to improve because of his speed and athleticism. TSN

LB

Cie Grant, NO

James Allen, NO
The team wants to take better advantage of Cie Grant's range and instincts, so he will line up a yard or two deeper than most middle linebackers. The Ravens line up Ray Lewis in a similar way. The alignment should improve pursuit angles and allow fewer linemen to reach Grant (6-0, 230). The team might move James Allen into a platoon with Sedrick Hodge at strongside linebacker. If the more physical Allen meets the challenge, he'll play on running downs and yield to the speedy Hodge in passing situations. TSN

Solomon Bates, SEA

Middle linebacker has been a revolving door; the team has used six starters in five seasons. Solomon Bates could be No. 7. He's a big hitter with speed and range, but he needs experience. He'll have to improve at reading and reacting on running plays. TSN
If the team is more physical up front, coordinator Ray Rhodes will be able to use a smaller, faster middle linebacker--either Solomon Bates or a rookie if the team drafts a middle linebacker in the first two rounds. TSN

LB

Travian Smith, OAK
Ryan views OLB Travian Smith as a player who can flourish in his system because of Smith's ability to play both end and linebacker. Smith is an accomplished blitzer with an impressive combination of speed and strength. TSN

Dennis Weathersby

Bengals | Weathersby Could Start - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:56:24 -0800

Updating a previous report, Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports Cincinnati Bengals second-year CB Dennis Weathersby is the leading candidate for the starting left cornerback job heading into minicamps. "Two years from now," Bengals WR Chad Johnson said, "Dennis is going to be like a Champ Bailey. A shut-down corner because of the way he's built with long arms. He can be a shut-down corner easy."

DL

Kalimba Edwards, DET
Let's fire up the bandwagon :thumbup: again

Lions | Edwards Making Improvement - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:59:29 -0800

The Detroit News reports Detroit Lions DE Kalimba Edwards (hernia) has shown marked improvement, according to Lions head coach Steve Mariucci. Edwards was hampered last season because of a hernia. "He said to me two weeks ago, he feels better than in years," Mariucci said of Edwards. "He's starting to gain some weight, some strength. I think he's going to come alive."

Here's a name that I didn't mention.

"Big Play" Terrence Holt?

If the team drafts University of Miami S Sean Taylor in the first round, it could put the squeeze on SS Brian Walker, who has three years left on his contract. Terrence Holt, who finished strong as a rookie, is expected to start at free safety. Taylor is an ideal fit on the strong side. Walker, 31, is not well-suited for a backup role because he isn't a strong special teams player; he could end up being released. CB Otis Smith, 38, likely will get an offer to return for another season because the team believes he still can be effective. He brings experience to a young unit. TSN
Lions | Holt Given Time to Learn - from www.KFFL.comFri, 26 Mar 2004 07:13:30 -0800

Curt Sylvester, of the Detroit Free Press, reports second-year S Terrence Holt will now be given time to develop as a backup due to the addition of FS Brock Marion.

Reports now say that Marion will start at FS with Brian Walker at SS :(

Rien Long, DT-TEN

Titans | Long Will Get His Shot - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:02:55 -0800

Gary Glenn, of TitansOnline.com, reports Tennessee Titans second-year DL Rien Long will have ample opportunity to compete for a starting job this season. "There's a position that's open and it's up for grabs, so it's time for me to step up to the plate and be on the field more," Long said. "I know the coaches are hopeful that I can fill the part and get it done." Titans head coach Jeff Fisher said the 2002 Outland Trophy winner (given to the best interior defensive lineman in college football) "needs bulk, he needs strength, and he needs conditioning," adding "we feel like one year will make a huge difference."

DB

Michael Jameson, CLE

Chris Crocker, CLE
Browns | Little Given Permission To Seek Trade - from www.KFFL.comTue, 30 Mar 2004 08:39:11 -0800

The Sun-Sentinel reports agent Drew Rosenhaus said the Cleveland Browns have given him permission to pursue a trade for Browns S Earl Little. Rosenhaus said the Browns are seeking draft compensation between the fourth- and seventh-rounds for Little.

