What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (3 Viewers)

Nice run, pigskin. Refresh my memory--what race are you training for??
Hotter'N Hell 100 (102 bike race) this Saturday; then the 50k Rocky Raccoon Trail Run (my first trail run and first ultra!) November 7th.
Got it. I hereby move that everyone in the 10K thread be required to include his race schedule in his signature. That way it gives more perspective to people's training, and it also helps keep people accountable to their goals. Can we get a vote?

wraith5 said:
1 mile warm-up/cool-down, then 3 x 1600 = 7:25, 7:23, 7:29 (on a 7:27 goal). 1 minute RI between 1 & 2, and 2 minute RI between 2 & 3 (just needed that extra minute this morning). The last repeat on my speedwork always seems impossible right before I start it - guess that means I'm pushing myself at about the right pace.
Did the same workout this morning, but took 90 seconds between mile repeats: 7:25, 7:04, 6:58 I coasted at the end of the 2nd repeat (7:04) because I knew I was WAY under my 7:27 goal pace and wanted to make sure I could push #3.

I am almost positive that this is the first time I've ever run a sub-7 mile. Let alone after 3 miles of effort!!

Confidence is continuing to build...
That is scorching. Nice job! Sounds like you could do sub 21:00 in a 5K if you wanted. That's kind of my long-term goal.
sub 21? Maybe at some point - that's awfully fast. I do think I can do better than my recent 23:50 5k time. HOWEVER, right now (in answer to gruecd's question) I have my eyes on the Tucson Marathon in December. Today was my official 16 week training kick-off (not a bad way to start!!). The FIRST program is very specific about paces (which I basically ignored today...) and based on that conversion (which uses your 5k time as a baseline), my target marathon time is sub-4. I've never come anywhere near that in 4 attempts. So what I care about most is building up my endurance to be able to do that (at this point if I did a 4:10 I'd be ecstatic). The speedwork is part of the equasion, but not my focus for now.

Got it. I hereby move that everyone in the 10K thread be required to include his race schedule in his signature. That way it gives more perspective to people's training, and it also helps keep people accountable to their goals. Can we get a vote?
Done, for better or worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
wraith5 said:
1 mile warm-up/cool-down, then 3 x 1600 = 7:25, 7:23, 7:29 (on a 7:27 goal). 1 minute RI between 1 & 2, and 2 minute RI between 2 & 3 (just needed that extra minute this morning). The last repeat on my speedwork always seems impossible right before I start it - guess that means I'm pushing myself at about the right pace.
Did the same workout this morning, but took 90 seconds between mile repeats: 7:25, 7:04, 6:58 I coasted at the end of the 2nd repeat (7:04) because I knew I was WAY under my 7:27 goal pace and wanted to make sure I could push #3.

I am almost positive that this is the first time I've ever run a sub-7 mile. Let alone after 3 miles of effort!!

NICE! Congrats. That's a time I'm sure I'll never see for a mile. Hell, I'm not sure I could run a sub-8:00 mile right now.

Hotter'N Hell 100 (102 bike race) this Saturday; then the 50k Rocky Raccoon Trail Run (my first trail run and first ultra!) November 7th.
IN! :mellow:

IN! :construction:
Done!

wraith5 said:

NICE! Congrats. That's a time I'm sure I'll never see for a mile. Hell, I'm not sure I could run a sub-8:00 mile right now.
I'd give up some of that time (for now) to be able to run as far as you can on those trails!! I'm the first one to say it's all relative, anyway. I'm just excited that I've followed up a couple of tough runs with really good ones.

Been a while since I posted on this thread:

Starting training next month for my first full Marathon: Disney January 2010.

Anyone have advice on a GPS watch for training? Leaning towards the Garmin 405 but it's a bit pricey.

Been a while since I posted on this thread:Starting training next month for my first full Marathon: Disney January 2010.Anyone have advice on a GPS watch for training? Leaning towards the Garmin 405 but it's a bit pricey.
Cheap = Forerunner 305Blingy = Forerunner 310XTJust for running I don't know if you need the XT (and I don't know why the 405 is high on your list). The XT has better battery power, is waterproof (so great for tris) - not really needed for marathon training. I'd think the 305 with HR monitor would be the ticket, IMO.

Been a while since I posted on this thread:Starting training next month for my first full Marathon: Disney January 2010.Anyone have advice on a GPS watch for training? Leaning towards the Garmin 405 but it's a bit pricey.
Cheap = Forerunner 305Blingy = Forerunner 310XTJust for running I don't know if you need the XT (and I don't know why the 405 is high on your list). The XT has better battery power, is waterproof (so great for tris) - not really needed for marathon training. I'd think the 305 with HR monitor would be the ticket, IMO.

