What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Montgomery, DET (1 Viewer)

Bears placed David Montgomery (knee) on injured reserve.

Montgomery will miss at least three games now, but he could remain on injured reserve for longer. Initial reports on his knee injury indicated that he would be out for about a month so moving him to injured reserve was mostly a formality. Damien Williams projects to see the bulk of Montgomery's touches while he is sidelined. Khalil Herbert, a sixth-round pick from the Bears' 2021 draft class, will back up Williams. With a massive workload up for grabs, Williams should be in line for RB2 fantasy numbers until Montgomery returns.

RELATED: 

Damien Williams

, Khalil Herbert

SOURCE: Doug Kyed on Twitter

Oct 9, 2021, 2:16 PM ET

Latest Bears injury updates on David Montgomery, Khalil Mack and more

Excerpt:

It’s hard to believe running back David Montgomery has been sidelined for a month, but rookie Khalil Herbert has made the loss bearable. Montgomery suffered a knee sprain back in Week 4 against the Lions, where he was fortunate to avoid a serious injury, although he was placed on injured reserve. Given Montgomery has missed three games, he’s eligible to return from IR this week. Nagy didn’t really give an update on Montgomery rather he said, “He is improving every day.”

Found this on Sportingnews, dated 2 Nov:

Montgomery (knee) can return from IR at any point, but Matt Nagy isn't providing much information on his status. Nagy has said Montgomery is "improving every day", but we don't have anything more than that. If he does return this week, it will be a surprise given the lack of news, and since Chicago doesn't play until Monday, it's tough to trust him in fantasy lineups even if things are trending the right way. Unless you own Khalil Herbert, it would be tough to find any sort of competent replacement if you run the risk here.

Speaking of Herbert, his stellar play figures to hurt Montgomery's season-long fantasy outlook. Coming off of a knee injury, we can expect his workload to be reduced, and this could shape up to be more of a shared backfield. Pittsburgh gives up the sixth-fewest fantasy points to RBs, so Herbert ranks as our RB17 in standard and PPR leagues.

And found this on yahoo, dated 1 Nov

It’s hard to believe running back David Montgomery has been sidelined for a month, but rookie Khalil Herbert has made the loss bearable. Montgomery suffered a knee sprain back in Week 4 against the Lions, where he was fortunate to avoid a serious injury, although he was placed on injured reserve. Given Montgomery has missed three games, he’s eligible to return from IR this week. Nagy didn’t really give an update on Montgomery rather he said, “He is improving every day.”

This morning on Sirius XM Fantasy Football with the Guru, they mentioned talking with the Bears, that he will be activated and may play this week if he looks good and all goes well.

The Chicago Tribune's Brad Biggs believes it's possible David Montgomery (knee, I.R.) may not be back until after the Bears' Week 10 bye.

That would be one more game, of course, but Montgomery's 21-day window for activation has yet to even open, and there hasn't been any indication he's nearing a return. The Bears, however, play Monday night, so their first practice report of the week will come Thursday. Khalil Herbert could get one more start this week against the Steelers, but Biggs believes Herbert has earned carries even when Montgomery is back in the lineup.

SOURCE: Chicago Tribune

Nov 3, 2021, 11:10 PM ET

NFL Insider Adam Caplan reports Bears RB David Montgomery. (knee, IR) is "on track" to return to practice ahead of Week 9.

It's the first update we have received on Montgomery since he was placed on injured reserve in Week 5. Considering his 21-day window has yet to open, Montgomery is still expected to be held out through the team's Week 10 bye. Khalil Herbert is guaranteed at least one more start on Sunday since Damien Williams is also battling a knee injury.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Nov 4, 2021, 11:43 AM ET

The Chicago Tribune's Dan Wiederer reports "the hope" is for David Montgomery (knee, injured reserved) to get "at least some work on Monday night."

The Bears opened Montgomery's 21-day practice window on Thursday, and it would seem they want to get his feet wet before their Week 10 bye. The third-year pro still has a number of hurdles to clear between now and Monday evening's game against the Steelers, but D-Mont's Week 9 return should at least now be considered a real possibility. Even if Montgomery is snap counted, his presence would be enough to knock Khalil Herbert from the RB2 ranks. 

Bears coach Matt Nagy suggested David Montgomery (knee) will still get the bulk of carries when activated from injured reserve.

Rookie Khalil Herbert has performed admirably in Montgomery's stead, rushing for 70-plus yards (for 4.4 YPC) in four consecutive games, but Nagy remains adamant Montgomery will still lead Chicago's backfield upon returning from injured reserve; the team activated his 21-day practice window on Thursday. With no update on Tarik Cohen of late, it's possible the Bears take the ball out of Justin Fields' hands entirely and morph into a run-heavy team behind both backs. Herbert could still have minor FLEX appeal if afforded at least eight touches per game once Montgomery is healthy.

RELATED: 

Khalil Herbert

SOURCE: Mark Grote on Twitter

Nov 4, 2021, 1:05 PM ET

That is what I like to hear.  I would still like them to sit him this weekend.  Then he has two weeks to be fully recovered.  That lines up well with when their schedule gets very easy.

Unfortunately we could be in a scenario where neither back produces as expected until week 11, and possibly beyond :(  

Herbert was a blessing in how well he stepped up in Monty's absence... but he may end up being the curse rendering them both a fraction of themselves. Nagy says this won't be the case... and I want to believe him... I just don't, yet. 

Khalil Herbert's backfield till further notice. Monty wasn't half as good this season when playing. Monty only did well last year vs high defenses packing it in week 10 onward.

clearly the best RB on the team is Herbert and he's going to be the starter going forward. 

