What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ravens sleeper team? (1 Viewer)

gocats

Footballguy
I have always felt that the Ravens where a QB away from a nasty nasty team. Even though they have an old defense, they will be top 10 overall at the very worst. When you evaluate their offensive players they are better expected. Todd Heap is a real good Tight End. Mason still is really good and I think that Jamal Lewis will be a gamebreaker following his dissapointing year last year. Kyle Boller has been killing that team for years now. If they got Steve McNair they could do real damage. Dont ever count McNair out, he is a hall of famer and when he is healthy he is top 10 easily. If he becomes a raven I am real scared of the Ravens. Everytime I watched the Ravens last year Kyle Boller missed easy passes that could have changed the game.

Your thoughts?

With a healthy Ed Reed and Collins/McNair at QB I think this team is a playoff team.

They'll need the running game to show up though. Lewis looked like a different player last year.

Besides the "McNair-HOF comment", I agree with everything you said.

Ravens could definately be a fantasy sleeper team this year.

If they get McNair they'll definitely be a playoff contender. But I do think their O-line and running game has become much less dominant than it was a few years ago. Jon Ogden and Edwin Mulitalo are beginning to show their age. I also sense some lingering resentment among ownership and players (Ray Lewis) towards Billick. Throw in Ed Reed's 2007 free agency and you have all the ingredients for chaos if this team doesn't get off to a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:
injuries and Boller were the end of the Ravens last season. Need a healthy Jamal and Ed

There's definitely a case to be made here for the Ravens. This division was rock solid last year. Things do change in a hurry in the NFL though, so I can see Baltimore improving and challenging that division. Brian Billick's mouth sometimes gets in the way of people giving him his just due for being an excellent HC. The guy just talks so much you sometimes want to shoot him. My gut is he will figure out a way to right this ship because at this point his A*# is on the line. The Ravens played alot without their 2 best players....Ed Reed and Lewis. And they were still carrying Deion...who was really only a distraction. Im not positive, but I believe Reed and Lewis will be back on the field this year, and Sanders will be gone. That's three major positives. This D will be much improved this year without a doubt factoring those 3 players in, not to mention some strong additions that Ozzie Newsome is famous for making in the draft. One of the best, imo. Throw in the fact that the 2 best teams in the division last year will be facing challenges involving an injured Carson Palmer, an absent ARandle-El and a retired Jerome Bettis, and I like Baltimore's prospects that much more. Cleveland should be an improved team, but still not ready yet to challenge for this division, imo.

On O, this team is an enigma. Billick has tried for 3 years to develop Kyle Boller, but the kid either gets hurt early or just stinks for the most part. Im guessing he'll get one more year on a short leash to sink or swim. He showed some flashes late last season basically when their season was over and there was no real pressure, but he played well nonetheless. Throwing McNair into this equation would shake things up, but I would expect if that were to happen, he would come in as the #2 behind Boller, but instructed to be on immediate standby. he would improve this team even as a backup. We'll see what happens there. The skills positions are nice. Two power backs in Lewis and Anderson will run the ball well with some blocking, and I like the combo or Mason, Clayton and Heap. There is some real talent here. Will they get the consistent effort UP FRONT? ...the burning question. Id look for them to go Oline early AND late. That is the key to this team being solid, imo. But Im drinking the koolaid this year with the Ravens. The potential is definitely there.

I think Billick sucks. When Lewis and Del Rio bolted they looked pretty bad. Hmmm....
that's actually a plausible reason for their demise. With another bad season Billick could be on the hotseat.

The Ravens defense has faded considerably and isn't nearly what it used to be. There are 2 pretty strong teams in their division --- Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. Boller is just not that good. So these hopes for them are based on a tough defense they no longer have, a QB not on the roster now, and a RB that has faded badly. It's not impossible that they contend, but it looks unlikely to me.

The Ravens will be better if they get McNair....for a while. I wouldn't count on him staying healthy for all 16 games, though.

In the AFC North of 2003 or possibly even 2002, they would win the division. But the AFC North isn't weak anymore....they're definetly not as good as Pittsburgh or Cincy, so they'll likely be 3rd in the division, and out of the playoffs.

Dont ever count McNair out, he is a hall of famer and when he is healthy he is top 10 easily.

Your thoughts?
WHy is he a hall of famer? Every good player does not belong in the Hall of Fame. He has been a pro-bowler twice in 11 years (this year he was only there due to injuries to Brady, Brees and Palmer), and probably should have been there two other times. He a a hall of very gooder.

Good question.

Without a doubt this is a dangerous sleeper team. John Clayton is saying McNair will be in Baltimore and with an impact defense that is healthy, they can beat anyone. AFC is real tough but if Baltimore flies under the radar into the season, they will be a very tough team to gage for teams who may be underestimating them. I like them to make the playoffs. :2cents:

As a Steeler fan I'm honestly more worried about Cleveland this year then the Ravens. Thats not a knock either I think both Cleveland and Cinni with some luck in regards to the injuries are going to be very good teams and the Ravens will be last in the division. Just a opinion though no indepth analysis to back it up but I feel the Ravens are still a year or two away from having anything more then an average team.

Even though they have an old defense, they will be top 10 overall at the very worst.

Your thoughts?
Anyone else disagree with this? They have no D-Line, old LBs, and their CB play really dropped off last year. Not only could they drop out of the top 10 Ds, they might not stay in the top 20.

Even though they have an old defense, they will be top 10 overall at the very worst.

Your thoughts?
Anyone else disagree with this?
Yes. I mentioned earlier in the thread thath they had faded considerably. They were 10th in the league in scoring defense last year, and 14th in a couple of my fantasy leagues. They're not getting younger, there was dissension and lack of control by Billick last year, and Lewis is neither younger nor happy Billick is back.

Your thoughts?
Anyone else disagree with this?
Yes. I mentioned earlier in the thread thath they had faded considerably. They were 10th in the league in scoring defense last year, and 14th in a couple of my fantasy leagues. They're not getting younger, there was dissension and lack of control by Billick last year, and Lewis is neither younger nor happy Billick is back.
Let's not forget that they don't have a starting weak safety yet.

Dont ever count McNair out, he is a hall of famer and when he is healthy he is top 10 easily.

Your thoughts?
WHy is he a hall of famer? Every good player does not belong in the Hall of Fame. He has been a pro-bowler twice in 11 years (this year he was only there due to injuries to Brady, Brees and Palmer), and probably should have been there two other times. He a a hall of very gooder.
As much as I admire Steve McNair for his toughness - he is NOT HOF bound

if by sleeper you mean in a coma then yeah they are a sleaper. Oline is not good. Ray Lewis the heart and soul of the team wants out. Plus Cleveland has made some decent strides this year. Baltimore is the cellar dwellar in that division.

Users who are viewing this thread