Been a while since I posted on this thread:

Starting training next month for my first full Marathon: Disney January 2010.

Anyone have advice on a GPS watch for training? Leaning towards the Garmin 405 but it's a bit pricey.
Cheap = Forerunner 305Blingy = Forerunner 310XT

Just for running I don't know if you need the XT (and I don't know why the 405 is high on your list). The XT has better battery power, is waterproof (so great for tris) - not really needed for marathon training. I'd think the 305 with HR monitor would be the ticket, IMO.
I'm a BIG fan of my 305 w/ HR.

How big is the face on the 305? My wife will use this as well. The thing looks enormous in pictures.
Considering I started with the Garmin 201 it feels tiny to me (Mrs. Liquors still uses the 201 when I'm using the 305). You get used to the size very quickly. If you watch the video I posted above, you'll see that the 405 isn't all that much smaller; just much more stylish.edited to add:

the 305 dimensions are: 2.1 x 2.7 x .7; display 1.3 x .8

the 405 dimensions are: 1.9 x 2.78 x .65; display 1.06 diameter

How big is the face on the 305? My wife will use this as well. The thing looks enormous in pictures.
I use the 305 every single time I run or bike - it looks big but it's light and stays in place very well - never bothered me at all.
I use it for both as well, and have also used them in tri's (taking from the bike to the run). Last night Mrs. Liquors mentioned (to a friend of hers that was visiting) that she'd like to create a "Kid's Tri" for our neighborhood, and asked me if I knew how long the new circle loop was at our complex (road completed 3 days ago for a new phase in our development). I told her I didn't know, but left the room, put my jogging shoes on with the Garmin and ran it. Approx. 5 minutes later I came in the house and told it "it's .61 miles". She immediately said "you went and GarminedTM it didn't you?!"

I use my 705 for all sorts of thing. The data off it is fun, but it's of course not realistic for a running GPS.

I'll be shouting crap at pigskin from it all Saturday. Mostly HTFU. It has a way of promoting that.

I use my 705 for all sorts of thing. The data off it is fun, but it's of course not realistic for a running GPS. I'll be shouting crap at pigskin from it all Saturday. Mostly HTFU. It has a way of promoting that.
Culdeus will actually be able to tell me the angle that I need to pee in the porta-potty at mile 63 to minimize "lycra-splash" with his 705. It is sick how much information it gives. Regarding yelling HTFU = yell loud, as I'll most likely be pulling your ### around N. TX again, and it's difficult to hear the person behind you. :moneybag:

Ran a 5k last night to gauge my progress. Just over a month ago I ran my first baseline 5k and finished it in 30:30. Lots of room for improvement from that start. Last night I made it in 26:30. Very happy to have shaved 4 mins off in my first month. I think a lot of that had to do with being a very good runner for many years so I was able to get back into it faster than others starting completely from scratch. I have my first official 5k race on September 19th. I would love to get down to around the 24-25 min range by that point but I am well aware the time gets harder to shave off the lower you get. Any other posters in the Metro Detroit area, and if so any suggestions for good 5k races to enter?

Ran a 5k last night to gauge my progress. Just over a month ago I ran my first baseline 5k and finished it in 30:30. Lots of room for improvement from that start. Last night I made it in 26:30. Very happy to have shaved 4 mins off in my first month. I think a lot of that had to do with being a very good runner for many years so I was able to get back into it faster than others starting completely from scratch. I have my first official 5k race on September 19th. I would love to get down to around the 24-25 min range by that point but I am well aware the time gets harder to shave off the lower you get. Any other posters in the Metro Detroit area, and if so any suggestions for good 5k races to enter?
"2Young, white courtesy phone ...2Young ...white courtesy phone"

tri-man 47 said:
You are in luck, Hipster. Metro-Detroit has an AMAZING running community & races galore.The place to start looking is here. The Run Michigan site has grown by leaps & bounds over the past few years and there are very few events that do not make it up on the calendar.

There is VERY flat & VERY fast 5K & 10K in Grosse Pointe Farms on 9/19 (I think). I can't find the darn thing online, but have thre mailer at home. I'll be back home next week and will post the details for you. Depending on how a tri I am doing goes the week before, I'll either be running the 10K here or doing another tri up in Holly.

