What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (1 Viewer)

Is the Houston race you guys are talking about the one in January?
Yep, January 2012.By the way, while I think of it, a while back one of you guys posted a link to a worksheet of some sort to help with bike fittings. Anybody remember what that was???

Wow, my notebook is so out of date, and haven't had a chance to go back and read much more than the last 2 pages here. Anyone care to give me the Reader's Digest version of what's been going on around here? Any ultra or trail running talk in particular that I've missed?

I'm still chugging along out here. 8+ months since my ultra and achilles injury, and I'm still not completely over it. Added some plantar fascitiis to the mix several weeks back, just for good measure. But I think (knocking on everything even closely resembling wood) I may be turning a corner. PT, flexibility and strengthening (hammies, hip flexors, core, in particular) seem to be helping. Recently added to the mix the use of KT Tape, as I had someone bring it up to me in conversation and found a couple samples I picked up sometime last year. That stuff really seems to help, ran 12 miles on Saturday pretty much pain free in the achilles, which was a big improvement.

So running about 3 times/week, 4-7 miles each time during the week, and back up to 12 milers on the weekends now. Once I get up to 15, which should be in a couple weeks and assuming my injuries continue to improve, I'll look to sign up form my next ultra - I still have hope of running at least a 50K again this year, and an outside hope of a year-end 50 miler is still floating around in my head, but we'll see.

BTW, my hot, ultra-running, fellow-Duck physical therapist just ran her first 100K , the Miwok 100K a couple weeks ago, placed 3rd in her age group with a very competitive field. She even got to go to dinner the night before with Hal Koerner (winner of the last two WS100), Anton Krupicka (winner of Miwok and many other races) and a handful of other ultra big shots A different breed, these folks. Best story that came out of Miwok that she told me was her training partner was running with Jenn Shelton (the party girl from Born to Run, for those who've read it) for awhile, when all of a sudden Jenn says "I've gotta pee", and drops trou right there on the trail, runners going around her, not even bothering to go behind a nearby tree. You don't see that in road marathons too often!

Last update for me. Final practice went well - super short 1000 yd swim just to keep fresh before Sunday morning. Inside that 1000 I did:

100 in 1:12 in warmup (i.e. its gonna be a good practice)

200 in 2:32 in warmup - new PR

finally, a 500 in 6:36 - new PR by 19 seconds(!)

I had planned on doing a run, but shut her down after the swim. I will have a pitiful run week, but this is an A race for me, and I didn't want to screw up a good start to the weekend.

Game on. :shrug:

Is the Houston race you guys are talking about the one in January?
Yep, January 2012.By the way, while I think of it, a while back one of you guys posted a link to a worksheet of some sort to help with bike fittings. Anybody remember what that was???
competitivecyclist.comwrenchscience.comPersonally I found the wrench science one more useful.

Go Get'em Sunday Sand :lmao: There is a 5K swim debuting here in MI that swims through a chain of lakes (and, Tri-Man, ends at 1/2 Moon Beach where the Trail 1/2 ends). I have added it to the Bucket List plan.

Today is my 1st day off in a week. I did:

Saturday: Triple Brick of 46 Miles rode, 6+ miles ran

Sunday: 16+ mile rode

Monday: 2,750 yards swam

Tuesday: 5 miles ran

Wednesday: 2,750 yards swam

Thursday: 12 miles rode (at all out sprint speed)

Taking today and tomorrow off to gear up for a mock tri on Sunday. The MI folks over on BeginnerTriathlete have an event set up that looks like it may draw 30 to 40 people to do a simulated tri. I am GEEKED to get in open water. I'll be short on time to get back for a little league game, but should be able to get in a mile swim, 30 mile ride and hopefully a 5K before I have to split.

And now, a quick family athletic brag. My brother-in-law just got word yesterday that he will be inducted in to The Western Michigan University Athletic Hall of Fame this Fall (He is already in the Idaho Athletic Hall of Fame). While I was blown away and proud for him, I had to Google up just what this accomplishment means. WMU is a Division I College, founded in 1903. Their athletic hall of fame was started in 1973 and has less than 200 inductees. Of them, only 3 are gymnasts and there is only one other male in the entire hall. My bro-in-law will be the second.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to do the Fall 50 again, but it does come very soon after other big races for a few of you. Maybe better to wait until the gang is all fresher?
Or we could just do it for fun and focus more on the :D .
By the way, I'm serious about this. We can have up to 5 people, and if we register before June 30, it's only $65/person. Let's see....1. Me2. tri-man ??3. liquors ??4. wraith ??5. keggers ??
Doesn't work for me, but I am definitely interested by the idea of a FBG destination marathon in 2011. Vegas? Philly? Vermont?
The Fall 50 looks like a lot of fun. Besides Gru, I know another person that ran it....he had a blast. This year won't work for me as I have other plans already.