Khalil Herbert's backfield till further notice. Monty wasn't half as good this season when playing. Monty only did well last year vs high defenses packing it in week 10 onward.

clearly the best RB on the team is Herbert and he's going to be the starter going forward. 
Man, I thought I was the biggest Herbert fan on the board. I feel like Herbert has certainly earned himself a role, and is almost a lock to be ahead of Williams going forward. That said, Montgomery is 100% still the starter. 

Herbert should be plenty involved though. He's got much more big play potential, but Montgomery is a better pass catcher and a better short yardage runner. 

The Bears also are much more run heavy than in previous years because of Fields. That will likely only get bigger with Montgomery back. I could see Montgomery getting 20 touches and Herbert still getting 10-15 every week.

You wish, obviously a Herbert owner 

Nonsense.  Lol

Now that’s a HOT take!!

Wow, time to start looking at the game as real football and not just the fantasy where you own Herbert. 

Speaking to reporters Saturday, Bears coach Matt Nagy said that there was "a really good chance" that David Montgomery will be activated for Monday night's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.  

Nagy noted that he thought Montgomery looked "really good" in practice this week. The rhetoric has been trending in the right direction all week and Montgomery is practicing again today (he won't have an official status given because he's still in his return window), so fantasy managers should be prepared to deal with Montgomery siphoning off a chunk of Khalil Herbert's value this week. How big of a chunk that is in the first game back from injury will be anyone's guess, but Herbert probably should be looked at more as an RB3 than an RB2 against the Steelers. 

SOURCE: Larry Meyer on Twitter

Nov 6, 2021, 2:30 PM ET

FBG's are acknowledging that most likely David Montgomery plays on MNF and the projections put him in Flex consideration now. For my team it means I could end of pivoting off of Chase Claypool to Montgomery if I hear confident news before kick off. Others won't have that luxury. Montgomery will probably have a limited role that amass 50-60 total yards, couple receptions and about .5 chance to score. In .5 ppr resulting in 10-13 points. Any takers?

FBG's are acknowledging that most likely David Montgomery plays on MNF and the projections put him in Flex consideration now. For my team it means I could end of pivoting off of Chase Claypool to Montgomery if I hear confident news before kick off. Others won't have that luxury. Montgomery will probably have a limited role that amass 50-60 total yards, couple receptions and about .5 chance to score. In .5 ppr resulting in 10-13 points. Any takers?
Makes Montgomery or Herbert tough to start if you own either or both, without knowing what the pitch counts might be.

Crazy to me he would play. But certainly seems to be tending that way. Makes him and Herbert super shaky. Herbert playing so well also limits both their value this season.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said David Montgomery (knee) will be activated off injured reserve and will play Monday night against the Steelers. 

How big a workload Montgomery will see in his first game back from injury is a question fantasy managers will ask all day. Montgomery, who operated as Chicago's workhorse before the Week 4 knee injury, could split carries and targets with impressive rookie RB Khalil Herbert or be eased in with a relatively small workload. Herbert has a decent chance of leading the Bears in backfield touches against Pittsburgh, though his fantasy ceiling vanishes with Montgomery's return. 

RELATED: 

Khalil Herbert

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 8, 2021, 12:00 PM ET

David Montgomery rushed 13 times for 63 yards in the Bears' Week 9 loss to the Steelers.

He added two catches for 17 yards on a pair of pass-game targets. Making his first appearance since his Week 4 knee injury, Montgomery immediately resumed workhorse duties, out-touching Khalil Herbert 15-4 and seeing the only two backfield targets among the duo. Herbert is merely a bench stash moving forward while Montgomery will be an every-week RB2 after the bye and gets the Ravens in Week 11.

Nov 9, 2021, 12:04 AM ET

He was running well. Looked quick. This wildcat thing they had him running was also working.
Looked as good as ever in my eyes. I'm a huge Herbert fan, but if Montgomery got this much his first week back, then they pretty clearly view him as the clear workhorse. With workloads like this is short supply, its not hard to make a case for Montgomery as a low-end RB1 going forward.

There are statements made like this on the board every year. 2nd string guy fills in well for the injured starter. Whoever has that backup they are convinced the starter can’t take the job back. What people forget is they were a starter for a reason. The coach made that assessment over many practices/games. Most of the time that will outweigh a couple good games. 

There are statements made like this on the board every year. 2nd string guy fills in well for the injured starter. Whoever has that backup they are convinced the starter can’t take the job back. What people forget is they were a starter for a reason. The coach made that assessment over many practices/games. Most of the time that will outweigh a couple good games. 
We will see though as far as dynasty. The Bears have a lot of other holes to fill on this roster.
Herbert could be the starter next year if they can trade Montgomery for a pick in the off-season or they could have the confidence in Herbert to let Montgomery walk after 2022 season.

(FantasyPros) Bears RB David Montgomery rushed 13 times for 63 yards and caught both of his targets for 17 yards in Monday night's 29-27 loss to the Steelers. Analysis: It was a decent outing for the veteran back. Montgomery ran for 63 yards and caught two balls for 17 yards in his return from an injury. It was his first game back since week 4, he didn't look very impressive getting outshined by Khalil Hebert on several runs. Going on a bye this week should help Montgomery in his recovery process. Look for the veteran to return to top-15 RB status moving forward.
I didn't watch the game very closely, but did see a couple of runs by Montgomery where he looked just fine.  Could someone who did please elaborate as to how the heck Herbert's 4 carries for 13 yards and NO catches outshined Montgomery "on several runs"?   

Users who are viewing this thread