What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (1 Viewer)

So, I originally signed up for a marathon for November 10. I'm not running that because I haven't run longer than 13.1 miles since I ran the Boston Marathon. They are also having a half marathon the same day that starts at the same time. Both races sold out within a day of registration opening. I emailed them to see if they'd let me switch to the half.

Guess their response. Did they...

A. Refuse the request

B. Grant the request and give me money back for the difference between the cost of the full and the cost of the half

C. Grant the request with no partial refund

D. Grant the request but charge me more money
D
:yes:
:bowtie:

So, I originally signed up for a marathon for November 10. I'm not running that because I haven't run longer than 13.1 miles since I ran the Boston Marathon. They are also having a half marathon the same day that starts at the same time. Both races sold out within a day of registration opening. I emailed them to see if they'd let me switch to the half.

Guess their response. Did they...

A. Refuse the request

B. Grant the request and give me money back for the difference between the cost of the full and the cost of the half

C. Grant the request with no partial refund

D. Grant the request but charge me more money
Is the route pretty much the same?

If it's like Nashville, E you wear the marathon number and look like you gave up by doing the half.
The first 10 miles or so are run together before splitting off. Online they haven't assigned bib #s so I'm hoping to have a normal half marathon # and bib.

:lmao: screw you guys THEY AREN'T EVEN THAT LONG!!!
I will never be showing a pic of myself in here now. I wear shorts even longer than that sometimes.
The first step to recovery is admitting it. Don't be that guy in shorts below your knees wearing a race shirt from the race you're running. :ptts:

I once ran races in basketball shorts...then graduated to soccer shorts. Now I wear REAL running shorts and it's made all the difference. You're runners now, fellas. Time to start looking the part. :welcome:

Looking for a pair of winter running gloves. What I have now is OK down to the upper 20s but I'd like a pair that will keep my hands warms a little below 20. Anyone have a link to a nice pair that works for you? I'll pay for quality and warmth.

It is about time to set some wardrobe rules for racing around here. I'll get us started:

1. If you wear a neon singlet, you better be real fast. No one looks good finishing mid-pack wearing that crap.

Welp, didn't think my first snow run of the year would happen in October. Not quite a foot, yet, but it's getting close.

This is nuts.

Looking for a pair of winter running gloves. What I have now is OK down to the upper 20s but I'd like a pair that will keep my hands warms a little below 20. Anyone have a link to a nice pair that works for you? I'll pay for quality and warmth.
When needed (mostly when I lived in Michigan, Kansas, and Virginia), I've used convertible mittens like: http://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Mountain-Sports-Convertible-Mittens/dp/B00FX3X3KI/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1382622900&sr=1-9&keywords=convertible+mittens

Work fairly well and if needed, wear thin gloves underneath.

Welp, didn't think my first snow run of the year would happen in October. Not quite a foot, yet, but it's getting close.

This is nuts.
Don't know how you guys up north do it. I HATE the treadmill but I don't often have to make a decision between it and ice/snow.

I second the recommendation for mittens. They are infinitely than any gloves. Don't get the kind that have gloves on the inside -- the whole idea is to let your fingers warm each other up. I frequently run in sub-zero temps with just fleece or ragg mittens and my main problem with them is my hands getting sweaty. They're that warm.

It is about time to set some wardrobe rules for racing around here. I'll get us started:

1. If you wear a neon singlet, you better be real fast. No one looks good finishing mid-pack wearing that crap.
2. Never wear a shirt from a race you didn't actually run. I know a guy who borrowed another guy's 50k finishers shirt to run a half in so he would look like an ultra guy.

Nice speed sessions yesterday Ned and Hang10. Hey Ned, you thinking sub-3:10 after that session?

The_Man- Nice run by your son, I didn't realize you guys were so close to Baltimore. I think all the public school county meets are pretty much over, so I am guessing he's in one of the private school leagues? By the way, sorry if I missed it, but how did the little man's HM debut go?

2. No cotton.

3. No basketball shorts (already covered)

4. No ball caps. If you need to cover your head, use a bandana or a running cap.

5. If you are running a 5K and it is 40 degrees at the start, you do not need you winter tights, gloves, fleece top, and ear covers. Shorts and a t-shirt (maybe long sleeves) will be fine.

i like where this winter running convo is going. All I have are the UA Coldgear tights and shirt. What do you guys recommend? Maybe some sort of vest or something? Do you guys wear balaclavas?

2. No cotton.

4. No ball caps. If you need to cover your head, use a bandana or a running cap.

5. If you are running a 5K and it is 40 degrees at the start, you do not need you winter tights, gloves, fleece top, and ear covers. Shorts and a t-shirt (maybe long sleeves) will be fine.
How about headbands? I wore one of those for my first ever 5k at Wrigley Field and I looked awesome.

i like where this winter running convo is going. All I have are the UA Coldgear tights and shirt. What do you guys recommend? Maybe some sort of vest or something? Do you guys wear balaclavas?
If I am going to run outdoors and it is super-cold (below zero), my wardrobe is usually as follows:

Torso: compression shirt, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece top or sweatshirt. Note the multiple layers.