Doesn't work for me, but I am definitely interested by the idea of a FBG destination marathon in 2011. Vegas?
Huge plug from me for this race. My wife & I renewed our wedding vows at the run though wedding chapel in 2008 (which was really a sit and wait for the slow runners and get married with 50 people and about 100 running Elvi wedding chapel). I have run some biggies, but having Robin Leach count down the start and then running the strip in the dark with fireworks overhead is hard to beat. I like the idea of a FBG destination team race some day, but am partial to a trail/ultra type race. Maybe Dances With Dirt - Green Swamp in FLA

Doesn't work for me, but I am definitely interested by the idea of a FBG destination marathon in 2011. Vegas?
Huge plug from me for this race. My wife & I renewed our wedding vows at the run though wedding chapel in 2008 (which was really a sit and wait for the slow runners and get married with 50 people and about 100 running Elvi wedding chapel). I have run some biggies, but having Robin Leach count down the start and then running the strip in the dark with fireworks overhead is hard to beat. I like the idea of a FBG destination team race some day, but am partial to a trail/ultra type race. Maybe Dances With Dirt - Green Swamp in FLA
As long as we are plugging races, how about the 208 mile Blue Ridge Relay? Only need a dozen runners to compete. :thumbup:

As long as we are plugging races, how about the 208 mile Blue Ridge Relay? Only need a dozen runners to compete. :thumbup:
Just popping in real quick tonight, but here is another popular 200 mile group race Bourbon Chase that is supposed to be a lot of fun and a good run. I was going to do it this year, but I don't think it will work out since it is at the end of the week after the Indy marathon.

Just popping in real quick tonight, but here is another popular 200 mile group race Bourbon Chase that is supposed to be a lot of fun and a good run. I was going to do it this year, but I don't think it will work out since it is at the end of the week after the Indy marathon.
Ooohhhh, I REALLY like bourbon. This one jumps to the top of my list.

As long as we are plugging races, how about the 208 mile Blue Ridge Relay? Only need a dozen runners to compete. :X
2010 is sold out, but this sounds like it might be something to shoot for in 2011. I'm definitely interested.Hard but ultimately great run for me today. Set out to run 6 at my target race pace for the 10-miler of 7:30. Ended up doing it a 7:20 pace, mostly because I ran a couple of early miles too fast, and then made myself crank out 7:30s for the duration, no matter how tired I was. Got my heart rate up to 173 at one point, which is a new high for me. Looking forward to a long, slow run tomorrow.

Hope you guys find a relay that works for you. If you decide that you're open to Fall 50, let me know. Next fall I'll probably run Twin Cities in early October, and then I'll be running Houston in January, so there's no way I'll be travelling to a relay, too.

Anyway....wanted to baby my legs today, so I drove out and did an easy 8 miles on the local rail-trail. It's not technical at all, and it's dirt/crushed limestone, so it's much more forgiving than running on the roads. Gonna try to get back out there for another easy 6-8 miles tomorrow before it gets too hot. Should finish the week around 25-30 miles/week, which is right where I wanted to be post-marathon.

Daughtry show was good last night. He did a cover of Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell" that was pretty awesome.

Hope everybody's having a great day!!

As long as we are plugging races, how about the 208 mile Blue Ridge Relay? Only need a dozen runners to compete. :goodposting:
My Mom lives on a 35 acre horse farm in Lexington - if this ends up going anywhere, we'd have a great place to stay.

Went out this morning with the intention to do 7 miles at 7:50s. The 93% humidity had other plans for me (temp was only 61, but it didn't help as much as I thought it would).

Made it 6 miles at 7:51s, but the last 2.5 of it my average HR was 178. It wasn't fun. Did an 8:32 on the last mile for an overall 7:57 ave and called it a day (3 lbs lighter for my effort).

Good luck Sand!

2Y - have fun!

Did 9 hot, sweaty recovery miles this morning at 8:16 pace. 30 miles for the week. Lazy Sunday now in full effect.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

11-mile long run today at 8:55 pace. Picked it up a little at the end, did the last 2 at about 7:50. I don't know if there's anything to it, but I really like trying to run close to race pace for the last mile or two of my long runs -- I feel like I'm teaching myself what it will feel like to accomplish my goal time on tired legs.

Speaking of which, my legs are toast right now. Today put me at 101 miles for May, making this my first 100-mile calendar month ever! Targeting 130 for the month, so I'm not done yet, but I'm looking forward right now to a beer and a nap (did I mention my wife is out of town until tomorrow?) and a day off tomorrow to rest my legs.

Looking forward to some Race Reports.

In case anybody mighta thought Poppa disappeared on some long trail...

Been in a funk since failing to summit Rainier last Summer, but ran the DWD Hell 50k last Fall and the Huff50k in December - where I was the last runner they allowed to finish!

:cooooold:

:lmao:

If you remember - I'm old and slow and I don't care! I always carry my Camelbak an' my stick...