Running Fit puts on the best events, by far in our area. You can't go wrong with any of them and you'll find a very cool, almost cultish, group of runners that do their events.

If you are a Metro-Detroiter, you almost have to do The Turkey Trot. I just missed my goal of running a sub 50-munute 10K in a full Santa Suit last year (but did make the Detroit News for looking like a complete dork). Last year, they had to let about 1,000 runners "bandit" the event because they had so many last minute registrations and had over 10,000 runners.

While they are not 5Ks, there is an awesome 4-miler on Belle Isle on New Years Eve at 4pm and another the coinsides with the Cork Town St Patty's Day Parade, with full PARTY after.

Finally, you've gotta look in to dirt running. There are tons in our area and they are a blast! This one is relatively close to you and is a nice little Mom & Pop event. We had a great run out there last year.

Post here or PM me with questions, etc.

Hey, guys. Woke up yesterday morning with a super sore lower back and piriformis muscles. Probably the result of all the hill running this past weekend and being crammed in a van during the relay. Went and saw my PT guy for an adjustment, and then went for a massage last night. Took the day off from running, my first rest day since the 16th. Woke up sore as hell this morning, so I went to see my PT again. Decided that I wasn't gonna miss another day of running, so I went out and did my 11-miler anyway. It really loosened up nicely once I got going, and I managed to knock out the mileage at 7:36 average pace. (As an aside, I can definitely tell that my training is paying off, because runs in the 7:30-7:45 range are feeling pretty easy for me now.)

Feeling pretty sore again afterwards, but it really only hurts when I sit down and then again when I stand up. Once I get up and get it loosened up, it feels fine. My guy says that it'll probably feel better in a couple of days. I hope so.

I have not done anything in nine days now. I got real sick last Saturday and I am still feeling crappy. Sore throat,coughing blah blah blah.

I am hopeing to be back at it soon.

I have not done anything in nine days now. I got real sick last Saturday and I am still feeling crappy. Sore throat,coughing blah blah blah.

HTFUOh, ya, hope you better.
:popcorn: Sometimes I see those letters hovering about 6 feet in front of me.
No ####, I have a swim, bike and run cadence to H T F U, H T F U, ETC. Its given me a case of the stupids several time since gruecd introduced it here.

:popcorn: Sometimes I see those letters hovering about 6 feet in front of me.
No ####, I have a swim, bike and run cadence to H T F U, H T F U, ETC. Its given me a case of the stupids several time since gruecd introduced it here.
Glad I am not the only one.

:goodposting: Sometimes I see those letters hovering about 6 feet in front of me.
:hey:

:unsure: Sometimes I see those letters hovering about 6 feet in front of me.
You were asking for it. If it wasn't me some other wise ### would have delivered it.I did my HTFU today, though. Ran 5.65 miles today - well over my 10% increase per week rule. Course was shaded and fairly flat, so that helped. Way easier than the 10% grades I have in the neighborhood. Oh, and it is the local trail that all the Samford coeds use; holy moley I could have taken 10 drool worth shots. Anyway, kept it at a comfortable 8:45/mi. Could have been faster, but this was a long "get it done" run. Was pretty tired after, but went ahead and swam a mile after this. This was tough. My body complained a lot. Surprisingly I was churning out 1:20-1:25 100 yard intervals, but the effort was taxing, to say the least. My stroke work at making sure the last 1/3 of the arm pull is strong is paying off. Definitely getting faster.

After getting home I weighed in at 164.5(!!). That would make 45 lbs (or 22%) of my body weight gone since Dec. 31st. Too bad it is temporary (hoping 167 sticks).

I also did a HTFU last night. Me and Mrs. Liquors had a huge fight last night (all's not well in the household to say the least) and my adrenaline was flying. I knew I wasn't going to get any sleep, and in order to get my scheduled bike ride in this morning, it would have had to start at 5 pm. Knowing the odds of me being coherent enough to dodge two ton metal objects flying at me with sleep in my eyes, I decided to go out for a night run (started after 10:00). We are now out in the country, and the entire run (6.5 miles) had only one street light on it (quarter mile from the house) the rest was pitch black. In all it was pretty euphoric. I didn't wear my Garmin as the darkness would have made it difficult to check, and with how much adrenaline I had flowing, I didn't want to listen to my watch. I ran pretty hard and loved the lower humidity (though it was still 85 degrees). No sleep last night, and most likely little sleep tonight = I will be going into HHH with only 4 bike rides under my belt and little sleep :mellow:

Me and Mrs. Liquors had a huge fight last night (all's not well in the household to say the least)
Sorry to hear that, GB. But join the club....Great job on your HTFU, though. If you're gonna do that with any kinda of regularity, I'd suggest getting a headlamp. It's as much to be seen as it is to see.

