What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (1 Viewer)

did I read it correctly that the Chiefs will possibly start 5 new offensive linemen this season compared to last year?

I think we need to change the nickname of Helaire from CEH to Meh..looks like joe averageman to me. 

King of the Jungle said:
Not exactly what you want to hear…

NFL Beat Writers Retweeted

Nate Taylor

@ByNateTaylor

·

34m

In 1-on-1 drills, Ben Niemann overwhelmed Clyde Edwards-Helaire in 2 repetitions. Eric Bieniemy wasn’t pleased.

This was the red flag on him last summer, correct? Lousy in pass protection.

Guess it's still a thing.

This was the red flag on him last summer, correct? Lousy in pass protection.

Guess it's still a thing.
There was a ton of data saying the chiefs don't use their rbs to pass block back in the thread I'm way too lazy to find.  Not like mahomes can't scramble around in the backfield for ten minutes then make a pinpoint throw while horizontal anyway.

There was a ton of data saying the chiefs don't use their rbs to pass block back in the thread I'm way too lazy to find.  Not like mahomes can't scramble around in the backfield for ten minutes then make a pinpoint throw while horizontal anyway.
I was just thinking l, “they didn’t draft gun to be a blocking TE”. 

So yeah - spot on.  Would be nice if he could at least disrupt a little. But they have a bigger back that can do that. Hopefully when CEH is running a route for a long receiving TD. 

did I read it correctly that the Chiefs will possibly start 5 new offensive linemen this season compared to last year?
Its not like they lost a bunch of starters, and replaced them with nobodies. They added 2 pro bowlers, a day 2 rookie, and got a starter(maybe 2) back from opting out. The OL should be much improved, and a top-10 group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh... was so stoked he fell to me in my draft last night. Hopefully it’s no big deal. Williams and McKinnon are sitting on the wire, don’t even know if they’re worth putting in bids for. 

Sigh... was so stoked he fell to me in my draft last night. Hopefully it’s no big deal. Williams and McKinnon are sitting on the wire, don’t even know if they’re worth putting in bids for. 
As long as it's not a high ankle sprain and is indeed mild, he should be ok by the start of the season with 3 weeks to rest up. 

Sounds like NBD.  The way Reid described it it sounded like the sort of thing players tape up & play through in important games. We’ll see what follow-up testing shows, but from the reports so far it doesn’t sound like a big thing. 

I took him in the first round of a dynasty dispersal draft recently and hated myself for doing it. I think I took him over CeeDee Lamb. RBs are at a premium in this league, though.

I'm kicking myself. Never been sold on this guy, as so much typing in this thread can attest to. I decided to go with consensus instead of myself on this one. I think I was right in the first place.

I just traded for him - he’s my ride or die now. :shrug:  

Don’t cry for me @rockaction- he didn’t have his foot amputated. :lol:
This is why I weep at night. For the souls that have a 5'6 1/2", overweight back on their roster as their main guy.

You might as well have had Jaret Patterson, who looks better than Helaire does.

Flame away, it's all I've got, too.

Twitterverse now speculating that this could be either 2-3 weeks or Michael Thomas all over again due to the sprain being medial. Anyone hear anything yet?

@Jene Bramel

If he is healthy he will produce because of the offense he is in. He is a good but not great player with limitations. Probably never will be the best goal line or pass pro RB out there. Will need an uptick in receptions to maximize his production. Him already being hurt is a concern.

I have big hopes for this guy....but am wondering if he goes down, is Jerick or Darrel the guy to own.

Mckinnon has looked good this preseason and has gotten praise from Andy Reid.

Watching people draft this guy again is like seeing 13 year olds who still believe in Santa. It's not even cute anymore, just sad. 

I have big hopes for this guy....but am wondering if he goes down, is Jerick or Darrel the guy to own.

Mckinnon has looked good this preseason and has gotten praise from Andy Reid.

I think it'll end up being a RBBC. They like Williams on 3rd down, but McKinnon is the better pass catcher. Not sure exactly how it will play out. I don't know if a cuff is worth it if you have a decent RB3 / backup that can slot in.

Watching people draft this guy again is like seeing 13 year olds who still believe in Santa. It's not even cute anymore, just sad. 

He's only had 1 mediocre year as a rookie and he still finished a back end RB2. You make it sound like he's had a long history of letting people down lol. I think the risk is fine at his ADP.

Opposite opinion for me. I think it's adorable that people drafted him in the 1st Round last year but now he's going 2.08.

Like, what changed? He had 803 rushing yards and 26 catches for 297 receiving yards in 13 games.

That prorates to:

988 rushing yards / 365 receiving yards

His 4.4 YPC was serviceable. It's still the best offense in the league and god forbid a rookie become a better player in year 2.

Last year he was overhyped. This year, he presents value as those who overpaid for him last year are still scorned. I got him pegged for an uptick in usage:

1,200 / 10 TD rushing & 475 / 3 TD receiving

Just like any other market, buy low.
I don't think it is fair to make a "if the undersized RB didn't get hurt, he would have done...".  If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ### so much either. In the end, he is a slow undersized RB who didn't do much of anything in college until he found himself on the most prolific passing offense in NCAA history. His greatest strength is as a pass catcher and so far Mahomes has passed to RBs below the league average. 

He's only had 1 mediocre year as a rookie and he still finished a back end RB2. You make it sound like he's had a long history of letting people down lol. I think the risk is fine at his ADP.
I just generally don't like drafting players  just because of the team they landed on. Not in the first couple rounds. He is James White, not an NFL feature back IMO. 