Below: running briefs, tights, running pants. Again, multiple layers.

Feet: I can get by with just one pair of heavy-ish calf socks. If your feet tend to get cold, try a very thin sock under a regular sock.

Hands: Mittens.

Head: I have a fleece bag-type thing that I love. I can pull it up over my nose and mouth or pull it down if I need to cool off slightly. The drawback to covering your nose/mouth is that whatever you're wearing will freeze after a few miles. The advantage is that at least you don't get frostbite.

I wouldn't bother with a balaclava or anything similar until you get into single digits, but that's just me. Wind makes a huge difference when it's cold, also. That's worth keeping in mind. -10 but completely still is runnable. +15 with 25 mph winds is not, at least not for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

2. No cotton.

How about headbands? I wore one of those for my first ever 5k at Wrigley Field and I looked awesome.
Only OK if the color matches the stripes on your extra long tube socks.

Sorry that I've been kinda absent from the board lately. My running (and workouts in general) has been spotty at best. Dealing with a hip flexor issue, plus I've doing a fair amount of travel for work. Excuses, excuses...I know.

So what's this I hear about Annyong's small Asian penis?

Anyway...some good news...I found out yesterday that I will be getting a bib for Boston through the John Hancock VIP Program, so my streak will continue! I'm sick and tired of running ####ty races, so I'm gonna go back to my roots and do Pfitz 18/70 starting in mid-December (assuming I'm healthy).

I'm still signed up to do the 8-hour timed trail race on the 9th, but that will all depend on my hip flexor. I think I've already spent about $250 on massages this month, not to mention my portion of the PT bills. Ugh.

Sorry that I've been kinda absent from the board lately. My running (and workouts in general) has been spotty at best. Dealing with a hip flexor issue, plus I've doing a fair amount of travel for work. Excuses, excuses...I know.

So what's this I hear about Annyong's small Asian penis?

Anyway...some good news...I found out yesterday that I will be getting a bib for Boston through the John Hancock VIP Program, so my streak will continue! I'm sick and tired of running ####ty races, so I'm gonna go back to my roots and do Pfitz 18/70 starting in mid-December (assuming I'm healthy).

I'm still signed up to do the 8-hour timed trail race on the 9th, but that will all depend on my hip flexor. I think I've already spent about $250 on massages this month, not to mention my portion of the PT bills. Ugh.
I know you know this already, but be sure you're healed up before you start another marathon cycle. Mid-December < 2 months away, which means it'll be here before you know it.

And all bull####ting aside, when I first started running, I wore basketball shorts, too. I remember going to an organized training run for the Green Bay Marathon and having a girl say to me, "Why are you running in those? You do know they make shorts for running, right?"

This is nuts.
Don't know how you guys up north do it. I HATE the treadmill but I don't often have to make a decision between it and ice/snow.
You adapt, or get fat.

I think all this ice/snow running has actually helped me. You have to pay careful attention to form, especially as you fatigue. if you don't you're going to fall. It carries over into good weather training, body just instinctively runs more fluid.

And all bull####ting aside, when I first started running, I wore basketball shorts, too. I remember going to an organized training run for the Green Bay Marathon and having a girl say to me, "Why are you running in those? You do know they make shorts for running, right?"
See, I know they exist, but don't think I'm good enough for official runner gear.

See, I know they exist, but don't think I'm good enough for official runner gear.
I don't wear the shorty shorts. I wear these almost exclusively. It's a 7" inseam.

Make sure your extremities are covered - winter hat, gloves, and an extra pair of socks. Usually just stick to the UA coldgear + shorts over the tights otherwise. If it gets real cold (wind chill < 0) I'll throw on a sweatshirt. If it's real cold and windy I'll get the UA facemask too.

Racing in the cold though...that's all variable.

I don't wear the shorty shorts. I wear these almost exclusively. It's a 7" inseam.
Exactly my favorite too. :hifive:

Nike running shorts liners are tighter and ride up my ###. I hate them.

Nice speed sessions yesterday Ned and Hang10. Hey Ned, you thinking sub-3:10 after that session?
Ugh, god I wish.... I'd positively faint at the finish line if I saw a sub 3:10 on the clock! My long term goal is a BQ in 2014 or 2015 (<3:10). I just don't think my endurance is there this year for a 3:10. My 1:32 HM PR backs that up. I think best case is 3:20.

I'm a former sprinter (HS 200/400), so I've always been a better short distance runner. This thread turned me into a long distance guy in 2010. I've gone 4:42, 4:05, 3:31 in my 3 marathons so far. To even be talking about a 3:10 is a dream come true. I'm not sure how I'll handle it when I actually run one.

gruecd said:
I did too. of course, that was High School.

Yeah the shorts in those pics I sent are either 5 or 7 inch inseam. Not sure which. I don't wear the tiny shorts that ride up and show all of your legs. I didn't like those when I was 18 and 155 lbs, so I'm certainly not wearing those when I'm old and in my 170s.

BTW, I still wear longish mesh shorts sometimes on training runs. But the ones you wore looked REALLY long and that sheen material. Like the Fab5 shorts as someone else said.