DWD Gnawbone 50k last weekend:

Missus and I left town after her work on Friday. A liiiiittle bit of a late start, but there were things to do for the both of us - I'd gone to Target, bought a regular kind of standup barbecue and a small round black iron patio table for home picnics, a new watch (I'd simply *lost* mine several weeks ago, and decided that I needed another to race with!). I went too, to the bread store - I tell you, I never had a peanut butter and jelly sammich so good as I did on Saturday, in halves, a couple hours apart on the trail!!! :lmao: - Walmart for watch battery and fix for Missus' watch, etc...and I wanted to cut the grass again before the weekend's rains!

We got our food ready - both 'dinner' and race food for me - (would be Subway for the Missus) icebox food for my daughter and away we went!

Down south via 231 to Bloomington and then left towards Nashville to the race start/finish line - Mike's Dance Barn - for packet pickup!

We passed our little on-line reserved motel not far from the starting point...and kinda gulped! Just a little old place amongst the trees...

The room was fine! Never saw a soul, room was open and clean, simple (what would one expect for 65 bucks!?) key on the desk, one chair...and so - a lawn chair pulled outta the trunk up to the desk too...and we had our Subway and homemade pre-race dinner table all laid out!

I've come to decide that the greatest curse for a travellin' man HAS to be the standard motel bed!! Sheesh!! Are you kidding me? 1/2 the time I think I'd be better off on the floor...'til I start thinking about what's been ON the floor, that is...

Bed sooooooo soft means we're huggin' the edges looking for even the slightest sense of 'firm'...

Oh well...it is what it is! Was gonna be up in 6 hours anyway!

And so we were!

Morning needs met - home coffee in my thermos even - we were off in the dark to race start, right around dawn, with plenty of time to spare!

I'm always a little nervous before these things, though I've done 'em many times! Saturday this manifested by me gettin' stuff and forgettin' stuff in the car a 1/2 dozen times - and locking it up and handing the Missus the keys each time...though we continued to stand right there in the grass next to it - me makin' sure that all my 'stuff' was just so!!

WONderful race course!! Very, very difficult!! The head guy, he changes the course every year, and this year's track was absolutely fun galore!!! Some of the hallmarks are the same from year to year (3 times now anyway for me...) - speaking primarily of the mud...and more mud...and the stream and creek and river crossings. This year incorporated mile after mile of *shiggy* - 'no trail' - our race course just haulin' off through the tangle of underbrush and stickers and deadfalls following pink surveyor ribbons, tied to whatever is handy, every10-20-30 yards! Up and down the ravines of Brown County, sometimes on/sometimes off trail! Sooooo fun! My legs look like a pair 'o bobtails were fightin' over who could have my Hawaiian red and yellow runnin' shorts! Did I mention the mud? Not a runner out there that wasn't caked and streaked with mud - wet and dried - all up an' down his or her legs! And some whose backsides were caked, as well - as balance gave way to gravity!

The woods, almost all leafy trees, as opposed to Pine, for example, held the most beautiful sounds all day long!! The birds singing accompaniment throughout my near 9 hours of lopin' along slowly...soon the wind began to rise, rustling through the treetop canopy...unbeknownst to me at the time - the lovely rustling of the leaves was a precursor of *more* to come! I ran/walked alone for most of the day...sharing the trail many a time for a few short moments of hello...and only a couple times with an 'extended' partnership of 15-20-30 minutes! Both are enjoyable to me...and each race is different! No near angel-like company for me Saturday on the trail, but pleasant nonetheless. I ran for most of the first 4 hours, slowly mind you, but continuously...and then I was worn out! I began to walk.....and as time went on, I began to wonder indeed of what the holy heck I was doing...why the heck do I do this to myself...I wanna go home...I was tired!! :lmao: I walked, and ever more slowly...dragging near the 'end' - for nearly 2 hours! Until I hit an aid station at my just after 6 hour mark...

That was at 22.3 miles - and it was 'manned' by an angel!! She offered me a 'refill' of my Camelbak, and spoke to me by name! (Aid stations 'kept track' of all runners by their numbers, so as to assist in finding somebody should the need arise! No kidding. It's happened any number of times, and easy to understand why!)

That station, and she, were heaven-sent just for me.

My Camelbak home concoction - gatorade, protein powder, vitamin C powder had gone warm with only the barest of refrigeration (my little lunchbox dumpster!) since we'd left home...yucky warm...and was providing only sustenance, no 'cooool drink on a hot day' pleasure! She added a double handful of ice, and a fill-up of cold water...and all of a sudden I was walkin' on air!! Refreshed, remotivated and re-energized!! I noted to self that if I hustled for the last 9 miles, I might could break 9 hours...and so kinda decided to do that!

So....whereas a mile or two back you couldn'ta hardly paid me to run another step ( I tried, believe me! 5 steps...quit. 3 steps...quit. 15 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute...quit!) now I was gold!! I ran for most of the final 3 hours. Running on all of the 'downs'...about 75% of the 'flats'...and walking as briskly as I might on the other, while in 'rest and recovery'...and on all of the 'ups'!

I was happy again...and purposeful...and thankful and grateful to my Lord too, for watching over me!

:)

It began to rain somewhere in here, softly at first so you could barely hear it above the other sounds in the forest...

