What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders Offseaon Thread (1 Viewer)

Atomic Punk

Footballguy
Not a lot being said about the Raiders this off-season other than the (re)hiring of Art Shell. I'm not too excited about that move, but the Raiders may be able to redeem themselves this year? Well here's hoping!

QB - Collins will either have to re-negotiate or get cut. I think he wants to stick around and unfortunately the Raiders may give him another shot. Tui and Walters will also be around for another season.

RB - Jordan looked awesome and will only get better if the o-line improves on last years play. Depth is a concern. Fargas hasn't shown much and Crockett has to be near the end.

TE - Not much to speak of here, but considering the depth at TE the Raiders may be able to nab a top talent with their second or third round picks.

WR - Moss, Porter, Curry amd Gabriel make this a low priority heading into 2006.

OT - Gallery hasn't lived up to expectations. Sims is solid but nothing special. Depth and someone to push for starts wouldn't hurt.

OG - Some beef in the middle would really help the interior running game. Stone and Badger have both seen better days.

C - Grove and Treu are solid.

DT - Sapp should be back, as will big Ted Washington. Tommy Kelly is an excellent #3 and will start often. With both of the big fellas getting big and fat, expect some new blood.

DE - Biggest weakness and has been for quite a while. Burgess needs help putting pressure on the QB, but a more complete DE that can also stuff the run is their most pressing need.

LB - Morrison is a stud. Other than Danny Clark, there isn't a lot to speak of with this group. Another big need area.

S - Gibson and Cooper are both FAs. Schweigert looks like he has some potential, but he will need help if Gibson isn't re-signed.

CB - Woodson is as good as gone but the young 2005 draft picks- Washington and Routt - look pretty good along side Asomugha. A need but not as bad as most think.

Likely Scenario - The Raiders will most likely take either DE M. Williams or LB A.J. Hawk and they can't go wrong with either. Both would be able to make a significant impact almost immediately and address an area of need.

Dreaming - I'd like to see them try and trade up and get Leinart. If Collins is cut :clap: the Raiders have the ammo (# 6 or 7) to possibly move up in the first round. This would probably require their third round pick as well as their 2007 #1 and #3. Highly unlikely, as it isn't Davis' style but I think it would be great for the long term.

Thoughts?

They want to move Sims to left guard and Gallery to left tackle. They think those are more natural positions for both players. In order to do that they first need to find a right tackle.

I am praying that the Raiders don't draft another TE on the first day this year. Courtney Anderson is good enough to be their pass catching TE, and if anything maybe draft a 2nd day TE to as blocking TE.

They Teyo Johnson and Doug Jolley experiments were enough for me already.

Do anything but drafting Williams at their current spot would be a mistake. They need to start drafing Def and never look back.

Big fan of moving Gallery to left tackle. I never understood how you draft a guy that high that is supposed to be one of the best left tackle prospects in the last 20 years and then change his position. Especially for Barry Simms who people have been running around and over since the super bowl.

That defense needs a complete overhaul. Their secondary is pretty pitiful, and their linebacking corps is atrocious.

The offense isn't missing a ton of pieces. It actually might not be a bad idea to go after a veteran like Brian Griese or Brad Johnson, guys who might not have all world arm strength but don't make the mental errors like Kerry Collins.

I agree they really need to shore up their defense and can't go wrong sitting at #6/7 with either Hawk or Williams likely available. I would just love for them to get a real centerpiece at QB so they don't have to keep bringing in retreads year after year after year after year ... you get the picture.

I don't think moving up to #1 is too likely. I'm all but certain that NO won't pass on Leinart, so #1 is where they would need to go to get a shot at Leinart.

If they move Gallery to LT and Sims to LG and draft a RT with their second or third, the o-line might actually see some improvement.

I want Hawk badly.
As a Packer fan, I have heard alot of other fans clamor for Hawk (I personally want DT Ngota out of Oregon), but historically LB's do not go early in the draft. I see Hawk lasting to the 10-15 range.

Good news here:

(From KFFL) Steve Corkran, of the Contra Costa Times, reports the Oakland Raiders exercised a clause in SS Derrick Gibson's contract that voids the remainder of Gibson's contract and makes him an unrestricted free agent. Gibson was scheduled to make $10 million this season; a figure the Raiders had no intention of honoring. Therefore, Gibson's only realistic shot of sticking with the Raiders for a sixth season was if he agreed to a restructured contract.

That will help the salary cap situation a bit. Gibson definitely is not worth that kind of money.

They are 30 million over the cap.

Gibson takes care of 10 for now.

If they reach a CBA they should get another 7m or so.

Collins is due to count 13m and will either restructure or be cut.

They'll need a QB. They cant be happy with Tuiasosopa. So they still need to make a couple more moves in order to have room just to sign a quarterback. Not to mention trying to find a right tackle or defensive players.