Me and Mrs. Liquors had a huge fight last night (all's not well in the household to say the least)
Sorry to hear that, GB. But join the club....Great job on your HTFU, though. If you're gonna do that with any kinda of regularity, I'd suggest getting a headlamp. It's as much to be seen as it is to see.
I wore two flashing blinky lights and a reflective top. I'm pretty sure I could be seen from quite a distance. The tougher part was when running away from the moon, as it was really difficult to know where the road was. Good fun.

Sorry to hear about the probs at home as well, PS. Great idea about the headlamp - even with reflective material on clothes/shoes you can catch drivers by surprise when it's that dark.

I did NOT HTFU this morning - Cubs game last night + pouring rain this morning = Wraith staying in bed late. If I can't get my 6 miler in after work today I'll do it tomorrow morning.

Cubs game last night + pouring rain this morning = Wraith staying in bed late.
:thumbup: By the way, you had a fantasy draft on Monday night, right? How'd it go?
You can be the judge: PPR, all TDs 6; 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, K, Def, 15 roster spots. From the 10/12 spot: Fitz (WR1 taken)Moss (WR4 taken)Ronnie Brown (RB17 taken)McFadden (RB19 taken)Witten (TE3 taken, after Clark and Olsen (homer pick)) McNabb (QB9 taken)Hines Ward Cotchery Hightower Zach Miller (OAK)Fred Jackson (could/should have taken Garrard here)PHI Kevin Faulk Kaeding Jason Campbell

Well I did run in the pouring rain the past two mornings. Yesterday was 6 miles, with 3 Wraith-inspired mile repeats on the track (6:50, 6:43, 6:44). Today was 7 miles, with a 6 mile tempo run (7:48/mi pace). Really enjoyed being out in the rain ...kind of hypnotic. I love my tri-training, but it's really nice to be able to focus just on running for a couple of months here. liquors, if your wife needs a shoulder to lean on ...

Last nite results

10 mi ITT - 26.21 mph, 4th of 27. Currently 2nd in the season points series. 1st is wrapped up. 4th will likely pass me at the next event. 3rd would have to beat me by 2 spots to pass me.

10 mi TTT - 28.5 mph, 1st of 6 in category. Not as good as we'd hoped for. I made a blunder and detoured through the infield grass on my TT bike. The half lap it took us to reassemble probably cost us 15 seconds. We also lost formation on 3 other occasions. Although they were brief, it still added up. Still a good enought time to beat a couple of the pro-CAT1-3 teams.

Cubs game last night + pouring rain this morning = Wraith staying in bed late.
:banned: By the way, you had a fantasy draft on Monday night, right? How'd it go?
You can be the judge: PPR, all TDs 6; 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, K, Def, 15 roster spots. From the 10/12 spot: Fitz (WR1 taken)Moss (WR4 taken)Ronnie Brown (RB17 taken)McFadden (RB19 taken)Witten (TE3 taken, after Clark and Olsen (homer pick)) McNabb (QB9 taken)Hines Ward Cotchery Hightower Zach Miller (OAK)Fred Jackson (could/should have taken Garrard here)PHI Kevin Faulk Kaeding Jason Campbell
LOVE it. Well done! :banned:

Inspired by wraith's sub-7, I set out on my 3 mile run this a.m. with a goal of seeing how fast I could run a mile. Did my first mile at 8:40 to get warmed up, then went for it and did a 7:06. Felt surprisingly good after that and ran my last mile in 8:07. My next run is 4 miles on Saturday -- which I haven't done at better than an 8:19 pace yet. But I'm going to try to do it 32 minutes flat this time.I have found this week that running 4 days per week instead of 5 has made a big difference in my legs. Of course, now I'm feeling so good that next week I'm going to try to go back to 5 days -- guess that will be the test case as to what the right level is for me.

Inspired by wraith's sub-7, I set out on my 3 mile run this a.m. with a goal of seeing how fast I could run a mile. Did my first mile at 8:40 to get warmed up, then went for it and did a 7:06. Felt surprisingly good after that and ran my last mile in 8:07. My next run is 4 miles on Saturday -- which I haven't done at better than an 8:19 pace yet. But I'm going to try to do it 32 minutes flat this time.
I'm glad to see that you guys are making progress, but PLEASE don't get caught up in running fast all the time. You really should be saving the fast running for days when you're specifically looking to improve on speed, i.e. MP/LT/VO2Max runs. You should be running significantly slower for your recovery and GA runs. If you run fast all the time, then you won't have enough left in the tank for your "quality" workouts. Just my :lmao: .

