What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (7 Viewers)

If they haven't already started making them, be ready for inevitable Eric Dickerson comparisons.

People see the weight difference and think it's too big a gap to be apples to apples, but ED was the size of the linebackers he was playing against in college, so in terms of on-field dynamics, I think it's something to look at. The height and stride made me think ED right away.
Dickerson was a big dude but his running style was closer to Jamaal Charles than Henry, that is what made him so great.

Henry's about to teach Yeldon how to appropriately live up to the hype you generated as a young part-time runner, when given the starting job.
Yeldon never got the shot that Henry is about to. There's no one behind Henry but a true freshman (who you should also keep an eye on in Damian Harris). Henry's going to get the ball enough to hit 1500 yards.

I'm not sold on DH in the NFL...certainly not to the level of Lacy. He's top heavy and stiff. He looks for contact. Although his blocking improved so there's signs he's getting better.

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior RB Derrick Henry carried the ball 23 times for 127 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's 43-37 loss to Ole Miss.
Henry tried his darnedest to put the Crimson Tide on his back, but even the 6-foot-3, 238-pound junior's back was not strong enough for that load against an Ole Miss team that looked like the best in the country on Saturday. But try he did, nonetheless. His two-yard touchdown run with six minutes remaining in the fourth quarter drew Alabama to within 43-30. They would subsequently score another touchdown with just over four minutes left in the contest, but wouldn't find paydirt again as they fell by a final score of 43-37. Tough loss aside, Henry's rushed for 370 yards and seven touchdowns in the first three games. Even when he's relatively limited in terms of yardage, his bulldozing style makes him a perfect touchdown threat regardless of the match-up. Earlier this week, CBS Sports draft analyst Dane Brugler compared him to former Raven Jamal Lewis.

Sep 20 - 2:46

Rotoworld:

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. believes Alabama junior RB Derrick Henry is a "solid" round 2 pick if he comes out for the NFL Draft.
The draft analyst notes that it's not a "knock" to Henry's game, going in the second round, but it's based on how running backs are valued these days. The Alabama prospect has already rushed for 370 yards and seven touchdowns in the first three games of the season, for the Crimson Tide.

Source: Mel Kiper Jr. on Twitter
Sep 25 - 2:26 PM

Is give him a late 2nd, early 3rd grade. It's not a knock, but not a ringing encouragement either.

His size/speed ratio is hard to ignore. I see him as scheme dependent and not creative enough to warrant 1st round recognition.

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior RB Derrick Henry churned out 95 yards and a touchdown on 27 carries in Saturday's 27-14 win over Arkansas.
This was far from Henry's most impressive outing during the 2015 campaign, but he did score a touchdown. He's done that in every game this season. Indeed, he hasn't been held out of the end zone since last November. Not too shabby. Through six games, the 6-foot-3, 238-pound junior's rushed for 665 yards while scoring 10 touchdowns.

Oct 10 - 11:18 PM

Rotoworld:

Half of Alabama junior RB Derrick Henry's rushing yards have come after contact, according to CFB Film Room.

329 of 665 rushing yards, to be exact. Henry does go down on contact behind or near the line of scrimmage when hit low, however, he can run through defenders and pick up big gains if given space to pick up speed. Henry has four rushing plays of 30-plus yards this season.

Source: CFB Film Room

Oct 13 - 11:27 AM

I read a Bama homer on here say it's the best DL they've ever had. Don't know if that's true but it's certainly saying something.

It's interesting to think how much money may have been on the line last night (between these two stellar RBs).

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior RB Derrick Henry's "stock is certainly rising as a potential lead back at the next level" after Saturday's performance against LSU, writes NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks.

As Leonard Fournette languished across the field, Henry went off, rushing for 210 yards and three touchdowns on 38 carries, which "confirmed his ability to carry an offense with his rugged running style," per Brooks. Brooks went on to write that the NFL loved watching Henry gouge an LSU defense full of NFL-caliber talent. The 6-foot-3, 242-pounder has 1,254 yards with 17 touchdowns across nine contests.

Source: NFL.com

Nov 10 - 3:44 PM

I read a Bama homer on here say it's the best DL they've ever had. Don't know if that's true but it's certainly saying something.

It's interesting to think how much money may have been on the line last night (between these two stellar RBs).
Henry is coming out this year, he has more to gain or lose. Leonard has one more year, I still believe he's the better of the two. That game did not change my view of the two.

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Entering Saturday's Iron Bowl showdown with Auburn, junior RB Derrick Henry has a chance to set single-season school records for rushing yards and rushing touchdowns.

Henry's sitting on 1,526 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns. The Crimson Tide single-season record for rushing touchdowns should be easy enough to surpass, barring Henry's legs disintegrating or Auburn (who surrendered 34 points to Idaho on Saturday) drinking a magic defensive potion. He's currently tied with Trent Richardson, who had 21 of 'em in 2011. Richardson also holds the yardage mark for a singular campaign, having rushed for 1,679 yards in that same 2011 campaign. That figures to be a bit trickier, as Henry'll need 153 rushing yards to match Richardson, 154 to surpass him. For reference's sake, the 6-foot-3, 238-pound junior's notched 153-plus in three of eleven games.

