What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rare Sight: US Factory Jobs Return (1 Viewer)

The General

Footballguy
Link

It‘s not a thread about Biden’s gaffes, FBI corruption, Trans Swimmers, or a certain someone doing whatever insane thing he does…it’s good news.

A confluence of factors have led to this modest success.

Everyone gets to take some credit, government post-Covid recovery policies, the resiliency of the US, capitalism, even our last Prez can take a bow.

Lets hope this continues.

Super interesting article. Thanks for posting.

I wonder if the trend will continue.
I think there is lots of room for optimism and the authors did a good job highlighting some of those.

Won’t be like things in the past as it is natural and normal for economies and industry to evolve but this is what has defined us - the ability to adapt.

I love the idea of building up American manufacturing and hope this trend continues.

I worry because the story highlights that these are newly created jobs and not jobs brought back from overseas by major corporations. In theory, the Fed has to kill off some of these jobs to get inflation down. We might be celebrating just a bit too early.

The article specifically mentions how well furniture makers are doing, but right now furniture stores are getting crushed with declining sales and are getting set for layoffs. The numbers are just lagging from when this data was compiled.
https://hashtagpaid.com/banknotes/f...e-in-sales-layoffs-since-height-of-covid-boom

All said this is a positive thing, but we're about to go through a couple years of a stagnant economy. I hope this trend makes it through, but I just don't know if it will.

Businesses are also beginning to question the wisdom of producing so many goods in China, amid rising tensions between Washington and Beijing over trade and technology. The Chinese government’s insistence on a zero-COVID policy, despite the severe disruptions it has caused for the economy, has especially shaken many executives’ confidence in their ability to operate in China. Biden has also maintained many tariffs on Chinese imports imposed by Trump.

“The pandemic response by China has definitely prompted more than a rethink on where to put new money. I think we are actually beginning to see action,” said Mary Lovely, a professor of economics at Syracuse University and a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics. How much of that investment came to the United States was unclear. “I don’t think anyone really knows,” Lovely said.

This is good news. We should be more responsible when it comes to manufacturing essential products in the U.S., like PPE for example. The fact that we were relying on China for essential products to fight a pandemic that originated in China was particularly frustrating.

Businesses are also beginning to question the wisdom of producing so many goods in China, amid rising tensions between Washington and Beijing over trade and technology. The Chinese government’s insistence on a zero-COVID policy, despite the severe disruptions it has caused for the economy, has especially shaken many executives’ confidence in their ability to operate in China. Biden has also maintained many tariffs on Chinese imports imposed by Trump.

“The pandemic response by China has definitely prompted more than a rethink on where to put new money. I think we are actually beginning to see action,” said Mary Lovely, a professor of economics at Syracuse University and a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics. How much of that investment came to the United States was unclear. “I don’t think anyone really knows,” Lovely said.

This is good news. We should be more responsible when it comes to manufacturing essential products in the U.S., like PPE for example. The fact that we were relying on China for essential products to fight a pandemic that originated in China was particularly frustrating.
I love that you highlighted this part of the article. I am on my phone so it’s a PITA to do this but was literally in the process of posting about this part of the article.

As someone who appreciates things that are locally made and unique I would love to see a move towards higher quality, locally made products.

Dare I say ”artisanal” to borrow a phrase heavily associated with my craftsman brothers and sisters from Portland.

Cheap crap mass produced has its time and place as well don’t get me wrong. I am definitely not meaning to knock the ability to get things quickly, cheaply, and easily.

But, not everything has to be about look at how cheap I was able to pick this up for. Many things we consume should be expensive and higher quality. Food is an easy one to point to but I’d love to see a shift into other areas as well.

I wonder how growing manufacturing in the US will affect the rate of inflation (wage-price spiral). It's also interesting to me that this manufacturing growth is persistent despite the strong dollar. But maybe if the markets are domestic, then the strong dollar helps with inputs to the manufacturing, but doesn't adversely affect sales since the goods aren't exported (and paid with other currencies).

I wonder how growing manufacturing in the US will affect the rate of inflation (wage-price spiral). It's also interesting to me that this manufacturing growth is persistent despite the strong dollar. But maybe if the markets are domestic, then the strong dollar helps with inputs to the manufacturing, but doesn't adversely affect sales since the goods aren't exported (and paid with other currencies).
I think some of this driven by the void left from pandemic and a shift in products people want to buy.

I think some of this driven by the void left from pandemic and a shift in products people want to buy.
Agree. People had money and were buying anything they could get.

Users who are viewing this thread