And then I was certain it was raining...though quite surprised, as I didn't remember rain in the forecast.

You couldn't even feel it at first, it came down so softly...

It picked up though...and rather suddenly!

I felt badly for the wife! Out there volunteering at the finish line all day, hoping she had some cover...

In no time it was pouring! And thunder was booming - first rolling thunder far away...and then right overhead, though I don't recall seeing any lightning flashes.

Temperature dropped into 'It's kinda cold' territory! The forest made wet again...footing slick... Mud more muddy!

Pretty fun!!

And I was getting closer and closer with every step...

Soon I began to 'know' I would break 9 hours - (a mostly completely arbitrary cut-off, mind you! I had not broken 9 hours my first Ultra three years ago here, and had in fact barely broken ten, but I did last year and wanted to do again!) - thought even I might could break last year's time of 8:47. That prospect excited me - would 'hate' to miss it by only a few minutes, for example, and so I hustled along as best I could through the rain and cold. I was passing people now! They more miserable than I, and me not miserable at all!!

As I hit the last, and familiar down stretch though...down off the wicked slick and muddy winter ski slope and through the last 1/2 mile or so of known course relative to finish...I began to falter! I was so tired...worn out...

No no no no!! I was mad at myself for feeling so weak...

Sad...

I was gonna throw up...

Despite my best efforts, I wasn't gonna make my time...

I began to walk again...

Sheesh!!!!

Wake the heck up!!! Stop feeling sorry for yerself...MOVE!!!

I had to finish strong...and so pushed on through the sopping, waist-high grass to the back of the Dance Barn and around, and to the finish line band (undercover from the rain, of course!) onto the final 100 yards or so with a run - and breaking my last year's time by less than a minute!!

I was pretty happy!!

Thought I might cry, but didn't...

Missus hustled out into the rain (She had cover! :) ) to give me a kiss...and my blue-ribboned medal...

I was done!!!

Oh my - there's just nothing like the feeling of puttin' another one o' these things in my back pocket!!

I was cold, wet, muddy and famished....and happy as a clam!

I stood immobile, in the rain, behind the shelter cover - just eating (anything I could reach, but focus'd on the big, yummy muffins!!) and talking - needing to get some of that day out to willing ears...

Then my near-angel came!!

I was so happy to see her! I didn't know even whether she/they had come!! She looked fresh as a daisy to me...though she'd run 50k too...'cause she'd already changed clothes to wait for her husband!!

(She started 45 minutes before me at the 'early start' option for the 50-milers - to run together with her husband for his first 10 miles...)

I'd not seen her on the course, of course, and wondered...

We talked for awhile - Missus and she having already shared conversation when she finished.

She, as you might remember, was a verrrrry important gift to me - given on the trails of the Hell, Michigan race of last Fall. We spoke briefly of that - that life-changing gift - it was a wonderful re-meet!!

I simply had to move though, after not nearly enough time, and get changed out of my wet, cold and muddy stuff!

It was time to go...

We trudged through the rain to the car. Where'm I gonna change over?? Dangit all to heck - behind my car, in a small curtained off area in the space made by backing 2 vans together...was a gaggle o' wimmens changing over - directly in line o' sight with what would be my bare ###!!

HURRY UUUUP fer Chrissakes...stop talking, maybe? Or...just go away...please?!

Options limited, (nil!) I crawled resignedly into the front seat o' my driver's side Honda, sat down on a coupla big garbage bags, and looked in the mirror. MY LIPS WERE BLUE!!!

Scary!

Lips blue, face sort of an off-blue/purple...sheesh!!

Dang!!!

I wish now I might have been capable of gathering my thoughts sufficiently to simply change-over, get warm - bbq pig and assorted goodies were available at Mike's, undercover - and go back with Missus to the finish line and visit more with my near-angel as she waited for her husband...but I didn't have it in me.

I wanted to be home...

Poppa, GREAT read as always.

:help: :thumbup: Got to swim in open water today! While it was cool (probably about 62), the water was not all that bad. Saw some HUGE trout along the way (it was a catch & release pond). Got in a mile + in the water and had to stop once to adjust the wetsuit. I am glad I got this in before my Oly next week as I was off at the start of the swim. I got out too fast and my technique suffered, bad. The second lap of the pond was much better.

Out of the water and on to the bike for 27.2 miles at an average of 18.3 MPH. The average speed was actually higher, but we had to wait for park traffic at a couple of points. This is the park I am racing at next weekend and it was cool to pick up some course knowledge. I've raced there once before, but that was in a downpour and I remembered very little about the park.

Off the bike and on to the run. Unfortunately, I only had 20 minutes before I had to leave for a little league game, but I still got in a 2-miler @ 8:10s. Made the game with about 2 minutes to spare. The increase in temperature and humidity kicked my butt a bit today. Next week is expected to me warmer, so I will really have to focus on hydration.