A starter in 41 games over the last three seasons (including all 16 in '03) Little has averaged 68 solo tackles and five interceptions per year.

Hanik Milligan, SD

The team was intrigued with SS Hanik Milligan during training camp, but a torn pectoral muscle landed him on injured reserve. It will be interesting to see how Milligan fits into the team's plans because fellow rookie Terrence Kiel played well as a late-season starter. Coach Marty Schottenheimer could switch one of them to free safety. Kiel has better ball skills, but Milligan might have better range. TSN
SS Hanik Milligan will get a long look in the preseason. He opened eyes as a rookie last summer but missed the regular season after tearing a pectoral muscle in camp. The Chargers are intrigued with his size (6-2, 201) and tackling ability. Milligan is a big hitter but must prove himself in coverage. TSN

DB

Arturo Freeman, MIA
Dolphins | Freeman to Start? - from www.KFFL.comSat, 28 Feb 2004 20:26:09 -0800

The Palm Beach Post reports Miami Dolphins S Arturo Freeman is expected to step back into the starting lineup, as he's slated to replace recently released S Brock Marion.

Dolphins | Freeman Signs Two-year Deal - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:25:09 -0800

The Palm Beach Post reports the Miami Dolphins have signed S Arturo Freeman to a two-year contract. Financial terms were undisclosed.
The club wants to draft a free safety to compete against Arturo Freeman for the chance to succeed Brock Marion, who was cut. The Dolphins want to add speed at the position after discovering the combination of Marion and SS Sammy Knight was too slow. Knight, who is smart enough to make up for his lack of speed and is a rugged tackler, will start again. Freeman has enough speed but must maintain his concentration. Look for the team to take a safety in the third or fourth round and give him ample opportunity to compete for the job. TSN

LB

Chaun Thompson, CLE
The Plain Dealer
Thompson promoted:

Remember Chaun Thompson? The Browns' surprise second-round draft pick last year barely played on defense. Davis has promoted him to starting strongside linebacker.

"We're going to give him a chance to see how good he can be," Davis said.

The coach said Kevin Bentley and Ben Taylor will compete for the other outside linebacker starting spot. Davis also said Thompson will remain the starter even if the team reaches a contract agreement with free agent Warrick Holdman.

If Holdman is signed, he would join the Bentley-Taylor competition, Davis said.

Adalius Thomas, LB-BAL

Ravens | Thomas to Compete For Starting LB Job - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:07:10 -0700

Adam H. Beasley, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens LB Adalius Thomas (elbow) will have every opportunity to compete for a starting linebacker job, according to the Ravens outside linebackers coach Jeff Fitzgerald. However, Thomas will face a stiff challenge beating out second-year LB Terrell Suggs as the starter, who Baltimore is looking to make an every-down player. Regardless if he starts or not, Thomas will be utilized on the defensive line in dime package situations in 2004.

LB

Eddie Moore, MIA
Dolphins | Moore Arrested, Hospitalized - from www.KFFL.comFri, 2 Apr 2004 09:09:14 -0800

The Miami Herald reports Miami Dolphins LB Eddie Moore was arrested and hospitalized briefly Saturday, March 27, after a fight at a Pembroke Pines, Florida nightclub. Moore was taken into custody at about 2 a.m. after being involved in a fight inside the nightclub. Moore was briefly knocked unconscious, and sustained a half-inch cut on his lip. "We're aware of the incident, we're investigating it, and we've notified the league," Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene said. "However, since it's in the judicial system, we will not have a comment until its resolution."

DB

Terreal Bierria, SEA
Seahawks | Bierria Candidate For SS Spot - from www.KFFL.comThu, 8 Apr 2004 11:46:55 -0700

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports Seattle Seahawks S Terreal Bierria is a candidate for the starting strong safety position.

Damien Robinson's name was also mentioned.