Inspired by wraith's sub-7, I set out on my 3 mile run this a.m. with a goal of seeing how fast I could run a mile. Did my first mile at 8:40 to get warmed up, then went for it and did a 7:06. Felt surprisingly good after that and ran my last mile in 8:07. My next run is 4 miles on Saturday -- which I haven't done at better than an 8:19 pace yet. But I'm going to try to do it 32 minutes flat this time.I have found this week that running 4 days per week instead of 5 has made a big difference in my legs. Of course, now I'm feeling so good that next week I'm going to try to go back to 5 days -- guess that will be the test case as to what the right level is for me.
I did this about two weeks ago:Scheduled 4 mile "easy" day. I ran 1.5 miles to the track....ran a fast mile on the track...then an easy 1.5 miles back to the car. My one mile time came in at 6:09. I probably could have pushed a bit harder to get below 6:00.

I appreciate the fact that I not only seem to have inspired one or two people to crank out the speedwork, but everyone has been close or faster than me to keep me humble and focused.

win/win

You are in luck, Hipster. Metro-Detroit has an AMAZING running community & races galore.The place to start looking is here. The Run Michigan site has grown by leaps & bounds over the past few years and there are very few events that do not make it up on the calendar.

There is VERY flat & VERY fast 5K & 10K in Grosse Pointe Farms on 9/19 (I think). I can't find the darn thing online, but have thre mailer at home. I'll be back home next week and will post the details for you. Depending on how a tri I am doing goes the week before, I'll either be running the 10K here or doing another tri up in Holly.

Running Fit puts on the best events, by far in our area. You can't go wrong with any of them and you'll find a very cool, almost cultish, group of runners that do their events.

If you are a Metro-Detroiter, you almost have to do The Turkey Trot. I just missed my goal of running a sub 50-munute 10K in a full Santa Suit last year (but did make the Detroit News for looking like a complete dork). Last year, they had to let about 1,000 runners "bandit" the event because they had so many last minute registrations and had over 10,000 runners.

While they are not 5Ks, there is an awesome 4-miler on Belle Isle on New Years Eve at 4pm and another the coinsides with the Cork Town St Patty's Day Parade, with full PARTY after.

Finally, you've gotta look in to dirt running. There are tons in our area and they are a blast! This one is relatively close to you and is a nice little Mom & Pop event. We had a great run out there last year.

Post here or PM me with questions, etc.
Thanks for the info. As of right now the only race I have entered is the Kensington Challenge 5k at Kensington Park on 9/19, so I wouldn't be able to do the Grosse Point Farms race. Turkey Trot seems like a definite for me. The 4 miler on Belle Isle sounds like another good race. I am not strictly set on doing a 5k distance, just I have only recently got back into running and don't want to push too hard, too fast. I w ill be looking forward to hearing about some of these events from you.

gruecd said:
The_Man said:
Inspired by wraith's sub-7, I set out on my 3 mile run this a.m. with a goal of seeing how fast I could run a mile. Did my first mile at 8:40 to get warmed up, then went for it and did a 7:06. Felt surprisingly good after that and ran my last mile in 8:07. My next run is 4 miles on Saturday -- which I haven't done at better than an 8:19 pace yet. But I'm going to try to do it 32 minutes flat this time.
I'm glad to see that you guys are making progress, but PLEASE don't get caught up in running fast all the time. You really should be saving the fast running for days when you're specifically looking to improve on speed, i.e. MP/LT/VO2Max runs. You should be running significantly slower for your recovery and GA runs. If you run fast all the time, then you won't have enough left in the tank for your "quality" workouts. Just my :confused: .
I appreciate that. My tendency during a run is to think that if the workout isn't punishing me, then I'm not doing enough. Is it any wonder I hated cross country in high school? Have to remind myself not to do that now, so I will avoid getting beat up and worn out to the point that I quit again.Although since cutting down (at least temporarily) from 5 to 4 days a week, I am kind of trying to do a hyrbid of the speed and maintenance run during midweek. My maiden 5K race is three weeks from Saturday, so my schedule does call for a fast 4M run this weekend. But I promise to try to keep your guide advice in mind about not overdoing the speed work.

Users who are viewing this thread