They'll need a QB. They cant be happy with Tuiasosopa. So they still need to make a couple more moves in order to have room just to sign a quarterback. Not to mention trying to find a right tackle or defensive players.
Ah, it doesn't worry me. Teams in the NFL are consistantly over the cap, and every year the vast majority of them find a way to get under in time and sign the required players.According to a couple different articles, we should find out Collins' fate sometime during or after the combine. So that will clear up some money, either through a restructured contract or Collins' release from the team.

From what I have read, a lot of teams will be waiting to sign players this year, or make any moves in free agency until the new CBA is agreed to. As there will most likely be changes to how the cap works with signing and releasing players.

Only time will tell....

As for the QB position, the Raiders could even still draft one in the first round. I personally don't think that will happen, but you never know with Davis running the show.

So were they 30 MM over including a 10-12 MM allocation to Woodson? If so, then by removing Woodson, Gibson and Collins, won't they be slightly under?

I totally forgot about the 10+ mill from Woodson. Thank god they won't have to pay that bum this year again.

He once was a great corner, but injuries and the increased calling of pass interference, have realy hurt his ability to be effective. Sure WRs weren't catching everything thrown his way, but the yards still hurt the defence when pass interference is called.

Good thread for us Raidah fans.

I agree with the sentiment to draft defense and don't look back.

BTW, I liked the Art Shell re-hiring, but I do not like the Walsh hiring. This is not the early 90's. I am very nervous that this offense will suck better than a dyson for at least the first four regular season games. That is being optimistic.

Woodson played on a one year franchise contract last year. He's a free agent again so he has no affect on the 2006 cap. If you remember, he surprised the Raiders by signing the one year deal after Oakland considered taking it off the table in order to protect their 2005 cap.

If I'm the Raiders, this is how my draft board looks:

1) Matt Leinart

2) Vince Young

3) Reggie Bush

4) Haloti Ngata

5) Mario Williams

6) Michael Huff

7) AJ Hawk

That's just me though. Of those guys, I think there's a good chance Young is there.

I'm sure Davis and myself don't share the same top 7 though. Do you think they bite on Young if he's there?

More importantly, how do they view Andrew Walter? Do they think enough of him to pass on Young or Cutler, should either or both be available?

Let's say here's the top 6:

1) Bush

2) Lenart

3) Ferguson

4) Cutler

5) White

6) Davis

Now they've got the best defensive players on the board. Blue chipper at SS, WLB, RDE, NT, UT...... Huff, Hawk, Williams, Ngata, Bunkley...

Personally, I think it's down to Huff, Williams and Hawk.

Depending on how they view Walter's potential.... maybe Young as well.

If I'm the Raiders, this is how my draft board looks:

1) Matt Leinart

2) Vince Young

3) Reggie Bush

4) Haloti Ngata

5) Mario Williams

6) Michael Huff

7) AJ Hawk

That's just me though. Of those guys, I think there's a good chance Young is there.

I'm sure Davis and myself don't share the same top 7 though. Do you think they bite on Young if he's there?

More importantly, how do they view Andrew Walter? Do they think enough of him to pass on Young or Cutler, should either or both be available?

Let's say here's the top 6:

1) Bush

2) Lenart

3) Ferguson

4) Cutler

5) White

6) Davis

Now they've got the best defensive players on the board. Blue chipper at SS, WLB, RDE, NT, UT...... Huff, Hawk, Williams, Ngata, Bunkley...

Personally, I think it's down to Huff, Williams and Hawk.

Depending on how they view Walter's potential.... maybe Young as well.
:goodposting:

At this point, I will be happy with Mario Williams or A.J. Hawk.
My feelings exactly.
Is there any team more unpredictable than the Raiders on draft day? (The only team to draft a kicker and a punter in the first round, SeaBass '00, Ray Guy '73) I think Al Davis is gonna come out of left field and take a guy like Michael Huff. With Woodson good as gone they have a very inexperienced secondary, and is the major weak spot on the Raiders' defense.

My feelings exactly.
Is there any team more unpredictable than the Raiders on draft day? (The only team to draft a kicker and a punter in the first round, SeaBass '00, Ray Guy '73) I think Al Davis is gonna come out of left field and take a guy like Michael Huff. With Woodson good as gone they have a very inexperienced secondary, and is the major weak spot on the Raiders' defense.
They have been drafting cb's pretty high for the last few years it seems. Asomugha, Routt, and Washington are all pretty young.

My feelings exactly.
They have been drafting cb's pretty high for the last few years it seems. Asomugha, Routt, and Washington are all pretty young.
It seems like they've really reached on all those guys too. Asomugha is definitely not a 1st round talent. Routt and Washington were not expected to go as early as they did either.

My feelings exactly.
I agree I don't see them taking another CB. They have to give the young guys a chance to improve. I keep wondering if they're going to take Vince Young or Jay Cutler.

I am praying that the Raiders don't draft another TE on the first day this year. Courtney Anderson is good enough to be their pass catching TE, and if anything maybe draft a 2nd day TE to as blocking TE.

Don't forget Ricky Dudley. :(

Don't forget Ricky Dudley. :(
You mean Hands of Stone?Gawd, between him and Larry Brown there is a couple of years where it was really tough being a Raider fan. Just hearing Mike White's name makes me :X . Can't believe I even typed it.