Pete Hunter, DAL
Cowboys | Hunter Could Move Into Starting Role - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:06:28 -0700

The Dallas Morning News reports Dallas Cowboys CB Peter Hunter could be asked to start opposite CB Terence Newman, now that former starting CB Mario Edwards has signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

More and more I do not understand why parcells kicked derek ross on the team. He had a outstanding rookie year, and yah im sure his stats were better then his actual play, but he definatly had potential. I can only guess the guy was a complete headcase and did not get along with the tuna at all, otherwise it makes no sense to cut a potentially talented young corner, especially with the need of one on the team.

LB

Chaun Thompson, CLE
The Plain Dealer
Thompson promoted:

Remember Chaun Thompson? The Browns' surprise second-round draft pick last year barely played on defense. Davis has promoted him to starting strongside linebacker.

"We're going to give him a chance to see how good he can be," Davis said.

The coach said Kevin Bentley and Ben Taylor will compete for the other outside linebacker starting spot. Davis also said Thompson will remain the starter even if the team reaches a contract agreement with free agent Warrick Holdman.

If Holdman is signed, he would join the Bentley-Taylor competition, Davis said.
WLB Chaun Thompson has replaced Kevin Bentley as the starter despite playing very little last season as a rookie. Thompson has great speed and athleticism, requirements for linebackers in the Browns' defense, but he still is raw. Bentley struggled in pass coverage lastseason. He will move to the strong side and compete with Ben Taylor. Bentley will have a difficult time beating out Taylor, a smart player who positions himself well. TSN

Bengals | Gardener Agrees To Terms - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:52:48 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the Denver Post, reports the Cincinnati Bengals have reached an agreement with Denver Broncos DT Daryl Gardener on a four-year, $9.3 million contract. The deal will be officially announced this week. The Broncos have said they will release Gardener after June 1, at which point he officially will be allowed to sign with the Bengals.
I gotta update my Bengals' offseason moves. We keep racking up discarded Broncos, and i hoping that M. Lewis knows what he's doing with these offseason signings becuase i have yet to see one that i'm wild about (ie. O'Neal, etc.).

Nick Greisen, MLB-NYG

The release of MLB Mike Barrow leaves a gaping hole in the middle. Nick Greisen has shown promise and might get a crack at the job, but the team figures to add competition both with a veteran and a draft pick. Greisen is energetic on special teams but has not had a chance to prove himself as a regular. TSN
Giants | Greisen Expects to Start at MLB - from www.KFFL.comMon, 12 Apr 2004 20:28:11 -0700

New York Giants third-year LB Nick Greisen expects to take over the starting middle linebacker spot this season after the release of former Giants LB Mike Barrow, who he backed up the previous two years. "As of right now it is in my head that that job is going to be mine," Greisen said. "I'm the only one here right now. I know that I am going to have to compete for it; I know that I am going to have to work hard to get it. I am not afraid of that – of putting in the time and effort to win the spot. I do think that I can play at this level and be a starter."

Giants | Greisen Sheds Weight, Gains Strength - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:22:48 -0700

Updating a previous report, Michael Eisen, of Giants.com, reports New York Giants LB Nick Greisen has spent six weeks with a personal trainer in Phoenix, Arizona, in order to prepare for the 2004 season. "I lost about 10 pounds and tried to gain some speed and also got stronger," said Greisen. Greisen is competing for the starting middle linebacker position after LB Mike Barrow was released.

Broncos | Herndon Entering Camp as Starter - from www.KFFL.com

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:40:01 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Denver Broncos CB Kelly Herndon will enter training camp as the team's starter at right cornerback.

Cie Grant, NO
this was in a report from the Denver Post regarding Ian Gold's visit to New Orleans:
The Saints re-signed weakside linebacker Derrick Rodgers, and plan to shift last year's third-round draft choice Cie Grant to weakside linebacker.
which led me to see if anyone else had picked up on this, and all I came up with was this quote from Jim Haslett:
-- On the middle linebacker position: "I don't know who the middle linebacker is. Our middle linebacker has been inconsistent the last three years. Somebody has got to emerge as an inside linebacker. I don't know who it is, whether it's (Orlando) Ruff or Cie Grant. That's a question mark. We really haven't settled on anyone there. We've got to find one."
For a team that wants to add speed on defense, Grant should get a long look in training camp, but grabbing Vilma or DJ Williams in round 1 is also a strong possibility. I'm guessing the positions won't be determined until after the draft anyway, but Derrick Rodgers is 32 years old so someone is going to have to take over that spot sometime soon.