The Bourbon Chase sounds very interesting (as does the Blue Ridge run) ...I'd love to run the countryside in either of those! I get a sense that the Bourbon Chase might work better. It's good for pmb; The_Man likes it (remind me where you're located); 2Young's pumped; Wraith could sell it as a trip back home. Sand, could you cross the mountains for it (bring BnB along)? Can we import some Texans? Does it fit gruecd's schedule for that fall? Others from the midwest? I'll drive any Chicago contingent. It'd be cool to plan this for fall, 2011!!!

---

Spent yesterday moving the in-laws to a new retirement home, then took the bike out midday today for another 4 hour workout. Between the move yesterday and the 80+ heat with humidity today, I was wiped for the last hour. But that's OK - I'll only need to hang strong for up to 3 hours in my race, coming up in four weeks!

---

Speaking of races - Sand :thumbup: !!

Okay this is probably a mistake but I'm going to do the Stony Creek Xtri

http://www.3disciplines.com/index.php?opti...9&Itemid=68

Here's what I'm bringing and I'm hoping you guys can let me know if I'm missing anything:

Aqua Lung Mens shorty Swim suit.

U/A shirt

Camelbak

Bike

Helmet

gloves

bike shoes

socks

running shorts (which I'll wear biking and running)

Shoes

Towel

Gel pack

This is my frist tri ever So and and all advice welcome. Especially regarding the transition area.

Okay this is probably a mistake but I'm going to do the Stony Creek Xtri

http://www.3disciplines.com/index.php?opti...9&Itemid=68

Here's what I'm bringing and I'm hoping you guys can let me know if I'm missing anything:

Aqua Lung Mens shorty Swim suit.

U/A shirt

Camelbak

Bike

Helmet

gloves

bike shoes

socks

running shorts (which I'll wear biking and running)

Shoes

Towel

Gel pack

This is my frist tri ever So and and all advice welcome. Especially regarding the transition area.
Saw your note, I'll be racing over at Island Lake next weekend on Saturday, doing the Olympic.Instead of a separate swim and bike/run shorts, I'd pick up a pair to tri-shorts instead. There really won't be a way to get out of your swim suit and in to the shorts anyway. If you were planning on wearing your suit under your shorts, you may end up regretting it. The tri-shorts are made to quick dry while out on the bike and support you on the run. Fraser Cycle would be your best option to find a pair this week (or call REI). I didn't see swim goggles, but you'll need them. You may want to pick up a race belt for your bib as you'll need it on for the bike and the run. If you don't get one, be sure to pin your bib to the shirt you'll wear for the bike & run.

First advice for transition is, get there early. 3D will have you assigned to a rack, but where you end up in that rack is 1st come, 1st severed. They typically set up tight transition areas, so it is best to be close to the end of the rack near the middle isle where you come out. If you can get and end, that is the best as you can set up and change to the outside, and won't have a bike to one side.

For T1, have an old water bottle filled with water to squirt off the sand off your feet. Just a towel won't cut it. Spray your feet and wipe them quick and then get the socks on. Practice your transition this week, it'll pay off. Are you wearing sunglasses on the bike? If so, figure out the beast way to get them on. I loosely put them in the front vents on my helmet. 3D always has water and HEED at transition. Are you sure you want to take the time to put on the Camelback? If you have a bottle cage, put some water in there just in case to save time. Have your bike shoes set up in front of your running shoes and have somewhere to fling your swim cap and goggles. I also have a second water bottle just in case I need a drink and forgot to get water on the way in.

For T2, this should be a VERY fast transition. If you have time, pick up some quick laces for your running shoes. It is a ##### to tie shoes at this point in a race. It is supposed be be quite warm and sunny next weekend. If you have a running hat, I'd have it ready to be worn on the run.

A for the race, 3D usually does and under 40 and over 40 male wave start. I'd lay back a bit in the swim and save yourself for your strongest leg on the bike. You know the trails, start thinking about where you can pass. There will likely be a female wave before you, so there will be some traffic on the course to work around.

If you have the time, go listen to Kenny's triathlon 101 at packet pick up or race day. He is a bit full of himself, but I think you'll benefit from the talk. He typically tailors it to the course, so you should get some good direction on course strategy.

Did I mention practicing transition? Seriously, you can gain a ton of time here and, you will be out of sorts from the swim. Thinking about it before hand will help you execute on race day. These are just some loose thoughts. If I think of more this week, I'll post them. Oh, just thought of another thing. The Infinite Multisport team trains out at Stony. The can be spotted in the yellow shirts and jerseys. They are great people and, if you have a question on race day, I'd seek out one of them if you need some quick advice.

Good Luck!!!

If you don't get one, be sure to pin your bib to the shirt you'll wear for the bike & run.
Remember to bring some pins! You could bring a pump for your tires, or just make sure to pump them up the night before or on that morning. As 2Young says, plan through your transition. Also, plan out your meals for the day or two before the race and the morning of.You'll see a lot of fancy gear in the transition area. Don't worry about - just do your thing and enjoy the event! It can be tricky to find your transition spot when you come in from the swim. It would help a lot to walk from the swim entrance to the transition area to your rack before the race ...count out the number of racks, or look for some distinguishing feature.