Leinhart would be so sweet, but only if Hawk isn't there. I think Oakland's offense can be solid this year if Moss and Porter can stay healthy. I am comfortable with Brooks running the show, at least for this year.

It's the defense I am worried about. That being said, if we can get Hawk, I would take him over Leinhart. I just don't think he is going to get past GB.

Leinhart would be so sweet, but only if Hawk isn't there. I think Oakland's offense can be solid this year if Moss and Porter can stay healthy. I am comfortable with Brooks running the show, at least for this year.

It's the defense I am worried about. That being said, if we can get Hawk, I would take him over Leinhart. I just don't think he is going to get past GB.
I see no way we get Hawk without trading up, especially if G.B. stays at 5.

Well, looks like we came out of this draft with two instant defensive starters in Huff & Howard. Good to see them addressing that side of the ball. Can't win 'till we stop someone.

:shrug:

The Raiders' second mini-camp of the offseason, which began Friday, was the first public sign of Oakland's new direction since Art Shell was rehired as the head coach in February.The Raiders' first mini-camp was held in seclusion, without the intrusion of the media. This camp, a mandatory three-day affair, revealed much on its first day, including rookie arrivals, position changes and a quarterback competition. Shell said Friday he's already preparing his team for success and talking in terms of championships."I said to them ... it doesn't matter what anyone thinks outside these walls. It's what we believe in. That's what counts," Shell said. "We believe we can win if you prepare. I keep saying it. If you visualize being successful, we can get it done."The day marked the debut of three Oakland draft picks -- Michael Huff, Thomas Howard and Darnell Bing. First-round choice Huff, a defensive back from Texas, worked with the first team on his first day and cemented his status as the team's great hope by assuming both the jersey number and locker of former star Charles Woodson.Huff said he got Woodson's permission to wear No. 24. Huff said lining up against Randy Moss for the first time was a heady moment."It was my first experience and he scored on me," Huff said. "But that's kind of part of the territory, so I've got to go out there and get better every day."Moss, meanwhile, caught his first passes from quarterback Aaron Brooks after missing the first camp with an excused absence."Being a quarterback and being on the same team and in the same offense as he is, it just brings a smile to your face, because he can make the weakest quarterback the best," Brooks said. "To have an opportunity to play with a receiver who's as talented as he is, you've just got to embrace it and try to do everything you can to get him the ball, but not try to overdo it."Brooks worked with the No. 1 offense in the morning practice, but finds himself in an open quarterback competition with backups Marcus Tuiasosopo and Andrew Walter, who took snaps in that order Friday."That's the way we are today," Shell said. "The last camp was different. It might be different next time."Shell said he would like the position settled before training camp."But if it's not, we'll go to camp and try and find that guy," Shell said.Shell is also shuffling the offensive line, moving Barry Sims to left guard as Robert Gallery moves to left tackle. Sims has been the Raiders' starter at left tackle since 1999, but is resigned to the change."It's learning a new position, even though they're side by side," Sims said. "There's a lot of different aspects to it, but things are going pretty good so far. It's a process that takes time."The adjustment to a new coaching staff has been easier."It feels good. It feels like we're on the right path, everybody's doing the right thing. Everybody's held accountable for our actions and what we do," Sims said. "The only way you'll be successful is to have that accountability and this coaching staff is different than the last couple where everybody gets held accountable and we are doing the right things. It takes me back a little bit to my first couple of years with Gruden. It's a lot like that. Everybody's in charge of what they're supposed to be doing. If they don't do it, then put someone else in there to do it."Sims said that was not always the case."The last few years, it seemed a little too loose, like we didn't really have the leadership that we have now," he said.Camp notes: Defensive tackle Warren Sapp, who missed the final month and a half of last season, said he's ready to play after months of rehabbing his surgically repaired rotator cuff. Sapp was in uniform Friday, but saw limited action. ... Still healing is wide receiver Ronald Curry, who will be inactive this weekend. ... Tyrone Poole, the former Patriots cornerback who signed as a free agent in March, was given an excused absence.

I think Jordan's turf toe was only a minor thing at the end of last season and he could have played had they been play off bound, but is he at 100% entering sprin training?

How is Jerry Porter's health and Moss's health as well?

Is Gabriel the team's 3rd?

I think Jordan's turf toe was only a minor thing at the end of last season and he could have played had they been play off bound, but is he at 100% entering sprin training?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone you asked about is fine.Curry will be the 3 if healthy, and (IMO) he'll push Lazy Jerry Porter (LJP) for the #2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone you asked about is fine.Curry will be the 3 if healthy, and (IMO) he'll push Lazy Jerry Porter (LJP) for the #2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was assuming Gabriel would be 3rd because I thought Curry would not be healthy enough. Is there a time table for Curry?

Any word on what Moss thinks of the signing of Brooks?

Keep me updated if they seem to be developing some chemistry. I think Moss is in store for a big year.

Users who are viewing this thread