DB

Jamie Henderson, NYJ
Jets | Henderson Upgraded To Fair Condition - from www.KFFL.comTue, 13 Apr 2004 09:29:08 -0700

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets CB Jamie Henderson (head) was upgraded to fair condition Monday, April 12. Henderson had been at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia since a motorcycle accident Saturday, April 3, when he suffered head trauma and other injuries. The 25-year-old had been listed in critical but stable condition all last week. On Friday, April 9, he was transferred from Grady to the intensive-care unit at Shepherd Center in Atlanta.

Dennis Weathersby, CB-CIN

The salary-cap purge of CBs Artrell Hawkins and Jeff Burris is a vote of confidence for CB Dennis Weathersby, whose size and speed will make him a factor on the left side. The team wants to sign a free agent so Weathersby can ease his way into the lineup as a nickel back before he becomes a starter. TSN
Bengals | Weathersby Involved In Auto Accident, Admitted To Hospital - from www.KFFL.comTue, 13 Apr 2004 09:28:07 -0700

The Cincinnati Bengals have announced Bengals CB Dennis Weathersby was admitted Monday, April 12, to University Hospital after being involved in an auto accident Monday evening. The Bengals have been informed that there was no evidence of drugs or alcohol involved in the accident and no other persons were involved. As of the morning of Tuesday, April 13, Weathersby was still being evaluated, and a hospital report on his condition was not available.

Colts | Three in Line for Starting LB Spot - from www.KFFL.comTue, 13 Apr 2004 19:32:54 -0700John Oehser, of Colts.com, reports three Indianapolis Colts, LBs Gary Brackett, Cato June and Keyon Whiteside are being considered to fill the team's current void at strong-side linebacker. "I think, from what we've seen in practices, that one of those three guys – whether it's Gary, Cato or Keyon – should be able to step in and do it," head coach Tony Dungy said.

Chris Hovan: source- sporting news"... the vikings are encouraging DT chris hovan to change the way he trains. coach mike tice believes hovan was too muscular last season(edit- he played like it), & it cost him some of his lateral quickness, explosion & change-of-direction ability. hovan weighed about 305 lb's in 2003. the vikings would like to see him no heavier than 297 this year?" i heard one nfl lineman once, & i reluctantly even mention this unattributed source since i can't remember who said it & therefore cite the reference quote(except it is powerful stuff :^), state that hovan had the quickest first step of any lineman in the league, INCLUDING DEFENSIVE ENDS! if so, that is pretty freakin amazing to be that explosive, & have that kind of burst, acceleration & suddenness for such a large & powerful athlete(his arms/biceps look like suspension bridge cables, only bigger :^). with stud second year DT/DE swing lineman kevin williams having put his rookie year behind him, & ready to terrorize QB's once again, if min somehow managed to land another stud DL in the draft(unless they move up, i just don't see elite ends udeze or will smith falling to them), hovan could be a sleeper, & that rare playmaking DT who can get half a dozen+ sacks from the interior.booger mcfarland falls into this category of playmaking, sack generating DT sleeper potential, for different reason... he slots into sapps old position in TB scheme.

Colts | Dungy Confident In Jefferson - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:41:13 -0700

John Oehser, of Colts.com, reports Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy believes third-year CB Joseph Jefferson (pelvis) has the potential to make a significant impact in the team's secondary this season. "We think Joseph Jefferson can be great if he bounces back," Dungy said. Jefferson suffered through a nagging pelvis injury that sidelined him during the 2003 season. "I think he can play real well for us," Dungy said. "He was on his way last year, and looking at some of the preseason games, there's a lot of reason to think that if he's healthy he will play well. He has anticipation and ball skills. I think he's going to be a turnover guy."
this guy could definitely be a sleeper if he's healthy. Personally, I think Nick Harper is probably a bit overrated and unlikely to put up great numbers again, which would leave open the possibility for someone like Jefferson to be very productive this year.