Yeah the shorts in those pics I sent are either 5 or 7 inch inseam. Not sure which. I don't wear the tiny shorts that ride up and show all of your legs. I didn't like those when I was 18 and 155 lbs, so I'm certainly not wearing those when I'm old and in my 170s.

BTW, I still wear longish mesh shorts sometimes on training runs. But the ones you wore looked REALLY long and that sheen material. Like the Fab5 shorts as someone else said.
I was just thinking that Annyong bore a strong resemblance to Chris Webber. Now I see why.

SteveC702 said:

The_Man- Nice run by your son, I didn't realize you guys were so close to Baltimore. I think all the public school county meets are pretty much over, so I am guessing he's in one of the private school leagues? By the way, sorry if I missed it, but how did the little man's HM debut go?
Hi, Steve. I live in Towson, my son goes to one of the MIAA schools (private school league for you non-Baltimorons). Are you around here?

His HM was great, a 1:32:26. Beat a bunch of the varsity guys that beat him in the 5K -- like me, he's way more of an endurance athlete. These 3.1-mile sprints are over before we get warmed up! Big home race tomorrow, 5 schools. His team has such a home-course advantage, it's kind of funny - two times, the course climbs more than 100 feet in one-eighth of a mile. I hate that hill, running up it is like climbing an elevator shaft.

Ned has 3:20 in his sights, no doubt about it.

IvanKaramazov said:
Annyong said:
If I am going to run outdoors and it is super-cold (below zero), my wardrobe is usually as follows:

Torso: compression shirt, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece top or sweatshirt. Note the multiple layers.

Below: running briefs, tights, running pants. Again, multiple layers.

Feet: I can get by with just one pair of heavy-ish calf socks. If your feet tend to get cold, try a very thin sock under a regular sock.

Hands: Mittens.

Head: I have a fleece bag-type thing that I love. I can pull it up over my nose and mouth or pull it down if I need to cool off slightly. The drawback to covering your nose/mouth is that whatever you're wearing will freeze after a few miles. The advantage is that at least you don't get frostbite.

I wouldn't bother with a balaclava or anything similar until you get into single digits, but that's just me. Wind makes a huge difference when it's cold, also. That's worth keeping in mind. -10 but completely still is runnable. +15 with 25 mph winds is not, at least not for me.
IK presents it all very well. I like a compression shirt of some type (I use a sleeveless tri-top) to keep in warmth and a layer or two on that to keep out cold. I can adjust accordingly from 30 down to below-zero. A have a few different options for covering the head, including a balaclava. When I pull the balaclava over my mouth, though, my inhale/exhale tends to suck it in, which is irritating. Easier to wear it low, so the opening extends just below my mouth. I also agree that the winter winds are worse than the cold. A key: run into the wind in cold weather (or as I like to do - get dropped off and run home).

I have some wristbands from the Bourbon Chase that I wear in the cold as well. Those help a lot, given the blood flow through my skinny little wrists. Juxt, mittens are great - sometimes I'll pull my fingers inside my running gloves to get more warmth. But I also will, at times, wear some garden gloves over my thin running gloves.

I've not found a good solution for carrying fluids (and keeping them unfrozen) for long runs on the really cold days. Any tips?

SteveC702 said:

Hi, Steve. I live in Towson, my son goes to one of the MIAA schools (private school league for you non-Baltimorons). Are you around here?

His HM was great, a 1:32:26. Beat a bunch of the varsity guys that beat him in the 5K -- like me, he's way more of an endurance athlete. These 3.1-mile sprints are over before we get warmed up! Big home race tomorrow, 5 schools. His team has such a home-course advantage, it's kind of funny - two times, the course climbs more than 100 feet in one-eighth of a mile. I hate that hill, running up it is like climbing an elevator shaft.

Ned has 3:20 in his sights, no doubt about it.
Wow, that's quite a half and that's not an easy course either, he'll probably be able to run some pretty quick marathon times in a few years. I grew up in Maryland, ran for River Hill High in the late 1990s and Johns Hopkins in the early 2000s. I moved away about 7 years ago, but still follow my old HS to see how they're doing.

I've not found a good solution for carrying fluids (and keeping them unfrozen) for long runs on the really cold days. Any tips?
Honestly, not really. I just try to plan my route to run past gas stations, the YMCA, hospitals, etc. Basically anywhere I can get free water. :shrug:

2. No cotton.

Sorry man, I wear a white ball cap when the temps are above 30. Brim usually gets soaked through by 6 miles then it gets flipped around and I ####### ROCK it!

You ever get all amped up to race because it's been a while and then on race eve you get that anxiety thinking you're not ready?

My 10K is tomorrow and conditions look perfect. No excuses. Sub-40 or bust. :scared: :unsure:

You ever get all amped up to race because it's been a while and then on race eve you get that anxiety thinking you're not ready?

My 10K is tomorrow and conditions look perfect. No excuses. Sub-40 or bust. :scared: :unsure:
You got this, H10. I forget the saying my coach used to say. Something like all the ingredients are in the pan, you just have to bake the cake. You've done all the training and all indicators point to you busting 40 up. Just go do it!

Users who are viewing this thread