Rode my cross bike on the trail today, lots of climbing - high intensity, wasn't out there for more than about 90 minutes though. Even so, had to stop on multiple occasions because I was having trouble drawing breath. Going to use a HRM next time.

Today was the first ride with a new SRAM Force gruppo. Today was also the first time in a while that I've had a good wipeout. My new gruppo is no longer shiny and new. :shrug: Good news is I got away with a scratch on my left knee and some equipment damage - probably need a new saddle, and the wheels need attention, may have bent a rim. We'll see if I can make it go away on the truing stand or not.

If you don't get one, be sure to pin your bib to the shirt you'll wear for the bike & run.
Remember to bring some pins! You could bring a pump for your tires, or just make sure to pump them up the night before or on that morning. As 2Young says, plan through your transition. Also, plan out your meals for the day or two before the race and the morning of.You'll see a lot of fancy gear in the transition area. Don't worry about - just do your thing and enjoy the event! It can be tricky to find your transition spot when you come in from the swim. It would help a lot to walk from the swim entrance to the transition area to your rack before the race ...count out the number of racks, or look for some distinguishing feature.
Any suggestions about what to eat?

Any suggestions about what to eat?
Carb up on Thursday night. For Friday night, eat early. I'll be having grilled chicken, steamed spinach & and small side of pasta. Lotsa water Thursday & Friday. It is going to be a hot one this week.

Speaking of races - Sand :goodposting: !!
Sheesh - talk about impatient!Short Version: I crushed it. 1:28:21 for 3.27 miles. Won my AG out of 11 folks and finished 19/119 overall. Got beat by a 13 year old, a 64 year old, and 7 girls. Likely the best athletic performance I have put out in a decade or so, and I left a few minutes out there.

Long Version: Simple race. Start on the north side of Pensacola Bay and swim to the south side. 3.275 miles. The weather and water were quite nice. The water could have been a tad cooler, but the bay was pretty flat - so no complaints.

I kept the pace easy for the first half of the swim. I felt smooth and in control at the pace I set. After that I cranked it up a bit since I was feeling pretty good. I passed probably 10 people on the second half, so I paced well. I definitely negative split the swim. After 2 miles I cranked it up even further.

For the middle part of the race I was pretty much all alone. I did catch up with three swimmers with about 1k to go and left them behind - they finished about a minute back. A lot of folks complained about the current pushing them out away from the bridge. I never noticed a current. I guess I was so busy sighting and swimming I just never sensed it.

Felt pretty good all the way until the end when I started getting my all-too-common calf cramp issues. I gotta figure these out. I managed to hold them off until the very end. In fact, once I cleared the boat dock I sprinted the last 300ds or so in. As soon as I stood up my calves wanted to cramp. So I waddled the last few yards in.

Overall I am thrilled with this effort. I never found myself in any aerobic or muscular endurance type trouble. I probably could have done the 10k, honestly. The race sure didn't feel like an hour and a half. It felt more like about a half hour - the time passed really quickly.

Not only did I feel great, but posted a good time. I was really hoping for a 1:30 finish and managed to get it. On the other hand, of the 18 people that beat me, 7 were girls, and of the remaining guys one was 13 and another 64(!). Definitely some really strong swimmers out there.

As a comparison to previous swims the two sprint swims I did last year were at 1:40/100 for 600yds and 1:34/100 for 300yds. Massive improvement in 6 months. This was equivalent to a ~1:05 IM swim. 1 hour seems to be the gold standard - so not too far off of that (and most do it in a wetsuit, which is a huge time advantage).

Congratulations Sand!! Great race!

______

Yardwork day here - thought about jumping on the bike during the Blackhawks game, but after 5 hrs doing yardwork, including trimming trees and cutting the branches down to size, I decided I'd just call today a "rest day."

Good timing on my part, I make my return to FFA and this thread just in time to see another epic Poppa tale! Love that stuff!

Managed 14 miles on Saturday, had fun trying a different route than I've done before, and even a few new stretches I don't think I've ever been on, pulling out a map several times to see where to go next. I was in no hurry, just wanted to have a good day out on mostly single track and running around three lakes, and accomplished that. Achilles felt good, the plantar fascitiis hurt quite a bit the last few miles, but I still managed to find a little left at the finish to make the final mile the fastest of the day.

If I can get another good weekend in with a 15 miler, I'm thinking I return at my favorite trail race (and the first one I did), Angel Island on June 19th, probably the 25K.

Great races and workouts from all this weekend. Wish I could really say the same. Since last Thursday, my wife and I put in 50 man hours of painting in our house. We have an open floor plan and we painted the common area, including scaffolding and ladders. I was able to put in 6 on Saturday, but we stayed up late on Saturday to finish and I was beat yesterday. I skipped my 12 miler for yesterday and tried to relax/put the house back together.

I guess it was an investment to keep the wife happy so I can run and do all of the running and races that I do. Win/Win for everyone.