this was in a report from the Denver Post regarding Ian Gold's visit to New Orleans:which led me to see if anyone else had picked up on this, and all I came up with was this quote from Jim Haslett:For a team that wants to add speed on defense, Grant should get a long look in training camp, but grabbing Vilma or DJ Williams in round 1 is also a strong possibility. I'm guessing the positions won't be determined until after the draft anyway, but Derrick Rodgers is 32 years old so someone is going to have to take over that spot sometime soon.
Enter Courtney Watson.Haslett has said that his first thought was to play Watson at his natural MLB position. Watson has the size that Grant lacks and is not much of a drop-off speedwise, plus he has the requisite instincts to stuff the inside run.I would expect both Grant and Watson to start next year. One in the middle, one on the weak side. If I had to guess, it'd be Watson in the middle, Grant on the weak-side, and Derrick Rodgers on the bench.

I would expect both Grant and Watson to start next year. One in the middle, one on the weak side. If I had to guess, it'd be Watson in the middle, Grant on the weak-side, and Derrick Rodgers on the bench.
Wouldn't that be sweet :thumbup: By next year, do you mean 04 or 05?

Ronnie Heard, SF

S Ronnie Heard has played a lot as a backup, but his role could grow even more with the expected departure of starting FS Zack Bronson. Heard's coverage skills need work, but he once had three interceptions in a game in 2002. TSN

Another player to keep an eye in here is Dwaine Carpenter. A first year player in '03 (27 years old), he had nine solo tackles in the season finale.
49ers | Lewis Could Be Special Teams Guy - from www.KFFL.comMon, 26 Apr 2004 09:35:54 -0700

Matthew Barrows, of the Sacramento Bee, reports with San Francisco 49ers SS Dwaine Carpenter expected to step in at free safety if veteran S Zack Bronson is released this summer, rookie S Keith Lewis' best chance for playing time likely will be on special teams

May 4, 2004, 19:49

Seahawks - LB Bates Takes Shot Plugging Middle

Clare Farnsworth, Seattle Post-Intelligencer

During the team's minicamp that concluded Sunday and the passing camp that continues through tomorrow, Solomon Bates is the middle linebacker -- in part because former starter Randall Godfrey left in free agency, Orlando Huff remains sidelined following shoulder surgery, and the club hasn't found a veteran free agent worth signing.

---------------------------------------------------------

As an IDP guy who thinks that the SEA MLB position could be a goldmine, especially if filled by a rookie or young unknown guy (my favorite--S. Bates becuase i'd be able to nab him from my league's WW). We'll see. However, they'll probably give heavy consideration to a FA MLB after the June 1st cuts.

During the team's minicamp that concluded Sunday and the passing camp that continues through tomorrow, Solomon Bates is the middle linebacker -- in part because former starter Randall Godfrey left in free agency, Orlando Huff remains sidelined following shoulder surgery, and the club hasn't found a veteran free agent worth signing.

As an IDP guy who thinks that the SEA MLB position could be a goldmine, especially if filled by a rookie or young unknown guy (my favorite--S. Bates becuase i'd be able to nab him from my league's WW). We'll see. However, they'll probably give heavy consideration to a FA MLB after the June 1st cuts.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming once Huff recovers from shoulder surgery he'll be the starter at MLB not Bates. I don't know much about this situation though, I'm just assuming that Huff will be the starter from ourlads listing him there. The question that I want answered before jumping on Bates, is how long will Huff be out while recovering from his injury.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming once Huff recovers from shoulder surgery he'll be the starter at MLB not Bates. I don't know much about this situation though, I'm just assuming that Huff will be the starter from ourlads listing him there. The question that I want answered before jumping on Bates, is how long will Huff be out while recovering from his injury.
Huff has been on my radar the past two seasons, but has been a let down in both seasons - because the Seahawks either bought in someone else to do the job or he was injured. Seems to me that the Seahawks dont have a lot of faith in him to do the job and I believe they will use him as the backup to either Bates or a post June cuts signee.

Users who are viewing this thread