Better yet, look at his statline from the Super Bowl against a VERY GOOD Buccanneers defense:

9 carries for 64 yards (7.1 YPC)
2 catches for 23 yards (11.5 YPR)

He's got the juice. Granted, I understand that the game was a blowout so he was seeing soft defenses. But I take that as a good sign. Even in a "bad gamescript" where KC isn't running the ball 20+ times, he still managed to give you:

64 rushing yards = 6.4 points
2 catches = 2 points
23 receiving yards = 2.3 points

10.7 fantasy points? I mean that's not great, but considering he only touched the ball 11 times, I think that's very serviceable floor. The only reason you wouldn't be bullish on him, is if you were expecting 1,200 / 8 TD out of him from the gate. It's funny how people no longer think he has that ceiling, when if anything he could have REACHED closed to those expectations if he didn't miss 3 games.

He had a 138 rushing yard game and a 161 rushing yard game as a rookie. You know the ceiling is there. If he eclipses 100 yards in any of the 3 games he missed and he's easily a 1,100+ yard rusher with whatever touchdowns and receiving yards comes with that.
A) It's one game, not sure what that really means

B) He got 11 touches, not exactly a banner waiving game 

I understand why people like him, it's really the same reasons as last year. He's not going to be brutal. He could be similar to 2020 Kenyon Drake. That just isn't a guy I want late 2nd or early 3rd. 

You know what's amazing.? Is watching me in this thread be so correct so far. Then me going out in a dispersal draft and selecting him over some other top-flight guys.

It's mind-bottling. I didn't have the courage of my own convictions. He's short. He's slow. He's small. He's not very good.

OMG BETTER DRAFT HIM

Such and enigma for me, this CEH. Offense and pedigree scream buy low. Eye test says tread careful. I was expecting more burst and pop from this dude last season. May have been rookie year jitters. May have been his MO. If the latter, this will likely devolve into a full blown RBBC, as Darrell W has the pop and Jerrick the burst.

Or he could finish as the #1 RB in fantasy if he takes the full lion's share of the Chief RB fantasy opps/points.

Crazy.

He arguably has the best BMI / center of gravity / build of all those players listed who can get the job done. .

No, he doesn't. FootballOutsiders did an article on top running backs and BMI. Helaire is as he looks.

He's too fat. Too much BMI. You're making the mistake of thinking BMI>31, then the better. It's not.

He has the same build as MJD. You don't think MJD had a good BMI? A little confused here. I thought his low center of gravity is what made him special. I figure a guy built exactly the same would have that same or similar benefits?
No, I don't. I think MJD had a BMI that was an outlier in that he actually too heavy. Most of the backs listed in the article as being successful fantasy backs had a BMI of 29-31. Edwards-Helaire clocked in at the combine at 31.8, which is a bit too heavy. MJD, Devonta Freeman, and Saquon are others that finished highly that had a BMI of over 31, but they were outliers, and Saquon's was .1 over, not nearly a full point.

Here's the article. You can draw your own conclusions from it, as I've already argued in this thread at length about it.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/projection-points/2020/running-back-growth-potential-starts-size

Not only does Edwards-Helaire carry too much weight, his speed score is terrible for a back. Well, not terrible. Just an outlier. So he's an outlier in height, weight, and speed.

All three add up to HARD PASS.

I might be dumb, but there’s not much to think about. Rebuilt offensive line and GOATish passing game to leave huge holes for him. CEH is going to have a huge season. Good round 2 pick. 

Of course analysis like this requires you to actually look into game logs and pluck stats, not just quote an article someone else wrote. But whatever, I don't mind putting in the work for you guys.

You could just as easily spin this as Kenyan Drake ran for more yards in a single game than CEH last year. 

I'm a little confused. You are blaming him missing 3 games on being undersized? Name me 1 fantasy relevant RB that hasn't missed at least 3 games in a given season. :lol:

####, if you told me the RB I was drafting was ONLY going to miss 3 games, I would be thrilled. Runningbacks get hurt, it's what they do. As far as undersized? I don't see it.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire: 5 ft 7, 207 lbs
Dalvin Cook: 5 ft 10, 210 lbs
Aaron Jones: 5 ft 9, 208 lbs
Ronald Jones: 5 ft 11, 208 lbs
Kenyan Drake: 6 ft 1, 211 lbs
Miles Sanders: 5 ft 11, 211 lbs
JK Dobbins: 5 ft 10, 212 lbs

Maurice Jones-Drew: 5ft 7, 207 lbs

So to your argument, he literally is the same exact size as MJD and is within 5 lbs or less of all the other backs featured despite being between 6 inches or less shorter. He arguably has the best BMI / center of gravity / build of all those players listed who can get the job done. But I will cede, because if I don't say he is undersized, then I would also be arguing that MJD wasn't undersized because he definitely was.

But I get it, we all have our preferences. I just think this guy is a stud and Andy Reid's offense is super complicated and given a little more seasoning, he will be a stud.

MJD was a bowling ball. CEH had trouble breaking tackles from what I saw.

And I’m not blaming him being small for getting hurt though I think size matters for health. I agree RBs get hurt. Its unfair though to say if CEH played all 16 games he would do X without all using the context of what all the other RBs would have done if they had played 16 games. I look at my PPR league, CEH was 25th in ppg.

Users who are viewing this thread