Source: al.com

Nov 23 - 8:48 PM

271 yards on 46(!) carries today. As far as dynasty rankings right now, is he in the Michael Thomas / Corey Coleman range, or a touch below that?

Rotoworld:

Derrick Henry - RB - Crimson Tide

Alabama junior RB Derrick Henry "is a unique three-down back with the physical tools to thrive as a feature back," NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks observes.

"Henry exhibits rare speed and quickness for a big back. He flashes the burst to turn the corner on outside runs, but also shows the acceleration to get to the second level on power runs between the tackles," Brooks wrote. The 6-foot-3, 242-pound Henry isn't just your average three-down workhorse, while he can tote the rock for those tough-needed yards, he can also flash that 4.4 speed in space. The Alabama prospect showcases the ability as a pass catcher out of the backfield, with soft hands as well. On the year, Henry has rushed for 1797 yards on 295 carries, with a whopping 22 touchdowns on the year.

Source: NFL.com

Nov 30 - 2:23 PM

Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, and TJ Yeldon give me pause.

I suspect that I myself could rush for 1,000 yards behind the Alabama o-line.

Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, and TJ Yeldon give me pause.

I suspect that I myself could rush for 1,000 yards behind the Alabama o-line.
Ingram, Lacy and to a smaller extent Yeldon (who is a rookie) have been excellent NFL backs. Richardson should have been, but he turned out to be a lazy head case.

Henry's about to teach Yeldon how to appropriately live up to the hype you generated as a young part-time runner, when given the starting job.
More like teach Yeldon how Alabama backs are suppose to bust. But seriously I don't see the hype about him. He looks good but I don't see the appeal of a world beater from what I've seen.

More like teach Yeldon how Alabama backs are suppose to bust. But seriously I don't see the hype about him. He looks good but I don't see the appeal of a world beater from what I've seen.
Really? Dude looks and plays like the best rb prospect since Peterson (with all due respect to Gurley).

I'd consider trading a ton to get him but don't have a top 6 pick in any league so it would be extremely hard to trade, especially given the risk that the Bama line is the biggest reason for his success.

if he ends up in Dallas, the hype will be out of control.

Really? Dude looks and plays like the best rb prospect since Peterson (with all due respect to Gurley).

I'd consider trading a ton to get him but don't have a top 6 pick in any league so it would be extremely hard to trade, especially given the risk that the Bama line is the biggest reason for his success.

Unbelievable

Henry is a good college RB and great athlete for his size. However, he has a horrible body type for the RB position. Long legs/top heavy have made it difficult for him to maintain his balance, cut outside of his frame, stop/start, and lateral agility beyond a 45 degree angle. Go watch the Auburn tape at draftbreakdown, he falls down all the time...due to his body type. He's a downhill runner that needs a good OL to succeed. Other runners that are quick and have lateral agility can compensate for a worse OL. Henry would be miserable behind a bad OL. If you watch tape, Bama creates a running game that's downhill and holds backside DE's with jet sweeps to allow for a less than 45 degree angle cutback inside of that DE if Henry needs to. Straight ahead running only works with a great OL...not many of those exist in the NFL.

He's a worse version of DMC. Remember DMC in Oakland? Long legs prevented him from avoiding all of the defenders in the backfield because he didn't possess the agility. The OL was terrible and got owned by defensive fronts. Now in Dallas DMC is a solid RB in his late years. This is exactly what Henry needs.

I think Henry and Elliott are both "can't miss" prospects.
They're both not elite prospects and people will overhype them because they're simply the top this year. But they can't hold Gurley/AP's jock and those are the only can't miss RB prospects recently.

You're not respecting what kind of prospect Gurley was... Henry looks good but he's more Blount than Gurley is the nicest way I could put it. I won't be surprised if Henry has a solid NFL career but he is no AP or Gurley and it really isn't very close.

Zyphros said:
Really? Dude looks and plays like the best rb prospect since Peterson (with all due respect to Gurley).I'd consider trading a ton to get him but don't have a top 6 pick in any league so it would be extremely hard to trade, especially given the risk that the Bama line is the biggest reason for his success.

You're not respecting what kind of prospect Gurley was... Henry looks good but he's more Blount than Gurley is the nicest way I could put it. I won't be surprised if Henry has a solid NFL career but he is no AP or Gurley and it really isn't very close.
Looked back at Gurley and you're right.

I do think he's better than McFadden.

I recently saw stats of his over-usage in HS. Everyone speaks of his mileage in college but he did share the rock with Yeldon.

Is this talk overblown or should this be a concern with him?

Users who are viewing this thread