ETA: Also, about the Bourbon Chase, if there is a real interest in it, I can probably come up with a few people to fill in on the team if we need extra people. They don't open up registration until right after this years, but we would have to make a quick decision as it fills up very fast. It would be fun to meet everyone and I know there is a killer Bourbon party afterward.

ETA: Also, about the Bourbon Chase, if there is a real interest in it, I can probably come up with a few people to fill in on the team if we need extra people. They don't open up registration until right after this years, but we would have to make a quick decision as it fills up very fast. It would be fun to meet everyone and I know there is a killer Bourbon party afterward.
IN for 2011 (as best as I can tell this far out). Just had a thought, that part of the country is sort of Bryant Boat country, right? Sponsor??????

Hey, guys. Congrats on a great race, Sand. I can't imagine swimming that far or for that long. I'd drown for sure. Consider me impressed.

I've got a looooong day at work today with an evening meeting that probably won't get me home until 9 PM, so I got up and knocked out an easy 5-miler before work. At least it was supposed to be easy, but I forgot how much this heat and humidity kicks my butt! The 5-miler felt more like 25 towards the end, and my shorts were just soaked with sweat. Gross. Rest day tomorrow.

Regarding the Bourbon Chase, it sounds fun, but I'm probably out. Next fall I'm tentatively planning on running Twin Cities, which is typically held on the first Sunday in October, and then I'll be running Houston a few months later on January 15, 2012. Since I'm also running Boston next spring, it would be hard to justify another destination race. But if you guys do decide to do it, I'll definitely be there in spirit!

Hope you all have a great day!

IN for 2011 (as best as I can tell this far out). Just had a thought, that part of the country is sort of Bryant Boat country, right? Sponsor??????
I tried that when tri-man and I did the Fall 50 in 2008. No dice. :popcorn:

The Bourbon Chase sounds very interesting...
I'm in for 2011...or anywhere the group wants to go. Sand: GREAT race! You crushed it!

Poppa: You made my day! So great to hear your tales on the trails!! Your "angel" is awesome.

SFDuck: Great to have you back!!! Angel Island looks like a great race! FWIW: I ran my first (definitely not my last!) Ultra/trail run at the end of last year, and am 100% hooked. I'll likely run the same one again next year, and am on the lookout for another.

2Young: Great day getting in your very own tri!

My update:

Saturday night a large group of friends tailgated ALL day, saw Jimmy Buffett in the evening, then closed down our hotel's bar = GREAT time. Sunday we drove back home (3.5 hours), and I took our girls to the pool where I managed a few laps, and had 11 kids doing timed laps for a full hour. I guarantee they all slept well last night! At 8:15pm the temp was finally below 90 degrees, so I went out for a six miler. With the humidity lower, it actually didn't feel all that bad. I went slow and steady, as I'm just trying to get my body acclimated at this point, as my HIM training starts two weeks from today. My HR never got over 172 (low for me), and the run was on the hilliest route near my house = I'll take it!

Short Version: I crushed it. 1:28:21 for 3.27 miles. Won my AG out of 11 folks and finished 19/119 overall. Likely the best athletic performance I have put out in a decade or so, and I left a few minutes out there.
Just ...wow. :bow: ---

Bourbon Chase. pmb, The_Man, 2Young, Sand, Wraith, liquors, myself ...that's seven who have expressed interest, recognizing the limitations of locking in plans for fall, 2011. (Hope I didn't miss anyone else who commented.) For now, let's plan on it! Maybe we can get a few more from the thread, here (we have many lurkers - any of you guys in the general area?), or as pmb notes, we could draw some from the outside. But my understanding from a quick look is that we can do it with less than twelve. Back to our regularly scheduled race season ...

Short Version: I crushed it. 1:28:21 for 3.27 miles. Won my AG out of 11 folks and finished 19/119 overall. Likely the best athletic performance I have put out in a decade or so, and I left a few minutes out there.
Just ...wow. :thumbdown: ---

Bourbon Chase. pmb, The_Man, 2Young, Sand, Wraith, liquors, myself ...that's seven who have expressed interest, recognizing the limitations of locking in plans for fall, 2011. (Hope I didn't miss anyone else who commented.) For now, let's plan on it! Maybe we can get a few more from the thread, here (we have many lurkers - any of you guys in the general area?), or as pmb notes, we could draw some from the outside. But my understanding from a quick look is that we can do it with less than twelve. Back to our regularly scheduled race season ...
Crap, just read further it is Teams of 6 or 12.

Well done Sand. That's probably one of the most impressive feats in this thread.

Welcome back Poppa...or should i say Ultraman!

Been slacking on the bike here. Last tuesday's workout forced me to take 2 rest days. Ran 10 miles on friday @ 9 m/m pace, 4 on the trails on saturday, and 6 yesterday on the parkway. I hate trail running...I'm just an accident waiting to happen. Nearly face planted and re-aggravated my right hammy. 20 miles in 3 days is a record for me. Got out both days this weekend for a kayak seesion in preparation for next Saturday's race. Four events for me in the next 5 weeks.

Nice weekend of runs BnB!

For the Bourbon run: We'd be competing in two of the following three divisions: Open male, Masters Male (all over 40) and then gender/age handicapped. With Tri-Man in, we could be a shoe-in for the age-aided one!

Using last year's results; to podium in the Open Male, we'd have to run 7:45 pace; for Master's Male = 9:00 p/m. Let the training begin!

Just ...wow. :thumbup: ---

I have seen both on the site. I have a buddy who has a team this year that is running it and I may do it this year as well. I have not ruled it out yet, but highly unlikely as the Indy marathon is the weekend before. We do have some time to talk about it and discuss the details, but one thing that will be needed is another driver. My wife will be able to drive one vehicle, but another is needed. They suggest a 12 or 15 passenger van. That could be a logistic issue that I see. All else, the more I read about it, the more I would love to do it.

Just ...wow. :goodposting: ---

I have seen both on the site. I have a buddy who has a team this year that is running it and I may do it this year as well. I have not ruled it out yet, but highly unlikely as the Indy marathon is the weekend before. We do have some time to talk about it and discuss the details, but one thing that will be needed is another driver. My wife will be able to drive one vehicle, but another is needed. They suggest a 12 or 15 passenger van. That could be a logistic issue that I see. All else, the more I read about it, the more I would love to do it.
I'd probably drive to Lexington - only 400 miles for me.Thanks for all the kind words. I'm only slightly sore this morning. I definitely left a few minutes on the table. Still, that isn't a complaint at all - I am thrilled with my performance.

For now and evermore my I have my new towel for my pool swims. (No that isn't me - but I might as well throw a hot chick in there. Ok, she isn't that hot. Now, she is, but didn't get the good 1st place towel.).

Nice weekend of runs BnB! For the Bourbon run: We'd be competing in two of the following three divisions: Open male, Masters Male (all over 40) and then gender/age handicapped. With Tri-Man in, we could be a shoe-in for the age-aided one! Using last year's results; to podium in the Open Male, we'd have to run 7:45 pace; for Master's Male = 9:00 p/m. Let the training begin!
I'll be 43 on race day and am liking the shot at the Masters title, but fear there are too many youngsters amongst us! The age handicap could be huge though and not just with Pops.

tri-man 47 said:
I would be all over this except there's no way this works for me with classes during the fall -- I can't cancel a day or two of classes to get down to KY and back. GL though. ______________

Not much going on right now. Last week was a "recovery week" from the HM the weekend before, but today was my first week back on something like my normal schedule, with 6.5 at HMP. I think I'm going to to keep my long run at 13 for the next few weeks. That's a fairly straightforward distance, and a few more weeks at that level should make the transition into full-blown marathon training a little easier.

pigskinliquors said:
tri-man 47 said:
Sand said:
Just ...wow. :thumbup: ---

I'd want 12. I can do 17 miles. 33 miles would be a bit much for me.

Sand, amazing job!I would be in for trying to make this happen. I'm in Baltimore, so it would be fairly easy for me to get there. Definitely want 12 people, though. From the web site, it looks like it would be pretty easy to round up a few individuals who are looking for a team, if we can't find 12 here or rope in some other runner friends who aren't on this forum.

pigskinliquors said:
tri-man 47 said:
Sand said:
Just ...wow. :shrug: ---

Plus it's damn hilly down there. I'll be 40 in Oct of 2011, FWIW.

My Mom has a Tahoe or similar behemoth vehicle that we could use as well. And I'm 100% serious about bunking at her farm - if there are 12 of us it would obviously be a wee bit crowded, but I'm betting we could manage. And it would be free.

Went over to the pool at lunch. Was getting ready and around the corner walks Tri-man! He took a lane far away from me today, though - he said so I wouldn't splash him. Old people... what are you going to do?!?

Did 2200 yds, including an 800 in the middle in 15:57.

tri-man 47 said:
I'm interested. I'm no where near your guys level but maybe by 2011 I could hump out 20 miles.

My Mom has a Tahoe or similar behemoth vehicle that we could use as well. And I'm 100% serious about bunking at her farm - if there are 12 of us it would obviously be a wee bit crowded, but I'm betting we could manage. And it would be free.
Cool! You could just stick me in the horse barn. By the end of the weekend, and after the post-race party, Flicka and I will be realll comfortable.
Went over to the pool at lunch. Was getting ready and around the corner walks Tri-man! He took a lane far away from me today, though - he said so I wouldn't splash him. Old people... what are you going to do?!? Did 2200 yds, including an 800 in the middle in 15:57.
After four days of hanging around the locker room, my BFF Wraith finally showed up. Figured he didn't me hovering over his workout again, though, so I left him alone ..in the pool.Wraith - you've got that distance down, now, and at a solid minute/lap pace! Now just work to get more comfortable with it. Way to go!

tri-man 47 said:
I'm interested. I'm no where near your guys level but maybe by 2011 I could hump out 20 miles.
:P Updated initial list:

Bourbon Chase: pmb, The_Man, 2Young, Sand, Wraith, liquors, tri-man, Dexter

Users who are viewing this thread